PDA

View Full Version : New guy, Bob Payne

bobpayne
09-03-2009, 09:57 AM
I am new to this forum, I'm from Missouri, I am currently flying a Aplomando falcon, and have a Harris and peregrine in the mews molting. Was told about this site through Steve Matney

Bryant Tarr
09-03-2009, 10:12 AM
Welcome aboard! (welc)

jdiveley
09-03-2009, 10:48 AM
(welc) Welcome to NAFEX. I'm happy to see another Missourian here :)

Saluqi
09-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Hi Bob,

Welcome to NAFEX. I know you from the Huntinghawks group.

shooter69
09-03-2009, 11:45 AM
hello mate im new my self to the forum im from the uk

Lowachi
09-03-2009, 01:12 PM
Welcome aboard

bobpayne
09-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Thanks guys for the welcome,

Paul are you flyin a pointywing?

Saluqi
09-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Thanks guys for the welcome,

Paul are you flyin a pointywing?

Yeah, I pulled an eyass tiercel peregrine from an eyrie here in NM, I'm also flying my female gos, and I willl give my male gos the season off unless I need him.

FredFogg
09-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Hey Bob, (welc) to NAFEX! Lots of great folks on here and lots of very interesting subjects, some you will agree with and some you won't, but hey, falconry is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you get! Sorry Forrest! :D

everetkhorton
09-03-2009, 07:19 PM
(welc) Bob,

Chris L.
09-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Bob

Welcome to NAFEX. Please dont hesitate to post. I would enjoy hearing about your Aplo.
What year is the hatch?

Happy hawking

Chris

samatney
09-04-2009, 08:14 PM
It's about time!.......

NCFalconer
09-05-2009, 12:00 AM
Welcome, Bob.

I'll look forward to hearing how the aplo does this season,.

And BTW, Chris, how do YOU feel about aplos these days?

:)

Bob

Welcome to NAFEX. Please dont hesitate to post. I would enjoy hearing about your Aplo.
What year is the hatch?

Happy hawking

Chris

Chris L.
09-05-2009, 05:09 AM
Welcome, Bob.

I'll look forward to hearing how the aplo does this season,.

And BTW, Chris, how do YOU feel about aplos these days?

:)

D,

I am leaning towards they are bad as hell :D

read Jim Nelsons article in Hawk chalk and it makes them even better... Lets hope for and prey to the Aplo gods they are good to me, Then we all will be signing their praises;)

borderhawk
09-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Hi Bob!!! Welcome aboard!! As soon as I get net access again you'll be seeing me around here.

melbhawking
09-06-2009, 09:43 PM
Hi Bob!
Great to see you on here. I am looking forward to hearing about your hawking adventures. Hope to see you this fall. (welc)
Cheers,

NCFalconer
09-07-2009, 03:51 PM
Bob, glad to see you made it on this site. You'll enjoy it.

Sorry, Bob, to go off the topic, but:
Chris et al, be sure to read Harry's latest book. You'll be HOOKED on aplos!!
BTW, Sophie, pictured above in my avatar, is a total blast to fly. You always have to be sure to wear a baseball cap because she thinks your head is a T-perch to hunt from.

D

D,

I am leaning towards they are bad as hell :D

read Jim Nelsons article in Hawk chalk and it makes them even better... Lets hope for and prey to the Aplo gods they are good to me, Then we all will be signing their praises;)

bobpayne
09-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Chris I flew one in 06, and then gave her back to the breeding project. I picked up my current charge in july on my way to do abatement in Washinton state with three other aplomados, all appeared to be subadults two tercels and two falcons. I returned three of the hawks after the harvest and plan on returning the fourth after the nafa meet. I am hunting her five times a week and the larger insects are starting to get in my way, but it is just part of the deal. They are a blast to hunt in a cast, nothing in falconry like watching four of the avain leopards chasing. Kind of like Harris hawks, but much cooler, because the flights are after birds!
Lookin forward to running into others hunting them.

Bob

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx336/nterBobPayne/367ca6a0.jpg

Chris L.
09-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Bob,

You mentioned you return them to the breeder. Will you get the same 4 back when you decide to fly again or are they up for breeding for good? What is the time frame to get these guys ready for abatement once they are in your hands?

If you have any more pictures I would enjoy seeing them. I really would like to see some of these guys in action.

Good luck at NAFA with her. Hate I am going to miss NAFA this year. I really would have enjoyed seeing her fly.

thanks for the post and please don't hesitate to talk more about them on here.

Cheers,

Chris

bobpayne
09-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Chris, I plan on using the aplomado again next year given, I am invited to do so. I would be happy to get new hawks again, or proven birds, no matter. newbies are much more work, but have its own rewards.

As to photo's, all I had was a point and shoot, so all I got last season are "chump" shots. http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx336/nterBobPayne/0510da5b.jpg one of Maggie with magpie

Time frame, once coming to the lure it is time to go out and start, remember I had four to use. Aplomados love to chase, and that is all that is required to be sucessful at abatement. As to catching stuff, all were sucessful in the first week, lots of stuff to chase if you are out doing it every day!
Bob