PDA

View Full Version : NAFA 2009 location

Chris L.
12-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Wondering if you anyone knows the city the 2009 NAFA is going to be held. I am trying to get my ducks in a row early.

looking forward to see everyone again

Heatherg
12-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Woodward, OK

Saluqi
12-09-2008, 01:49 PM
I heard Woodward, OK, about 250 miles NE of Amarillo.....

Heatherg
12-09-2008, 01:50 PM
NO RABBITS!! or so Im told.

Saluqi
12-09-2008, 01:53 PM
NO RABBITS!! or so Im told.

Serious? We could organize our own Thanksgiving meet at some other location....

Heatherg
12-09-2008, 01:56 PM
VERY SERIOUS. I may have to do some work down in that area this winter so I plan on doing A LOT OF SCOUTING!! I guess there are quail and ducks, but everyone that has been there says there are no rabbits (CT's or Jacks alike)

Takasho
12-09-2008, 02:47 PM

There's also talk of a 5 day out of state hunting license being $125. This site says $70 (https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/onlinesales/LicenseDescription.asp, 2009 NR Hunt 5-Day) which is still a little steep.
No bunnies and an expensive hunting license?? Hmmmm...next years NAFA meet could be in trouble.

kenbro77
12-09-2008, 04:27 PM
I am also concerned with the size of the town. With a population of only 12,000. How many guest can they accommodate?

GregMik
12-09-2008, 05:58 PM
And it is going to be the week before Thanksgiving next yr.

Greg

Isobael
12-09-2008, 06:03 PM
I thought it was a standard practice of NAFA to alternate between the east and the west, to give both sides a fair chance to attend...

Why in the world would they pick a place that was east...again...and that had no rabbits?

They should have picked someplace that was closer to the west for us western folk, AND had a wide variety of prey base for flying birds on.

But then...what do I know?

Heh.

Heatherg
12-09-2008, 06:11 PM
When is it going to be?? I havent heard that?

Heatherg
12-09-2008, 06:14 PM
What happened to getting a preview of where the meet for the next year was going to be, at the meet???? And why would they change the dates??

beldinrt
12-09-2008, 06:21 PM
East or west is a matter of perspective. Being from New York State I do not consider Texas or OK anywhere near the east.

Isobael
12-09-2008, 06:38 PM
East or west is a matter of perspective. Being from New York State I do not consider Texas or OK anywhere near the east.

Hehehe.

Being from WA, you ARE east. toungeout

GregMik
12-09-2008, 06:49 PM
When is it going to be?? I havent heard that?

It was decided last yr at the business meeting.

Jeff will know for sure, so lets wait for him to comment on this thread.

I do know that Dave Stevens lives close to there and has lots of jacks......

Greg

Chris L.
12-09-2008, 06:53 PM
No rabbits and that fee of 125 bucks is a waste for sure. I really wanted to go to it. Heather please check it out and let us know for sure if you dont mind. I mean I enjoy seeing everyone but if I cant hunt whats the point!!!

Paul, We may just have to do that!!! If its true about no rabbits we may have to

Heatherg
12-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Still doesn't answer my ? When is it going to be? I've talked to several people that have "tried" hunting there and there is nothing.....????

Chris L.
12-09-2008, 06:54 PM
I do know that Dave Stevens lives close to there and has lots of jacks......

Greg

Greg, can you be sure of that.. it really would help in my decision of waht to do ...

great thread guys, keep the info coming

Heatherg
12-09-2008, 07:03 PM
Oh Yeah another thing to think about is there bag limit is 2 rabbits (jacks and ct's) and possesion limit is 4 total. Combine that with the 125.00 non-res liscense and those are some expensive bunnies......
I caught more than that the first day I was in Amarillo.:D
Not looking good for me!!!!

GregMik
12-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Greg, can you be sure of that.. it really would help in my decision of waht to do ...

great thread guys, keep the info coming

Yes I have heard form many that he has lots of game. Krys?

Greg

GregMik
12-09-2008, 07:06 PM
Still doesn't answer my ? When is it going to be?

Heather,

I told you that at the biz meeting last yr they decided to try having the meet the week before Thanksgiving to see if we could get more of the membership to come. The big complaint was about being home for Thanksgiving.

Things may have changed in a Yr tho.

Greg

Chris L.
12-09-2008, 07:08 PM
Oh Yeah another thing to think about is there bag limit is 2 rabbits (jacks and ct's) and possesion limit is 4 total. Combine that with the 125.00 non-res liscense and those are some expensive bunnies......

Me either confusedd

GregMik
12-09-2008, 07:10 PM

I think NAFA is working on a special meet license. Now the game limits....I don't know if I will go for that either.....

Greg

Heatherg
12-09-2008, 07:12 PM
Heather,

I told you that at the biz meeting last yr they decided to try having the meet the week before Thanksgiving to see if we could get more of the membership to come. The big complaint was about being home for Thanksgiving.

