PDA

View Full Version : For those who imprinted accips this year...

Falcon Boy
01-10-2009, 06:16 AM
(dog)
How did things go? Do you think your bird came out as planned or did ya end up like this?
http://americanfalconry.com/ouch.jpg

I'm interested in:

-what you will repeat next time
-what you will NEVER do again
-anything else you think is important.

I don't mean for this to be a repeat of the 10 important things thread and i'm not looking for a recipe, just a few random thoughts on each subject
thanks

Chris L.
01-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Noah see here for some commentary on chambered accips.. give you something else to ponder

http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?t=3859

(David and I had asked some questions bu i moved the posts as to not hijack your thread)

Falcon Boy
01-10-2009, 03:39 PM
No real interest in a CR's pricetag, i made a post on that thread. Feel free to lock this if you want i was bored and looking for an interesting topic to discuss but it ain't really important.

voslerdo
01-10-2009, 03:49 PM
My tamehacking went very, very well. He doesn't bate or scream and he is wonderful to be around. The only thing I'd do different is to make to the hood from the start. I like being able to hood for many small reasons and a couple of big reasons. One is when I have to cast the bird...he resents it so right now.

kimmerar
01-10-2009, 06:54 PM
I'm glad you were bored Noah - I think this would be a great thread. It will help me when I get my chance to try to imprint an accipiter.

Come on guys/gals - I know others had ideas with there first after they were finished and in the field you might say - well, I wish I would have worked on that more or something. Even with my first passage coops - I have things I would do different with my next bird. For one thing - I will hood from the beginning (and that was not in my plans at all - didn't want to ruin the bird and make her aggressive) - what a difference a hood made for this passage coops. That opinion could change with my next:D, but for now......

Shortwingn
01-10-2009, 07:14 PM
If the trhead stays open I will comment. There are so many things it would be a big comment.

Chris L.
01-10-2009, 07:35 PM
It will stay open.. i think it could be a great thread.. if not we can take care of it

kimmerar
01-10-2009, 07:36 PM
If the trhead stays open I will comment. There are so many things it would be a big comment.

clapp Great - please post. If that's what Noah wanted to read then I'm sure he didn't really mean for Chris to close it.

FredFogg
01-15-2009, 07:25 AM
I imprinted a female coops 3 seasons ago. The first thing I would do before imprinting any accipiter is to fly a passage one first. I didn't fly a passage coops first and I think by flying one first, you learn more about the bird and know more of what to expect and what you would like to turn out.

As far as things I would do different, I would make sure the bird would either be with me at all times or someone else (24 hours a day). I worked night shift and slept during the day, so she wasn't exposed to people 24x7. I think the best imprints are raised in a house full of kids and dogs.

I would make more of an effort to expose the imprint to everything. I missed a few things (lawn mowers, tractors, fish aquariums, etc). She would just take off when I flew her near a running lawn mower.

I would find the hunting weight quicker. Again, something I think one would be better at doing if they flew a passage first. She had great lure response, chased, but never caught and I flew her at that weight (400 g) for a month thinking she just needed more time and experience. Wrong! She developed aggression out of frustration and this was due to flying her to heavy. Totally my fault! Her hunting weight ended up being 375 g for that year and a little heavier the next 2 years.

If you are going to car hawk, fly to the fist, if not, only fly to the lure. I only flew to the lure the first year and it made car hawking very difficult. I had to get out of the car each time to recall. The second year, I flew her to the fist and she would return on a missed flight and fly right back in the window.

That is all I can think of right now, if I think of more, I will post them later. I am sure some will disagree, but this is just what I believe based on me imprinting one coops.

kimmerar
01-15-2009, 08:29 AM
Great info Fred - thanks

Ken S.
01-15-2009, 02:43 PM
Find a good mentor (someone with good experience imprinting and flying the bird you intend to raise) and make this person your best friend.

Raptorick
01-15-2009, 02:56 PM
I have imprinted several coopers and was very very happy with my last one. I would like to try dual imprinting or and some tame hacking.
Thinking about a sharpie this spring! would dual imprint one if somebody else wanted one. Just depends on my situation as where I am living and how many hawks I have.
accipters don't make good 2nd birds, unless you have more time then most as they have to kill lots and lots.

Good thread for me.

goshawks00
01-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Noah... here's a couple:

I WILL...
tame hack again..
feed only on lure..
interface with people... no not in her face ..but expose more.. to people , no not me the hawk
spend more time car hawking a gos... done lots of carhawking with other accips but never w/a gos ..interested in crow hawking
expose to mews earlier
feed in GH early on ...and leave in after eating for a while

I WILL NOT...
forget to make sure new batts. in trans while @ hack...
put off entering because of to hot/to many mosquitos/etc
hood a tiercil gos

mileage may vary...
Barry

Raptorick
01-15-2009, 03:08 PM
I did not car hawk mine untill later and took her awhile to get use to other traffic. I field hawk from the start.

so I would drive my next one around more when growing up. I did some, but not enough.

Saluqi
01-15-2009, 03:08 PM
(dog)
How did things go? Do you think your bird came out as planned or did ya end up like this?

I'm interested in:

-what you will repeat next time
-what you will NEVER do again
-anything else you think is important.

I don't mean for this to be a repeat of the 10 important things thread and i'm not looking for a recipe, just a few random thoughts on each subject
thanks

0) Be prepared - be realistic. Imprinting is a fulltime job that begins the moment you receive the eyas and continues for at least 8-9 months. Don't plan on imprinting if you have to go to the inlaw's across the country for a month in the summer.

