PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

uli r.
04-22-2007, 01:22 PM
Hello, I am not a falconry person but have done some rehabilitation in the past. I am a veterinarian and run into raptors quite a bit. I decided to participate in this forum to learn more about raptors - in my situation I am mostly interested in healing, rehabilitating etc. I have raised greathorn owls and marsh-hawks a few years ago. My husband is a falconer - through him I had the chance to learn a lot about their behavior. He loves to work with them, but when they need medical attention thean I have to step in. There he is a "softy", I am the "softy" when he flys his hawk on other cute little birds....but I learned to understand....

`Chris L.
04-22-2007, 02:06 PM
Welcome to NAFEX. We have a great group of falconers on here that are very friendly. Where is your ractice located? What does your husband fly?

I hope you enjoy the site and please dont hesitate to post.

Again welcome

(oh yeah, We like for our members to sign their posts with their real names.. If your name is Uli, then you dont have to. It just helps keep the board clean.)

uli r.
04-22-2007, 02:36 PM
I am located in Polson, Montana. My husband is actually Carlos R., he just introduced himself this morning. He is flying a passage tiercel goshawk at the time and we are going to purchase a finnish goshawk.
I am looking forward for the finnish goshawk then some peace will come to our house - so I hope. Well, his hawk came a long way, but yet a lot of times I still move too fast. Than he bates with the consequence that my husband yells at me.....
Uli

Shortwingn
04-22-2007, 05:54 PM
Hi Uli R,
Are you an avian vet? If so you could be a big help to the falconry community if you wanted. Many of us do not have (that would include me) access to vets with the experince or want to deal with raptor cases. Most of the time I am told "that bird is going to die". I ask if they can fill shoping list and bring it back for other help sometimes years later.
Have any interest?

kimmerar
04-22-2007, 08:56 PM
Welcome Uli

I've done a little rehab work too. I never realized how important it is to have a fit bird. I never really knew until falconry how important it is to get them strong for releasing. I will always use a rahabber that is a falconer or has falconry experience.

Welcome again and it would be great to have a vet available.

I've been dealing with a swollen ankle (hit a fence) on my kestrel for weeks now (went to a vet who said to release her in her mew after 5 days of treatment). Now - she is very hard to catch for treatments. I have tethered her again. Got some new stuff I'm going to try when it gets here through the mail. The treatment I'm using has made it not worse but it's not going away either. Turning her loose in her mew did make the swelling a little bigger now that I think about it.

Anyway - I'm not asking for help on that YET. Not hot to the touch so I'm not worried about infection yet.

Thanks for joining. There is a lot of info here and a very nice group to talk with.

outhawkn
04-22-2007, 09:10 PM
Uli

Welcome. these are nice people on here.I hope you enjoy. [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

uli r.
04-22-2007, 11:38 PM
Hi all,
thank you for your replies after my introduction!
I am a veterinarian for small animals (dogs, cats and smaller) - we treat mainly dogs and cats.
I really want to get more knowledgeable about the treatment and release of wildlife birds.
Yes - it is a common reply for a veterinarian to say: once sick they die ...well, I know they are touchy but yet I believe some and even more of them do have a chance to survive.
In rehabilitating a bird, most difficult for me is the part of the release. It is not always easy to determine when they are really ready to go. I realize that the whole process of releasing is very cruciate for the survival of the bird. I had some success but yet could share a few sad stories as well.
Everybody is welcome to ask me for veterinary advice but remember I am in the learning process.
Uli