Things may have changed in a Yr tho.

Greg

In your response, you did not say the week before thanksgiving. haven't heard anything about it. I don't go to the business meetings I am hunting!

GregMik
12-09-2008, 07:13 PM
In your response, you did not say the week before thanksgiving. haven't heard anything about it. I don't go to the business meetings I am hunting!

When you are going to run for Central Director.......

Greg

P.S. Look at post #9

goshawks00
12-09-2008, 07:15 PM
What's wrong with the one they got?
Barry

Heatherg
12-09-2008, 07:19 PM
When you are going to run for Central Director.......

Greg

P.S. Look at post #9

MY BAD!! I missed that post just saw the one from Isobel. SORRY.
I will never run for any kind of office as I am a falconer that LIVES to hunt! I WILL NEVER GIVE UP MY TIME TO SIT IN A MEETING :D:D

GregMik
12-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Barry

He beat me last time so I am going for a rematch.....Hopefully this time it will be fair...

Greg

frootdog
12-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Barry

Seriously? Do you really want to open that can of worms?

goshawks00
12-09-2008, 07:23 PM
Sure it's free.

frootdog
12-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Yes I have heard form many that he has lots of game. Krys?

Greg

I have hunted out there (at Dave's) several times. YES he has plenty of jacks, but he is also about 60 - 90 minutes east of Woodward. Can anyone in OK enlighten us regarding the bag limit? Does it apply to falconers too?

frootdog
12-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Just got off the phone with the meet director and the '09 NAFA meet will be during the Thanksgiving week and the bag limit "during rabbit season" is something like 8 rabbits same as gun hunters. The other limit is for falconers hunting out of normal rabbit season.

frootdog
12-09-2008, 07:31 PM
They are and have been exploring the option of moving the meet to the week before or after Thanksgiving, but no change is iminent.

Heatherg
12-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Daily Limit

Cottontail: 10 daily, 20 in possession after the first day.
Swamp: Three (3) daily, six (6) in possession after the first day.
Jackrabbit: Three (3) daily, six (6) in possession after the first day, except Cimarron, Texas and Beaver counties are 10 daily, 20 in possession after the first day.

From their website......what county is woodward??? Unless the meet is in one of those counties....it's not worth it for me to go.... I can catch what I need to in TX and not have to worry about limiting my birds.

GregMik
12-09-2008, 07:43 PM
They are and have been exploring the option of moving the meet to the week before or after Thanksgiving, but no change is iminent.

Krys,

It was voted on at the '07 Biz meeting. I guess the vote didn't matter.....Nothing new with NAFA.

Greg

Heatherg
12-09-2008, 07:44 PM

Sorry I was off by 1 each way, but I was told that by a reputable source....hadn't checked on it myself. Sorry.

Dirthawking
12-09-2008, 07:52 PM
Okay, here is what came out of OK. It is $70 for a 5 day hunting lic. $25 for a falconry lic (required for all), and $5 for a "legacy lic" (kinda like Colorado's Habitat stamp.

for a grand total of $100.00

Iamtheweasel
12-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Damn Heather, quit being such a ney sayer!:-)....The NAFA meet would not have been placed there if there was no game. I plan on heading up that way sometime this season or early next to see what it's like as it's only 5 hours from here. Don't make folks cancel their plans to go to the meet over what you "heard" :-).....that part of OK is quite like Amarillo terrain wise with a few tree's mixed in...

GyrXPeals
12-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Jeez, chill out!;) I've heard the bunny numbers are low in the immediate area around Woodward at the moment however there's a butt load of CT's and Jacks in the three Panhandle Counties, Beaver, Texas and Cimmaron, along with pheasant, bob-white, and scalies. Oh and let's not forget the ducks. There are good numbers of Lesser Chickens in areas of southern Kansas just across the border as well as jacks and ct's. The Texas Panhandle is also just a hop skip and a jump away. Woodward has a more permanent water supply in the form of stock ponds, stock tanks if you're from Texas:D, for ducks instead of the Playa lakes found in panhandle areas. Also Ft. Supply Lake is near Woodward, it's a major stop over for waterfowl in that part of the state. They disperse very nicely each morning to feed.
Seems to me quite a few of you guys drove several hours to Garden City from Kearney just to fly Jacks.
The meet has been hosted in Woodward before and actually it's the only city near the panhandle that has the hotel space, so not to worry there.
Let's think about it this way do you really think Dave Stevens would have uprooted his family and business and moved half way across the country to fly his birds in a place without quarry. I think you'll find he moved to the panhandle because of the quarry.
All of the concerns you've expressed were expressed by us also. We began to address them as soon as we found out we were back in the rotation. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
I might have said more than I should at this point anything else will have to be addressed by the meet committee, but I will ask one thing of you, let the rumor mill grind to a halt, a little support would be nice.
Best Regards,
Jeff

everetkhorton
12-09-2008, 09:58 PM
I am also concerned with the size of the town. With a population of only 12,000. How many guest can they accommodate?
Kenny:
I came through Woodward on the way home, there in the process of building two new Hotel. I would say they are about a third done. I did not ask about rabbits but they said there were a fare number of quail this year, but that can change in a second.

