PDA

View Full Version : Broken Receivers

rcklmbr2586
06-16-2009, 11:14 AM
Anyone have one that stopped working, laying around the house collecting dust somewhere in a cornerconfusedd? If its not going to be used, would you be willing to give it away/sell it for pretty cheap? I know antennas and such can be reused, so i'm not askin about that...just the broken hardware part. Don't know what type of response I will get, but i thought i would try.
-Dan-

Saluqi
06-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Hi Dan,

I don't have any broken receivers, but you might check some of the coon hunting forums for good deals. I found this forum:

http://www.coondawgs.com/

It looks like it has lots of equipment classifieds.

rcklmbr2586
06-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the heads up! I will def check those out. I'm hoping I can find a broken one, and just fix it myself...that would def help this broke newly wed :). Are dog receivers commonly used with falconry birds? I hadn't ever lookin into them, cause i assumed they had poor range. The ones that say they go 12 miles that have the SMA connectors for yagis.....is that 12 miles standard and when you add the yagi it increases, or is that 12 miles with the yagi? Your peregrine looks great! Glad to hear that you didn't have any troubles on the climb (though to be honest...I was hoping it would be a scary climb/rap, so i would have an excuse to drive out there and help out!)

hawkstir
06-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Be sure to match the frequencies between receiver and transmitter. Dog tracking units are typically a different frequency then falconry transmitters.

wesleyc6
06-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the heads up! I will def check those out. I'm hoping I can find a broken one, and just fix it myself...that would def help this broke newly wed :). Are dog receivers commonly used with falconry birds? I hadn't ever lookin into them, cause i assumed they had poor range. The ones that say they go 12 miles that have the SMA connectors for yagis.....is that 12 miles standard and when you add the yagi it increases, or is that 12 miles with the yagi? Your peregrine looks great! Glad to hear that you didn't have any troubles on the climb (though to be honest...I was hoping it would be a scary climb/rap, so i would have an excuse to drive out there and help out!)

12 miles before yagi, around 20 after yagi.

GONEHAWKN
06-16-2009, 02:25 PM
i used a VR500 for a while. it is a hand held scanner. you can program in what ever frequency you want. i just found to be not very convenient to carry with me as it needs a yagi to be directional. dont know if you'll find one broke or not, but they do show up on Ebay sometimes in the $150.00 range i sold it to my Dad as he need'd some telemetry on the cheap and he loves it. i moved onto the Tracker Maxima which i just LOVE! and still have my MN-10 as a back up.......

rcklmbr2586
06-16-2009, 03:10 PM
ya, I was lookin at the tracker maxim....they have a refurb 5000/100 max complete for only $525 with a year warranty one their website...its a great deal, but I just don't have the coin sitting around for that (esp consdering i'm going to be flying a kestrel, and won't even use it this season). What kind of range do you get with yours, and do you know what it gets with a yagi?

GONEHAWKN
06-16-2009, 06:40 PM
i actually have that same Maxima. i bought from it from Tracker as a refurb and have been VERY pleased with it. as for range, with out the yagi on it, my MN-10 blows it away. without the yagi, and using a Marshall Scout transmitter i have gotten about 3 miles out of it. keep in mind i live in a typical suburban area. if you live somewhere more open, i am sure the range would be much better and obviously much better with the yagi attached to it. but, i will tell you this, to have that thing on my side has saved me alot walking back to the car. and that sucks bad when your about a mile or more from the car and cant find your bird and it's getting dark quick........a run in with a GHO a couple of seasons back was the tipping point for me. it took me 30 minutes to find my bird. i had to go back to the car to get my MN-10. all the while, as i now know, she was on the ground with this owl rolling around the entire time. the next day i bought the Maxima........

FredFogg
06-16-2009, 10:39 PM
ya, I was lookin at the tracker maxim....they have a refurb 5000/100 max complete for only $525 with a year warranty one their website...its a great deal, but I just don't have the coin sitting around for that (esp consdering i'm going to be flying a kestrel, and won't even use it this season). What kind of range do you get with yours, and do you know what it gets with a yagi?

I have a couple Maxima's I planned on selling this fall. They both cover all falconry frequencies and one has an SMA connector and the other doesn't. I bought a new one. I used the one without the SMA connector for 3 seasons with my coops and never lost her. I was going to list them on here and Ebay this fall as most folks aren't interested in buying this type of stuff until then. I was going to start the bidding on the one without the SMA connector at $400 and the one with at $500. If interested, let me know!

Oh yeah, I have a couple dog tracking collars too!

GONEHAWKN
06-17-2009, 04:55 AM
Fred do you have some specific details about he Maxima with SMA connector? my father, after seeing mine in action, is looking to get one of these some time before or right around hunting season......

GONEHAWKN
06-17-2009, 04:56 AM
never mind. just noticed that they both cover all frequencies......5000's i take it.......