PDA

View Full Version : New here

stangs13
06-13-2007, 07:56 PM
Hey all!

I am 14 years old and living in Friendswood, Texas. I am a snake person who has a intrest in becomeing a falconer. The admin of the site is on a ball python forum I visit, and I have decided to join.

Does anyone know of a sponser in the South Houston Texas area? i would like to become an aprentice(sp).

Thanks [smilie=banana.gif]

`Chris L.
06-14-2007, 05:47 PM
Stang,
Welcome to the site. Glad you made it over. It is going to be hard to find a sponsor. You habve to get to know some local falconers. You have a great falconry club in texas, one of the best in my opionion!!!

http://www.nafex.net/viewtopic.php?t=573 that is a link to a falconry picnic they are having that you may want to attend to make some contacts.

It is a long journey to become a falconer but it is well worth it. Good luck and keep us posted

oh yeah, on this site we sign all of our posts with our real names. Take a look at this thread. http://www.nafex.net/viewtopic.php?t=160

again good luck and welcome

outhawkn
06-15-2007, 08:43 AM
Hi. Welcome to the forum.

http://www.n-a-f-a.org/

stangs13
06-15-2007, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the welcomes! I will check all the links out.I had a signature with my name on it, I guess it didn't go through. No problem, and I agree about the names.

-Justin

outhawkn
06-15-2007, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the welcomes! I will check all the links out.I had a signature with my name on it, I guess it didn't go through. No problem, and I agree about the names.

-Justin

Justin, if you have any tech problems with the site. Just ask Chris L. to help you figure it out. He doesnt have anything else to do all day! [smilie=smileys13.gif] [smilie=bs.gif]

everetkhorton
06-15-2007, 11:48 AM
Justin:
If you can make it you should try and make it to the NAFA meet in Alamosa CO. There is lot to see and do at the meet. You have to be a member to attend. I know some people will not agree but NAFA is a well worth belong to IMO. Have fun and enjoy the sport, it is a life long experiance.

`Chris L.
06-15-2007, 11:53 AM
Justin, if you have any tech problems with the site. Just ask Chris L. to help you figure it out. He doesnt have anything else to do all day! [smilie=smileys13.gif] [smilie=bs.gif]

Bill,

LOL, man i wish I had more time. [smilie=BangHead.gif].. I know I will start forwarding all the tech emails to you [smilie=icon_pidu.gif]

stangs13
06-15-2007, 11:58 AM
Thanks!! I will deffanatly look into it all. I am planning on getting books on falconing and joining the THA and NAFA. I heard that RTs are good starter birds? Are there any breeders sites I could visit? I would like to know a full list of good starter birds to get some books on them. I have lots of housing questions too. I have talked to my dad about becoming a falconer with me. He seems intrested. Thanks for all!! [smilie=banana.gif]

`Chris L.
06-15-2007, 06:49 PM
Thanks!! I will deffanatly look into it all. I am planning on getting books on falconing and joining the THA and NAFA. I heard that RTs are good starter birds? Are there any breeders sites I could visit? I would like to know a full list of good starter birds to get some books on them. I have lots of housing questions too. I have talked to my dad about becoming a falconer with me. He seems intrested. Thanks for all!! [smilie=banana.gif]

Justin,
As an apprentice you can fly red-tails and kestrels and red-shoulder hawks ( don't quote me on the red-shoulders..). Red-tails are what most apprentices fly some do fly kestrels with great success, but they take a bit more skill and management.

Are you asking about Red-tail breeders? You don't need to buy one you can trap a wild one. They are every where. Once you start to spot them you cant stop looking for them. I think I pay more attention to power poles and trees on the highway than the actual driving [smilie=icon_hang.gif]

BTW: thanks for signing your name to your posts... [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

kimmerar
06-15-2007, 09:57 PM
Hey Justin

Welcome. I too am an apprentice and just finished my first year. I flew a kestrel. They are alot different then a red tail (my husband flew redtails) and paying attention to detail is very important - I don't recommend trying it until your out of high school and have more time.

All states are different. In Arkansas we can't fly red shoulders as an apprentice. As an apprentice we have to trap our birds also. Transfering is not allowed either. The lady over the falconry (and all migratory birds)dept is a falconer and wants apprentices to trap. It's a blast and your sponser will help you with this.

I was recommended for my first book to get Apprentice Manual by the California Hawking Club. http://www.mikesfalconry.com/product.asp?specific=145 Study just that. If you read other books it might mess you up? That's what I was told and that's what I did. After I passed the test then I started reading anything I could. Some books will say different things and it might confuse you and get the answer wrong on the test. Read all of it - not just the answers- it will teach you alot. Now - if you've been studing for years then maybe you don't need it - there are also online test you can take to see how your doing.

If you have not had experience holding them them and working with them - I also recommend volunteering somewhere (a zoo or local rehabber) to get the practice. I never got that and if someone was close by I would jump on that opportunity. The closest place is at least 1 1/2hrs away.

Just my opinion and advice - and good luck - it's a blast.