everetkhorton
12-09-2008, 10:05 PM
What happened to getting a preview of where the meet for the next year was going to be, at the meet???? And why would they change the dates??
Heather:
This has been an ongoing issue for many years. Some people think if the date was changed it would give some of the people that can not make it over thanksgiving a chance to make it to a meet. There are pro and con over the issue. Some would like it move further north. I would have to say, Woodward is sure not East. This issue was talked about at the closed business meeting. The meeting is not closed to members just to open discussion by the audience.

everetkhorton
12-09-2008, 10:07 PM

amennn

wesleyc6
12-09-2008, 10:26 PM
Jeez, chill out!;) I've heard the bunny numbers are low in the immediate area around Woodward at the moment however there's a butt load of CT's and Jacks in the three Panhandle Counties, Beaver, Texas and Cimmaron, along with pheasant, bob-white, and scalies. Oh and let's not forget the ducks. There are good numbers of Lesser Chickens in areas of southern Kansas just across the border as well as jacks and ct's. The Texas Panhandle is also just a hop skip and a jump away. Woodward has a more permanent water supply in the form of stock ponds, stock tanks if you're from Texas:D, for ducks instead of the Playa lakes found in panhandle areas. Also Ft. Supply Lake is near Woodward, it's a major stop over for waterfowl in that part of the state. They disperse very nicely each morning to feed.
Seems to me quite a few of you guys drove several hours to Garden City from Kearney just to fly Jacks.
The meet has been hosted in Woodward before and actually it's the only city near the panhandle that has the hotel space, so not to worry there.
Let's think about it this way do you really think Dave Stevens would have uprooted his family and business and moved half way across the country to fly his birds in a place without quarry. I think you'll find he moved to the panhandle because of the quarry.
All of the concerns you've expressed were expressed by us also. We began to address them as soon as we found out we were back in the rotation. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
I might have said more than I should at this point anything else will have to be addressed by the meet committee, but I will ask one thing of you, let the rumor mill grind to a halt, a little support would be nice.
Best Regards,
Jeff

Well said Jeff. Hard to believe everyone was already talking about jumping ship. I enjoyed my NAFA meet this year as a visitor. I think I am about to re-up again. It has been a few years since I was a member.

everetkhorton
12-09-2008, 10:26 PM
I have hunted out there (at Dave's) several times. YES he has plenty of jacks, but he is also about 60 - 90 minutes east of Woodward. Can anyone in OK enlighten us regarding the bag limit? Does it apply to falconers too?

I have a 2008-2009 hunting guide in front of me, pg.22 Rabbits(conttontail,Swamp and Jackrabbits. Dates & Open Areas. Oct 1 2008-March 15th. 2009:Statewide except no open season on Jackrabbits East of 1-35. Conttontail:10 daily, 20 in possession after the first day. Swamp: Three daily, 6 in possession. Jackrabbits 3 daily 6 in possession. (Some county have 10 day limit.
Now remember this is for this year, NOT next year.

everetkhorton
12-09-2008, 10:30 PM
Krys,

It was voted on at the '07 Biz meeting. I guess the vote didn't matter.....Nothing new with NAFA.

Greg

Greg:
I was at the 07 business meeting and I do not remember any vote on the issue. I does not matter one way or the other to me.

everetkhorton
12-09-2008, 10:41 PM
As you can see, I started with post #1 and worked my way upward. I should have read all the post first. I have to agree with Wes. The fun is getting together with friends to hunt and talk over old times and last year hunts. I only got a small look at Woodward, but I like the smaller towns.
JMO.

Chris L.
12-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Well said Jeff. Hard to believe everyone was already talking about jumping ship. I enjoyed my NAFA meet this year as a visitor. I think I am about to re-up again. It has been a few years since I was a member.

Wes, it was a 2 hour drive for you and about 40 bucks in gas...;) . If you had to do a cross country treck , as most of us did, you too would be a little gun shy. If I wanted to catch up on hawking stories I just log into NAFEX. I came to NAFA to hunt, did i mention hunt :) . I can sit around BS'n any day, i do enough of that on here

I am not going through the logistics of getting me and my birds out to NAFA when there is a absurd game limit, low game numbers, and a heafty licensing fee. I would just rather a bunch of us Meet in Amarillo again :D... but it sounds like it may be getting better. I am keeping an eye on this thread to hear some good game numbers from those who have hawked this area.

That's why these discussions are great. It airs out all the dirty rumors...

I too had a blast at NAFA and I would like a repeat for sure.

