PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Southern California

Catharsis
07-31-2009, 02:47 PM
Well, I'll keep this short.

I'm 22 yrs old, going to college at Cal Poly Pomona (Pomona, California). I did not become interested in falconry after reading Harry Potter (I have never read a single page of the series). Rather, it was a book that I read when I was 10 yrs old about a boy who left home to survive in the wild, and he had a peregrine falcon. Recently, a show I saw on TV got me interested in falconry.
I understand that keeping a bird of prey is not an owner-pet relationship.
I enjoy the outdoors, and I want to get into the sport of hunting.
I admit that I am influenced by things such as books and films, and I like to dabble here and there. However, once I set myself on a goal I am always 100% committed.

I have read the apprentice stickies. However, where should I start off looking for a mentor?

Catharsis
07-31-2009, 03:22 PM
btw how much money should I expect to spend on owning a falcon?
min - max ?

zx2run
07-31-2009, 03:31 PM
Hi Catharsis. Welcome to the forum!

Here is a great website that will answer a lot of your questions. It has tons and tons of useful information.
http://www.themodernapprentice.com/fundamentals.htm

Also contact your state club...they can help get you in contact with falconers.
http://www.calhawkingclub.org/

P.S.
Please sign each post with your real name. It helps to keep things friendly. You can do that by going to your user cp and editing your signature.

Hope this helps..

keithtsoar
07-31-2009, 03:31 PM
The costs come down to the mews to house the bird and equipment to safely maintain the bird. Scales, jesses , leashes etc. Gas $ spent driving to meet falconers and helping them beat brush while they hunt their birds. This will give you a good idea of what falconry is all about. And give you a chance to meet potential sponsors. Join one of the CA falconry clubs. and go to their meets. Welcome to NAFEX one thing we all do here is to sign all posts with real names, go to user cp and add your signature.

Catharsis
07-31-2009, 03:59 PM
I see, so as far as obtaining the falcon, cost will be near zero?

Thanks Jessica I'll def read those.
Oh yea I have been to the hawking website, but I couldn't figure out where the listed clubs are, nor was I able to find a club near me (los angeles).

Or am I kinda out of luck in this area?

-Daniel

zx2run
07-31-2009, 05:03 PM
If you go to the CA Hawking Club website it has the steps that you should take to get into falconry. The California Hawking Club has members throughout the entire state. I am sure that there are members close to you. Maybe someone on here from CA will chime in and give you more info.
http://www.calhawkingclub.org/app_info.htm

"4. After you've passed the falconry exam and joined the CHC, contact the CHC (http://www.calhawkingclub.org/officers.htm) and, after determining your dedication and motivation, you'll be given some potential sponsor contacts. Caution: This is after you've proven you're really serious about this, in other words, after you've passed the falconry exam and joined the club. It seems like a lot of work. Heck, it is a lot of work!......"

Catharsis
07-31-2009, 05:05 PM
wait, sponsor = mentor?

I thought a mentor was someone who trains you for 2 yrs and a sponsor is... I have no clue.. confusedd

ah, think I get it now. They're the same.

So the best way would be to pass the test first, then find a sponsor?

zx2run
07-31-2009, 05:11 PM
Every apprentice needs a sponsor. Sponsor=Mentor. Your sponsor is the person who will teach you about the sport of falconry.

Catharsis
07-31-2009, 05:12 PM
So the best way would be to pass the test first, then find a sponsor?(via CHC). I suppose that way they know I'm serious.
Anywhere that I can get those studying materials for free or purchase 2nd hand?

zx2run
07-31-2009, 05:29 PM
Before you take the test you should probably make sure that you really want to pursue the sport of falconry. It is a lifestyle that is a major commitment and it can be pretty expensive. You should definitely go on hunts with falconers to see the sport first hand. Definitely make plans to go the the annual field meet in CA (http://www.calhawkingclub.org/news.htm). Hopefully someone in CA on this forum can help get you in contact with local falconers so that you can go on a few hunts. Until then....read....read ...and then read some more. Also, contact the CA Department of Fish and Game and request a falconry information packet.

