PDA

View Full Version : Helloo from Ohio!!!

Joby
04-11-2007, 03:21 PM
Hi,
My name is Joe and I am a soon to be General class falconer located in Central, OH. I am currently flying my second female RT (Ms. GRIM) over a pair of small long hair mini-doxies, Bayli (an 8 lbs. 1 year old B/T bitch from Susan Fuller) and Cobie (an 8 lbs. 5 year old B/T male from Bill Boler). I put this team together after a frustrating year last year (my first) in which we only caught 2 rabbits total. This year (thanks mostly to the dogs) we caught 43 head of game (33 rabbits/10 squirrels). We had our best weekend in mid-February when we caught 11 bunnies over three days during a trip to N. Indiana to hunt with some falconer friends. I'm intermewing Ms. GRIM and I'll be getting a HH for next season. I'm also going to be breeding the dogs and field trialing them (starting out Bayli and finishing off Cobie's FC). I really enjoy the site and look forward to participanting on the forum.
-Joe

Jimmy
04-11-2007, 03:38 PM
Hey, Joe.
Susan breeds some awesome dogs, for sure. I have Susan's male harris in my breeding project, and will be sending her a bird back this year. She's moving to Virginia next month. Are you still getting a Coulson bird this year? Or did you decde to go with someone else? I wonder what ever happened to that old lady from the newspaper that we ran into during your visit........

RTJim
04-11-2007, 04:16 PM
Hi Joe and Welcome.....

I also know Susan & Teddy and my ol"sponser has three of Teddy's wirehair line. I am surprised to hear that Susan is moving to Virginia. What happened? I went out with her Harris many times in NJ & Pa....Where is your Harris coming from???? [smilie=dontknow.gif]

Hi,
My name is Joe and I am a soon to be General class falconer located in Central, OH. I am currently flying my second female RT (Ms. GRIM) over a pair of small long hair mini-doxies, Bayli (an 8 lbs. 1 year old B/T bitch from Susan Fuller) and Cobie (an 8 lbs. 5 year old B/T male from Bill Boler). I put this team together after a frustrating year last year (my first) in which we only caught 2 rabbits total. This year (thanks mostly to the dogs) we caught 43 head of game (33 rabbits/10 squirrels). We had our best weekend in mid-February when we caught 11 bunnies over three days during a trip to N. Indiana to hunt with some falconer friends. I'm intermewing Ms. GRIM and I'll be getting a HH for next season. I'm also going to be breeding the dogs and field trialing them (starting out Bayli and finishing off Cobie's FC). I really enjoy the site and look forward to participanting on the forum.
-Joe

Jimmy
04-11-2007, 04:34 PM
I am surprised to hear that Susan is moving to Virginia. What happened? I went out with her Harris many times in NJ & Pa....

She was actually supposed to move from Oregon to Virginia last October or so, but some things happened, and she had to delay the move. She also injured her hands last year and wasn't able to hunt this season. I had planned to send her a bird last November, but she said she wasn't gonna be able to do it justice because of her hands. So she'll have a fresh one to train this coming season. I'm interested in hearing how her bird (Creole) did in the field with you. He fathered 3 chicks last year for me, and all of them went on to make good gamehawks. The male from that clutch went to a falconer in Missourri, and he says that it's the fastest harris he's ever flown.

Joby
04-12-2007, 09:51 AM
Hey Jimmy,
Good to talk with you man!! I don't know about that old lady. She's probably still going back to that park hoping to run into you again. It would probably have been her "BIG STORY" of the year. LOL

Still don't know about the HH yet. I've got several options. I've already paid off the Coulsons bird, but they can't guarantee me a female this year (I'm first on the Tercel list, but Teddy suggested I flip over to a female). I've also got another potential deal to trade a puppy (when my dogs breed, hopefully this month) for a female HH from another breeder. If we don't get any puppies from this breeding, I'll end up going with the Coulsons bird. If we do get puppies, I'll ask them to hold my money till next year. I would go with a cast this year, but it's kind of hard to give up a proven RT like GRIM. She's easy to handle, works great with the dogs, and kills quick!! So, I've got a buddy who's getting an '06 Female HH from the Coulsons (Jennifer flew it last year) and an '07 female from Floyd Presley. Whatever I end up getting, we're going to end up flying them all together this year over the dogs. Should be fun!! Then I'll end up flying GRIM mostly on squirrels, on which she is death incarnate!!
-Joe

Jimmy
04-12-2007, 09:55 AM
I've got chicks due to hatch next week if you want another option...... [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

RTJim
04-12-2007, 10:44 AM
How did Susan injure herself? Is she selling the kennel etc.? What are her plans in virginia?

Her little HH was quick and when we went out with her he was starting. He was on the high side but responsive...........jm

Jimmy
04-12-2007, 11:02 AM
How did Susan injure herself? Is she selling the kennel etc.? What are her plans in virginia?

