PDA

View Full Version : Hello From Ben Crane

Ben Crane
04-23-2009, 05:54 AM
Hello all, nice to see some familiar faces. It's good to be on an american site, as I need to learn some tips and tricks about trapping. Something us limey's have lost in the mists of time. I have had the pleasure of seeing what you guys do first hand on at least four occassions. Two of the best flights of my life have come from the states. A great country with a fine falconry tradition.

clappclappclappclapp

FredFogg
04-23-2009, 06:06 AM
(welc)to NAFEX! On your next trip to the States, stick a breeding pair of spars in your suitcase for me! LOL :D

Lee Slikkers
04-23-2009, 06:18 AM
(welc) Ben, good to see your name on here. Any specific type of trapping?

Ben Crane
04-23-2009, 06:29 AM
(welc) Ben, good to see your name on here. Any specific type of trapping?

All of it. Its pretty addictive. I guess I have yet to do blind trapping on migratory paths, but I am currently trying to figure out how to find wild spar nest in the UK. Of course I would never remove an eyass, just for the research you understand....*COUGH COUGH*

sakerjack
04-23-2009, 06:32 AM
Welcome to NAFEX Ben

FredFogg
04-23-2009, 06:42 AM
All of it. Its pretty addictive. I guess I have yet to do blind trapping on migratory paths, but I am currently trying to figure out how to find wild spar nest in the UK. Of course I would never remove an eyass, just for the research you understand....*COUGH COUGH*

Ben, I would imagine finding a spar nest is a lot like finding a sharpie or coops nest here in the states. There are a couple ways of doing it. One way is to search an area where you often see spars and look for their plucking post, the nest will be near by. Another way is to watch for them soaring and courting each other during their soar. I know accipiters don't soar like the larger buteo's, but they do soar some at mid morning, or at least our coops do. When they are courting each other, they will crab in the air and then just drop straight down into the woods. This is usually where they will nest. Another note, our accipiters build their nest with sticks, which distiguishes them from squirrels and other types of nest as most other nest have leaves in them. Good luck and if you do find a nest, definately take a lot of pictures and post them on here. I love the spar and would love to fly one some day!

Lee Slikkers
04-23-2009, 06:47 AM
Ben, I recently picked up this book to see what it had for content and feel it does a pretty decent job.

http://www.westernsporting.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1111&Product_Code=FB1054&Category_Code=FB

FredFogg
04-23-2009, 06:51 AM
Ben, I recently picked up this book to see what it had for content and feel it does a pretty decent job.

http://www.westernsporting.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1111&Product_Code=FB1054&Category_Code=FB

Lee, I have the book too and agree, it explains things pretty well and is very useful. I bought it before I headed toward the NAFA meet in Amarillo to brush up on using a phai trap and dho ghazza.

Ben Crane
04-23-2009, 07:49 AM
Cheers guys.

I have a spar that I see regularly. She has taken stuff in my garden. I also have an old nest located. But as of yet I have not seen them courting. Cheers for the book lee I will order it after pay day.

GregMik
04-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Welcome Ben!

Good to see you on here. I have told you before you are welcome to come over here in the fall and go trapping with me up on Hawk Ridge.

Greg

BlackTalon
04-23-2009, 12:27 PM
Welcome Ben!

Good to see you on here. I have told you before you are welcome to come over here in the fall and go trapping with me up on Hawk Ridge.

Greg

Plus he has an App now to carry all the gear for you guys....

Welcome Ben!

outhawkn
04-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Welcome Ben!

Greg

(welc)(welc), Good to have you here Ben. You should really take Greg up on his offer. Chances are you have NEVER ( sorry for shouting toungeout) expeienced anything like trapping or even hawk watching on Hawk Ridge!! You can see from a few to tens of thousands of migrating raptors in a single day. I live 90 miles from there and we dont see that many here, but on some days you can watch a goshawk go by every 10 minutes all day long.............

Lee Slikkers
04-23-2009, 01:36 PM
on some days you can watch a goshawk go by every 10 minutes all day long.............

Seriously Bill?

outhawkn
04-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Seriously Bill?

Well, it wasnt the whole truth................they usually stop by long enough to grab one of my homers then they're off again..........toungeout

I think the record is over 100,000 broadwinged hawks in a single day.Not near that many gos's of course.

Lee Slikkers
04-23-2009, 02:41 PM
clapp

GregMik
04-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Lee,

They saw 184 goshawks fly by the overlook on Hawk Ridge last fall.

http://www.hawkcount.org/month_summary.php?rsite=288&ryear=2008&rmonth=08&sec=key

Greg

Lee Slikkers
04-23-2009, 04:27 PM
Lee,

http://www.hawkcount.org/month_summary.php?rsite=288&ryear=2008&rmonth=08&sec=key

Greg

Greg,

That is astounding...someday I'll have to make the trip over and visit the location. I'm sure it would be well worth the effort and time.

