PDA

View Full Version : Found HH in Connecticut

Eagle Owl
08-28-2009, 03:20 PM
There is a rehabber in CT that has found a HH wearing a US GOV yellow flexible band and jesses. Anyone know someone that lost a HH in/near CT?

Hawkmom
08-28-2009, 08:25 PM
Brandi, I just phoned Daryl Perkins. He said the CT falconers picnic is this Sunday. Heck the bird could be from anywhere in New England. He will get the word out. I told him about NAFEX.net.

Eagle Owl
08-28-2009, 09:49 PM
Thanks, Kitty.

The bird is an adult and the rehabber said it was pretty thin. I sure hope someone claims the bird soon!!!!

robhawkyyz
08-28-2009, 10:23 PM
do bands not have numbers on them? and i'm sure they can become unledgible over time. a lost harris hawk in the north east is crazy and the freezing cold will be there soon. why there is no report of a lost hawk or someone not owning up to it boggles my mind!!

Dirthawking
08-28-2009, 10:28 PM
do bands not have numbers on them? and i'm sure they can become unledgible over time. a lost harris hawk in the north east is crazy and the freezing cold will be there soon. why there is no report of a lost hawk or someone not owning up to it boggles my mind!!

Rob, the bird was found this morning. May not have been noticed that it was missing right away. May have gotten loose this morning!

Eagle Owl
08-28-2009, 10:32 PM

Rob, the HH was rescued last night by a rehabber in CT. She called her regional USFWS office first thing this morning, but they do not have a record of the number.

I volunteered to post the lost hawk everywhere I could, in hopes to find the owner. Last time I helped a rehabber that found a lost falconry bird, the owner was reunited with the bird thanks to a member of NAFEX knowing who the bird belonged to. So hopefully that will happen again!

robhawkyyz
08-28-2009, 10:42 PM
so there was a number and no record of the number!? that is what is screwwed up!!! it could have came from canada or further north , do they band up there???

WinsorWoods
08-28-2009, 10:45 PM
She called her regional USFWS office first thing this morning, but they do not have a record of the number.

That doesn't sound good. I'm, of course, assuming that a HH in New England would be a captive bred but I suppose it could have been wild caught and then moved. Either way a USFW band that USFW doesn't have a record of sounds like something is really amiss. But maybe not...I know Gov't isn't the most organized place for keeping records straight. I know there are multiple people issued the same SSN's mistakenly.

Dan

Dirthawking
08-28-2009, 11:00 PM
I know there are multiple people issued the same SSN's mistakenly.

Dan

Actually, multiple people with the same social is more common than you think. There is only 999,999,999 different combinations if you started with 000,000,001. You can tell what state a person was issued a social from just by looking at the first 3 numbers. How many people are in the united states?

Eagle Owl
08-28-2009, 11:06 PM
so there was a number and no record of the number!? that is what is screwwed up!!! it could have came from canada or further north , do they band up there???

It is a USFWS band, so it had to have been bred in the US.

Eagle Owl
08-28-2009, 11:08 PM
That doesn't sound good. I'm, of course, assuming that a HH in New England would be a captive bred but I suppose it could have been wild caught and then moved. Either way a USFW band that USFW doesn't have a record of sounds like something is really amiss. But maybe not...I know Gov't isn't the most organized place for keeping records straight. I know there are multiple people issued the same SSN's mistakenly.

Dan

It is definitely a captive bred bird. But the bird could have been bred in another federal region, so the CT region will not have a record of the band. The federal regions don't share info like that...I found that out before!!!

robhawkyyz
08-29-2009, 01:39 AM
Rob, the bird was found this morning. May not have been noticed that it was missing right away. May have gotten loose this morning!

a leg band with a number that is readable and they can not figure it out. we can probably figure it out quicker than the feds and get it a safer home before they kill it!!

skooky20
08-29-2009, 07:52 AM
this may sound crazy but some one i know lost a harris hawk about 5 years ago, i have them checking to see what the band number was on the bird. if it is the same bird it will be one hell of a hunter.

Chris L.
08-29-2009, 08:10 AM
Hey Brandi,

Post the band number or PM it to me and I can check the bay wing data base. If the breeder entered it in the data base we can at least see who bred it and maybe find the original owner.

let me know

Eagle Owl
08-29-2009, 09:56 AM
Hey Brandi,

Post the band number or PM it to me and I can check the bay wing data base. If the breeder entered it in the data base we can at least see who bred it and maybe find the original owner.

let me know

I will try to get the band number from the rehabber and PM it to you. I don't want to post it as that is her only way of ensuring who the bird's rightful owner is.;)

Chris L.
08-29-2009, 09:57 AM
I will try to get the band number from the rehabber and PM it to you. I don't want to post it as that is her only way of ensuring who the bird's rightful owner is.;)

no prob,

let me know

WinsorWoods
08-29-2009, 01:59 PM
It is definitely a captive bred bird. But the bird could have been bred in another federal region, so the CT region will not have a record of the band. The federal regions don't share info like that...I found that out before!!!
dohh Our tax dollars but to great use.

