PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Rochester NY

Joe
08-03-2009, 07:36 PM
Hello, name is Joe as you could probably tell from the nickname. I live in Rochester NY with my wife and 2 kids. I am 38 and a veteran of Desert Storm, Bosnia & Somalia. I got out of the Navy after 8 years. I was a weapons technician in the navy.

I grew up near Binghamton NY. I lived with my grandparents they were employed by IBM and we got one of the new Personal Computers in 1982. I have been a computer geek ever since. Been building and repairing them since the early 80's back when computer shopper was only 50 pages or so. I got into the internet around 1994 while I was in the navy. Had several websites, back in those days they all resembled Myspace where everyone threw every gaudy sparlky animated gif at you in hopes of wowing your socks off.

I still make websites although they tend to be more personal ones. I am currently a freelance graphic designer and work from home while going to the Art Institute of Pittsburgh for Bachelors in Graphic Design. I have a couple of degrees but nothing that I can get paid for unfortunately.

I used to hunt all the time small game, deer with bow and rifle. I still have my small game license current.
I have always loved falconry; but until recently I was not quite sure how to go about getting into it. I mean I go to the renaissance faire in Sterling NY every couple of years and loved watching the shows but never could make the connection on how to get involved. When I went up to talk to the falconer, every time he remained in character and told me to go ask my lord or something frus.

I blog alot and do a ton of reviews for Amazon.com. For all that they give me stuff every month to test and review. Its an easy gig but sometimes I write about potato chips sometimes video cameras. It turns out that in May I was give an option of some different books to pick and I saw one "Falconer on the Edge (http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fs%3Fie%3DUT F8%26x%3D13%26ref%255F%3Dnb%255Fss%255Fgw%26y%3D14 %26field-keywords%3DFalconer%20on%20the%20Edge%26url%3Dsear ch-alias%253Daps&tag=falconrytoday-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957)". So I grabbed it. It was a pre-release copy with some grammar issues, overall it was a fantastic book. At the end she explains how to go about becoming a falconer.

I have joined a couple of forums and even made my own. I have read about 8 books since May and have been officially bitten by the bug. My wife is really excited too, she helped me lay out the Mews & Weathering area in our back yard last night.
Here is the rough sketch:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2436/3786230745_cb6fd0d863_o.jpg

So I am NOT building that right now. Instead I just took a rough sketch and drew it to scale so we could have an idea what is where and so on. We had planned on building a basement bathroom this year and started buying materials when our GE washer exploded and flooded our basement. We decided to not build it and instead have the wood just sitting in the garage taking up space. After I find a sponsor we can discuss building the thing and where to put it.

Thats a little about me, maybe too much crazyy.

Thanks for reading all that

- Joe

Joe
08-03-2009, 07:48 PM
I forgot to mention that ever since I thought of falconry I wanted to get a red tailed hawk. I figured since they are large that they would be something I would have to work into later on in the sport. I was kind of tickled to see that we HAVE to get a RTH or a kestrel. Not interested at all in the Kestrel I know they are great birds, but I am a rabbit/squirrel hunter.

And I do have my packet from the NYSDEC with the study guide and the "do not call" list sorryy. Just kidding. Anyway so I am just gonna study and hope there may be another test this year so I can try for one next fall. At least thats my timeline it may change as the situation changes.

- Joe

WinsorWoods
08-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Hey Joe,

Nice job on the introduction! I grew up in a military family but never worked in the military myself. I ended up spending 7 years in law enforcement before an on duty injury forced a medical retirement.

I like your mews design. When you actually go to build it, make it as large as possible. My sponsor advised especially making the weathering area large enough to handle 7-10 birds. I was surprised at this and never dreamed that I'd ever have that many birds, but he explained that currently a Master Falconer can have 3 birds, When the new laws go into effect it'll up that 5 birds for a master and 3 for a general. Anyways, with my wife and I into this at the same time (not that we'll have 10 birds) it's nice to be able to rotate the birds throughout the weathering area. It also makes it easier for other falconers to visit you if there's a nice place to tether up their birds too. All of those made sense to me but I don't know how much space you have or how much you're able to spend on materials etc. Suffice it to say that go with the largest mews and weathering area you can afford.

I checked out "Falconer on the Edge" from the library. I was sucked in by the intro and was all choked up at one point. Then she lost me in about the 4th or 5th chapter. All the emotion and passion she wrote with seemed to have been left behind in the intro. Anyways, I found my thoughts drifting off and never did finish it. I'd be interested to hear what other people think of that book but I don't want to hijack your thread here ;)

I think you're off to a good start. Falconry season just started here in WA on Aug 1st so I'm sure NY isn't too far away if it hasn't started already. Get out there and meet some of your local falconers and beat some bushes! Take pictures and let us know how things are progressing.

Dan

Joe
08-03-2009, 08:30 PM
Thank you Dan!

I appreciate the warm welcome. Yes I really loved her writing style in Falconer on the Edge. If I had ever thought of doing it, her no nonsense no holds barred sort of writing drew me in. By the end I had a good idea what would be expected of me and therefore got me started on the book eating.

As far as the mews/ weathering area. I only have 1/4 acre in the back yard so I can make the weathering area wider, but probably not more than 15 feet or so. The plans I made were from the book Red Tailed Hawk by McGranaghan (http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fs%3Fie%3DUT F8%26x%3D13%26ref%255F%3Dnb%255Fss%255Fgw%26y%3D14 %26field-keywords%3DThe%20Red%20Tailed%20Hawk%20by%20Liam%2 0McGranaghan%26url%3Dsearch-alias%253Daps&tag=falconrytoday-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957). I just copied his plans and adapted them to bump up to my garage space. If the weathering area didnt have to be enclosed I would have alot more space. Like I said its all just roughed in and not very set in stone. I do appreciate the input BEFORE I get building :). Right now all it is is a line on a computer screen, easy peasy to move around.

Its starting soon here in NY and I was hoping to find someone to go out with before its over at least to help out where I can (dog)

- Joe

WinsorWoods
08-03-2009, 09:48 PM
That was the first book I read on falconry (Mcgranaghan's). GTMA I guess. ;)

Joe
08-03-2009, 09:53 PM
sorry for the ignorance but whats GTMA?

jdiveley
08-03-2009, 09:55 PM
sorry for the ignorance but whats GTMA?

I think that is supposed to be GMTA. Great Minds Think Alike. But I could most certainly be wrong. :)

WinsorWoods
08-03-2009, 10:01 PM
I think that is supposed to be GMTA. Great Minds Think Alike. But I could most certainly be wrong. :)
Yeah that's what I meant! Sorry! Sometimes my fingers are a bit Lysdecsic.

everetkhorton
08-03-2009, 10:05 PM
(welc) to NAFEX Joe. Looks like you have some real good plan's. Enjoy and post often.

Joe
08-03-2009, 10:35 PM
Thanks Everet! I will do just that :)

skooky20
08-04-2009, 07:41 AM
hi Joe,

my name is chris gould and i live in adams center new york thought i would let you know that the next falconry test is at the falconry meet in november and that is in cobleskill. also there are alot of good falconers in your area just give some a call. one that sticks out the most is AL Jordan i do not think he has any apprentices right know if i remember correctly and he is a super guy. O one last thing you are in for the ride of your live.

Joe
08-04-2009, 09:04 AM
Great Skooky!

I was thinking we could go to that, only issue is my wife is starting a new job around then and its almost to Albany. Plans are now that we are tentatively going to the event in Cobleskill.

Thanks for the heads up.

- Joe