PDA

View Full Version : Hello From Pennsylvania

Jd93
03-05-2009, 10:04 PM
Hi I'm Jacob!

I want to become an Apprentice but I need some help finding a General or Master in PA.

Does anyone know of any?

cliffw
03-05-2009, 10:29 PM
(welc) Jacob,

I can't help you with the sponsor I in Florida, good luck.

FredFogg
03-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Go through these threads and you should find some information on how to obtain a packet from your state and how to locate a sponser.

http://www.nafex.net/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Also, go to the Pennsylvania Hawk And Trust website and contact someone on there and they may be able to help you.

http://www.pfht.org/

Good luck,

Jd93
03-05-2009, 10:37 PM
I have one more question...what age must I be to be an apperentice? I'll be 16 on May 29th...

Thanks!

FredFogg
03-05-2009, 10:40 PM
You are old enough, the current regulations require you to be 14, the new regs are lowering it to 12, but each state can have their own age limit. I will be 17 on May 23rd, oops, I mean 49. toungeout:D

everetkhorton
03-05-2009, 11:36 PM
(welc)Jacob. Contact the hawking club in PA. They seam to have a active group. Start going over the old post on the forum and you will get a lot of information on almost every subject related to falconry and more.

Jd93
03-06-2009, 03:32 AM
Wow Now I'm really sad...all my dreams just died.

I have to be 16 in PA to even get my apprenticeship...Well now I have 3 more months before I can even think about falconry... Why is it so high in PA?

FredFogg
03-06-2009, 06:40 AM
Wow Now I'm really sad...all my dreams just died.

I have to be 16 in PA to even get my apprenticeship...Well now I have 3 more months before I can even think about falconry... Why is it so high in PA?

You need to sign your post with your first name, we are on a first name basis here to keep things friendly. Go into User CP and create a signature with your name, it will automatically put your signature at the end of every post so you won't have to type your name each time.

As far as waiting 3 months, get a grip! It will take you 3 months to study for the test. You have to find a sponser first, then you will have to take the test, then you will have to build your facilities to hold a bird, then collect all the equipment you will need and all of this has to be done before you can even trap your first bird, which can't be done until next fall. Patience is one of the biggest things you will need in falconry, if you can't wait 3 months to even take your test, you won't make it in falconry.
I would start collecting all the books listed on the apprentice threads and reading them. You have all spring and summer.

Good luck,

Jd93
03-06-2009, 06:47 AM
I'll start right away...but where do I find a sponsor, is there a list somewhere?

FredFogg
03-06-2009, 07:33 AM
I'll start right away...but where do I find a sponsor, is there a list somewhere?

I would read every single word on the entire site of the link below, then contact the Apprentice Coordinator! Most sponsers are going to ask you some basic falconry questions before the take you on, some may even require you to go hunting with them for a year first, so don't be in such a hurry. Nothing in falconry is fast except the bird chasing game.

http://www.pfht.org/apprentice.php

hawkstir
03-06-2009, 09:01 AM
Hello Jacob and welcome to NAFEX.

Go to the PFHT website and follow the links to the apprentice coordinator. She'll direct you to falconers in your area. There is also a lot of information there to tell you how to get started.

Where in PA are you? I'm in Tioga County. Feel free to PM or email me with questions and I'll try to answer them. How did you learn about falconry? Have you been on a hunt?

Be patient. You've got some homework to do first.