PDA

View Full Version : Texas falconers / NAFA meet

Jimmy
11-12-2008, 06:44 PM
Okay you Texas falconers........
I'm looking for a place to hunt on Sunday the 23rd. Any of you willing to share one or more of your honey spots with my family on that day? I really don't want to bother the locals by knocking on doors on a Sunday. And after 2 days of driving, I'll be needing to kill some stuff to let off steam.....

hawkerdivergal
11-12-2008, 08:26 PM
There are going to be A LOT of people arriving on Friday night and Saturday. Finding someone to hunt with on Sunday should be NO problem at all...especially if you are staying at the meet hotel. There will be people everywhere to go out with!

Jimmy
11-12-2008, 08:33 PM
I don't want to hunt with people..... I want it all to myself :D

frootdog
11-12-2008, 09:00 PM
I was going to say I would take you out hunting but nevermind..........

Jimmy
11-12-2008, 09:11 PM
That's okay....... I probably didn't want to hunt with you anyways.......

frootdog
11-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Fine!

GregMik
11-12-2008, 09:58 PM
God you are going again.....:eek:

Greg

Jimmy
11-12-2008, 09:59 PM
Fine!

Fine here too! ......... :D
Now go round us up some bunnies for Sunday!

Jimmy
11-12-2008, 10:03 PM
God you are going again.....:eek:

Greg

Yep.

GregMik
11-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Yep.

There goes the whole meet.....toungeout

LOL

Greg

frootdog
11-12-2008, 10:32 PM
Fine here too! ......... :D
Now go round us up some bunnies for Sunday!

By Monday evening you will be tierd of seeing me.

moredtailboy
11-12-2008, 10:42 PM
jimmy we have all the good jack fields we just got back from there fred and the boy go all the time. If you want ill show you a couple and leave you to them.

Jimmy
11-12-2008, 10:48 PM
There goes the whole meet.....toungeout

LOL

Greg

Yep........

Jimmy
11-12-2008, 10:49 PM
By Monday evening you will be tierd of seeing me.

I might be tired of you by Saturday evening.......

Jimmy
11-12-2008, 10:54 PM
jimmy we have all the good jack fields we just got back from there fred and the boy go all the time. If you want ill show you a couple and leave you to them.

We need to go out together, Joe. And I'll certainly take any directions offered.

redtailman
11-13-2008, 07:29 AM
Yep........
hope you are going to be ok when you buy us bristol lads a round of drinks jimmy toungeouttoungeout

frootdog
11-13-2008, 09:28 AM
hope you are going to be ok when you buy us bristol lads a round of drinks jimmy toungeouttoungeout

one round is NOT the problem it is trying to keep up with y'all where people get themselves in trouble. And then there's Gaz....I think the alchohol (when I drink it) makes it easier to understand what he is saying.

moredtailboy
11-13-2008, 09:34 AM
Its alright yall Ill be the designinated driver for those who are to tipsy. A down fall of not being old and grey like most of you old farts lol.

Jimmy
11-13-2008, 09:38 AM

I've got at least one round in me! When are you guys getting there? I've got a room booked at the meet hotel starting on Sunday, but will have to stay elsewhere for Saturday night.

redtailman
11-14-2008, 07:36 AM
I've got at least one round in me! When are you guys getting there? I've got a room booked at the meet hotel starting on Sunday, but will have to stay elsewhere for Saturday night.
ok jimmy,gaz and guy are there know13november me and sue fly out on the 16 november .we are going to do some sightseeing around texas,newmexico will be at the meet on saturday so wll see you all at the meet ok.

Saluqi
11-14-2008, 11:57 AM
ok jimmy,gaz and guy are there know13november me and sue fly out on the 16 november .we are going to do some sightseeing around texas,newmexico will be at the meet on saturday so wll see you all at the meet ok.

Hi Adrian,

If you're sightseeing around NM and in the Albuquerque/santa Fe area let me know, I live right there. It's only 250 miles from Amarillo to my house.

redtailman
11-14-2008, 01:09 PM
Hi Adrian,

If you're sightseeing around NM and in the Albuquerque/santa Fe area let me know, I live right there. It's only 250 miles from Amarillo to my house.
thanks paul,email me your phone number will give you a call and thanks

redtailman
11-14-2008, 01:13 PM
talked to sue and you and family can stay in our room saturday night if you want to ok :D:D

Saluqi
11-14-2008, 01:28 PM
thanks paul,email me your phone number will give you a call and thanks

PM was sent...