Hawkmom
08-29-2009, 04:34 PM
Probably microchipping is the way to go in the future. The database is run by a private company.

Zarafia
08-29-2009, 04:55 PM
Hey Brandi,

let me know

Actually that's quite a good idea to try. Brandi, if you have the number you can check on Toby Bradshaw's site. He has excellent records of bloodlines of harris hawks. You just have to be patient enough to read through them all.
I know Jimmy has been meaning to add his birds to the database. I will be adding Caprica's pedigree and info to it shortly.
This thread is a good example of why it can be helpful to add your harris hawks' info to that database. I do think that microchips are a very good thing. But when your bird is already banded and if captive bred you know the parents I think it is a responsible thing to add your bird to the database.

Kenn Filkins
08-29-2009, 10:16 PM
Meridith,

I agree. My Harris Hawks are in the Bradshaw Dbase. My new female coming soon, will also be in the Dbase.

But I may still put chips in the three of them....

Something to consider....

Zarafia
08-29-2009, 10:46 PM
I think its sort of the same as having a registered dog who is also microchipped. Just good sense and being careful IMO.

Zarafia
08-29-2009, 10:49 PM
I should also add that hopefully this found bird has already been scanned for a microchip and doesn't have one, otherwise this thread would not have been necessary.

Hawkmom
08-30-2009, 07:44 AM
I've emailed the news to the local falconry clubs listed in the Hawk Chalk. Plus the URL to the forum.

Chris L.
08-31-2009, 09:28 AM
Thanks for your post Brandi, it seems NAFEX may have placed another lost hawk with its owner. The person who lost the HH in Ct contacted me because of Brandi's post on here

Brandi you have a PM

GONEHAWKN
08-31-2009, 03:10 PM
how about we get them on here and have them post their story!!!

Eagle Owl
08-31-2009, 03:17 PM
He is on here. I am waiting for conformation from the rehabber if this indeed this person's missing HH. I will let everyone know as soon as I do and will post the story then as well. :)

Eagle Owl
08-31-2009, 05:42 PM
I am happy to report that the HH will be reunited with her owner in about an hour!!!

The bird was lost about 2 weeks ago. The falconer was visiting his family in CT and he was driving down the road and had the bird in the GH in the back of his truck. He had the windows open so the bird could have fresh air. He heard a noise and pulled over to discover the hinges on the GH had come off and the bird had escaped. The bird was hog fat, so refused to come down to food. He followed her to a wooded area, but lost sight of her. He continued looking in the area for a week with no luck.

A few days ago, the bird flew into someone's large window around 1am and they called the rehabber. The bird seems to be in good shape and falconer is on his way to pick up his bird!

Thanks to everyone, especially Kitty, who helped me get the word out to other venues regarding the bird!!!

Chris L.
08-31-2009, 05:50 PM
That is great news.

Its good to know the lost and found section does work... thank you again guys for posting all the information that you did.

Hawkmom
08-31-2009, 09:52 PM
What a good feeling to help a bird be re-united with her falconer. Glad to help any time.

Ross
09-01-2009, 09:10 AM
Glad to hear they are reunited. I think it is sad commentary on the feds that they put so much emphasis on us banding and recording and then they can't keep track of it. I have called AU on banded racing homers from other fliers entering my loft several times and they always have been able to give me a name and number immediately. Can it really be that tough to do for the comparatively small number of hawks? I know of a similar case recently with a peregrine.

Eagle Owl
09-01-2009, 09:16 AM
Glad to hear they are reunited. I think it is sad commentary on the feds that they put so much emphasis on us banding and recording and then they can't keep track of it. I have called AU on banded racing homers from other fliers entering my loft several times and they always have been able to give me a name and number immediately. Can it really be that tough to do for the comparatively small number of hawks? I know of a similar case recently with a peregrine.

The problem is the federal regions don't communicate. The bird was bred in Illinois, so a different region from CT. What the rehabber would had to of done was contact each federal region to locate the breeder and then track down the current owner from there. That would not have been difficult in this case since this is a 1 year old bird with 1 owner, but what if it had been a bird that was 10 years old and had multiple owners.

That is the reason why forums like this are so important! It will only be more difficult to track birds when the feds are out of the picture. If the federal regions can't communicate, how will we get 49 states to communicate???