The modern apprentice website is a great source for studying. You can also use the search button on this forum and look up any questions you have. There are also free online practice falconry tests. Look on the apprentice discussion sub forum: http://www.nafex.net/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Also you will want to buy the California Hawking Club: Apprentice Study Guide. There are many other books that will help also.

WinsorWoods
07-31-2009, 05:31 PM
Hey Daniel,

Yes, sponsor and mentor are the same things. As far as the actual cost of the bird....

You mention Peregrine. As an apprentice you won't be allowed to have a peregrine (this could change soon more about that in a bit). There are only two birds that an apprentice in CA can have, A passage redtail, or an American Kestrel.

The legal aspects of falconry are a combination of State Laws and Federal Laws. The Federal Laws form what becomes the basis for the state laws. The states are allowed to be more restrictive, but not more lenient. Recently the Federal regulations were changed and, among other things, will provide for an apprentice to have a Passage Retail, American Kestrel, "or any other captive bred falconry bird." Each state is given a deadline to come into compliance with these new regulations. If I remember correctly the deadline for compliance is Jan 1, 2014, but I'm not totally positive on the date. So if CA comes into compliance before you are ready for your first bird, you could, theoretically, have a Peregrine for your first bird, as long as it was captive bred, and as long as your sponsor is ok with it.

Captive bred peregrines do cost money. I've seen them go from $800-$1500. Regardless, before you can get a Peregrine, you've got lots of other hurdles to tackle first.

I live in WA but I attended the West Coast Falconry Academy's "Apprentice Seminar." It was a weekend workshop and is put on by the current President of CHC, Jim Tigand. It's held in Marysville, CA and I think the next one is in October. If you do attend that seminar, you'll know by the end of the weekend if you want to proceed. Also, the staff there will bend over backwards to help find you a suitable sponsor if your're having trouble finding one yourself. They will have had a few days to get to know you and can then contact prospective sponsors and give them an informed report on who you are. The seminar isn't mandatory or required and most don't go that route but my wife and I found it very help and worth the money. You can get more info here http://www.westcoastfalconry.com/main/page_apprentice.html

If you're serious about falconry, the other thing to mention is that you should set your sights on next fall (2010) and not this fall. There just isn't enough time to take the test, make your mews, find a sponsor, and trap a bird with enough of the season left to train and hunt the bird. You can really enjoy the process by shooting for Fall 2010 and not feel rushed. (You'll still feel rushed anyway).

You might also think about getting some good falconry books. Everyone here has their own opinion of what those are but I've found "North American Falconry and Hunting Hawks" by Beebee and Webster and "The Redtailed Hawk" by Mcgranaghan to be very helpful. The CHC study guide is also a life saver when it comes to studying for the written exam. (If you think you might go that Apprentice seminar, you'll get a copy of the CHC study guide there so don't buy one before hand.)

Good luck,

Dan

Catharsis
07-31-2009, 05:37 PM
Yea I couldn't figure out where that meet is. Somewhere in Utah?'

-Yea I'm not interested in owning a Peregrine, I know they're an endangered species.

Another reason is that one of my life goals is to unravel the mystery of human and animal consciousness. I thought it would be better to be closer to a wild animal. Originally I wanted to own a Caracal (which can be trained to hunt birds), but those are illegal in California.

Do you guys think falcons are capable of thought / emotions? Anecdotes welcome.

sharptail
08-01-2009, 02:52 AM
Hi Daniel,
I just wanted to point out the the Peregrine is no longer endangered or even threatened here in north america, thanks mainly to the efforts of the falconry community here. Welcome to NAFEX!
All the Best,

Catharsis
08-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Thanks for all the warm welcomes! I haven't been on a friendly forum in a long time... :D

borderhawk
08-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Thanks for all the warm welcomes! I haven't been on a friendly forum in a long time... :D

And we try to keep it that way!!

You'll find anthropomorphism is a bit of a touchy subject among falconers, kinda like religion. You may not get the kind of conversation you're hoping for, as often times it leads to arguments about "petkeeping", which is an insult in the falconry community being as this is a "hunting" lifestyle. Some like to think of it as we are the hunting dogs for the hunter (the hawk), I like to think of it as a professional athlete/manager relationship..... the hawk is Rocky and the falconer is Adrian. One thing I think most can agree on is that these raptor are not "pack" animals. With the possible exception of Harris Hawks they have no interest in working as a team, they have to need to "be with you" or please you like a dog does. Training is completely based on making them believe that working with you is to their benefit. Like the hawk that follows the tractor in the feilds as it kicks up mice.