Jeff thank you for your post.. more info the better !!!

wesleyc6
12-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Wes, it was a 2 hour drive for you and about 40 bucks in gas...;) . If you had to do a cross country treck , as most of us did, you too would be a little gun shy

Actually, I drove to Amarillo twice(4-5 hours round trip), took 3 days off work(still "working" that off) to guide in Lubbock(1.5 hours round trip each time). That was about 13 hours of driving. Sure am glad gas went down:D

Still, you are right, I didn't have to do as much work as others. I probably will only go to the ones that are pretty near me anyway. I mainly went to see people and some good longwinging. I met some nice people and was able to get a chance to put some people on game. It was worth it for me. I sure hope I get to go to OK too.

GregMik
12-09-2008, 10:56 PM
Best Regards,
Jeff

Thank you for chiming in Jeff!! You are the expert and the local!

Greg

GregMik
12-09-2008, 10:57 PM
Greg:
I was at the 07 business meeting and I do not remember any vote on the issue. I does not matter one way or the other to me.

It was voted on....

Greg

GregMik
12-09-2008, 10:59 PM

Reup and vote for me!!!:D

Greg

GyrXPeals
12-09-2008, 11:01 PM
Thank you for chiming in Jeff!! You are the expert and the local!

Greg

NP Greg.
ATB,
Jeff

Chris L.
12-09-2008, 11:02 PM
Actually, I drove to Amarillo twice(4-5 hours round trip), took 3 days off work(still "working" that off) to guide in Lubbock(1.5 hours round trip each time). That was about 13 hours of driving. Sure am glad gas went down:D

All i can say to that is, those my friend are great problems to have :D...that makes NAFA that much more fun.. one day I will be out that way

GregMik
12-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Wes, it was a 2 hour drive for you and about 40 bucks in gas...;) . If you had to do a cross country treck , as most of us did, you too would be a little gun shy. If I wanted to catch up on hawking stories I just log into NAFEX. I came to NAFA to hunt, did i mention hunt :) . I can sit around BS'n any day, i do enough of that on here

I am not going through the logistics of getting me and my birds out to NAFA when there is a absurd game limit, low game numbers, and a heafty licensing fee. I would just rather a bunch of us Meet in Amarillo again :D... but it sounds like it may be getting better. I am keeping an eye on this thread to hear some good game numbers from those who have hawked this area.

That's why these discussions are great. It airs out all the dirty rumors...

Jeff thank you for your post.. more info the better !!!

Chris,

If I want to catch game I would never leave here. I hear ppl talk about their hunting spots and game populations. I have not heard of or seen anything that compares to MN so far. The only thing we don't have is Quail and blacktailed Jacks. The CT population is way better than Amarillo was, not to mention ducks. So If I really wanted to catch stuff I would stay home.

I go to the NAFA meet to "socialise" with my fellow falconers. If I catch something in the process so be it. Don't get me wrong tho, I would at least like the chance to catch something.

Come on up to here and I will prove it to you....Oh wait, you are flying a Harris....Never mind they don't do well up here.;) Too cold.

Greg

P.S. Heather is going to kick my .......:eek:

Chris L.
12-09-2008, 11:21 PM
Chris,

If I want to catch game I would never leave here. I hear ppl talk about their hunting spots and game populations. I have not heard of or seen anything that compares to MN so far. The only thing we don't have is Quail and blacktailed Jacks. The CT population is way better than Amarillo was, not to mention ducks. So If I really wanted to catch stuff I would stay home.

I go to the NAFA meet to "socialise" with my fellow falconers. If I catch something in the process so be it. Don't get me wrong tho, I would at least like the chance to catch something.

Come on up to here and I will prove it to you....Oh wait, you are flying a Harris....Never mind they don't do well up here.;) Too cold.

Greg

Greg,
My time is valuable my friend and time is money!!! I just dont need ( have time to) to drive across the USA for nothing more than sitting around and sipping beer with friends and talking falconry. I do enjoy a great story as the next guy, but not when I have coem so far to see the might JACK RABBIT (dog) Plus I dont have the luxury of having rabbits. You guys are just spoiled.

Hell if its too cold for a harris I know its too cold for me.. lets just meet in amarillo again.. beer and stories are on me!!!:D

Chappy99
12-09-2008, 11:25 PM
I really don't think we should be worrying about the Hotels, OR the hunting ground. Instead, how are the BARS in Woodward?!?!?!?!

:D
Chappy

GregMik
12-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Greg,
My time is valuable my friend and time is money!!! I just dont need ( have time to) to drive across the USA for nothing more than sitting around and sipping beer with friends and talking falconry. I do enjoy a great story as the next guy, but not when I have coem so far to see the might JACK RABBIT (dog) Plus I dont have the luxury of having rabbits. You guys are just spoiled.

Hell if its too cold for a harris I know its too cold for me.. lets just meet in amarillo again.. beer and stories are on me!!!:D

I have one word for you.....