1) Do your homework. Realize that there is more than one way to imprint a bird. Talk to folks who have it done it, talk a lot to the ones who have done it successfully many times. Figure out a framework for imprinting that fits in with your life, i.e., your family, your job, the part of the country where you live, the quarry you have available to you in the middle of the summer.

2) Be flexible. Realize that every bird is different and that what you thought was going to work may be wrong for that particular bird. Try to anticipate, try to make adjustments, try to read the birds behaviors before a crisis hits.

3) Your bird is NOT exceptional. Accept that your bird has the potential to turn into a maniacal freak of nature even though that when mid-September rolls around Fluffy the gos still likes to lay down and sleep in your lap. Don't be fooled fool.

4) And all the things Barry said!

goshawks00
01-15-2009, 03:21 PM
And ALL the thing Paul said...amennn

chamokane
01-15-2009, 03:28 PM
Be sure to tidbit him with your bare hand so you can use it as a lure in an emergency.:D

Saluqi
01-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Be sure to tidbit him with your bare hand so you can use it as a lure in an emergency.:D

I know you're joking Dave, but I do in fact feed my gosses tidbits with my bare right hand.

Mitchellbrad
01-15-2009, 03:39 PM
I WILL NOT...
forget to make sure new batts. in trans while @ hack...
put off entering because of to hot/to many mosquitos/etc
hood a tiercil gos

mileage may vary...
Barry

Barry,

I had an imprint falcon at hack around here once. She started out being a bundle of fun. Once the kids were using the slip and slide, something adults shouldn't attempt. I know because my center of gravity is much different than little kid's. They spent an inordinate amount of time getting her out of the thing. One morning I released her to frolic around the place. She went into one Hell of a soar then I looked into my breast pocket. What should I see? The transmitter! After the flock of pigeons were exercised by a panicked falconer who's bird had a small crop and the lure swung hard enough to rub the leather off it the bird set her wings in a long glide to land on the house wondering what all the commotion was about. So please remember to put on the transmitter<G>

wesleyc6
01-15-2009, 03:58 PM
I would:
Feed on the lure again almost exclusively (one glove call a per week or two after hunting starts)
Progress at the rate I thought was appropriate from what I was seeing.
Expose to cattle/livestock when VERY young
Keep the dogs around again.
Hawk early mornings again when skeeters aren't quite as bad:eek:
Keep the hawk right smack dab in the middle of my family/work
Skip hooding again.

I wouldn't:
Feed my bird up for any length of time that first season until I was finished for the year.

I wouldn't use the tperch at first again

goshawks00
01-15-2009, 04:11 PM
Brad,
Yea hacking isn't for the weak hearted... Twice had battery failures with one bird...

First time I noticed a failure about two hours after I let him out... called, whistled, and in desperation jumped in the truck and went looking for him... Half mile away I pulled into the elderly neighbors and got out of the truck and tried the lure again. Well Mrs. Santure was down in the garden out back of the shed so I went to see if she had seen him.. He liked to go down there and nose around in their pines a lot so thought he might be around... after asking her if she had seen him, she nonchalantly yea, she saw him, he's over there under the rhubarb sleeping!! And sure enough he was!

Next time a week later,I got a call from the other neighbor 1/2 mile the other direction saying Ricky was out in the pasture walking around with the old milkers that were out sunning. Checked the telemetry no signal.... went down and got him before the old bull did.

This is the same hawk that made it snow in July..
Barry

chamokane
01-15-2009, 04:35 PM
I know you're joking Dave, but I do in fact feed my gosses tidbits with my bare right hand.

Yes, I tidbit most birds with my bare right hand also. I guess what I should have said was, "feed a baby Coop with your bare hand." I did that and he was a very nice little bird, but if the day wore on and he didn't catch anything, he would eventually come in and bind to my right hand. It's no big thing with a male Coop, but, with anything bigger I may have considered it to be an inconvenience.

The other mistake I made with him (well, the one I remember right now) was underestimating how much he was conditioned to the Ho! Ho! Ho! when game was flushed. When I decided to start hunting pigeons with him, I got him on the glove, tossed a pigeon, and yelled Ho! Ho! Ho! Quick as a flash, he bound to my face. It was not aggression, he was just reacting to the sound. Then he saw the pigeon and tried to chase it without letting go of my face. Again, no big thing with a 10 oz male.

Raptorick
01-15-2009, 04:40 PM
Yes, I tidbit most birds with my bare right hand also. I guess what I should have said was, "feed a baby Coop with your bare hand." I did that and he was a very nice little bird, but if the day wore on and he didn't catch anything, he would eventually come in and bind to my right hand. It's no big thing with a male Coop, but, with anything bigger I may have considered it to be an inconvenience.

The other mistake I made with him (well, the one I remember right now) was underestimating how much he was conditioned to the Ho! Ho! Ho! when game was flushed. When I decided to start hunting pigeons with him, I got him on the glove, tossed a pigeon, and yelled Ho! Ho! Ho! Quick as a flash, he bound to my face. It was not aggression, he was just reacting to the sound. Then he saw the pigeon and tried to chase it without letting go of my face. Again, no big thing with a 10 oz male.

So then your were joking about your hand, you really used your face!:D

goshawks00
01-15-2009, 04:42 PM
""Then he saw the pigeon and tried to chase it without letting go of my face. Again, no big thing with a 10 oz male""

Really!! You da man!!crazyy

chamokane
01-15-2009, 04:46 PM
So then your were joking about your hand, you really used your face!:D

I like to keep my options open.:D