Jimmy
11-14-2008, 02:04 PM
talked to sue and you and family can stay in our room saturday night if you want to ok :D:D

Thanks, Adrian. We have a room right down the road for that night. We'll manage okay. That'll teach me to pay closer attention when booking my room in the future........

redtailman
11-14-2008, 03:25 PM
Thanks, Adrian. We have a room right down the road for that night. We'll manage okay. That'll teach me to pay closer attention when booking my room in the future........
ok see you saterday

kenbro77
11-19-2008, 06:07 PM
The Falconer that was going to be my transportation at the meet since I am driving my RV may not be going now, so I may be bumming rides to fields now. So if any of you are going to hunt squirrels look me up and I may need a ride if you have the room.

kenbro77
11-30-2008, 09:41 PM
Well I am back home, and thankfully with my bird. Abby had a nasty fight with a squirrel Friday.
So A small group and I took Abby to a cemetery. I put Abby up a tree and it did not take her long to set on a squirrel. This will be a squirrel I will always remember. She chased and re-chased this squirrel and it was a battle of wits. Abby finally grabbed the squirrel and it started biting Abby's chaps. This was one of the few times Abby did not get the squirrels head. I kept waiting for them to fall to the ground so I could assist, but they were in a V in the tree. After a bit Abby started pulling fur off the squirrels underside. Then a very scary thing happened, The squirrel let go of the chaps and bit Abby in the head. Than Abby went limp. I was going crazy not able to do a thing, Finally gravity took over and they fell to the ground, Abby was still limp, but still had her talons in the squirrel but the squirrel had its upper teeth in Abby skull right above the cere and it lower teeth in I thought her eye. I could not get the squirrel to let go, so I pulled out my knife and cut the squirrel underside open and it finally went limp. I was able to pull the squirrel off her head now and when I did she looked up at me. I was very happy to see she was alive, but her actions was very lethargic. I could not tell if it was her injury or tired, or shock. We sat there on the ground a little trying to let her relax. After a bit she started to regain herself, but not much. Than she started to try to eat the squirrel but would not step off onto the lure. I was finally able to get her on the fist. We rode back to the hotel with her on my fist. After we could not find the meet vet I saw she was acting okay but still worried. So I put her in the giant hood as we tried to find the vet. We found out he was out hunting in the field and was able to get a hold of his cell and said he would be there in about 30 to 45 minutes. When Dr. Jones out of Tennessee got there we took Abby up to his room. We cast her and he proceeded to treat the wound. He irrigated the wound and it appeared to not have penetrated the skull. He plucked some feathers from around the wound so he could expose skin so as to close the wound with three stitches. We put her in the hood and he gave me anti-biotic for her. I will take her to a local vet in 10 days to check the wound. It is now 2 days later and she is eating well and acting normal in her chamber. She looks funny with the bald spot on her head. I am happy she is ok and I never want to see my bird fall from a tree like that again. One of the falconers with me took pictures of the whole deal and I am waiting on the pics.

Squirrelhawkin
11-30-2008, 09:49 PM
Hope everything turns out ok with her. I saw a redtail get bit in the cere and upper beak last year. It cracked the beak about 1/2 inch. Nick

Chris L.
11-30-2008, 10:09 PM
Man, I'm so sorry to hear that. Squirrels are so brutal. Keep us posted on her progress, I hope she continues to get better.

On a lighter note, it was great to meet you. Let's do it again soon!

robhawkyyz
11-30-2008, 10:09 PM
WOW!!! that'll learn that bird. glad all is ok so far...

everetkhorton
12-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Kenny:
What a story, I am glad she is ok. I always used a Ice Pick to dispatch sqr. Every now and them my bird would have her foot in the sqr. mouth and it came in handy to dislodge her foot.

Bryant Tarr
12-05-2008, 09:35 PM
Nasty! I sure hope she's okay.

kenbro77
12-07-2008, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the comment guys, she seems to be doing ok.
I took Abby out the first time since her bite. She immediately started her squirel hawking routine. She did play wits with one squirrel that lasted about 30 minutes, but the squirrel finally found a hole. Did not see another squirrel and it was almost dark so I called her to the lure. I am glad that she still wants to chase squirrels so I consider it a good hunt. Oh and ev I have a spike I made, it was that I reached back and the knife was the first thing my hand grabbed. I was in panic mode and just wanted the squirrel to let go. I don't like using a knife around my birds. Thank you for the input however.