Cat lover ( you know this is a family forum http://www.nafex.net/images/smilies/eek.gifhttp://www.nafex.net/images/smilies/biggrin.gif)

PMSL

Greg

P.S. I never said we didn't have jackrabbits....Just not blacktails...Now Whitetails? I can show you herds.....

Chris L.
12-09-2008, 11:28 PM
LOL..:eek:

GregMik
12-09-2008, 11:33 PM
LOL..:eek:

I added a P.S.

Greg

frootdog
12-10-2008, 12:24 AM
Damn Heather, quit being such a ney sayer!:-)....The NAFA meet would not have been placed there if there was no game. I plan on heading up that way sometime this season or early next to see what it's like as it's only 5 hours from here. Don't make folks cancel their plans to go to the meet over what you "heard" :-).....that part of OK is quite like Amarillo terrain wise with a few tree's mixed in...

She's not the only person to have said it Noel. I've heard the same from several people. It seems it is time for the dirthawkers to take a hit. Normally the lower #'s of game affects the longwingers, but it appears to be a role reversal this year. The rabbit #s seem to get better as you go west into the panhandle.

I for one think the possesion limits are absurd. How do you OK falconers get by that? It applies to what you keep in your freezer at the house too. How does that affect the game freezers at NAFA? There will be many more than 20 rabbits in there at any given time.

I'm gonna call the meet coordinator again to see if I can get more clarification and get back to y'all hopefully some time tomorrow night. I will be out deer hunting but I will see if I can get internet acess while out there.

GregMik
12-10-2008, 12:31 AM
Cat lover ( you know this is a family forum http://www.nafex.net/images/smilies/eek.gifhttp://www.nafex.net/images/smilies/biggrin.gif)

You know this is not what I was saying....Cat lover does not cut it and I was not swearing.

But hey it is your forum...;)

Greg

Chris L.
12-10-2008, 07:49 AM
I for one think the possesion limits are absurd. How do you OK falconers get by that? It applies to what you keep in your freezer at the house too. How does that affect the game freezers at NAFA? There will be many more than 20 rabbits in there at any given time.

I'm gonna call the meet coordinator again to see if I can get more clarification and get back to y'all hopefully some time tomorrow night. I will be out deer hunting but I will see if I can get internet acess while out there.

Krys,
Please let us know. I appreciate you finding this info out. Good luck with ol mossy horns!!

You know this is not what I was saying....Cat lover does not cut it and I was not swearing.

But hey it is your forum...;)

Greg

Greg,'
sorry man, it has nothing to do with what you and I can say to each other, i just know that there are young kids on here and the P word usually doesn't go over very well for most. There are plenty of other cleaver descriptors about my ability to handle the cold...I know you meant nothing by it... But hey, PM me and call me what ever you like. I enjoy those PM's :D...

frootdog
12-10-2008, 08:30 AM
Krys,
Please let us know. I appreciate you finding this info out. Good luck with ol mossy horns!!

Not a problem and thanks. As far as the deer go one guy went out there this past dsaturday and shot his limit on one day! 2 does in the morning and a buck that night. If I come home with a 3rd of that I will be a happy camper!

Squirrelhawkin
12-10-2008, 08:48 AM
AWWWW,So sorry you guys wont be able to get 567,987 slips an hour there!!!! BOO HOO HOO!!!! (Sorry this post was from an east coaster that is trying his hardest to move outta' here) LOL!!! The daily limit listed for CTs is more than we see in a week. I gotta move and yes I'm jealous!toungeout
Nick

Chris L.
12-10-2008, 09:14 AM
Not a problem and thanks. As far as the deer go one guy went out there this past dsaturday and shot his limit on one day! 2 does in the morning and a buck that night. If I come home with a 3rd of that I will be a happy camper!

Krys, I love to deer hunt. I have not been able to get out this year that much.. I need to go more. I am like you, one is fine for me. I let most go. I enjoy just being out there. Deer are like cotton tail in texas here. They are everywhere. Take some pics if you get one!!

(Sorry this post was from an east coaster that is trying his hardest to move outta' here) LOL!!! The daily limit listed for CTs is more than we see in a week. I gotta move and yes I'm jealous!toungeout
Nick

Nick, I am with you. I am ready to move out of here. NAFA ruined me, i took more cotton tails my first day than I will get in a season out here. Hell I am lucky if I even see that many!! I can not wait to move. New Mexico is on the list for sure

GyrXPeals
12-10-2008, 09:17 AM
She's not the only person to have said it Noel. I've heard the same from several people. It seems it is time for the dirthawkers to take a hit. Normally the lower #'s of game affects the longwingers, but it appears to be a role reversal this year. The rabbit #s seem to get better as you go west into the panhandle.

