PDA

View Full Version : APB: GyrSaker Lost

Jenifre
02-04-2009, 11:33 PM
Can't believe it, right? Yeah, me neither.
But it happened. i have been reconditioning this little tiercel and he has really come along. He actually started to catch on to the waiting on thing. He did his normal routine; fly WAY off, come back into the wind, was about to wait on and then a quick tilt and he was way down wind again, stooped into the tree line and out came 2 birds. They were so far off I couldn't tell if they actually made contact. They both went back into the tree line and one bird came up moved further back and possibly landed. I stayed put and my husband drove that way with the telemetry. Naturally the weather started turning bad...QUICK. Not to much later we were in the dark, freezing rain and wind. No real signal. A faint blip coming up from this narrow ravine.
Went back to the last blip place only to have no signal. All day driving with receiver going. No signal. Swinging the lure at various places around and including the original place. Nothing. Today...the same. A friend came up with his receiver (a little better than mine) and we did a huge radius and covered a lot of ground. Still nothing. Advice is welcome as well as any encouraging words. I have grown quite fond of this little guy. It has been a real joy putting him back together and watching him come alive again. I am just sick over this whole thing.........:(

Appalachian hawker
02-05-2009, 12:00 AM
Hello Jenifre, I'm sorry to hear about your bird. I have neither experience with falcons or lost birds but good luck, hope you get'm back.

sharptail
02-05-2009, 12:10 AM
Hire a small airplane, tape your antenna to a wing support, get a long co axe cable and fly grids.

wesleyc6
02-05-2009, 12:39 AM
Usually if a beep just stops I have found it is one of 2 things. The bird is on the ground and you sometimes have to be SUPER close to get a signal or the xmitter died. Make sure you start out where you lost him.

I have heard to some using fish line and putting a sealed pigeon up too.

Good luck and sorry to hear it!

everetkhorton
02-05-2009, 01:03 AM
Jenifr
Sorry to hear of your lost bird. First, don't give up. He may not be as far off as you think. Always start at the place you lost him. I would use a live lure if he is use to it. I would look up wind, he may have been blown down wind but bird like to fly into the wind, JMO. Good luck!

gengis
02-05-2009, 01:27 AM
hi jenifre really sorry to here you have lost him.dont give up keep looking for now.regards bill

Chris L.
02-05-2009, 07:07 AM
So sorry to hear this. Hang in there he still may be around

tell me the freq your Tx is on, I will post it on the Sc falconry web site and we can do some scans down here to see if anything pops up

so sorry again

Chris

Shortwingn
02-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Hi Jenifre,
You might go into that ravine and check it good. If nothing start driving at night in all directions. A omnidirectional anttena helps alot. If you dont have one see if you can barrow one. Be sure to check your gain and settings. I have looked for hours only to find I accidently hit the channel or gain off a bit. Getting up in the air and flying circles from where you lost the bird will help alot. At about 1500-3000' I get a signal 3-6 times better. Most of all dont give up. Best of luck to you!

Jenifre
02-05-2009, 10:56 AM
His transmitter is 216042.

Hey Eric/Shortwingr - How far did he go off last time? I heard 60miles and then I heard 125miles....how'd you get him back last time?

Thanks for all your advice. Day 3 and still no signal. I walked the ravines yesterday for 3 hrs. I may do it again today.

bgibson
02-05-2009, 11:47 AM
His transmitter is 216042.

Hey Eric/Shortwingr - How far did he go off last time? I heard 60miles and then I heard 125miles....how'd you get him back last time?

Thanks for all your advice. Day 3 and still no signal. I walked the ravines yesterday for 3 hrs. I may do it again today.

hey girl, make sure your receiver batteries are good too. my guy got missing for an hour during one of my first free flights the evening the hurricane was coming. i was panicking to say the least just knowing my falcon would be blown up the east coast over night. i KNEW i shouldn't have flown him before the storm, i was low on gas and should've got some BEFORE going to the field, and didn't listen to my gut feeling. i drove to the nearest store hoping not to run out of gas and listening for a signal and all of sudden it started raining like HELL. try listening for a signal during a downpour! well, NO signal, just static. finally, after an hour, the static quit and i'm thinking what the hell. i switched over to the other battery and voila..... a signal. i found him, with the assistance of someone wondering what i was doing and asking "are you looking for a hawk?"..."it's over there eating a pigeon" ( btw...the most wonderful phrase i've EVER heard). he was 100 yds from where i last saw him next to the showroom of a car dealership eating his first wild kill. i was a happy bastard who learned his lesson (with a lucky outcome) about gut feelings and fresh batteries. don't give up and try the ravine some more.. "visually" as well because he may be on the ground in a weak state if he hasn't eaten anything. also call the local authorities so if he winds up somewhere hoping someone will feed him, they'll have your number. we have another very cold night tonite so i'd really look him today if you have the time. good luck

frootdog
02-05-2009, 11:54 AM
If he is kite trained throw up the kite where you lost him and he may come in to it. I know a few falconers that have got thier falcons back by doing that.

Jenifre
02-05-2009, 11:48 PM
I actually replaced the batteries on the receiver the next day...but nothing changed....still no signal. I was out there today until about 2pm. I went back to the original place a few times and swung a lure for a long time. I swung it in several places...nothing. I went back at 5:30 and swung it some more at 2 places before the sun went down. Nothing yet.

threetoe
02-26-2009, 04:01 PM
Any news?
It took me 4 days to find my RT last year. Several who have lost birds have told 2 weeks is not unusual.

I hope you've found the bird.

Roper
02-26-2009, 05:02 PM
go with what jeff has said .. your radious will increase 10 fold if you get in a plane . do what jeff said as far as the antena and coax tape the antenta to a wing strut and .. If your receiver has a place for a head set . use it .. it will drown out the engine noises from the plane..and you can hear the beep better.. you can also have your husband on the ground and call him and direct him.
when I was flying falcons and lost my bird .. I almost always had a signal when i got up in the plane ..
good luck...
You might also call the police in the area in case they get a call .. they can call you.