BTW - Welcome!!

raptrlvr
08-01-2009, 07:11 PM
There are a lot of falconers in the Orange county and Riverside county area. You go to CalPoly Pomona, so, you are very close to a lot of the hawking fields that are used by falconers from that area. I know that a lot of the falconers used to meet at the Starbucks just off the 15 freeway and Jurupa on the east side of the freeway. You might wait until the end of August and go there around 6 am on a Saturday or a Sunday and see if any of the guys are there. Talk to them and ask them if you can beat the brush for them. Most of them won't mind and you can check out the sport and see if it is for you.

FredFogg
08-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Do you guys think falcons are capable of thought / emotions?

Definately, they think I am going to fly, I am going to catch, I am going to eat! Yummm, all full, now I am going to go rest! LOL :D

Catharsis
08-01-2009, 10:05 PM
There are a lot of falconers in the Orange county and Riverside county area. You go to CalPoly Pomona, so, you are very close to a lot of the hawking fields that are used by falconers from that area. I know that a lot of the falconers used to meet at the Starbucks just off the 15 freeway and Jurupa on the east side of the freeway. You might wait until the end of August and go there around 6 am on a Saturday or a Sunday and see if any of the guys are there. Talk to them and ask them if you can beat the brush for them. Most of them won't mind and you can check out the sport and see if it is for you.

Wow. What's the best way to get in contact with these guys? I'd rather not test my luck by going to startbucks every weekend trying to spot falconers, lol.

WinsorWoods
08-01-2009, 11:15 PM
Wow. What's the best way to get in contact with these guys? I'd rather not test my luck by going to startbucks every weekend trying to spot falconers, lol.

When my wife and I decided that we wanted to definitely pursue falconry, I went to the website of my state's falconry association. In your case that would be the CHC. Not sure if the CHC has the same information, but I found email addresses for every member of the WFA executive board. I emailed them all and introduced us and, as luck would have it, the next meet was in two weeks. My wife and I went and met a bunch of people and falconers have been flooding into our lives since. Also, when I requested the falconry packet from our fish and game department, it came with a list of potential sponsors in our general area. One of those listed eventually became our sponsor. Once you make initial contact with one or two falconers, the rest will fall into place.

Dan

Dirthawking
08-01-2009, 11:22 PM
When my wife and I decided that we wanted to definitely pursue falconry, I went to the website of my state's falconry association. In your case that would be the CHC. Not sure if the CHC has the same information, but I found email addresses for every member of the WFA executive board. I emailed them all and introduced us and, as luck would have it, the next meet was in two weeks. My wife and I went and met a bunch of people and falconers have been flooding into our lives since. Also, when I requested the falconry packet from our fish and game department, it came with a list of potential sponsors in our general area. One of those listed eventually became our sponsor. Once you make initial contact with one or two falconers, the rest will fall into place.

Dan

Just to clarify, that would be California Hawking Club, Not to be confused with the Colorado Hawking Club. A search of CHC will probably bring up both.

WinsorWoods
08-01-2009, 11:23 PM
Just to clarify, that would be California Hawking Club, Not to be confused with the Colorado Hawking Club. A search of CHC will probably bring up both.

Good point. There are too many TLA's out there.

Dan

raptrlvr
08-01-2009, 11:34 PM
By the way, the guys at Starbucks used to be the board members of the CHC. Testing your luck at Starbucks might be your best bet. Usually there are 5 or 6 guys there and its pretty darn easy to spot them as they all have birds in the back of their vehicles and they sit around and have coffee for about 30 minutes before heading out to fly the birds. Not many people sitting in Starbucks at 6 am in the morning. If your interested in falconry you will do what ever it takes .

WinsorWoods
08-01-2009, 11:36 PM
If your interested in falconry you will do what ever it takes .

That about sums all this up pretty succinctly.

Dan

Catharsis
08-02-2009, 01:01 AM
but he said, "used to" meet there. How long ago was this? I hope they didn't change meeting location

were they members of nafex too?