Krys I agree with your point on possession limits to a degree but I can also see the states point. There has been a big problem with poaching and the selling of game here in the past. The limits were set to help solve that problem and to encourage people to actually eat what they take from the wild. The idea is to go hunt, eat what you take and go hunt again and get more. The trouble is flaconry was not taken into consideration nor the fact that we use the game we catch to feed our birds throughout the year.
But let me ask you something just how many rabbits do you expect to catch durring a five day meet. Your possession limit for the meet would be 20 CT's, 6 Swampers, and 20 Jacks. 46 bunnies ain't too shabby. As for the game lockers, the possession limits are for the individual not for the organization so no problem there.
On the bright side our rabbit season is open to falconers year round, the squirrell season should also be open year round this upcoming season. That would be nice if I hunted rabbit and squirrell.:D
ATB,
Jeff

kenbro77
12-10-2008, 10:05 AM
Jeff, you mentioned squirrels. I was wondering what the squirrel population is like in Woodward?

GyrXPeals
12-10-2008, 10:30 AM
Jeff, you mentioned squirrels. I was wondering what the squirrel population is like in Woodward?

Not likely to be many Kenny, the terrain is pretty much like you'll find a little east of Amarillo, shinnery oak country. A few miles west of Woodward it opens into the high plains. You might find a few in town around the parks and cemeteries. If you want squirrell come to eastern Oklahoma they're like freakin flies around here.
ATB,
Jeff

kenbro77
12-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Not likely to be many Kenny, the terrain is pretty much like you'll find a little east of Amarillo, shinnery oak country. A few miles west of Woodward it opens into the high plains. You might find a few in town around the parks and cemeteries. If you want squirrell come to eastern Oklahoma they're like freakin flies around here.
ATB,
Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I was only interested in the NAFA meet. I would love to hunt in Oklahoma, its only 10 minutes from me, just can not afford the hunting license.

Roper
12-10-2008, 11:03 AM
Why not be apart of the solution instead of the problem, dont tell me what you cant do. tell me what you can do to get this to happen..
I cant for a second think that Nafa is going to have a meet that there isnt game,, maybe you will have to actually hunt a little bit. I think we short wingers get spoiled and dont have to drive like the long wingers..
Hell When i was your age and I was flying a long wing, I had to drive to my fields for an 2.5 hours , uphill both ways.
had to keep a frozen quail in my pocket and that was my lunch tooo...
Ok I know this is a lively discussion on woodward..
and maybe in the best form ..
first off I wish to point something out... East is East and West is West.
it is all relative.. Woodward is East of Amarillo ... HELLLLOOOO!!!!

If the bag limits are light did it ever accure to you guys that perhaps you dont need to dispatch every head of game you get. Now I don't really want to argure that sometimes this isnt possible.. but there are times that it is.. so if the prey is not severely damaged, perhaps you could extend a little help towards the rabbits..
I mean can you imagine the story the rabbit would be able to tell his wife:
No really Dear I wasn't at the "Grass Stubble Bar" really I wast at work and this dog and this hawk came right up on me .. I sat there froze to the ground and then I just couldnt stand it .. I had to run, so I did. I'm hallin ass across this field with the dog chasin me and then this hawk, ya a hawk came out of no where and grabbed me by the back end
we went to tumblin around, Honest Hon I tried everything I could , rollin on my back, flippin around,, but the hawk grabbed me, by my head,,, i thought I was a gonner. But then this human ,, ya a real human came up and grabbed me. I thought man this is gonna be a terrible fight, the dog, the hawk, the human, they all want me... Im gonna get torn to shreads.
The next thing I know the dog is running around in circle around us.
and this human is trying to get the hawk to take some ripped up peice of meet,, Say that ripped up peice of meet , kinda looked like Peter C from the old nieghborhood.
ANYways the next thing I know the hawk is stepping off of me and the human has me on,, on the side of him and another human comes in and grabs me.. and and " They let me go!!!no really the did"

What!!?.... look at the holes i got in my skin, no really, just look , wouldya just look at it. Well if yer not goin to listen maybe I just just go down to the bar where my REAL Friends are .

GyrXPeals
12-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Thanks Jeff, I was only interested in the NAFA meet. I would love to hunt in Oklahoma, its only 10 minutes from me, just can not afford the hunting license.

Things are changing in that regard Kenny, when they do, come on up.
ATB,
Jeff

Roper
12-10-2008, 11:22 AM
see post 70

Kenn Filkins
12-10-2008, 11:23 AM
David,

Very nice telling of a rabbit's point-of-view. Reminds me of life.... For us as well as bunnies.

outhawkn
12-10-2008, 11:31 AM
I have family there. Unless something happened to all the game in the last 6 months ( Jeff, out killing stuff perhaps.toungeout ) there is LOTS of game. Rabbits and jacks as well as more feathered stuff than you will ever kill. As long as i dont go that is..............:D

frootdog
12-10-2008, 11:36 AM
But let me ask you something just how many rabbits do you expect to catch durring a five day meet. Your possession limit for the meet would be 20 CT's, 6 Swampers, and 20 Jacks. 46 bunnies ain't too shabby. ATB,
Jeff

Not all people go for only 5 days. Some of us make 7 - 10 days or more of it. If I get out and get serious then yes I can take more than my possesion limit esp if I'm flying more than one HH. Other's I know took far more than those #'s at the NAFA meet that just passed. When you put up a cast of birds and fly for 2-3 hours you come home with quite a bit of food.

frootdog
12-10-2008, 11:44 AM
If the bag limits are light did it ever accure to you guys that perhaps you dont need to dispatch every head of game you get. Now I don't really want to argure that sometimes this isnt possible.. but there are times that it is.. so if the prey is not severely damaged, perhaps you could extend a little help towards the rabbits..

