PDA

View Full Version : Redtail Found

hawkstir
03-21-2009, 09:15 AM
An immature redtail hawk was found in New Jersey with equipment on and trailing a leash.
None of the New Jersy falconers are missing a bird so it may be from PA.
If this is your missing hawk contact Chris Brown at 908-227-9002

Todd Brown
03-21-2009, 11:01 AM
I've not lost my bird ....but just wondering....male or female.

joekoz
03-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Just curious. Where was it found. I fly my PFRT Jane at my daughters farm in Delaware Township just off of Route 12 and about 5 miles north of Flemington. About a month ago when I was flying her there, another RT bolted when we were crossing a field with Jane on my fist and I heard bells on the bird that bolted. Then last week I got a call from someone who lives near my daughter asking me if I lost my bird because they came across a RT on the ground at the edge of a field next to the road they were walking on that didn't bolt when they walked by.

hawkstir
03-21-2009, 07:15 PM
All I know is what was in my original post.

Flatwater Falconer
03-21-2009, 07:31 PM
That was a lucky bird if it was re-trapped. Trailing a leash? How long could it have lived trailing a leash?

Maybe ID tags for all falconry birds is a good idea. Seems so simple. Too bad the feds didn't put that item in the rewrite now that I think about it.

FredFogg
03-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Maybe ID tags for all falconry birds is a good idea. Seems so simple. Too bad the feds didn't put that item in the rewrite now that I think about it.

NO, NO, NO! The last thing we need is for the Feds to make us put ID tags on birds. It is dumb enough that some states make folks put bands on trapped passage birds. The less rules we have with the feds, the better off we will be. I think most lost falconry birds, if found, are reunited with their owner as the falconry community is pretty good about keeping in touch with each other about these types of things. Just my humble opinion! :D

falconer_39
03-28-2009, 11:06 AM
i agree with you fred we dont need more fed influence
but in my state they make us put little black bands on the bird so if that rt has a band can your state rep not look up who lost it.

MadAustringer
04-29-2009, 06:56 AM
I write my phone number on the anklets or jesses.

I do not want the feds to make more rules for us. And I worry about a culture among falconers that I see developing. It seems that every time someone does not like what another falconer is doing, I start to hear people wishing how the feds would make this or that rule... I think anytime anyone wishes out loud or in type that we falconers need more rules, that person is inadvertently harming American falconry, just a little bit.

just my $0.02