FredFogg
08-02-2009, 01:04 AM
but he said, "used to" meet there. How long ago was this? I hope they didn't change meeting location

were they members of nafex too?

Go to the CHC website, email all the officers and ask them if they still meet there and if you can join them this fall and go out with them. The only way to find out is to ask!

Kaden Stenlund
08-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Maybe before you start doing things like looking for a sponsor you should do more research just make sure you really have the time the space and the money. Before I joined Nafex I did two weeks of studying and wrote a paper on the subject. But you did the right thing getting in touch with others you'll find them to be loads of help!
(welc)

Kaden Stenlund
08-02-2009, 09:36 AM

Dan

I'm glad it's been so smooth for you... from what you just described joining falconry in WA sounds easy in comparison to joining in Wyoming.... Wyoming doesn't have a website well actually it's a tourist web site not falconry... I've been able to contact one and falconer (that being Jeff) and they are not pouring in like you described hopefully that will come later... Dan has ignored me... I don't know if its on purpose or on accident so I won't judge him... But it has really been far from smooth and I'm hardly scratching the surface so Daniel I hope this gives you a glimpse of what to maybe expect... But I would expect it to be easier for you because California has around six hundred falconers while Wyoming has seventy... But you never really know... Good luck and don't give up!

WinsorWoods
08-02-2009, 11:53 AM
I'm glad it's been so smooth for you... from what you just described joining falconry in WA sounds easy in comparison to joining in Wyoming.... Wyoming doesn't have a website well actually it's a tourist web site not falconry... I've been able to contact one and falconer (that being Jeff) and they are not pouring in like you described hopefully that will come later... Dan has ignored me... I don't know if its on purpose or on accident so I won't judge him... But it has really been far from smooth and I'm hardly scratching the surface so Daniel I hope this gives you a glimpse of what to maybe expect... But I would expect it to be easier for you because California has around six hundred falconers while Wyoming has seventy... But you never really know... Good luck and don't give up!

I sure hope I'm not the "Dan" that is ignoring you. I'm a little confused about that with all the "Dan's" and "Daniel's" in this thread.

When I say falconers are pouring in, perhaps that's the wrong image. What I mean is that between going to the OR meet and the WA meet, I've made lots of contacts. People aren't showing up at my house because they're falconers. On the contrary, I've continued to make long drives and use up lots of weekend time just to meet a new falconer face to face. Back in May, I went on an 8 hour drive with my sponsor almost to the Canadian Border where he bought a captive bred baby Gos. We were only there for about an hour. Just enough time to see the set up, fill out paperwork and then hit the road again and come home. As it turned out, this new contact I made was on the WFA board and became pivotal in avoiding some delays that were popping up in my process.

I think driving to the meets and planning on staying the entire weekend would be the biggest help. Bring your best attitude, and some willingness to beat on bushes. Make sure to get numbers and then follow up with them periodically. I'm sure glad I did. The guy who ended up completing my inspection I had already met and talked to several times on the phone. I didn't get any special treatment, but I wouldn't want any special treatment anyways. I'm sure it helped though when he recognized my name on the form and made sure to schedule the inspection as soon as he was able to. I'm not sure that would have happened if I hadn't put out the effort to meet so many people. I was lucky it turned out that way but just recognize that the more people you can meet, the "luckier" you'll be. You're just making your own luck. Of course WA falconers are lucky that the WFA handles the facilities inspections and not a game warden.

I wouldn't have been able to do it this way if I hadn't found all those email addresses online. If your state doesn't have those then it's really hard. You can't contact people if you don't know who they are. Every state is different and you just have to adapt to what you're given. When I first got my falconry packet from WA, I didn't know anyone. There were just 3 names listed for "potential sponsors in my area." Like I said previously, one of them ended up becoming my sponsor. There were no phone numbers listed so I wrote out letters and snail mailed them. I got two calls back. One person couldn't be a sponsor due to schedules, and one wanted to get to know me a bit more. ;)

After driving several hours a few times to go beat bushes and getting to know me and my wife, we finally got a sponsor and could continue the rest of the journey.

So perhaps I oversimplified how much effort we put in just making falconry contacts. I just hope Daniel recognizes that it's well worth the effort and will return much more down the road.

