PDA

View Full Version : Hello from NW Oregon!

lupine
03-27-2009, 03:24 AM
Hi there...chiming in from NW Oregon! Been lurking for about a week, and after a lifelong interest in raptors and hunting, I'm moving forward toward an apprenticeship. Probably won't be ready until the 2010/11 season, but all the more time to get serious about planning and learning.

Looking forward to meeting other falconers in Washington and Oregon, and taking advantage of all the information here!

Mish

everetkhorton
03-27-2009, 07:58 AM
Mish:
(welc)Glad to see you sign your post. 2010 is not that far off. Good luck. You will find a lot of information in the prior post and many subjects. There is a good thread going on mews at the present time you may want to jump in on.

BlackTalon
03-27-2009, 08:48 AM
Welcome to NAFEX!

Richard F, Hoyer
03-27-2009, 11:40 AM
Mish,
If you are interested in meeting up with other falconer from Oregon, the Oregon Falconers
Assn. will be having its summer gathering June 26 - 28 at the Crooked River Ranch in Central Oregon.

By now, most falconers in Oregon have called it a season. However, I will be hunting my female Harris' Hawk until late April. As a matter of fact, Chris Fox of Eugene came up yesterday and we first hunted in female Goshawk then after flushing a couple of Whoppers at Burger King, we hunting my bird.

If you wish to have a chance to watch a HH hunt, being retired, I go out every other day and you are welcome to come along any time. As a matter of fact, Chris and his wife (also a falconer) may come up tomorrow so you would be able to see his Goshawk hunt and perhaps Sabrina's intermewed Red-tail as well.

I can be contacted at charinabottae@earthlink.net

Richard F. Hoyer (Corvallis, Oregon)

lupine
03-27-2009, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the welcomes!

Richard, thanks for the info---I'm saving the dates for the meet-up, and I WILL be there! Unfortunately I work Saturday (I know, LAME excuse, but off-season for falconry is on season for my industry...agriculture) but I will DEFINITELY take a rain check!

I'm working hard on my bushwhacking skills. The site where I'd build my mews is overrun with brambles, and Sunday I've endeavored to sharpen my machete and give them what-for. And I'm having my better half make me a custom brush bashing staff, so I'll be in fine form next season to whore myself out as a flusher.

Though 2010 is the most realistic time for me to begin an official apprenticeship, I could very well pull off a 2009 start, but not before meeting some important obligations.

Michelle