I don't recall the exact details, but she was doing some remodeling on her house and injured both hands, requiring her to wear braces on them, and almost had to have surgery on them. As far as I know she's taking everything to Virginia with her.

Joby
04-12-2007, 02:35 PM
Thanks Jimmy, I'd take you up on that, but I've got all my remaining '07 falconry funds tied up in that Coulson bird (thus the puppy/HH trade option). That was a good lesson, don't necessarily pay off everything up front when a deposit would take care of it. If I hadn't of done that, I could have used that money elsewhere. I'm just waiting now to see when my little female doxie comes into heat.
-Joe

`Chris L.
04-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Joe,

I first wouldlike to welcome you to NAFEX. We have a great group on here and I hope you enjoy the forums. If you need an avatar made email me your favorite falconry picture and i can make you one. let me know...

It sounds like you have a great team. Sounds like the dogs helped out with your head count.. That is great.

I look foward to reading your posts.

let me know if you need anything

wesleyc6
04-14-2007, 06:02 AM
Hey Joe,
Glad to have you here. Glad the dachs are getting it done for you. I hope I never have to hawk another season w/o dogs. They add a lot to the sport for me.

gabboon
06-04-2007, 10:27 PM
Joe,

I've got a wire dachs out of Teddy's old line bred by Wendy Looker in PA. Plans are to breed him next summer. He's a great dog.

The Harris' I had to give up last year came from Floyd Presley who is my sponsor. She was huge and I hear is doing very well. I'm hoping to get a new one from him.

What part of Ohio are you in? My in-laws are near Cincy and sometimes I have to visit. Usually during hunting season. I may need someone to show me some fields so I can escape for a while.

Steve

goshawks00
06-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Hi Joe, great to see you here. Have you seen or heard from Boler lately? I've lost track of him since his divorce.
Barry

Joby
06-13-2007, 10:08 AM
Hi Barry,
I hope your breeding season is going well and that the family is doing well also. Yeah, I talk with Bill pretty frequently, in fact I was just grilling him yesterday regarding what I need to do when the puppies arrive (should be coming around July 7th if anyone is interested in a long haired mini-doxie). I'm hoping to keep one of the pups for myself, if she has enough puppies to satisfy the people on the waiting list.
-Joe

Joby
06-13-2007, 10:19 AM
Steve,
Hey, I think you and I talked about getting together a couple of years ago. I'm just up the road from Cinci in Columbus. In fact, if memory serves your relatives only live about 45 minutes or so from me. Let's definitely get together and do some bunny hawking (as long as your wires don't mind slumming it with a couple of long hairs, LOL). I've got some nice bunny laden fields if you don't mind swinging up to Columbus. When do you usually get up to Ohio?

Also, I didn't know that Floyd was your sponsor. He is actually a good friend of one of my best hunting buddies, Mick. Floyd is his Grand-Sponsor, as Mick's sponsor was a guy named Dave who Floyd sponsored years and years ago. In fact, I think Mick was just down there a couple of weeks ago for some event that Floyd asked him to attend with him. Mick will be flying a cast this year made up of a Coulson bird that Jennifer flew last season and a bird out of Floyd's project this year. I'll be adding a Coulson tercel to the mix. We'll be flying them over a mixed pack of my mini-doxies and Mick's Jack Russels.

-Joe

gabboon
06-13-2007, 01:16 PM
I think I know of the Dave you mention. Did he have a nice kennel of mini-wires once? I don't recall if I've met him or not. Can't remember the last name.

I avoid going to Ohio as much as possible. The in-laws live there, near Maineville. Nice people, but a huge social family and I come from a tiny family that isn't very close. I get exhausted from the culture shock and all the visiting. But if I can get some hunting in I'll be there. usually I can't go because someone has to stay and take care of the critters at home.

There are several farms in the family so I may have some rabbit fields, too. Will be sure to look you up if I head out the way during the season. Rabbits have been a bit scarce in our area lately, but I usually see plenty in Ohio.

I think all of us know Floyd or someone who does. I was really blessed to have him as a sponsor and a friend. He and the club, Potomac Falconers Association, are certainly a great place to learn about falconry.

Floyd also produces some great birds. I'm glad I'm getting a new one this year. I had a huge female last year that I had to give up. She went to Floyd's son who takes her hang-gliding.

Joby
06-14-2007, 11:44 AM
That's the Dave, he still has a couple of wirehairs, although he's never had much luck breeding his female. My buddy Mick will be getting a clutch mate of your bird-to-be. You shouldn't avoid Ohio anymore, I'm just a little over an hour away from where you'll be and we could definitely get together and maybe put the birds up in a cast over a nice big pack of the doxies. You're right about Ohio having a lot of bunnies, although I find them much more populated within the city limits (e.g. around industrial parks, etc.). Definitely give me a call when you know what you're schedule is and we can hook up for some hawking.
-Joe