It's cruel for one. Rabbits are a fragile species and most likely after the shock of being caught die anyway after release and then get wasted. I know plenty of falconers that claim to practice catch and release but in my opinion it's cruel. You are esentially releasing a severely wounded animal to go off and die a miserable death. If it were a deer you shot by law you are required to track that animal and put it out of it's misery why should rabbits be any different. I have more food than I can possibly ever use in just one of my freezers right now, but I also give away plenty of food to breeders, rehabbers, and other falconers so none of my food gets wasted.

GyrXPeals
12-10-2008, 12:14 PM
Not all people go for only 5 days. Some of us make 7 - 10 days or more of it. If I get out and get serious then yes I can take more than my possesion limit esp if I'm flying more than one HH. Other's I know took far more than those #'s at the NAFA meet that just passed. When you put up a cast of birds and fly for 2-3 hours you come home with quite a bit of food.

I realize that Krys, there are a lot of people who don't or won't catch that many. All you have to do is put you're name, address, and hunting license # on a piece of paper and give them the bunnies, or you could give some of them to the feed the hungry programs for wildlife. You could then take 260 bunnies on a 10 day hunt if you're so inclined. Multiply that by 150-200 broad and shortwingers, that's a couple of bunnies.
ATB,
Jeff

Roper
12-10-2008, 12:24 PM
We are so proud of you Krys.. no really I hope some day I can be just like you...however since you don't want to take the lighter side of things,,
see post 70 again i said "upon inspecting the rabbit and determing it to be in good health ",
and Krys do you know first hand that these rabbits have gone off some where and died,, do you have an eye witness to that account .. have you spoken to any of the rabbits family or friends. have you filed a missing rabbit report to the authorities. ???/ Well did ya???

I think you guys are speaking out of school..
Again " do you think Nafa is going to have a meet where there is no game"
why would they want to suffer the rath of a bunch of winning hawkers, that seem to find enough to wine about already..

THINK POSITIVE:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is it just a head count or the whole experience .. to each is own .

do we have first hand knowlage of the area.. you know it is kind of like the DNR up here claiming the Goshawks are threatend.. Did it ever accure to anyone that perhaps the "seekers of the truth" are lame.. perhaps they are looking in the wrong area such as downtown Minneapolis, for the gos hawks..

Heatherg
12-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Chris,

Greg

P.S. Heather is going to kick my .......:eek:

Sorry Greg Gotta disagree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my HH's are doing just fine. My head count before going to the NAFA meet was over 50. Mostly CT's and a couple WTJ's. As far as CT numbers here, there is no way that there are as many CT's as in Amarillo. Like you said, you went to Amarillo to "socialize". I went to hunt, and I found just as many CT's as jacks, but I hunted from 8am to dark eveyday I was there.

frootdog
12-10-2008, 12:42 PM
We are so proud of you Krys.. no really I hope some day I can be just like you...however since you don't want to take the lighter side of things,,
see post 70 again i said "upon inspecting the rabbit and determing it to be in good health ",
and Krys do you know first hand that these rabbits have gone off some where and died,, do you have an eye witness to that account .. have you spoken to any of the rabbits family or friends. have you filed a missing rabbit report to the authorities. ???/ Well did ya???

I.

How do you know they are in good health? How do you know that needle sharp talon did not puncture the intestine or some other vital organ, femoral artery, etc? Rabbit seems fine release it and it slowly bleeds out or dies of sepsis. Do YOU know that they DON'T die later from the incurred trauma. Do this save a baggie or 2 of your "unharmed" catches and see what condition they are in 2-3 days later if they even survive the night. And yes I do see your humour just dont' agree on the principle issue at hand.

GregMik
12-10-2008, 12:45 PM
Sorry Greg Gotta disagree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my HH's are doing just fine. My head count before going to the NAFA meet was over 50. Mostly CT's and a couple WTJ's. As far as CT numbers here, there is no way that there are as many CT's as in Amarillo. Like you said, you went to Amarillo to "socialize". I went to hunt, and I found just as many CT's as jacks, but I hunted from 8am to dark eveyday I was there.

We will have to agree to disagree then. The spots I have have more CT's than any of the fields I saw or heard about in Amarillo. Granted they are not in the open like down there. As far as Jacks go Moorhead is not that far away. There are other Jack spots in the cities here also that not everybody knows about.

