PDA

View Full Version : English Pointer needs home

frootdog
05-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Hey Everyone,

I need some help finding a home for an English Pointer that I became the new owner of last night. I will post pics later. The dog came to the clinic after being hit by a car. Her former owners would not pay for treatment and agreed to surrender the dog to me. I am paying for all the treatment and I would take on this challenge if it were not for the fact that I already have 5 dogs and the inn is full so to speak. She has severe injuries to her right front leg, broken ribs, and road rash. The former owner said she is a magnificent hunting dog. This is a link for the sire of the dog in question. I'm still trying to get more info for the dam. http://georgiapointers.com/dog.php?dogID=90

Unfourtunately the dog is going to loose the right front leg. We are amputating on Monday. The combination of injuries to the carpus and dislocation of the elbow are such that the dog will not be able to uue the leg well anyway even if we are able to put everything back together.

The dog is a female liver and white 2.5 yrs old. Does anyone want her or know someone that would give her a try. She should still be able to hunt. She has a super sweet disposition. If anyone has any more questions feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer.

jfseaman
05-09-2009, 01:11 PM
Is she 'Elhew'/american type? That is with the tail high up.
Is she intact?

frootdog
05-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Is she intact?

She is intact. Her most recent litter was in January. Current Vaccines, current on heartworm prevention, has also had the rattlesnake vaccine. I will find out about the pointing stlye, but the sire does have some elhew in him.

Eagle Owl
05-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Here are the pictures of Paint.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/frootdog/Paint2.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/frootdog/Paint3.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/frootdog/Paint1.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/frootdog/Paintleg.jpg

frootdog
05-09-2009, 02:33 PM

Her point is described as a very low crouch tail high and slighly arched over her back.

lupine
05-09-2009, 07:20 PM
What a sad story, and I hope it has a happy ending. I'd be tempted, having recently lost my canine best friend after 13 great years, but I'm not quite there yet.

Curious--and not to start a negative hijack, but--the owners WOULD or COULD not pay for her bills?

It's amazing what active dogs can do with three legs, far more than with three good ones and one problematic one. I hope you find a good home for this sweet girl. If I were closer, I'd offer my home for fostering, but alas...

Keep us posted. I'll bet you'll find her a new home with a member or a member's connections.

frootdog
05-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Curious--and not to start a negative hijack, but--the owners WOULD or COULD not pay for her bills?

Would not. He could not justify the expense for a dog that may or may not hunt again when he had a couple of her pups left still. If we could have told him the dog would do well in the field after all was said and done he would have spent the money.

ikcus
05-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Man, I wish it was not a 2 day drive for me to get to your part of the country. If she hunted well, before, she will hunt just as well as a tripod. I just do not think after the surgery and recovery a plane ride would be the best thing. Just too much stress for the gal. I hope some one close picks her up. You rank very high in my book Krys for doing what you are doing. I commend your actions as a great human being. My family and I will keep her in our thoughts and prayers for an outstanding recovery.

deslni01
05-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Indeed this is a sad story. From my brief reading periods here on the forums I feel that almost everyone here would do what they could to take care of the poor pup, whereas some people - the owners - are just letting her go.

If I had the time and money to take care of a pup such as this I would. But unfortunately I don't, right now. My mother is a veterinarian in Minnesota and she sees similar cases quite often, and it really is disheartening. (Speaking of which, there's a 5 month old Irish Setter with papers in Rochester, MN that's looking for a home, if anyone is interested! Would be an amazing hunting dog, especially since it's only 5 months old!)

Heatherg
05-11-2009, 12:06 PM
Thanks to Krys....Paint has a home if the surgery goes well. Her new home will be here in MN. THANKS KRYS.....just what I needed was another dog:D:D But I am happy to do it, and happy that I can:D

frootdog
05-12-2009, 02:00 AM
THANKS KRYS.....

Hey what are friends for?

Eagle Owl
05-13-2009, 09:51 PM
Here are some pictures of Paint.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/frootdog/Paint1-1.jpg

Slevin (Mastiff), Frognot and Paint.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/frootdog/Dogs1.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/frootdog/Dogs2.jpg

Paint and Moose.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/frootdog/PaintMoose.jpg

frootdog
05-13-2009, 10:45 PM
Keep in mind these pictures are only 2 days post-op. Paint had surgery Monday afternoon. 48 hours later she is runnin with the big dogs. She is doing very well. The third picture you can see Paint is going a bit too fast and is actually about to bite it by doing a face plant. I added up the totals of all this and what it is costing me and all I can say in the words or Dierks Bentley "What was I thinking?". Thanks to averyone for the well wishes and kind words. Heather when are you comming to get the beast. You better hurry before I get attached and change my mind. Paint is curled up in my lap as I type this.

Chris L.
05-13-2009, 10:59 PM
its great to see she recovered.

good to see paint smiling :D..

frootdog
05-13-2009, 11:03 PM
its great to see she recovered.

good to see paint smiling :D..

