PDA

View Full Version : Boulder County Mentors?

Yarak_Eric
06-24-2009, 03:32 PM
I'll be approaching my second apprenticeship year this fall and have recently moved to Nederland, CO. I've been in touch with Mario from the CHC but it seems we haven't had any luck locating anyone around the area. From what Mario informed me, CO has a period of 30 days to find a mentor/sponsor before stripping you of your licence and making you take the test all over again. I'm not really looking to shell out the cash to those greedy... nevermind.

So my plan for this year, if all goes well, is to trap and fly a kestrel of either sex. The bird population is limited here but I did find a spot on the outskirts of town right next to the reservoir where there are starlings daily. We'll have to hope they stay through the winter.

I flew a male redtail last year in South Dakota and can link any potential sponsor or anyone else to the thread that I created on the international boards at that time.

If there is anyone out there around Ned/Boulder/Longmount or a closeby surrounding area who preferably has Kestrel experience, or would be willing to help, please help make yourself known.

All assistance is much appreciated in advance!

Chad L.
06-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Eric,

Mario is a great resource to start with and you may want to ask him for the apprentice directors name as well ( I'm not sure if he wants his name on here). I am going into my second year as well and when i got started he was able to provide me with a list of all the Co. master facloners that I used to start contacting people to try and find my sponsor. I'm sure there is someone around that would be willing to take you on. I was surprised at how many falconers there are up here on the north end of Colorado.

Dirthawking
06-24-2009, 06:12 PM
Eric, I found you a sponsor. I guess my email did not go through! frus

Damn computers! Call me!

frootdog
06-24-2009, 07:01 PM

Damn computers! Call me!

Mario I have to say after talking to you on the phone I like the cash for sponsors idea.

Chad L.
06-24-2009, 07:15 PM

Damn computers! Call me!

See, I told you Mario was a good resource.:D

Lowachi
06-24-2009, 07:38 PM
Mario I have to say after talking to you on the phone I like the cash for sponsors idea.

Cash huh? now that might weed out the totally uncommitted :D then you can offer a % back at the end of the successful apprenticeship:eek: ..or notconfusedd I always knew Mario was an enterprising soul, ...larcenous, but enterprising ;).

Yarak_Eric
06-25-2009, 11:45 AM
I don't know if the cash for mentor's thing was serious or not so I won't respond too seriously. It seems like falconry should be past on by people proud to share their passion. Of course you'll get a few flops, but when you get the right apprentice(s) who will honor the tradition and carry on the sport proudly, I would think it would be all worth it.

Anyway, Mario, thanks again. I called Don up last night and we chatted for a hour or so. He seems to be a great guy and is excited about a kestrel. He has experience in that dept. and was more excited about the prospect of me being able to come clean out his sparrow problem! I'm excited about building some live traps for the sparrows and hauling some back up the mountain here so if the winter isn't providing, at least I can.

Thanks everyone!

Dirthawking
06-25-2009, 02:47 PM
Eric, of course they were kidding about the cash thing! I am glad to hear that you and Don got to talk. Keep me informed. Like I said, He is a great guy with a wide knowledge base!