PDA

View Full Version : New To Forum

FloridaFalconer
05-31-2007, 05:13 PM
Hello everyone,

I am a first year apprentice from North Florida. I wasn't able to trap a bird in time last year, so I am waiting for September 15th (the first day of trapping season here in Florida) to try again.

I have been interested in falconry since the age of ten. I have always read everything I could get my hands on concerning falconry, from that time to the present.

I love alot of the old techniques and lore concerning falconry, but I try to be open to new things as well. My sponsor has a lot of views and techniques I have not seen nor heard of before, but thus far, every thing he has suggested has rung true. While I have no bird of my own as yet, I have seen the verity of his methods played out with his own birds.

I hope I can contribute some interesting and valuable bits of information along the way.

Thanks for your time,
Tom

`Chris L.
05-31-2007, 06:05 PM
Tom Great to have you on the forums. Who is your sponsor in Florida? I know its hard waiting another year to get a bird, I hope you trap one this year for sure [smilie=icon_thumright.gif].

Keep us posted o your progress and dont hesitate to comment or post your views. We always like to hear what others have to say.

Again, welcome and let us know if you need anything

Hello everyone,

I am a first year apprentice from North Florida. I wasn't able to trap a bird in time last year, so I am waiting for September 15th (the first day of trapping season here in Florida) to try again.

I have been interested in falconry since the age of ten. I have always read everything I could get my hands on concerning falconry, from that time to the present.

I love alot of the old techniques and lore concerning falconry, but I try to be open to new things as well. My sponsor has a lot of views and techniques I have not seen nor heard of before, but thus far, every thing he has suggested has rung true. While I have no bird of my own as yet, I have seen the verity of his methods played out with his own birds.

I hope I can contribute some interesting and valuable bits of information along the way.

Thanks for your time,
Tom

FloridaFalconer
05-31-2007, 06:09 PM
Chris,

Thanks for the warm reception, I'll definately keep everyone updated as things progress. Rudy Howell is my sponsor and he has been flying birds for over 40 years. He has a vast amount of knowledge and experience and I'm thankful that he agreed to sponsor me.

Thanks again,

Tom

Jimmy
05-31-2007, 06:16 PM
My sponsor has a lot of views and techniques I have not seen nor heard of before, but thus far, every thing he has suggested has rung true.

Can you give us some examples?
And welcome, Tom. Good to have you here. Good luck trapping this year.

FloridaFalconer
05-31-2007, 07:12 PM
[Can you give us some examples?

For example, he suggestes suede for bracelets and jesses, though he has no problem with other leathers. Many other people suggest the smooth side of the leather be toward the birds leg; obviously with suede there is no smooth side.

He introduced me to a different style of jump box than I have ever seen, and now I have one in my weathering. It is an "A-frame" design. He has kept everything up to Red-tails and Goshawks on it with no problems.

He also has strong views concerning imprints, and admits all of his best birds over the years have been imprints. I dare say the majority of falconers have a dimmer view of imprints.

These are just a few of the things I am learning along the way.

Had it not been for him, I may never have known the importance or value of "American Hawking" by H.J. Peeters. It is truly a marvelous book with much information on the Cooper's hawk. (Admittitedly not very useful info the the apprentice, but it will prove valuable at the general level.) It is hard to obtain online. I believe there is one copy on Amazon for around $200.00, but interlibrary loan is a great opportunity to read this great book. Sorry, a bit off topic.

Thanks for the well wishing for trapping season,

Tom

wesleyc6
05-31-2007, 07:50 PM
Glad to have you here. Rudy has a ton of experience and is a super nice guy. I think you did well with a sponsor. Did he get the perlin last year?

FloridaFalconer
05-31-2007, 08:05 PM
Glad to have you here. Rudy has a ton of experience and is a super nice guy. I think you did well with a sponsor. Did he get the perlin last year?

Thanks for the welcome Wesley,

He did get the Perlin and it was doing very well. Unfortunately, he knelt down to take it up from the lure when a Great Horned Owl snatched it from in front of him and both birds finally stopped about thirty feet away. The Perlin only made it through half of the next day though. Tons of internal injuries. I am amazed that the owl didn't hit Rudy. I believe he's going to trap a Merlin later in the year.

You're right, he is a great guy.

Thanks,
Tom

kimmerar
05-31-2007, 08:15 PM
Welcome Tom. I'm sorry your having to wait.

Are you going to fly a redtail for your first bird? Do you plan on trying a kestrel sometime? If your sponser flies merlins he should have some experience with kbirds. I flew a kbird last year (first year apprentice) and it was awesome. I just love flying her. I had experience watching my husband the year before fly a redtail so I had some watching under my belt and a good sponser with lots of experience with microbirds.

Again - Welcome

FloridaFalconer
05-31-2007, 08:21 PM
Thanks kimmerar,

I do plan on flying a Red-tail. Florida allows a choice between a Red-shouldered hawk and a Red-tail, but I believe the Red-tail is the better choice hands down.

My sponsor does have experience with Kestrels. I may fly a k-bird in the future, but I believe I will try to always keep a Red-tail when I advance to general. I have always had an interest in Cooper's Hawks, and I may try my hand at one in future years. As for k-birds, I want to be excellant at weight management before I even consider it; though I may when I have sufficient experience.

Thanks,
Tom

kimmerar
05-31-2007, 08:33 PM
Oh - I didn't know florida didn't allow kbirds. Sorry.

Kbirds are fun and alot different than red tails from what I've seen. I've watched my husband train 2 and yes we're married but our techniques are different in alot of ways. We are both very new at this. He said he learned a lot watching me with my bird this year. He just got a HH. It's dropping so many feathers right now.

I someday plan on flying a sharpie sometime. Got to get the kestrel fever gone first though. Careful - this sport is addictive. Thank for the forum or I'd be going crazy. My bird hasn't dropped a feather yet!!!!!

wesleyc6
06-01-2007, 08:57 AM
Tom,
You will have so much fun with Rudy I think. Please tell him that Wes Collins said hello. He has flown birds for a long time and lots of different kinds. He is the real deal from all accounts. I hate to hear that about the perlin. I know he had an awesome one years ago too!

Let us know if we can help in anyway,

FloridaFalconer
06-01-2007, 06:19 PM
Thanks Wesley,

I've had a lot of fun with him so far, and I forsee much more to come.

And thanks to everyone else, I really appreciate your friendliness.

Tom

Rampager98
06-01-2007, 10:16 PM
Welcome to the group!! What part of North Florida are you from.

Steve

FloridaFalconer
06-02-2007, 08:18 AM
Welcome to the group!! What part of North Florida are you from.

Steve

I live in Live Oak Florida.

Tom