PDA

View Full Version : Camera/Video Camera recommendations?

Ken S.
10-07-2008, 03:04 PM
I've been thinking about getting a new camera for this hawking season... and then found this HD video camera that looks like it takes pretty good still pictures too. Sony HDR-SR11

http://soniccameras.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4950&extra_info=features

The little sony video camera I have now films straight to DVD but I don't think the quality of the video is that great... especially when trying to watch it on my high def tv. I figure if I'm gonna carry around a video camera and go to the trouble of shooting footage, I want it to be more professional quality.

Has anyone tried one of these? Anyone have any camera or video camera recommendations?

laj
10-12-2008, 04:19 PM
I have the SR12 and absolutely love it.

A word of warning if you think about ordering from that site and most site similar to that one, they are ALL a SCAM. Cheap price to lure you to order, then bait and switch. I almost order from one last year when they came out and did a little research to find out they were scam sites. They will tell you to contact them after ordering and will tell you it will either come without a battery or lense and charge you an arm and a leg for one. Do a search on the website and the word scam and it will bring a true review and not those made up ones on their website.

Ken S.
10-12-2008, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the warning, I had only found that in some search results and didn't read it carefully. I will likely find a reputable site to buy from and make sure I read the fine print!

Ken S.
10-12-2008, 06:17 PM
Do you have any recommendations on accessories? ie - did you buy the larger battery?

How do you like the video software that came with it?

Thanks again...

laj
10-12-2008, 07:17 PM
The only accessories that I purchased was a bag, a 4G and a 8G memory stick. You'd be surprise how much video and photos you can pack into a 4G stick. I record all my falconry related video to a memory stick for easy transfer to the computer. Since I record almost everything in standard definition and on to the memory stick (very clear, BTW) I haven't had the need to fool around with the supplied software. Our season starts tomorrow, I am sure I will need a bigger battery soon.