PDA

View Full Version : new to the list

Dennis Samnee
09-12-2009, 05:54 PM
Hi all,
My name is Dennis Samnee
I live in DeSoto Mo.I am 54 and have been a falconer for quite while.
I mostly fly longwings at ducks but also have flown and like accipters.I got my propagation permit this yr for Gyr/Peregrines and Merlins.The Merlins I am still looking for.I am going to try and trap this yr in Kansas.
Well I could ramble on falconry so I guess I will check out the posts now.
Later
Dennis

hawk_1_lawman_2
09-12-2009, 06:18 PM
Welcome buddy ! you like it around here....

(welc)

Tony

Bryant Tarr
09-12-2009, 07:15 PM
My Pal! Glad you are here. just don't admit to knowing me and you should do just fine ;)
(welc)

KidK
09-12-2009, 07:56 PM
(welc)

Hi Dennis! Welcome to NAFEX!

OMG! You know Bryant Tarr..

There goes the neighborhood! HA!

Lowachi
09-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Welcome aboard! My Gordon setter came from down Desoto way. Intraset Kennels.

David
09-12-2009, 09:10 PM
Dennis,

Welcome to the site. I am new here myself. Only been on month or so. How is the new GYR doing? Have you got her flying yet? That is just the ticket to get your old heart pumping.

My GYR / merlin has finished his moult and I am slowly dropping his weight. Hopefully we can get the kite out next week.

Thanks,
David
KY

Hi all,
My name is Dennis Samnee
I mostly fly longwings at ducks but also have flown and like accipters.I got my propagation permit this yr for Gyr/Peregrines and Merlins.The Merlins I am still looking for.I am going to try and trap this yr in Kansas.
Later
Dennis

Mike McCoy
09-13-2009, 07:37 PM
Welcome Dennis! Good luck with your breeding project, especially the Merlins as I'm interested in one down the road. My Gos is finished with his moult just waiting for a few more leaves and grams to drop.

Regards,
Mike

bobpayne
09-13-2009, 09:26 PM
greetings and welcome Dennis, from the west side of Missouri, Bob Payne

everetkhorton
09-13-2009, 09:42 PM
(welc)Dennis

FredFogg
09-14-2009, 12:02 AM
Hi all,
My name is Dennis Samnee
Later
Dennis

Welcome to NAFEX Dennis! I will be in Kansas in November between the 20th and 29th trapping a prairie and hunting. Where do you planning to trap in Kansas and when?

Dennis Samnee
09-22-2009, 06:50 PM
My Pal! Glad you are here. just don't admit to knowing me and you should do just fine ;)
(welc)Hey old buddy nice to be hear.Sorry for the slow reply.Just now getting time to figure out how to navigate hereamennn

Dennis Samnee
09-22-2009, 06:59 PM
(welc)

Hi Dennis! Welcome to NAFEX!

OMG! You know Bryant Tarr..

There goes the neighborhood! HA!
Hi Kory,

Sorry I'm a little slowconfuseddHave not got this quite figured out yet.Yea Bryants my old pal;) Feel like I know you from Bryants stories.
Have a good time up there in MI. with those 'Goshawks.
Dennis

Dennis Samnee
09-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Welcome to NAFEX Dennis! I will be in Kansas in November between the 20th and 29th trapping a prairie and hunting. Where do you planning to trap in Kansas and when?
We are planning on going on the southwest corner of Kansas.At least that is where we are going to start.I have pretty much stayed in MO and Illlinois to hunt and trapped only in MO. I have been a recluse as far as that goes.
What are you going for tiercel or falcon?
Good luck and sorry for just now getting to this post.
Dennis

Tanner
09-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Hi all,
My name is Dennis Samnee
Later
Dennis

Hi Dennis,
Do you mean that you'll try to trap merlins for breeding purposes? (They don't do well as wild caught breeders--the males get eaten, that's why I mention it.)
Welcome, nonetheless.

Dennis Samnee
09-22-2009, 07:24 PM
(welc)Dennis
HI Everet,
Thanks for the welcome.I am trying to catch up here as I just now saw all these replies.I am not good on the computer.Talk to you later
Dennis

Dennis Samnee
09-22-2009, 07:29 PM
Do you mean that you'll try to trap merlins for breeding purposes? (They don't do well as wild caught breeders--the males get eaten, that's why I mention it.) Welcome, nonetheless.
Tanner.
Hi and thanks.
I have to be honest.I don't know much about the breeding side of falconry.I am green to this but I do intend to fly them for a while first.
Tell me more of what you know about Merlins.I want to learn all I can.
Thanks
Dennis

Dennis Samnee
09-22-2009, 07:32 PM
greetings and welcome Dennis, from the west side of Missouri, Bob Payne
HI Bob.
Hey I just bought a set of hood blocks to go along with what I got.Now I wont have to keep modifying mine because I am getting to old for that .You know what I meanOLD MANtoungeout
Dennis

Dennis Samnee
09-22-2009, 07:35 PM
Dennis,

Welcome to the site. I am new here myself. Only been on month or so. How is the new GYR doing? Have you got her flying yet? That is just the ticket to get your old heart pumping.

