PDA

View Full Version : Hunting wolves

kimmerar
04-07-2007, 01:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AItT4-wOPwc

Hope it works. Just found it browsing around. No info. Too cold for snake hunting and my bird has swelling on the foot. Seeing vet monday after noon - a good one that knows what she's doing.

`Chris L.
04-07-2007, 05:39 PM
my bird has swelling on the foot. Seeing vet monday after noon - a good one that knows what she's doing.

Kim, I hope your K- bird is Ok.. was it scale damage that casued the swelliing?.. I hope everyting turns out ok.

Video: great stuff on there. Amazing watching those eagles fly. The on board cameras were awesome. I would enjoy riding on horse back and doing that. What an adventure. Its amazing there ability.. thanks for posting that

kimmerar
04-07-2007, 07:41 PM
She hit a fence on March 17th - the day my eye got her. On the 20th I noticed some mild swelling and took her to my local vet that says she works with raptors. She said it was a bruised heel. Swelling went down and started flying again on March 30 plus I could see again.

She tackled a grackle on Wed and something happened before I got there and it got away. She took a starling the next slip. Well - no heat but the ankle is really swollen. The vet I got an appointment to see is the Little Rock Zoo vet. Best in our state. Called Friday morning fit me in Monday at 3.20pm. Did surgury on an RT that had a toe almost bitten off by a squirrel and the toe is fine. I'm hoping she doesn't have bumblefoot - trying not to panick. I went ahead and started her on cipro yesterday. Swelling not worse but not better either. Got her in her giant hood. Wish it was a PVC hood. Can't wait to see the details on that.

I'll let you know about my bird when I know more. If I gave her bumblefoot (bumblefoot to me, the way I was taught, is when there is a corn to remove) it will be hard for me to forgive myself. That's a whole different discussion. I know they get it in the wild (had an RT brought to me with a corn in it and abseced) but.....

Kim

Pheasantplucker
04-13-2007, 11:30 AM
Ive seen that clip a while back,did you see that Wolf attack the mounted huntsman (Berkutchi)?

PP.

outhawkn
04-16-2007, 01:08 PM
Ive seen that clip a while back,did you see that Wolf attack the mounted huntsman (Berkutchi)?

PP.

I didnt see the wolf attack the horseman. i saw the wolf wagging his tail and the horseman try to pick the wolf up. The the horseman dismounts with the wolf. That is a very sad thing to do for tourists. I know those folks have to eat. But raising wolves so you can kill them for show is not falconry.

Pheasantplucker
04-16-2007, 01:29 PM
[quote=Pheasantplucker]Ive seen that clip a while back,did you see that Wolf attack the mounted huntsman (Berkutchi)?

PP.

I didnt see the wolf attack the horseman. i saw the wolf wagging his tail and the horseman try to pick the wolf up. The the horseman dismounts with the wolf. That is a very sad thing to do for tourists. I know those folks have to eat. But raising wolves so you can kill them for show is not falconry.[/quote

Where did you see the horsemen dismount?,and the wolf's tail from what i can see isnt wagging its straight and down.
And no im not into releasing any quarry whether for tourists or bagged quarry for falconry and thankfully isnt legal in the UK.

PP.

Falcon Boy
04-16-2007, 03:33 PM
That wolf hit the horse awful hard to want to be picked up...

outhawkn
04-16-2007, 04:37 PM
First, to my knowledge there has never been a documented case of a wolf attacking a human. Second, I've been around horses most of my life( I hate the darn things,wouldnt care if a wolf did eat'em all). There isnt a horse alive that would let a wolf run at it. Wolves are predators horses are prey. So for the horse to let the wolf run towards it, the horse is not expecting to be eaten. Odd that a film crew is filming this very unique sight. It should read" FIRST EVER DOCUMENTED ATTACK ON HUMAN". The eagle hits the wolf and kills it right away.?? Odd. View the film in full screen. just as the wolf approaches the horse, its tail starts wagging. The man reaches down to grab the wolf's mane.( The wolf doesnt jump at the man),he then pulls the wolf up, his grip slips and he drops the wolf. The horse and rider go over the crest of the hill and just before they disappear the rider dismounts on the right hand side. Again this is easier to see in Full Screen. My wife used to raise wolves. Full bloods. I am confident that the rider did not dismount his horse and attack the wolf with his bare hands...And through it all the film crew stood fast. ODD.

Jimmy
04-16-2007, 05:19 PM
You can't please everyone........ [smilie=eusa_doh.gif]

Pheasantplucker
04-17-2007, 10:20 AM
Like above you cant please everyone! [smilie=BangHead.gif] ,but that wolf did go for the hinde quatres of that horse and the wolfs tail is held down from what i can see with my eyes? [smilie=eusa_think.gif] ,so it went for the horse and not the rider!,and yes ive been involved with horses most of my life to.Im not saying wolf hawking is my thing (to close to a dog for me!) but thats how they have hunted for centuries and i show respect for what they do.
As for the eagle killing a wolf,well Remmler's Goldens would dispatch fully grown wolves by taking them by the base of the skull and the hinde talons would pearce the spinal cord meaning the end for Mr Wolf,but the eagles were only slipped at wolves running away and not head on confrontations;

PP.

outhawkn
04-17-2007, 01:44 PM
Like above you cant please everyone! [smilie=BangHead.gif] ,but that wolf did go for the hinde quatres of that horse and the wolfs tail is held down from what i can see with my eyes? [smilie=eusa_think.gif] ,so it went for the horse and not the rider!,and yes ive been involved with horses most of my life to.Im not saying wolf hawking is my thing (to close to a dog for me!) but thats how they have hunted for centuries and i show respect for what they do.
As for the eagle killing a wolf,well Remmler's Goldens would dispatch fully grown wolves by taking them by the base of the skull and the hinde talons would pearce the spinal cord meaning the end for Mr Wolf,but the eagles were only slipped at wolves running away and not head on confrontations;

PP.

I agree that they used to hunt wolves with golden eagles. Dont doubt that a bit.
Why did the rider dismount on the right side and what did he do with a full grown wolf in attack mode? Any thoughts?

Falcon Boy
04-17-2007, 03:07 PM
Personally i'd go for the shotgun to the face, i hear its rather effective [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

everetkhorton
04-17-2007, 06:06 PM
Bill: It looked like to me that they fell maybe even the horse. It looked like to me he was facing the wrong way to get off a horse. IMO. I no longer believe anything that I do not see live. To much hanky panky going on these days.

outhawkn
04-17-2007, 06:57 PM
Bill: It looked like to me that they fell maybe even the horse. It looked like to me he was facing the wrong way to get off a horse. IMO. I no longer believe anything that I do not see live. To much hanky panky going on these days.

ev.
I agree completely. That is really where I was going with this. I dont know if it happened or not, but it sure seems fishy to me. I did send an email to the videographer asking if I could purchase the complete un-edited version. Will see! Are you ready for fall yet?