PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Tigerlily
06-19-2007, 04:19 PM
Hi, my name is Christie. I've had a bit of experience with birds of prey while working at a wildlife rehab center. Most invovled our permanent resident Red Tail and Red Shoulders Hawks. I've also gotten to work with assorted owls and eagles as well. (of course most of that invovled throwing food into a cage and basic cleaning)

I absolutely loved it. I gave up quite a bit when I decided to marry and have kids. Now that they're a bit older I'm trying to pick some hobbies that really feed my soul. And yes snakes being another one of those hobbies. I'd really like to start researching what it takes to get started and whether it's feasible for me at this time in my life.

So, I'll be nosing around quite a bit. I will be in the Florence, Alabama area. (when I acutally move there in a couple weeks)

Thanks for sparking my interest Chris, and for all the help you've extended to me already.

kimmerar
06-19-2007, 04:39 PM
Hey Christie

Welcome. I have done some rehabbing myself. If you get into falconry your rehabbing skills are going to change for the better. Fitness is very important.

Hope you get into falconry - need more women into it - I'm flying a kestrel - love em.

I'm into herps too - got out of that when my daughter was born - will have them again someday - Chris has set up a nice site here and the members are friendly and helpful.

Again welcome to the forum

`Chris L.
06-19-2007, 04:55 PM
Christie,
Great to have you here. I am looking forward to meeting you. Looks like sooner than later at Daytona [smilie=icon_pidu.gif] .

It is great you have some rehab back ground as that will help you a great deal when first handling BOP's. You have already done more with raptors than most have just getting into falconry.

Its great when you finally have time to do the things you enjoy in life. I can tell you, falconry will be something you forever enjoy and cherish.

Please dont hesitate to ask questions and I hope you enjoy the forums.

Thank you to both you and Kim for the kind words, it really appreciate them.

stangs13
06-19-2007, 05:00 PM
Heya Christie!! Glad you made it over!! Chris is really bringing falconrey into lots of peoples eyes, including mine!! Welcome. [smilie=banana.gif]

tweets_4611
06-19-2007, 11:57 PM
Hey, when you say Datona are you talking about the massive herp show there in Aug? Are you guys going to? :P

Rudd
06-20-2007, 12:52 AM
Christy, do you visit other reptile boards?

I will be in Daytona, anyone else?

tweets_4611
06-20-2007, 01:32 AM
I'm pretty sure I will be!! That's what I'm aiming for! ^_^

`Chris L.
06-20-2007, 07:42 AM
I just requested it off. I wll be there for sure [smilie=banana.gif] .. We all have to meet up for sure. I will be booking my hotel soon. I am pretty excited about it. it should be fun...

looking forward to seeing everyone

Tigerlily
06-20-2007, 11:53 PM
Yes I will be in Daytona. I didn't get to go last year, so I told the husband I'm definitely going this year. I get a weekend to myself, well I'm taking my sister too. (but no kids!!)

The only reptile board that I frequent is ball-pythons.net. I just hatched my first clutch of ball pythons. I'm still very excited about that.

I also just told my husband that I wanted to look into falconry and he's decided he's going to start calling me Abby now.... abbynormal. I can't help if I love animals.

Are there any members from Alabama? I do know I want to try and make it to a couple of your outings in Atlanta.

I really need a step by step intro to this. What exactly is involved in intitial setup, what is considered daily maitenance, how do I go about finding someone to apprentice under? Sooooo many questions, and I don't really know where to start.

Jimmy
06-21-2007, 08:37 AM
Hi Christie.
There's some good falconers in Alabama. You'll need to contact The Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. They should be able to give you some info on falconry in the state. With everything that's involved in becoming licensed, it's not very likely that you'd get everything done in time to start this year. It is possible though. I would personally reccomend that you use this year to meet other people, go on some hunts, and make sure that it's something you want to pursue. It is a HUGE time commitment, but VERY rewarding.

kimmerar
06-21-2007, 10:35 AM
I started my venture on June 18th and was trapping on Sept 1 - have to admit though - my husband was already flying so he was already in with a few other people and that really helped. Plus it helped with studying - I already knew a bunch for the test, I helped my husband by asking questions, so...... it can be done.

I do agree - you'll learn alot going out with other people and that's pretty much what I did with my husband during his first year.

everetkhorton
06-21-2007, 05:22 PM
Christie:
Jimmy give you some real good advice, you may not think so now but in years to come you will thank him. Get out and have fun watching other and beating the brush. See how other do there thing, we all do things a little different.

Tigerlily
07-17-2007, 11:01 PM
I really appreciate all the advice. I know this is not an instant gratification field. I'm more than willing to do the time and research. In fact, I wouldn't even consider getting an animal for at least another year or so, and that's only IF I find that I have what it takes to continue. I have a bit of an impulsive personality, so I have to really take the time and see if it's something I can really commit to. (I researched my snakes for 2 years before my first purchase )

If you can point me toward some of this material that I need to study I would love it! Thanks again to you all for the warm welcome and all the help.

everetkhorton
07-18-2007, 10:10 AM
Contact your State Game Dept. and ask for a set of State and Federal
regulation and any other information they may have.

`Chris L.
07-18-2007, 01:31 PM
I really appreciate all the advice. I know this is not an instant gratification field. I'm more than willing to do the time and research. In fact, I wouldn't even consider getting an animal for at least another year or so, and that's only IF I find that I have what it takes to continue. I have a bit of an impulsive personality, so I have to really take the time and see if it's something I can really commit to. (I researched my snakes for 2 years before my first purchase )

If you can point me toward some of this material that I need to study I would love it! Thanks again to you all for the warm welcome and all the help.

Christie, get the California hawking clubs manuals. They are great and should help you pass the test. Look at this thread for some other study materials http://www.nafex.net/index.php?f=43

Let us know if you need help

keep us posted..

Oh yeah, you still going to Daytona? I have it off but still debating weather I should go???

Joby
07-18-2007, 02:59 PM
There are also a couple of good websites out there that you might find helpful, such as:

www.themodernapprentice.com (an informational site about everything apprentices need to know, and...

http://apfalconry.proboards19.com/ (a chat group especially for apprentices)

Rudd
07-18-2007, 06:49 PM
Missing Daytona should be a crime, PERIOD. You get a venomous show in addition to the regular show. Amazing.

Tigerlily
07-20-2007, 11:59 PM
Thank Ev., Chris, and Joby! I'm still unpacking boxes from my move, so it's not top of my list quite yet. Although, I need some down time so it may make it there pretty soon.

Chris I still have plans to go to Daytona. I have a hotel reservation AT the Hilton. Right now, I'm trying to work out child care my kids as well as my sister's kids too. I'm still planning on being there, and my husband seems determined that I'm able to go as well! Let me know if you go. I'd love to meet up with ya!