My GYR / merlin has finished his moult and I am slowly dropping his weight. Hopefully we can get the kite out next week.

Thanks,
David
KY
Good luck friend with that dove hawking friend.I plan on some of the same this yr.
My Gyr is now in with my male in the breeding chamber as of last Sat.I am training a new tiercel Peales for hawking .Alll three of my birds are from Lance.
Dennis

Tanner
09-22-2009, 07:38 PM
I'm not a breeder either, there are some guys on here that are though, and I imagine that by the time you've got your breeders in hand, you'll have your game plan all figured out. I do know that in the early days (70's) natural merlin pairs were attempted numerous times and the result was a dead jack most of the time. I wouldn't go that route.

As for flying them, I'd just caution that there's a good deal of bogus information/stigma attached to the merlin. Most of the old opinions are just off base completely. If you see them for what they are it's a boatload of fun.
We've just started seeing the migrants show up here--had an absolutely awesome passage jack in the field two days ago working over a harrier. Good luck in KS this year!

Dennis Samnee
09-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Welcome Dennis! Good luck with your breeding project, especially the Merlins as I'm interested in one down the road. My Gos is finished with his moult just waiting for a few more leaves and grams to drop.

Regards,
Mike
HI Mike.
Thanks .I will need the luck with the Merlins.I think the Gyrs will be easier.
I wanted to fly a Gos this yr, but it did not work out.
What kind are you flying and at what?
Dennis

Dennis Samnee
09-22-2009, 07:41 PM
Welcome aboard! My Gordon setter came from down Desoto way. Intraset Kennels.
Hi Rich ,
Wow you drove a ways for the dog .How is she.I don't know of the kennel.I know of a guy that breeds high dollar English Pointers,but that is it.What road is the kennel on?
Dennis

keitht
09-22-2009, 10:22 PM
Never heard of "Desoto." ???

jdiveley
09-23-2009, 09:19 AM
(welc) to NAFEX Dennis. Glad to have you here.

FredFogg
09-23-2009, 10:04 AM
We are planning on going on the southwest corner of Kansas.At least that is where we are going to start.I have pretty much stayed in MO and Illlinois to hunt and trapped only in MO. I have been a recluse as far as that goes.
What are you going for tiercel or falcon?
Good luck and sorry for just now getting to this post.
Dennis

Hey Dennis, when are you going? I will be midway west of Dodge City and Garden City, which is pretty much the southwest part of Kansas. We will be staying in a little town called Ulysses with a friend. I plan on trapping a falcon. If you are in that area at the same time, it would be great to do some trapping together and maybe some hunting. I would love to see a longwing catch a duck, been out several times with longwingers, but never have seen anything caught. We won't be doing any longwing hunting as we all have red-tails and HH's, but if you want to go back to your roots and watch some bunnies and jacks squeal, you are more than welcome to come along.

bobpayne
09-23-2009, 10:18 AM
HI Bob.
Hey I just bought a set of hood blocks to go along with what I got.Now I wont have to keep modifying mine because I am getting to old for that .You know what I meanOLD MANtoungeout
Dennis

I know that it hurts to get up in the morning, and I look forward to it, blessed with a new day.

I'm heading west the middle of next month. I have way too many birds and yet I toy each day with calling Tonya in Kansas and asking her to send an app to trap. Go figure, I got the sickness, tell me the cure! :eek: Bob Payne

melbhawking
09-28-2009, 09:47 PM
Hi Dennis,

Nice to see you here. (welc) Met you years back, when I was still an apprentice under Norma. Seen about 50+ merlins come through on the beach. The sickness hit me. I woke up and there was a fresh trapped female in my living room. There are several falconers down here that have flown merlins for years. They would be good people to get in touch with, if your interested. Good luck and have fun trapping!

kurt
10-01-2009, 12:19 AM
Hey Dennis
Glad you made it to the site. Was that your Gyr at the picnic ? That thing was as big as my wife's car. The ducks are starting to show up now, two days after Teal season ended. Still a lot of collared doves around Orchard farm though. Hope your season works out well, maybe I'll see you in the field. Kurt