Kaden, I feel for you that you've had such a difficult time in WY. From what I've heard, it's a great state to practice falconry, but it's also the least populated state (homo sapiens wise). That'll make it harder to meet other people, let alone falconers. For us, things fell into place but I think that was more an accident. When we returned from attending the apprentice seminar in CA, the OR meet was the next weekend and the WA meet was the weekend after that. It was a whirlwind month for sure and we met lots of people but we weren't home very much and spent lots of money on gas and hotels and doggie boarding ;)

Dan

tyler1998
08-02-2009, 12:17 PM

Most falconers don't hunt during the summer because their birds are molting in new feathers. The molt usually ends about this time of year, and so the guys that used to meet for coffee last season will probably start up again by the end of this month, because that's when their birds will be ready to hunt again.

Again, welcome to the sport and website.

raptrlvr
08-02-2009, 01:08 PM
I am sure those same guys will be at Starbucks again this season. Most of them live in Orange county , but, the best hawking available to them is near this Starbucks. I spent years in California and the falconers always came out towards my house to do their flying on the weekends. I lived not far from this Starbucks. I don't want to leave anyone out, so, I better throw in that several women falconers also show up at Starbucks during the hawking season. If you don't find them at Starbucks, drive around on some of the streets and look out into the open fields. You'll probably see them there.

borderhawk
08-02-2009, 01:47 PM
If you don't find them at Starbucks, drive around on some of the streets and look out into the open fields. You'll probably see them there.

And even before you see them, you'll probably see a whole bunch of trucks and suv's with falconry stickers all parked in a row by the field.

Catharsis
08-02-2009, 06:21 PM
k i'll definitely try looking for these guys. What would be more helpful though is if someone could point out other hawkers from Southern California on these boards and I'll try contacting them

meanwhile, this seems like the best bundle of reading materials to get:
http://www.westernsporting.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1111&Product_Code=FB4012

FredFogg
08-02-2009, 07:37 PM

Kaden, you are digging yourself a huge hole that you will never get out of if you keep it up! Tread lightly young man!

Catharsis
08-02-2009, 07:41 PM
I've also read just about everything on the modern apprentice website.
Are there other good online articles to read?

raptrlvr
08-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Your going to find out that you have to do a lot of the leg work in falconry. You can't expect someone else to find these falconers for you. Getting out to Starbucks will show these falconers that you are serious about falconry and it might help you find a sponsor. I am sure they will be there near the end of this month. Some with new birds might even be there now. Then keep searching for info on the falconry web sites that you know of.

Catharsis
08-02-2009, 09:34 PM
What seems like the 2nd biggest issue now is where I'm going to house the bird. Originally I thought in the garage, I don't know if that will be fine. I have a bathroom downstairs which has a door that leads to the outside, this could be used as a double door.
However, the house doesn't belong to me and I will have to ask the landlord for permission...

It's just that I have a lot of time on my hands these days.
I could always get a permit first and then get a bird several years down the road.
What's the renewal process like?

WinsorWoods
08-02-2009, 10:07 PM
What seems like the 2nd biggest issue now is where I'm going to house the bird. Originally I thought in the garage, I don't know if that will be fine. I have a bathroom downstairs which has a door that leads to the outside, this could be used as a double door.
However, the house doesn't belong to me and I will have to ask the landlord for permission...

There are plenty of people who are renters that are able to practice falconry. Isaac (Takasho here at Nafex) even lives in an apartment and is a very accomplished and experienced falconer. Perhaps the most workable solution would be to consider the American Kestrel for your first bird. When I first got excited about falconry I wanted a nice big redtail on my fist. Most people do. After learning about Kestrels and reading some great accounts here at Nafex about Dulceana, The Project, Ariel, Fizgig, etc. I must say I'm more excited about Kestrel Hawking that I initially was about redtail hawking. It's a smaller bird which has it's own set of benefits, challenges, and caveats. For you, the biggest benefit will be not having to invest lots of resources into a big mews that your landlord may or may not allow you to have. Some lease agreements state that any fixtures you install or build into the premesis become property of the landlord if you move out so your landlord could agree to let you build something but you might legally lose it when you move out. Retrofitting a house may also require building permits etc. as well.

