PDA

View Full Version : poisonous to dogs



goshawks00
02-06-2009, 10:24 PM
This was past on to me.
Barry


Snopes direct URL: http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/xylitol.asp (http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/xylitol.asp)

Subj: Xylitol toxic to dogs







This is TRUE, not a hoax. Please read the Snopes (http://www.snopes/) link. Please cross post







If you have a dog READ THIS -- then forward to all you know who do have a dog !



If you don't have a dog -- forward to all you know who do have a dog as well as to those who love pets !!
This is true:
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/xylitol.asp (http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/xylitol.asp)
Warning to all dog owners - pass this on to everyone you can. Last Friday evening, I arrived home from work, fed Chloe, our 24 Lb. Dachshund, just as I normally do. Ten minutes later I walked into the den just in time to see her head inside the pocket of Katie's friend's purse. She had a guilty look on her face so I looked closer and saw a small package of sugar-free gum. It contained xylitol. I remembered that I had recently read that sugar-free gum can be deadly for dogs so I jumped on line and looked to see if xylitol was the ingredient. I found the first website below and it was the one. Next, I called
Our vet. She said to bring her in immediately.
Unfortunately, it was still rush hour and it took me almost 1/2 hour to get there. Meanwhile, since this was her first case, our vet found another website to figure out the treatment. She took Chloe and said they would induce her to vomit, give her a charcoal drink to absorb the toxin (even though they don't think it works) then they would start an iv with dextrose. The xylitol causes dogs to secrete insulin so their blood sugar drops very quickly. The second
Thing that happens is liver failure. & If that happens, even with aggressive treatment, it can be difficult to save them. She told us she would call us. Almost two hours later, the vet called and said that contents of her stomach
Contained 2-3 gum wrappers a ND that her blood sugar had dropped from 90 to 59 in 30 minutes. She wanted us to take Chloe to another hospital that has a critical care unit operating around the clock. We picked her up and took her
There. They had us call the ASPCA poison control for a case number and for a donation, their doctors would direct Chloe's doctor on treatment. They would continue the iv, monitor her blood every other hour and then in 2 days
Test her liver function. She ended up with a central line in her jugular vein since the one in her leg collapsed, just as our regular vet had feared. Chloe spent almost the entire weekend in the critical care hospital. After her blood sugar was stabilized Ed, she came home yesterday. They ran all the tests again before they released her and so far, no sign of liver damage. Had I not seen her head in the purse, she probably would have died and we wouldn't even had known why.
Three vets told me this weekend, that they were amazed that I even knew about it since they are first learning about it too. Please tell everyone you know about xylitol and dogs It may save another life!

























=

BestBeagler
02-07-2009, 06:37 PM
Thanks for sharing. So donít let those dogs get into sugar free gum and raisins. Isaac

forestfalcon
02-07-2009, 07:55 PM
Thanks for sharing. So donít let those dogs get into sugar free gum and raisins. Isaac

Grapes too. The mechanism of grape and raisin toxicity is not yet understood. While some dogs aren't affected, others can go into renal failure. Other food items to avoid: Chocolate, coffee, onions, garlic, and macadamia nuts.

borderhawk
02-07-2009, 09:50 PM
not to mention bacon and the gristle and fat off your steaks, etc = pancreatitis

Karl Leadley
02-09-2009, 02:47 PM
Chocolate and caffeine are deadly in sufficient dose.
(One to keep in mind as easter looms).

garfong
02-11-2009, 10:37 AM
I actually had this happen with my 9lb mini-doxie this past fall. He ate almost half a pack of orbit sugar-free gum. Fortunately, I'd gotten a email similar to the snopes link you posted, so I knew this was serious.

The vet had him on an dextrose IV and gave him several enemas over the course of the day. Unfortunately, his blood sugar was still crashing and the vets was closing. What we did was use a diabetes monitor to check him every 30 min to an hour. If he started crashing we fed him bread saturated in syrup or anything that would bump his bloodsugar up. He eventually stabilized at around 5 am the next morning.

Looking back I think I was rather blessed. The recovery rate is pretty morbid:
http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/abs/10.2460/javma.229.7.1113

EDIT: Bacon really? My lil guy will be so sad :(

deslni01
05-18-2009, 03:37 PM
If anyone delves into home beer brewing, note that hops are poisonous (this applies to anyone who grows hops either for brewing or other reasons).

GregMik
05-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Last weekend I was staying at a friends house. They have a guest cabin. I went in and set up for a good nights sleep after having a good time playing cards and having a few barley pops.

I then called the dogs up to the loft with me. That was when I heard the sound of crunching. I turned around as saw Dekker chewing on what looked like a urinal cake. I went into the bathroom and there was a package of Rat Poison on the floor with 3 of the 8 pieces missing.

I stopped Dekker from eating what was left and ran into the house with the package. I asked them how much was used to try to figure out how much he had eaten. Luckily he had only eaten one.

I called the 800 number on the package, they were not to conserned until I told them how old Dekker is. Then she said to take him into the Vet in the morning. I asked her if I should just make him puke it up, and what could i use to accomplish this. She was hesitant, but I was insistant and she said Hydrogene Peroxide will make them puke almost immediatly.

I gave him some and sure enough worked slick. I brought him to a friend of mine who just graduated for Vet school on May 2nd and she said he would be fine, because I got the poison out immediately and he had only eaten one of the pieces.

So remember if you catch your dog getting into something they should not be eating, get it out as fast as you can, Hydrogen Peroxide works great.


This stupid mutt is like a cat, at least nine livesrantt

Greg

sevristh
05-18-2009, 09:42 PM
A word of caution on the hydrogen peroxide trick... I did this for my weimaraner when it was discovered that he had eaten an entire bag of Hershey's Gold Nugget chocolates. I forced him to drink some, and waited and waited... Forced him to drink some more... waited some more... Finally ended up just sticking my finger down his throat until he threw up. Did this a couple times, didn't see any more chocolate, so we let him run around outside a bit more and eventually went to bed.... Woke up the next morning to about 15 piles of puke spread throughout the house... Evidently it took a while for it to take effect. There was indeed more chocolate left inside him. Luckily, most of them he had swallowed whole, they came back out with the wrapper still on! :eek: But it's baker's chocolate that is VERY harmful to dogs. Milk chocolate doesn't have the same cocoa content and they have to consume a pretty large amount for it to be fatal.

frootdog
05-19-2009, 02:43 AM
Subj: Xylitol toxic to dogs

MOST gums have now stopped using this due to the fact that it was indeed toxic to dogs.