What I've spent on her so far I could probably by one of your trucks from you. She's gonna do great. Now the trick is to see if Heather can get her hunting again.

jfseaman
05-14-2009, 12:14 AM
What I've spent on her so far I could probably by one of your trucks from you. She's gonna do great. Now the trick is to see if Heather can get her hunting again.
Your killing me. She's perfect but I don't think the misses will allow it. I have too many animals now (birds) and in her mind there is no room for another dog, especially with pups in the program.

frootdog
05-14-2009, 12:30 AM
Your killing me. She's perfect but I don't think the misses will allow it. I have too many animals now (birds) and in her mind there is no room for another dog, especially with pups in the program.

You should see the entire pedigree from FDSB................

sevristh
05-14-2009, 08:35 AM
First off, as others have said, that's awesome that you did that Krys!

Secondly, it's amazing how resilient she seems to be given that she's that active right after surgery! Definitely seems to be a very happy and energetic dog!

Kudos also to Heather for offering her a new home and a new beginning! clapp

ikcus
05-14-2009, 12:21 PM
Simply amazing! I though the surgery would have taken a lot out of her. She looks wonderful and in excellent spirits. If you wanna back out Heather, I would definitely pay the shipping and get her in the field. :D
Great job Krys and Heather. I can not wait to see here progress!

Eagle Owl
05-14-2009, 07:29 PM
She is doing really well! Last night she was a bit scared and kept shaking, so Krys put her on the couch and she laid in his lap most of the evening. Today she is a LOT better and isn't shaking at all. She is getting around the house just fine, but she can't jump on the couch, so when she walks over to it, I pick her up and put her up there.

Right now she is sound asleep on the couch! Poor thing has scraps and punctures all over her. It is hard finding a place to pet her that doesn't have a sore. :( But she will be healed and back in the field hunting in no time!

sevristh
05-14-2009, 07:34 PM
...she can't jump on the couch, so when she walks over to it, I pick her up and put her up there.

I'm betting she hopes you'll keep believing that too! haha! toungeout

Eagle Owl
05-14-2009, 07:38 PM
I'm betting she hopes you'll keep believing that too! haha! toungeout

LOL You are probably right! But that's OK...I will continue to baby her as long as she wants me to!:D She has been through hell and deserves at least that much!!!!

frootdog
05-14-2009, 10:14 PM
...I will continue to baby her as long as she wants me to!:D !

That's the damn truth. I just got home and Brandi is sitting on the couch hand feeding her kibble one piece at a time!crazyy

Eagle Owl
05-14-2009, 10:24 PM
That's the damn truth. I just got home and Brandi is sitting on the couch hand feeding her kibble one piece at a time!crazyy

jaww No I wasn't!!!! I don't know what you are talking about!!:D It was just your imagination!toungeout

lupine
05-15-2009, 03:19 AM
So good to see Paint bouncing back! And Heather, good for you for taking her in. You're both lucky ladies!

Krys (or is it Eagle Owl behind the camera?) you might be able to offset some of those bills by selling some of Dingus' hunting shots. Particularly the one you use in your profile. I'm not kidding.

frootdog
05-15-2009, 09:06 AM
Krys (or is it Eagle Owl behind the camera?) you might be able to offset some of those bills by selling some of Dingus' hunting shots. Particularly the one you use in your profile. I'm not kidding.

We take turns taking pics using my camera. Basically if it's my bird then Brandi is taking pics and vice versa. The pic in my profile is actually not one of my birds, but I did take the pic.

Dirthawking
05-15-2009, 05:52 PM

Hey Krys, where is paint sleeping at night and how is she adapting? :D

frootdog
05-15-2009, 11:58 PM
Hey Krys, where is paint sleeping at night and how is she adapting? :D

Adapting fine. She sleeps outside in the doghouse where dogs belong....duh.;)

Dirthawking
05-16-2009, 12:38 AM
Adapting fine. She sleeps outside in the doghouse where dogs belong....duh.;)

You sleep in the dog house....huh....go figure! boxingg

frootdog
05-16-2009, 12:44 AM
She sleeps in bed with me and the other English pointer.....

Dirthawking
05-16-2009, 12:45 AM
She sleeps in bed with me and the other English pointer.....

:eek: Two girls in your bed!

frootdog
05-16-2009, 12:59 AM
:eek: Two girls in your bed!

If you only knew. Now you better stop or I will get in trouble again.... :D

Dirthawking
05-16-2009, 01:12 AM
If you only knew. Now you better stop or I will get in trouble again.... :D

crazyy

Eagle Owl
05-16-2009, 02:14 AM
Here is a picture I took last night of all the girls on the couch. Paint has made herself at home!!!

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k6/brandi7777/Critters/Girlsoncouch.jpg

akbuteo
05-16-2009, 03:08 AM
You're a great person to do what you've done for this dog; most people would have just had her put to sleep. Kudos to Heather as well for giving her a home. Paint seems like a lovely dog who deserves a second chance :).

frootdog
05-16-2009, 07:41 AM
The great thing is she went from an outdoor only dog to being indoors only and has not had an accident in the house. She got off the couch yesterday and went to the door even. Then when she came back in she hauled herself back up on the couch. :D

frootdog
05-29-2009, 10:49 AM
I took Paint to work last night because she has had some intermittent left rear limb lamenss. At first I thought it was from the road rash, but that has long since healed and the lameness reamained. Then I was thinking the worst (torn ACL). Took her up to work and we removed the sutures from the surgery. Her knee was neither swollen nor unstable so we took some pelvic x-rays. They reavealed a previously undiagnosed pelvic (ishial bone) fracture on the left side. This also would explain why she is still so painful when the other dogs knock her down, and why she does not move around too much. More pain meds and cage rest on the docket now......