My sponsor let me make my own choice but he's really happy that I decided to go with a Kestrel. He thinks I'll learn much more. Building a mews wasn't really the issue for me, it was proximity to redtail game versus Kestrel game. You won't have that issue in S. Cal. I live in timberland and plan to go the accipiter route after apprenticeship so I'll have larger birds in my future.

If you're still set on a larger bird, you could always make your mews so you can dis-assemble them for moving (see plans in "Falconry Equipment - A guide to making and using falconry gear" by Bryan Kimsey and Jim Hodge) but I've built enough sheds, coops, lofts, etc that when I build something, I don't want to have to take it apart.

It all boils down to decisions you have to make for yourself but don't trap yourself into thinking that you have to start with a larger bird. The most exciting posts I've read were about K-birds.

It's just that I have a lot of time on my hands these days.
I could always get a permit first and then get a bird several years down the road.
What's the renewal process like?

In order to get your permit, you need to find a sponsor, take the test, construct facilities, obtain equipment, and have the facilities and equipment inspected, and pay your fee. After doing all that, you won't want to wait for a bird, and I don't know of any sponsors who would sign on for you to get your permit but not a bird. Most would tell you to come back when you're ready. There's also the issue of the required two years of apprenticeship which isn't measured from the day you get your permit. It's measured in the time that you are actually caring for a bird. I think the time you've got on your hands right now could be better utilized by reading books and meeting falconers. Just my opinion though.

Dan

Catharsis
08-02-2009, 11:31 PM
After passing a test how long do I have to get everything ready to obtain a permit?

Catharsis
08-02-2009, 11:56 PM
I think I meant just going so far as to take the test only if things don't work out. Even if I don't get a bird I'll just keep studying / apprenticing until I know everything there is to know and be ready when the time comes.

Dirthawking
08-03-2009, 12:14 AM
I think I meant just going so far as to take the test only if things don't work out. Even if I don't get a bird I'll just keep studying / apprenticing until I know everything there is to know and be ready when the time comes.

Listen closely....

NOBODY KNOWS EVERYTHING THERE IS TO KNOW!!!

You will be continually learning. If you don't think that is true, then you are only fooling yourself

Catharsis
08-03-2009, 12:18 AM
Of course, life is about constant change and learning.

I just meant being generally well prepared by watching other falconers.

borderhawk
08-03-2009, 01:46 AM
Here's what I think you should do....
Go hawking this Fall and Winter with other falconers. Sit with them and "listen", only asking occasional questions. A whole hunting season of hawking and listening will surprise you with all the things you will learn that cannot be answered by way of a thread like this one. Buy a book a month and read it. By the time the season is winding down, around April, you should know enough to pass the test and you should have gotten to know enough local falconers to have gained a sponsor. By then you should also have a good idea of what this is really about, if and how you can fit your life around it, etc... (If not, keep hawking and hanging out with falconers every year until you are ready.) Get your mews built and inspected by the end of June. Do this and you should have your permits and be ready to trap by the time the migration brings a good choice of birds through to trap and choose from.
This is your BEST approach.

Does this help?

Catharsis
08-03-2009, 02:02 AM
huhu, yea. Thanks. Sounds like a plan. Was what I had in mind.

Still gotta find those elusive falconers though. confusedd

pioneersnt
08-03-2009, 03:17 AM
Still gotta find those elusive falconers though. confusedd

Follow Jim's (Raptrlvr) advice, you'll meet good people and have a great time. The Starbucks crew is a great group of people who are friendly and welcome bush beaters. Make sure to learn some field etiquette (sp?) and ask questions. I didn't make it out last season, but went out a few times the year before. It's a blast watching a group of harris' patrol the fields and slay bunnies.

(Starting in late august) Get to Starbucks early, have a cup of coffee, watch for the trucks with falconry stickers in the window, then introduce yourself. As Jim said, there aren't too many customers at 5:30-6:00 on a saturday morning.

(welc)

Catharsis
08-03-2009, 06:29 AM
"Hello"
"Who are you?"
"They call me the Bush-Beater"
crazyy
I think I will need a better entrance...

BTW have humans, pet dogs / cats ever been attacked accidently / intentionally by falcons?