Eagle Owl
04-23-2009, 05:03 PM
Welcome aboard, Ben! :D

thunderheartiii
04-23-2009, 07:21 PM
(welc)

FredFogg
04-23-2009, 09:35 PM
Lee,

Greg

Looks like October is the best month to trap a gos from their counts. Cool!

Ben Crane
04-24-2009, 01:59 AM
thanks for the welcome people. Greg, don't worry your on my to do list. But what with the new breeding pair of sparrowhawks and a road trip to portugal to look at bi-coloured spars later in the year I am spent out for a while. If only I was a millionaire. :D

frootdog
04-24-2009, 08:30 AM
Greg, don't worry your on my to do list.

:eek: What?! Welcome to NAFEX Ben. Make sure if you make it to MN you actually make it out to the mountain. ;)

Ben Crane
04-24-2009, 01:08 PM
:eek: What?! Welcome to NAFEX Ben. Make sure if you make it to MN you actually make it out to the mountain. ;)

I'll try...........just keep me away from those tequilas.

dirtwinger
04-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Welcome to Nafex Ben and good luck with the spars. When you going to move over here? The huntings great and you can trap, I miss good beer but for falconry I have no regrets for moving.

all the best Terence

PS bring the spars

GregMik
04-24-2009, 06:08 PM
Looks like October is the best month to trap a gos from their counts. Cool!

Yes Oct, is the best as far as numbers go. We have always caught ours in early Sept tho. The more time you put in the better your chances are.

Greg

GregMik
04-24-2009, 06:11 PM
thanks for the welcome people. Greg, don't worry your on my to do list. But what with the new breeding pair of sparrowhawks and a road trip to portugal to look at bi-coloured spars later in the year I am spent out for a while. If only I was a millionaire. :D

Ben,

The Ridge is a very rustic place, food is cheap, but not fast. Colman Stove type stuff. I think you would have a place to stay, and if you want a vehicle, I may be able to loan you one. But if you just come for a week, who needs a car when you will be trapping all the time.

Kris Ulens came over for just about airfare.

Find a week and pay airfare and you will have a blast.

Greg

wyodjm
04-24-2009, 07:14 PM
Ben:

Don't know when you're planning on being here. A few of us ridge trap south of the Hoback wilderness in Wyoming. A good number of goshawks and a lot of redtails in all sizes and colors. I've been going up on this ridge for over 20 years off and on. Blind trapping with a lure pole, pigeon, and bow net.

On another note, it would be great to have you experience trapping passage golden eagles also. That usually occurs in the spring during lambing season here in southwest Wyoming. The trapping of eagles for falconry purposes may be on hold, however, and its future is rather uncertain.

Perhaps next spring.

Best,

wyodjm
04-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Ben:

Don't know when you're planning on being here. A few of us ridge trap south of the Hoback wilderness in Wyoming. A good number of goshawks and a lot of redtails in all sizes and colors. I've been going up on this ridge for over 20 years off and on. Blind trapping with a lure pole, pigeon, and bow net.

On another note, it would be great to have you experience trapping passage golden eagles also. That usually occurs in the spring during lambing season here in southwest Wyoming. The trapping of eagles for falconry purposes may be on hold, however, and its future is rather uncertain.

Perhaps next spring.

Best,

I wasn't trying to cramp your style Greg. Heck, I'd like to hawk trap in MN sometime. :)

Best,

GregMik
04-24-2009, 09:32 PM
I wasn't trying to cramp your style Greg. Heck, I'd like to hawk trap in MN sometime. :)

Best,

I did not take it that way Dan;)

I would love to go over and trap with you! clapp

You are very welcome to come and trap with me anytime!!!

Greg

GregMik
04-24-2009, 09:46 PM
Plus he has an App now to carry all the gear for you guys....

Welcome Ben!

Just so you will not miss him.....

Lord knows why she is with him....but to each their own....

http://www.freewebs.com/gregmikk/-%20New%20Folder/MFAFun/Jason22April09_4055.jpg

GregMik
04-25-2009, 12:08 AM
Just so you all know....Ben and I hung out together at the Falconry Festival...And saw stuff that only the Gods should see happen.....:D

Greg

frootdog
04-25-2009, 12:31 AM
saw stuff that only the Gods should see happen.....:D

Greg

Like you breaking someone's leg?...how Soprano's of you...........

Ben Crane
04-25-2009, 04:21 AM
Cheers guys I am overwhelmed at the generosity. Trust me once Portugal is out of the way, the states it shall be. Terence is right, I may have to move one day.

And for those that don't know....greg is refering to an incident at the festival when two ladies emerged from a show in towels after spending 15 minutes washing each other down at 7am in the morning.