LittleMissSisyphus
10-01-2009, 08:50 AM
welcome! from Springfield, mo(welc)

Dennis Samnee
10-04-2009, 09:38 AM
Hi Dennis,

Nice to see you here. (welc) Met you years back, when I was still an apprentice under Norma. Seen about 50+ merlins come through on the beach. The sickness hit me. I woke up and there was a fresh trapped female in my living room. There are several falconers down here that have flown merlins for years. They would be good people to get in touch with, if your interested. Good luck and have fun trapping!
HI Megan.
Yea I remember you. Where are you located now?
I am heading out to Kansas in about three wks and hope to trap a couple.I got my propagation permit and am going to try to breed them frus)I here.They are hard, but I have a lot of friends that breed that will help me.Have not got any yet.I do have the Gyrs though.It will be a few couple of yrs before I can hope to get anything.
So tell me more about your Merlin and what you have been up to if you do'nt mind.
Dennis

Dennis Samnee
10-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Hey Dennis
Glad you made it to the site. Was that your Gyr at the picnic ? That thing was as big as my wife's car. The ducks are starting to show up now, two days after Teal season ended. Still a lot of collared doves around Orchard farm though. Hope your season works out well, maybe I'll see you in the field. Kurt
Hi Kurt,
Yea that was my Gyr.I guess you could tell I she has not been handled much here lately.That is because I was putting her in the chamber right after the eyass party.She is in there now and only time will tell if they will make anything.
I have been working with a little tiercel Peale/Anatum.I was not feeling well for a while but I think they have my heart meds finally figured out.I am doing the kite training bit now.Just recently got started .He is up to 400 ft for the moment.
I will see you later
Dennis

Dennis Samnee
10-04-2009, 09:48 AM
welcome! from Springfield, mo(welc)
Hi there,thanks for the welcome.
Do I know you? Have we met?
Were you at the eyass party.
Any way thanks and good luck hawking.
Dennis

Dennis Samnee
10-04-2009, 09:51 AM
I know that it hurts to get up in the morning, and I look forward to it, blessed with a new day.

I'm heading west the middle of next month. I have way too many birds and yet I toy each day with calling Tonya in Kansas and asking her to send an app to trap. Go figure, I got the sickness, tell me the cure! :eek: Bob Payne
Hey Bob,
How is it going?
Got the fever do youamennn
Me too,Hell I can't wait to get to Kansas:eek:
Good luck to you and keep me posted on what you get;)
Dennis

melbhawking
10-04-2009, 10:46 AM
HI Megan.
Yea I remember you. Where are you located now?
I am heading out to Kansas in about three wks and hope to trap a couple.I got my propagation permit and am going to try to breed them frus)I here.They are hard, but I have a lot of friends that breed that will help me.Have not got any yet.I do have the Gyrs though.It will be a few couple of yrs before I can hope to get anything.
So tell me more about your Merlin and what you have been up to if you do'nt mind.
Dennis
I am in Melbourne, Florida now. I am trying to adjust to falconry in the sub-tropical climate zone. :) The merlin is coming along fast! There were 3 females kept among local falconers, and all 3 act completely differently. One is timid and sweet. The other is very aggressive. Mine is somewhere in between. She is not batey, and if she is nervous she puffs up and walks toward me. She's a fighter not a flier, but not aggressive. She ate off the fist the first night and is flying 10ft at about a week. The doves better watch out. I am also flying an 09 Fin/German female imprint Gos. Having a blast with both birds. Heading up that way either late this month or the first part of November. I should have the merlin flying by then. If your interested in seeing her fly, I can look you up when I am in MO. I can't wait to get back into some proper bunny feilds again! When is duck season up there anyway?
Cheers,

Dennis Samnee
10-05-2009, 07:51 PM
I will be in Kansas 22 to the 26th.
If you don't come that weekend .yea I would like to see that Merlin and Gos fly.I am training a new falcon now so wouldn't be much to see on my part.
Let me know.
Teal season got screwed up this yr .I guess ducks open up same time.Don't know exactly when it is though.I haven't bought a stamp yet.I'm sure it would be on the Cons Dept site though.
Did you trap your Merlin yourself?
Dennis

LittleMissSisyphus
10-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Hi there,thanks for the welcome.
Do I know you? Have we met?
Were you at the eyass party.
Any way thanks and good luck hawking.
Dennis

Doubtful that I know you yet, but we may meet someday!
Just like to welcome missourians and make contacts.
Besides, I am bad with names and faces! ha ha
take care