I'm kinda paranoid about a falcon wooshing by me at 100mph+ and accidently slitting my throat, after seeing the size of the claws on an Eagle in a picture somewhere..

found it:
http://everydayandeverynight.com/files/images/dave_bonta-golden-eagle.preview.jpg

wtf...

borderhawk
08-03-2009, 10:05 AM
LOL! That's a Golden Eagle! And their feet and talons are bigger than Bald Eagles :eek:. I've assisted with an Edu. program that had a female of each both on a fist about 8 feet away from each other so you could tell the difference very well.

I've seen a Harris Hawk vs. Yorkie rodeo, that was entertaining. It's never wise to fly too close to peoples back yards, but sometimes things take you that direction. It's rare for a human to get attacked. I've heard of shortwings (coopers, gos's) hitting/grabbing if imprinted without enough socialization, but knowledge of how to imprint properly to avoid that is getting better so the occurances are less. It has happened on rare occation that a Redtailed that's gotten comfortable enough with it's falconer has shown aggression to them, but it's usually over a kill they already caught or in the mews (I'm not talking about footing the hand that reaches in, that's natural, I'm talking about face grabbing type aggression). Never heard of a falcon hitting a human unless its a wild parent protecting it's nest.
Actually, I take that back, I think I may have heard of a falcon that didn't like certain colored hats that would knock them off of people, or something like that..... but still, it's too rare to be concerned about. I'd say 99% of the raptors flown by falconers are safe to humans, and a good 20% of those may not be safe around dogs or cats.

BTW have humans, pet dogs / cats ever been attacked accidently / intentionally by falcons?

I'm kinda paranoid about a falcon wooshing by me at 100mph+ and accidently slitting my throat, after seeing the size of the claws on an Eagle in a picture somewhere..

found it:
http://everydayandeverynight.com/files/images/dave_bonta-golden-eagle.preview.jpg

wtf...

pioneersnt
08-03-2009, 11:32 AM
"Hello"
"Who are you?"
crazyy

Hello, I'm Edd. Just a lowly pre-apprentice from southern California waiting on the feds to finish my license and anxiously awaiting trapping season.

I don't understand "I think I will need a better entrance..."
NO-ONE will come to you. It is up to you to go out of your way to prove you are serious before anyone will consider sponsoring you.
Good luck.

Catharsis
08-03-2009, 01:05 PM
I know was just joking... confusedd

Anyway, what about other falcons? Do falconers sometimes have their birds in the air at the same time? How do they keep their falcons from conflict with other falcons?

frootdog
08-04-2009, 04:13 AM
It's rare for a human to get attacked. I've heard of shortwings (coopers, gos's) hitting/grabbing if imprinted without enough socialization, but knowledge of how to imprint properly to avoid that is getting better so the occurances are less..

Hey now! Is that some kind of shot at me? It YOUR fault you dangled that lure looking thing from your ass! and it was dark! toungeout

frootdog
08-04-2009, 04:14 AM
"Hello"
"Who are you?"
crazyy

I think not. That will do just fine in falconer land.

frootdog
08-04-2009, 04:19 AM
Maybe before you start doing things like looking for a sponsor you should do more research just make sure you really have the time the space and the money. Before I joined Nafex I did two weeks of studying and wrote a paper on the subject.

And let me refer you back to your first post a mear 3 months ago..... as Fred said you need to check your ego at the door. You asked these same novice questions just 3 months ago. And to come on here and throw another member under the bus is just flat out uncalled for. Dan has done nothing but help out others on this forum.

http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?t=4863

Catharsis
08-04-2009, 01:52 PM
And let me refer you back to your first post a mear 3 months ago..... as Fred said you need to check your ego at the door. You asked these same novice questions just 3 months ago. And to come on here and throw another member under the bus is just flat out uncalled for. Dan has done nothing but help out others on this forum.

http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?t=4863

... confusedd

Eragon
08-04-2009, 01:55 PM
That was to Kaden, not you Daniel. It looks like he deleted his post.

WinsorWoods
08-04-2009, 02:06 PM
That was to Kaden, not you Daniel. It looks like he deleted his post.

