PDA

View Full Version : DB comes off injured reserve

Hawkingcolorado
01-11-2009, 06:20 PM
:Dhttp://farm4.static.flickr.com/3369/3188585823_3307f63261.jpg?v=0

I put DB out in the weathering today after 3 weeks on the mend for his broken sternum. I flew him on the creance a few times, and he seems pretty zippy. He's pretty fat on starlings, but should be ready to hunt again by end of week.:D

h-bob
01-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Great to hear !!

everetkhorton
01-11-2009, 10:19 PM
Tom A.
That is good to hear.clapp Good luck in the field!

MikeT307
01-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Soon all the game will cower in fear when you leave the house with two goshawks in tow. I hope DB doesn't skip a beat from being down and out for a few weeks.

FredFogg
01-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Tim, just catching up on here! Good to hear DB is about to get back into business. Love the pictures of the gos you just picked up, got to love those eyes. Sky snagged two bunnies over the weekend, so I had a good weekend. Getting ready to go out and see if we can get a crow. Looking forward to seeing DB on a kill again!

Hawkingcolorado
01-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Tim, just catching up on here! Good to hear DB is about to get back into business. Love the pictures of the gos you just picked up, got to love those eyes. Sky snagged two bunnies over the weekend, so I had a good weekend. Getting ready to go out and see if we can get a crow. Looking forward to seeing DB on a kill again!
Fred,
WTG on the bunnies! I love hawking rabbits...I see Crows around here, but as far as going to a specific place to get them??? Do you just drive around looking for some, or are there places you know where they always hang out?-Tim

FredFogg
01-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Fred,
WTG on the bunnies! I love hawking rabbits...I see Crows around here, but as far as going to a specific place to get them??? Do you just drive around looking for some, or are there places you know where they always hang out?-Tim

Tim, I generally have a route that I drive and just look for them. On the weekends, you can find them on school grounds around the picnic tables and in parking lots and also in industrial parks. Both are great places to fly on the weekends, no one there. During the week, I usually hit the church parking lots and near fast food places, but not the fast food places where there are cars going eveywhere, the ones that have been put in a vacant lot, usually near a Lowe's, Home Depot, Wal-Mart or such. I ended up not car hawking and decided since we were on a rabbit roll and I have a state meet this coming up this weekend, I would keep him focused on rabbits. I worked some areas around my house but didn't move anything for him and he got bored and caught a squirrel, but when I ran in to grab the squirrel so it wouldn't bite him, he let go of it. There is that fine line of letting them take care of it and trying to get in there quick and them not get bit. He has caught 4 squirrels so far and no damage, so I guess he knows what he is doing, but it still scares the crap out of me and I don't like it. Once he starts chasing a squirrel, he totally ignores the lure and won't come down. What's one to do? frus

kimmerar
01-13-2009, 11:24 AM
:Dhttp://farm4.static.flickr.com/3369/3188585823_3307f63261.jpg?v=0

I put DB out in the weathering today after 3 weeks on the mend for his broken sternum. I flew him on the creance a few times, and he seems pretty zippy. He's pretty fat on starlings, but should be ready to hunt again by end of week.:D

Tim - glad to hear it. How does the sternum feel. Is there a lot of calcium buildup around the break - does it mess up "feeling the keel"??

Hawkingcolorado
01-13-2009, 12:11 PM
Tim - glad to hear it. How does the sternum feel. Is there a lot of calcium buildup around the break - does it mess up "feeling the keel"??

If you felt it, you'd rush him to the vet!! It's high up, so I can still feel the keel. There's still a large "bump" just below where the clavicle makes a Y. I'm not sure if it's calcium, or a big hematoma that will take time to go down.-Tim