Lowachi
09-01-2009, 11:22 AM
need ta get a computer guy(or gal, must be PC always) and start putting together our own data base. Wouldn't that be niceamennn (and a women-PC always:D)

Eagle Owl
09-01-2009, 11:43 AM
need ta get a computer guy(or gal, must be PC always) and start putting together our own data base. Wouldn't that be niceamennn (and a women-PC always:D)

I would be more than willing to do a database, but the problem would be getting falconers to send in their information. That would be a mighty feat in itself!:D It would be much easier for each state to simply have a database. When a falconer turns in a 3-186, the band number and falconer go into the database. If there was then one federal office that would be the main place the states could send the data to, then we could have one place to contact when a bird was found. Of course this is all hypothetical as most states are not going to go through the extra trouble and there is NO WAY a federal office would volunteer to be the main holder of this info.

WinsorWoods
09-01-2009, 03:07 PM
I would be more than willing to do a database, but the problem would be getting falconers to send in their information. That would be a mighty feat in itself!:D It would be much easier for each state to simply have a database. When a falconer turns in a 3-186, the band number and falconer go into the database. If there was then one federal office that would be the main place the states could send the data to, then we could have one place to contact when a bird was found. Of course this is all hypothetical as most states are not going to go through the extra trouble and there is NO WAY a federal office would volunteer to be the main holder of this info.

Even if the USFW bands were encoded somehow with a region number, then you'd know which one to call. I know Nevada bands are prefixed with NV so that would take long to figure out.

Dan

Chris L.
09-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Here is a PM I received this morning I figured I woudl share with all who were involved with this

Chris,
Thanks very much for having such a wonderful website and the wonderful people who are your members/visitors. There is no doubt in my mind that your website and its members (especially Brandi and Kitty) were responsible for me being reunited with Miley, my female parabuteo. I sincerely appreciate all your help. Thanks again.

Thank you again Kitty and Brandi, great work. It really makes it all worth it when you get feedback like this.

Hawkmom
09-01-2009, 07:23 PM
I'm also willing to work on a database. I keep databases for all of my bird records. But, it would take LOTS of time and I expect to be paid for it. I'm thinking that USFWS would be able to outsource (contract) someone to keep the database. I strongly recommend using the program FileMakerPro. I currenly use an older version and find it excellent. Works for both Macs and PC's

FredFogg
09-01-2009, 07:30 PM
The feds are going to have to have a national database eventually when the states go to online 3-186A's. It won't be a state database, but a federal one that each state has access. So once all states have online filling of 3-186A's, who ever has access to that database should be able to look up any banded bird.

Personally, I could create a simple one very easily that would be easy to keep updated if I had access to the 3-186A database, but I doubt they would allow me to have access to it. I created a program to keep a log for each of my birds and it keeps the history of each bird in the database forever. A much smaller scale than a national one, but still the same principle.

WinsorWoods
09-01-2009, 10:27 PM
I'm also willing to work on a database. I keep databases for all of my bird records. But, it would take LOTS of time and I expect to be paid for it. I'm thinking that USFWS would be able to outsource (contract) someone to keep the database. I strongly recommend using the program FileMakerPro. I currenly use an older version and find it excellent. Works for both Macs and PC's

I'll commit one year of part time help to this cause. I've been thinking about seletively breeding chickens so I can reproduce the Cornish Cross Hybrid that is comparable to hatchery birds but I want this breeding program to be an open source breeding program. Basically the breeding analog to the Linux operating system. I don't think it's right for corporations to have the corner/patent/stranglehold on anything food related. (Sorry Personal opinions expressed here ;) )

I'll need database experience to keep the proper records and I'd volunteer time to this cause because it's so similar with respect to what I want to do.

Please PM me if you can use the hand.

Dan

Zarafia
09-01-2009, 10:30 PM
There is already a Harris Hawk Database. Set up by Terry Bradshaw. Chris can post a link here.

Chris L.
09-01-2009, 10:46 PM
Here is the link

http://home.comcast.net/~baywingdb/baywinghome.htm

the limiting factor with this and any data base is the falconer/breeder submitting the information.

Zarafia
09-01-2009, 10:54 PM
Agreed, but this is a very good database as far as what is available now. There is nothing more complete at this point and I think this database is extremely nice all things considered.
Thank you Chris.
After speaking with Gary I suspect his HH might already be in this database. He is certainly very familiar with the Coulsons' bloodlines. We need to have it right here at the ready, IMO.

Eagle Owl
09-02-2009, 12:45 AM
The problem with "us" keeping a database and not the feds is only "we" would have access to it. If a rehabber or Joe Blow found a banded bird, they would still have no way of finding the owner. Just like in this case.