It's still there. http://www.nafex.net/showpost.php?p=92167&postcount=26

borderhawk
08-04-2009, 06:03 PM
Hey now! Is that some kind of shot at me? It YOUR fault you dangled that lure looking thing from your ass! and it was dark! toungeout

She didn't get enough exposure to dangly/sparkly things as she was developing. Just like how you didn't show her your toes often enough!

Eagle Owl
08-04-2009, 09:36 PM
She didn't get enough exposure to dangly/sparkly things as she was developing. Just like how you didn't show her your toes often enough!

No, she was OVER exposed to toes when she was a baby!crazyy

frootdog
08-04-2009, 10:18 PM

I think it's story time.

frootdog
08-04-2009, 10:20 PM
... confusedd

Not directed at you. I quoted a post Kaden made that the mods may have deleted, but they left the quote in my response to him. Basically he asked the same beginner questions he's jumping on you for making and I was mearly pointing that out to him. We all have to start off somewhere by asking someone questions.

Eagle Owl
08-04-2009, 10:34 PM
I think it's story time.

So tell the story!:D

Catharsis
08-29-2009, 01:28 PM
Anyone have the contact info of these guys that meet up at starbucks? I went there twice with no luck (but I've heard from the storeworkers that they do in fact meet there). I can't keep driving back there because it costs a lot of gas.

Don't know what to do now. Wish I could find some falconers in LA so I could observe the sport.

Dirthawking
08-29-2009, 03:04 PM
Anyone have the contact info of these guys that meet up at starbucks? I went there twice with no luck (but I've heard from the storeworkers that they do in fact meet there). I can't keep driving back there because it costs a lot of gas.

Don't know what to do now. Wish I could find some falconers in LA so I could observe the sport.

Here is a tip, try waiting until hunting season actually starts!

WinsorWoods
08-29-2009, 03:19 PM
Here is a tip, try waiting until hunting season actually starts!

When does the CA falconry season start? Falconry season in WA started on August 1st. Are Jacks considered a pest in CA, ie no closed season? Just curious.

Catharsis
08-29-2009, 10:24 PM
Well someone told me to check in late august. and guess what time it is? It's late august.
The people working at starbucks said they're usually there, but whenever I go they aren't. frus)confusedd

frootdog
08-30-2009, 02:35 AM
Well someone told me to check in late august. and guess what time it is? It's late august.
The people working at starbucks said they're usually there, but whenever I go they aren't. frus)confusedd

but have they been there LATELY (IE this year yet?)

Lowachi
08-30-2009, 09:43 AM
but have they been there LATELY (IE this year yet?)

Maybe he just likes the coffee....toungeout. and he wants one of those megabuck stainless togo cups ??!:D.
Just ask the college help at starbucks to tell you where the big hand on the clock was and the little hand too--they can't make change and they can't tell time:eek::D.

EricADugan
08-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Daniel,
We are not flying yet this season. Its getting close and should be in the next couple of weeks. I live in Upland which is really close to the school. We usually meet at 6 am on Saturday and Sunday and go out in several different directions to fly Harris's, a falcon or 2, and a RT or 2. Give it a couple more weeks and try again. We are meeting at the Starbucks off of Limonite not Jurupa.

Hope this helps.
Eric

Catharsis
08-31-2009, 01:36 AM
Daniel,
We are not flying yet this season. Its getting close and should be in the next couple of weeks. I live in Upland which is really close to the school. We usually meet at 6 am on Saturday and Sunday and go out in several different directions to fly Harris's, a falcon or 2, and a RT or 2. Give it a couple more weeks and try again. We are meeting at the Starbucks off of Limonite not Jurupa.

Hope this helps.
Eric

yea, that helps a lot, lol. Thanks!

raptrlvr
08-31-2009, 09:55 PM
I got some pictures today of Ron Brown's new Harris from the Coulson's, so, I know the falconers were out this last weekend. He said the female HH caught a cottontail on its second flight off the glove. Now is the time to start checking at Starbucks for the falconers. Last year they were meeting at the Starbucks on Jurupa, but, I guess this year they have moved to the one on Limeonite.

EricADugan
08-31-2009, 10:34 PM
Jim,
That was a solo flight in an area away from where we meet. I would still give it a couple more weeks. We are not meeting there yet.
Eric

Catharsis
09-24-2009, 07:34 PM
Hey eric check your pm.
When are you guys meeting?