`Chris L.
06-16-2007, 07:16 AM
What Kim said is spot on [smilie=icon_thumright.gif] ... Thank you for posting that

stangs13
06-16-2007, 12:59 PM
Thanks kim, and chris!! I will defanatly look into traping. I wasn't to sure if traping was a apprentice thing.I have seen red tails here, just have to find them now.Do big outside dog kennels work well for weathering and fresh air when not in there mews?

kimmerar
06-16-2007, 01:08 PM
No problem justin. Trapping is a falconry thing - not just for apprentices - that to me is part of the art of falconry. It was funny - me and my husband left to trap a kestrel. My husband had trapped RT before. My sponser couldn't meet up with us the first few times we left. It drove us crazy. We couldn't get a trap under a bird - saw lots of them. Met up with my sponser and we trapped one with the first throw. He taught us alot. That's what a sponswer is for. Just get your test passed. People you call to ask about sponsership will take you more seriously once you tell them you've passed the test. My sponser said over the years hes had many people contact him about flying kestrels - and I'm the first that actually went all the way - I'm not sure if it's like the everywhere and I wanted a sponser that flew micro birds. He wasn't real good about calling back until I told him I passed and then he was always there and answered. So again - pass your test and people will be alot more open. We have a few new apprentices in our club now all trapping RT and they joined our forum and was able to find a sponser.

stangs13
06-16-2007, 01:54 PM
Ok thanks!! Now I need to get a book, and take the test, and find a sponser. What all do I need to know before i take a test? Will the book recomended to me cover it? Sorry for all the questions.

kimmerar
06-16-2007, 04:01 PM
Yes - just get the book - it covers everything you need to know - and take the online test and when I made a 95 on it then I took the test and passed with a 90 - yes I know I could have and should have done better but I was soooo nervous I didn't sleep the night before. I read it over and over. Have someone randomly go through and ask you questions when you think your ready. Don't just give the answer - explain why - trust me - it helps. At first - I thought I knew it - wrong - I read it many more times after that.

There is forum by falcon boy (Noah) for apprentices that I just joined and there is lots of info there too (especially about kestrels and there just isn't much out there for those birds). Apprentice falconer.com - I think. I think he's got a link in his signature. (You have to have an activation code and for some reason it was sent to my junk mail and you have to have that. I would have joined a long time ago but I hadn't thought about checking my junk mail and there it was). This group here is mostly generals and masters and they are really friendly and great to learn stuff from but again - might mess up your testing - I was told the test was written 30 years ago so some stuff is outdated but it's what you have to know to pass. Noah's site is more what you need right now. I was lucky and already knew a few falconers. But again - I would just read part of it and wait till later to take in all that info.

I was just told that some states say you have to have a sponser to take the test so again - have to check state regs. Not sure how true that is. Hope you dad does it with you - you two can learn and plan with each other - and you'll each have a sponser so more knowledge. When it comes to kestrels it's kind of hard to find someone to talk to about it.

stangs13
06-16-2007, 05:32 PM
i will join!! I printed off the test manuel from our aprentice section, and read some of it, I learned alot just from that. Does mew size matter in diffrent states?

outhawkn
06-16-2007, 07:50 PM

Bill, I know I will start forwarding all the tech emails to you [smilie=icon_pidu.gif]

Chris, I just remembered, I'm going stand over here and keep my mouth shut! [smilie=smileys13.gif]

outhawkn
06-16-2007, 07:56 PM
No problem justin. Trapping is a falconry thing - not just for apprentices - that to me is part of the art of falconry. It was funny - me and my husband left to trap a kestrel. My husband had trapped RT before. My sponser couldn't meet up with us the first few times we left. It drove us crazy. We couldn't get a trap under a bird - saw lots of them. Met up with my sponser and we trapped one with the first throw. He taught us alot. That's what a sponswer is for. Just get your test passed. People you call to ask about sponsership will take you more seriously once you tell them you've passed the test. My sponser said over the years hes had many people contact him about flying kestrels - and I'm the first that actually went all the way - I'm not sure if it's like the everywhere and I wanted a sponser that flew micro birds. He wasn't real good about calling back until I told him I passed and then he was always there and answered. So again - pass your test and people will be alot more open. We have a few new apprentices in our club now all trapping RT and they joined our forum and was able to find a sponser.

Yep, people call and want to be a falconer, then you never hear from them again. Kim is right. Get your test over with and you can say you have done that and it will show you are serious.

Good posts Kim.

Falcon Boy
06-16-2007, 08:48 PM
Justin,
My site is http://www.apprenticefalconry.com
If you have an AOL email addy it won't send you an activation code, PM me for info if you have one.

All the best!
-noah

`Chris L.
06-16-2007, 09:00 PM
Chris, I just remembered, I'm going stand over here and keep my mouth shut! [smilie=smileys13.gif]

No way man... its a done deal now [smilie=banana.gif]

outhawkn
06-17-2007, 11:32 AM

No way man... its a done deal now [smilie=banana.gif]

But..but...but. I cant even spell technology! I mean takenogy,er teknologee er... [smilie=smileys13.gif] [smilie=dontknow.gif]

kimmerar
06-17-2007, 12:38 PM
You guys are funny - Bill are you ready........

stangs13
06-17-2007, 03:37 PM
Justin,
My site is http://www.apprenticefalconry.com
If you have an AOL email addy it won't send you an activation code, PM me for info if you have one.

All the best!
-noah

Thanks Noah! I joined, and am reading as much as I can. I am also going over the test too. Thanks!!