As far as your head count goes, I am not far behind that, and I have been workin my butt off. If you stayed up here, how much would you be catching now?

Greg

outhawkn
12-10-2008, 12:49 PM
Catch and Release, or Torture and Release...........you decide.confusedd

Ct's are extremely fragile, I doubt they would survive. And to be honest ,I'm out there to catch and kill somethin, but thats just me................:D

PS, I should of mentioned I NEVER do multiples..........

outhawkn
12-10-2008, 12:56 PM
. you know it is kind of like the DNR up here claiming the Goshawks are threatend..

You can "thank" Maya Hamady for that thinking. They let me help with thier stick nest counts only reluctantly. I had to promise not to give the nest locations away to falconers. I agreed, so I got almost 30 nest locations. Then the next year it just weighed heavily on her mind and I was not invited back, because I was a falconer. Sad really.............
PS all bets are off for any promises I made............

Heatherg
12-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Why not be apart of the solution instead of the problem, dont tell me what you cant do. tell me what you can do to get this to happen..
I cant for a second think that Nafa is going to have a meet that there isnt game,, maybe you will have to actually hunt a little bit. I think we short wingers get spoiled and dont have to drive like the long wingers..
Hell When i was your age and I was flying a long wing, I had to drive to my fields for an 2.5 hours , uphill both ways.
had to keep a frozen quail in my pocket and that was my lunch tooo...
Ok I know this is a lively discussion on woodward..
and maybe in the best form ..
first off I wish to point something out... East is East and West is West.
it is all relative.. Woodward is East of Amarillo ... HELLLLOOOO!!!!

I mean can you imagine the story the rabbit would be able to tell his wife:
No really Dear I wasn't at the "Grass Stubble Bar" really I wast at work and this dog and this hawk came right up on me .. I sat there froze to the ground and then I just couldnt stand it .. I had to run, so I did. I'm hallin ass across this field with the dog chasin me and then this hawk, ya a hawk came out of no where and grabbed me by the back end
we went to tumblin around, Honest Hon I tried everything I could , rollin on my back, flippin around,, but the hawk grabbed me, by my head,,, i thought I was a gonner. But then this human ,, ya a real human came up and grabbed me. I thought man this is gonna be a terrible fight, the dog, the hawk, the human, they all want me... Im gonna get torn to shreads.
The next thing I know the dog is running around in circle around us.
and this human is trying to get the hawk to take some ripped up peice of meet,, Say that ripped up peice of meet , kinda looked like Peter C from the old nieghborhood.
ANYways the next thing I know the hawk is stepping off of me and the human has me on,, on the side of him and another human comes in and grabs me.. and and " They let me go!!!no really the did"

What!!?.... look at the holes i got in my skin, no really, just look , wouldya just look at it. Well if yer not goin to listen maybe I just just go down to the bar where my REAL Friends are .

I guess this can go to Jeff and David,
with regards to the bag limits....My total head count for the meet was over 45 head of game. That's with 3 HH's. BEFORE ya'll jump my case about that being excessive....all my game caught went to feed breeding birds in 3 different projects. I don't see that as being excessive. As for letting rabbits/Jacks go......I don't believe in that. I dont believe it is fair for the game animal. Its not like trout fishing with barbless hooks!!! In one field in amarillo, we caught 4 jacks, that had obviously been caught by hawks. They had HUGE puss pockets, and gapping wounds on several parts of their bodies. I don't think that any animal should suffer like this, just so that "we can all feel good about letting them go". Not to say that these rabbits were let go, but it shows the trauma that is inflicted by the birds we fly.

Heatherg
12-10-2008, 01:08 PM
We will have to agree to disagree then. The spots I have have more CT's than any of the fields I saw or heard about in Amarillo. Granted they are not in the open like down there. As far as Jacks go Moorhead is not that far away. There are other Jack spots in the cities here also that not everybody knows about.

As far as your head count goes, I am not far behind that, and I have been workin my butt off. If you stayed up here, how much would you be catching now?

Greg

I will catch as much as my birds can handle. I have the ability to go where I need to, to hunt. I can hunt my birds earlier than most and later than most because of what they will hunt. Let's not take this to which bird is better or who is out hawking more. I hunt hard, so do you. Let's leave it at that.

GregMik
12-10-2008, 01:11 PM
I will catch as much as my birds can handle. I have the ability to go where I need to, to hunt. I can hunt my birds earlier than most and later than most because of what they will hunt. Let's not take this to which bird is better or who is out hawking more. I hunt hard, so do you. Let's leave it at that.

That is fine Heather, but my comment about harris's not doing well up here had to do with Chris coming up now to check out the game populations. They will not do well up here right now, it is too cold. That is why you leave to go other places.

Greg

Chris L.
12-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Ok this thread has gotten way off topic. Thanks guys for the info. See you all at NAFA..

good to hear the game is there.