PDA

View Full Version : New Hampshire

jboro
04-17-2009, 08:51 AM
Hello to everyone.

I've enjoyed looking through the forum for the past couple weeks. There is a lot of good information here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

Someday maybe I'll have something to add.

Happy moulting!

BlackTalon
04-17-2009, 09:24 AM
(welc)

Post your name in your sig. Hurry, before Ev sees it! He is trained to attack if there is no name! :eek:

jboro
04-17-2009, 09:45 AM
What's the name thing all about?

Saluqi
04-17-2009, 10:16 AM
What's the name thing all about?

Besides not discussing religion or politics, the only other rule here is that you must post using your real name. It keeps things friendly and makes it less likely that folks will post dirt under the disguise of an alias.

jboro
04-17-2009, 10:55 AM
I gotcha...

No problem on religion, politics or the name game.

Saluqi
04-17-2009, 11:22 AM
By the way, welcome to NAFEX!!! NH is sure a pretty state, gotta be a tough place to be a falconer though....

jboro
04-17-2009, 11:39 AM
It hasn't been easy thats for sure. Not much open land, a whole lot of old growth forest.

I flew a couple of red-tails as an apprentice, no cottontails to speak of, but we had fun with snowshoe hares and gray squirrels. Then I flew a female kestrel for a season and had fun with sparrows and starlings, then I took an eyass merlin and had even more fun with sparrows and starlings.

This year the plan will be ducks in the marshes with a gyr/barbary. I may take another eyass merlin as well, they are so much fun.

Saluqi
04-17-2009, 11:52 AM
It hasn't been easy thats for sure. Not much open land, a whole lot of old growth forest.

I flew a couple of red-tails as an apprentice, no cottontails to speak of, but we had fun with snowshoe hares and gray squirrels. Then I flew a female kestrel for a season and had fun with sparrows and starlings, then I took an eyass merlin and had even more fun with sparrows and starlings.

This year the plan will be ducks in the marshes with a gyr/barbary. I may take another eyass merlin as well, they are so much fun.

Wow! Sounds like a pretty good variation in birds!! Are merlin nests tough to come by? I've heard that in the Adirondacks of NY there are many breeding pairs, do you have to go to the White Mtns to get them?

Where are you located?

jboro
04-17-2009, 12:02 PM
I'm in Southern New Hampshire right near Mt. Monadnock.

Merlins haven't been hard to find in the past few years, they're nesting in tall spruce's in residential areas taking advantage of all the people with bird feeders in their back yards. Last year was a bad year and the nest I took an eyass from only produced two birds. That same nest a year before fledged 4 young.

I have a few areas to watch these days and they are less than 30 minutes from my house. (Don't have to go the white mtns.) The merlins are back but haven't started nesting yet.

This is a pretty good territory for gos and sharpies but I haven't got the time or the courage for an eyass gos or sharpy yet. I'm working with a german wire hair puppy this year and my wife and I are adopting. Maybe next year.

Saluqi
04-17-2009, 12:11 PM
I'm in Southern New Hampshire right near Mt. Monadnock.

Merlins haven't been hard to find in the past few years, they're nesting in tall spruce's in residential areas taking advantage of all the people with bird feeders in their back yards. Last year was a bad year and the nest I took an eyass from only produced two birds. That same nest a year before fledged 4 young.

I have a few areas to watch these days and they are less than 30 minutes from my house. (Don't have to go the white mtns.) The merlins are back but haven't started nesting yet.

This is a pretty good territory for gos and sharpies but I haven't got the time or the courage for an eyass gos or sharpy yet. I'm working with a german wire hair puppy this year and my wife and I are adopting. Maybe next year.

That's neat that merlins have taken up the suburban falcon niche, I wish we had them here in NM.

I would say you have your work cut out for you, a puppy and impending baby are lot to bite off! Congratulations on the adoption!!!

thunderheartiii
04-17-2009, 05:25 PM
(welc)

tumble
04-18-2009, 04:10 PM
Hi Jacob, I watched a merlin hunting a fairly busy suburban road here in Maine today. I've seen 3 so far this month. Actually, one landed in a tree about 15 feet from my redtails weathering pen. I imagine they'd be a blast. What is your merlin season like there, game numbers, etc?