PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the U.P.

jballone
04-17-2007, 06:06 PM
Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to say, "Hi!". I'm interested in someday becoming a falconer and am currently reading all the info I can on the boards. There's a ton [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

I also recently received an info packet from MichiganHawkingClub.com and learned that there's a total of two (MHC) falconers in the U.P. which makes me believe my journey in becoming a falconer will be a long one. My hope is that I'll be able to go on a hunt with one of these falconers to learn more about this sport [smilie=eusa_pray.gif]

Have A Good Day!
Joe

everetkhorton
04-17-2007, 06:27 PM
Ha Joe, these guy in most cases will not know what the U.P. is [smilie=BangHead.gif] except the guys from MN. I am from Mi. Are you still snowed in? This is a friendly group. Your travels may take you to MN. or Wis. Tell us a little bit about yourself. Do you watch the Hawk migration on Brockway Mt. Whitefish Point should be going real soon.

`Chris L.
04-17-2007, 06:46 PM
Joe, Welcome to the forums. I hope you find the site helpfull. Great group on here. Dont hesitate to ask questions? If you need any help let us know.

you have to jump through a ton of hoops to become a falconer...but once you have done it its worth the trouble. Hang in there, you will be trapping your first Red-tail before you know it.

read, and go out with falconers, and read some more.. just enjoy yourself and have a great time...

Again, Welcome to the forums

jballone
04-17-2007, 07:28 PM
Ev,
Funny you should mention Whitefish Pte. I was just at their website, checking out the raptor count that's going on as we speak. Look here: http://hawkcount.org/month_summary.php?rsite=286&go=Go+to+site
and here: http://www.wpbo.org/index.html
Very interesting info. My wife and I visited the shipwreck museum located there last summer. Two thumbs up!!

Snow is just starting to leave and for those who don't know, U.P. stands for Upper Peninsula, ie. Upper Michigan.

By the way Chris, this site is Great!

Joe

kimmerar
04-17-2007, 09:41 PM
Welcome Joe

Just finished my first year flying a kestrel. I love it. Nothing more rewarding then hunting with a bird!!!

Lots of info here. I like lots of different ideas for the same thing. Everyone is friendly and helpful. Chris is great with detailed diagrams. Can't wait to see one for the PVC hoods.

`Chris L.
04-17-2007, 10:12 PM
Kim and Joe,
Thank you for the kind words. I really appreciate it. This site is a work in progress and it really is shaping up to what I dreamed it would.

I cant take all the credit as its the members that help make it a great place as well. All I ask is, people keep an open mind and remember that their way is not the only way. The rest will fall in place and people will feel comfortable in sharing their ideas.

Joe, Kim is a great resource as she just got done with her first year and has done great with her kestrel.. Heck she has done better than most master falconers ever have with a kestrel. She might be able to shed some light on what its like your first year and having a kestrel... it can help you decide what you may want to fly as your first bird.

I look forward to reading about your progress and please dont hesitate to ask questions.

thank you again for the compliments

everetkhorton
04-17-2007, 10:52 PM
Joe:
I hope to head for Whitefish Point with in the next couple of week. I hope all the snow is gone and the gas is less than $210 a gal. Well one of the to would not be bad [smilie=BangHead.gif] Watching site in the Lower P. to see when the white throat sparrows move north past here.

kimmerar
04-18-2007, 10:47 AM
Thanks Chris for that compliment. I think so many people don't take kbirds seriously. Joe - PM me anytime and I'll answer any questions you have.

Joby
04-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Ev,
So does that make you a "Troll" or are you on the east side of MI, or too far away from the bridge?
-Joe

Lee Slikkers
04-18-2007, 02:37 PM
Joe,

Yes, Ev is a Troll...right Ev??? [smilie=smileys13.gif]

Lee

everetkhorton
04-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Joe: You have me on this one [smilie=eusa_doh.gif] I live on the shore of Lake Mi. just about where your first knukle on you lillte finger is on your left hand. I do not know if this makes me a troll or not ha. [smilie=dontknow.gif]

RTJim
04-19-2007, 12:45 AM
Do yourself a favor...hit all the falconer picnics this summer and hook up with several falconers ....help them out (offer services to clean mews etc.) If you give and seem truly interested, find some additionsal hunting spots for this fall and show you are dependable you will be surprized on what people will share. We as a group that meets every saturday during hunting insist that the interested party is truly committed to the sport.
The birds depend on us..........
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r253/Nafex/IMG_2893.jpg [smilie=icon_thumright.gif] [smilie=eusa_clap.gif]

Lee Slikkers
04-19-2007, 07:02 AM
Joe: You have me on this one [smilie=eusa_doh.gif] I live on the shore of Lake Mi. just about where your first knukle on you lillte finger is on your left hand. I do not know if this makes me a troll or not ha. [smilie=dontknow.gif]

Ev, anything "south" of the Bridge gets the Troll designation so yes, you & I are both Trolls.

Lee

everetkhorton
04-19-2007, 08:03 AM
Lee: this must be because everyone North of the bridge we call u-pers,ha