PDA

View Full Version : Aplomado

Ken S.
10-07-2008, 03:43 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/saubier/falconry/websize/aplomado.JPG

FredFogg
10-07-2008, 04:35 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/saubier/falconry/websize/aplomado.JPG

Ken, that is one beautiful bird, but I don't remember Maryland looking like that? LOL

harpia
10-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Are you free flying her yet. I am still afraid to let mine go free yet. She does great in the house but freaks out if she is outside.

A real pain to get to and from the field.

Are you using a hood or giant hood?

harpia
10-07-2008, 06:53 PM
Is it a imprint or chamber bird.

Ken S.
10-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Sorry it's not my bird(and I mean that I wish it was :) )... it's a picture I took a week ago in Florida and I fell in love with those little falcons. This picture was from a male/female cast being flown, and they were fantastic. To answer your questions, I believe they were dual-imprints, and transported in giant hoods. They seemed very calm in the field and coming out of the box too. I want one. I plan to trap a merlin to fly next year before I spend the money on one and we'll see how that goes first. I'll send you a PM with more info.

Tiercel78
10-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Where at in Florida and who flies them?

kimmerar
10-08-2008, 07:46 AM
A friend of mine bought a pair this summer. They are 08 hatchlings. The female is real nice. I held her with no problem. She even preened my hair. The tiercel is a different story. He bated once or twice and then settled in. A lot more spooky. We were at an apprentice workshop and there were alot of people around. He has free flown both but he's worried about the male. Female no problem. I don't think she has taken game yet but it's not due to not trying. I haven't talked with him in a week. He is hooding the female but I'm not sure about the male. He was hard penned when he got them and the female still had a little down on her head.

I'll check in with him this weekend and see how things are going if you want.

Ken S.
10-08-2008, 09:54 AM
I'll check in with him this weekend and see how things are going if you want.

Yes please share any info you can... I'm dying to hear more about other people's experience with them.