PDA

View Full Version : Quail Hunting Wingover shot(Pueblo CO)

Hawkingcolorado
10-21-2008, 09:10 AM
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e28/hawkingcolorado/Pueblo.jpg

We tried Scale Quail last Thursday, but didn't get any. It was pretty windy, but fun......He was chasing pretty good. I'll be going back down there soon.-Tim

Bryant Tarr
10-21-2008, 09:12 AM
Nice shot!!!!! clapp

Raptorick
10-21-2008, 09:12 AM
Now thats cool! hard to see that in real time.

Falcon Boy
10-21-2008, 11:40 AM
You were in pueblo and didn't call me? What the crap! I wanna see some stuff get chased by goshawks! [pS-6 pigeons died from chucks yesterday]

Saluqi
10-21-2008, 11:57 AM
Great shot Tim! The most fun I have with gosses is flying scaled quail with my tiercel. My female completely ignores them, drives me crazy!

Hawkingcolorado
10-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Great shot Tim! The most fun I have with gosses is flying scaled quail with my tiercel. My female completely ignores them, drives me crazy!

Paul,
I'm looking foward to trying again soon....We saw hundreds!!!!-Tim

everetkhorton
10-21-2008, 01:33 PM
Tim:
Great photo, thanks for posting.

Saluqi
10-21-2008, 02:06 PM
Paul,
I'm looking foward to trying again soon....We saw hundreds!!!!-Tim

Wow! Did you get reflushes on the ones he chased? It's very rare to catch one on the initial flight, but when they reflush they are as good as in the bag. Are you in cholla country? Packrat dens? If so, get a hold of an old garden hoe and break off the blade so that you have handle with a hook on the bottom, it's very useful for tearing into packrat dens where the quail tend to hide after the initial flush. Also a good pair of leather gloves, some hemostats for pulling needles out of the birds feet and your hands, knees, and face are a good idea too!

Hawkingcolorado
10-21-2008, 02:27 PM
Yes, Cholla as far as you can see. The place we were taken had alot of houses, and there were groups of 10-20 quail in people's yards! It was very windy, and we also flushed rabbits along with the quail, so he was kinda confused, I think. It was my first experience with quail. The place we went later was perfect(of course), when we flew the other guys Gos. Cholla as far as you could see, and hard flat ground in between. It was dusk and the wind stopped. The "suburban" scalies flyout to this area to roost at night. After his bird got one and we were walking back to the truck, we flushed quail every 50 feet, it seemed like. I'll be going back to that place! You could walk all day with your Gos, and chase quail and bunnies(Blacktail Jacks)....His gos cuaght one on the second flush. It was chasing it around the bottom of the Cholla, as it was trying to make it into a hole...Good fun!-Tim

laj
10-21-2008, 03:36 PM
Nice capture, Tim and it sounded like you had a good time. Quail every 50 ft, huh and jack rabbits, too? ARGGGHH!!!

Hawkingcolorado
10-21-2008, 03:42 PM
Yup....Pueblo is good hunting. It's about 2 hrs south of me. He broke a feather thrashing in the box on the way down(I think). Not sure how. I think it was one that was badly bent a while ago. Anyway, I imped it the next day. How's Sky?

Hawkingcolorado
10-21-2008, 03:44 PM
Nice capture, Tim and it sounded like you had a good time. Quail every 50 ft, huh and jack rabbits, too? ARGGGHH!!!

It's funny because when we first went out in that area, it was for Jacks, and we didn't flush a single quail. But as soon as the sun went behind the mountains, they started busting out everywhere.....

Saluqi
10-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Yes, Cholla as far as you can see. The place we were taken had alot of houses, and there were groups of 10-20 quail in people's yards! It was very windy, and we also flushed rabbits along with the quail, so he was kinda confused, I think. It was my first experience with quail. The place we went later was perfect(of course), when we flew the other guys Gos. Cholla as far as you could see, and hard flat ground in between. It was dusk and the wind stopped. The "suburban" scalies flyout to this area to roost at night. After his bird got one and we were walking back to the truck, we flushed quail every 50 feet, it seemed like. I'll be going back to that place! You could walk all day with your Gos, and chase quail and bunnies(Blacktail Jacks)....His gos cuaght one on the second flush. It was chasing it around the bottom of the Cholla, as it was trying to make it into a hole...Good fun!-Tim

A couple of seasons ago we would hunt this area that backed against a rough neighborhood where it seemed every yard had pitbull fenced in. Like you said there were quail all over, they'd go in and eat the seed from feeders and what not. One day my bird caught one in these folks back yard and me and friend were running around trying to locate him, I had my Field Marshall out trying to find the bird with the signal bouncing around it was chaotic! I went running down this alley with my pistol like receiver out and this lady yells from her back door into her house "Hey Carlos come on out and watch the neighbor shoot this guy with a gun" or something to that effect. Apparently they had been watching us run around with the telemetry and thought we were armed, and when we ended up in this guys backyard with me crawling under his boat to get the gos they thought they'd better shoot me or something. We explained ourselves, and had a good laugh, as we were chatting a group of quail went marching by about 100 yds out and the gos gave them a nice live (dead) demonstration of his abilities. Big fun!

Hawkingcolorado
10-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Paul,
That's pretty funny! Good thing you didn't get shot!!!! It's funny I saw plenty running in and out of chain link fences along peoples yards. And yes, around dog pens. It's easier to talk your way out of trouble when your'e standing in somebody's yard with a Hawk, vs just kinda standing there on their property with nothing...:D