Heatherg
05-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Nothing is displaced right??? Is it one fracture or multiple?

frootdog
05-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Nothing is displaced right??? Is it one fracture or multiple?

Nope no displacement. Generally if there is only one fracture and not 2 or more them the injury is self limiting. If they can still walk they will heal without surgery. And yes I asked it won't affect baby making.

Heatherg
05-29-2009, 01:51 PM
Not even a worry at this point....she just needs to be healthy!!! :D We'll see what the future holds. I just have seen to many cases of paralysis with pelvic fractures. Thats all I was worried bout.....thanks all that you are doing with her. ;)

Eagle Owl
06-16-2009, 09:41 PM
Just a quick update on Paint. She is a great dog and has settled in nicely with all the other dogs. She is starting to play more with the other dogs and runs around the yard when outside. She is still a little sore, but is doing great!!! Last night before Krys went to work, he took her outside and played fetch with a tennis ball. Here are a few pics.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/frootdog/Paintplayingball1.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/frootdog/Paintplayingball2.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/frootdog/Paintplayingball3.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/frootdog/Paintplayingball4.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/frootdog/Paintplayingball5.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/frootdog/Paintplayingball6.jpg

Dirthawking
06-16-2009, 09:45 PM
Nice job on the doggie krysie! clapp

Now mow the damn yard would ya. I know that is the weathering yard (chain link fenced area) in the last picture. How do you get a bird in there?

frootdog
06-16-2009, 11:00 PM
I mowed the front yard cause I got a nastygram from the city. The back yard is left o-natural. The growth in the weathering yard provides cover for the birds and makes them feel nice and safe. :D Plus since Dexter has been gone nothing goes in there this time of year.

Eagle Owl
06-16-2009, 11:02 PM
Plus since Dexter has been gone nothing goes in there this time of year.

Uh, what is my bird, chopped liver?

frootdog
06-16-2009, 11:17 PM
chopped liver?

Excellent name for her by the way!toungeout

Eagle Owl
06-17-2009, 07:11 AM
Excellent name for her by the way!toungeout

Ummmm, NO!!!! boxingg

Heatherg
06-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Thanks Brandi for posting more pics. Hopefully she can come home soon:):)

Eagle Owl
06-17-2009, 09:38 PM
Thanks Brandi for posting more pics. Hopefully she can come home soon:):)

No problem, Heather. One word of caution, though...she LOVES to cuddle at night!!! She whines for me to put her on the bed, and a couple of times she as gotten up there by herself when I walked out of the room. She has to bury her head right nest to you. She usually has her nose under my arm pit or nestled right against my neck. She is worse than a clingy woman after sex! :D

FredFogg
06-17-2009, 09:49 PM
She is worse than a clingy woman after sex! :D

Yuk! And I thought the thread about maggots was bad! LOL toungeout:D

frootdog
06-17-2009, 10:28 PM
She is worse than a clingy woman after sex! :D

Been with a few have you?clapp:D

sevristh
06-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Damn Krys, that was exactly what I thought to reply when I saw that message come into my inbox, but hten I got doing something else and forgot about it. I AM beginning to see some sort of theme though in some of Brandi's comments....confusedd ;)

Dirthawking
06-17-2009, 10:37 PM
Wow, I was just wondering the same thing. My birthday is coming up you know! :D

frootdog
06-17-2009, 10:40 PM

Yes we know. Cream filled cake...... WTF?

Eagle Owl
06-17-2009, 10:51 PM
Yuk! And I thought the thread about maggots was bad! LOL toungeout:D

brickkbox2

Wouldn't you like to know!;)

Damn Krys, that was exactly what I thought to reply when I saw that message come into my inbox, but hten I got doing something else and forgot about it. I AM beginning to see some sort of theme though in some of Brandi's comments....confusedd ;)

I don't know what you are talking about!:D ;)

You have to earn that privilege!!!!!!:D

Heatherg
06-18-2009, 01:21 PM
No problem, Heather. One word of caution, though...she LOVES to cuddle at night!!! She whines for me to put her on the bed, and a couple of times she as gotten up there by herself when I walked out of the room. She has to bury her head right nest to you. She usually has her nose under my arm pit or nestled right against my neck. She is worse than a clingy woman after sex! :D
clappclappclapp she'll fit in with the other 2 that sleep with me:D:D

sevristh
06-18-2009, 06:28 PM
clappclappclapp she'll fit in with the other 2 that sleep with me:D:D

You have two clingy women that sleep with you??? Can we see pictures?! :Dtoungeout

Heatherg
06-19-2009, 12:57 PM
I will see what I can do:D Sometimes there are a little shytoungeout