PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Coopers Hawk (Accipiter Cooperii)

TheGerman
10-08-2009, 12:36 PM
hey out there.
my name is daniel, called danny and i´m looking for a coopers hawk. it doesn´t matter if tiercel or female.
i´m from bavaria / Germany and i can´t find trustable and well known coopers hawk breeders here. so i decided to try it in the US.
maybe anyone could help me in her to make my dream come true to hunt with a coopers hawk.
permission to import raptors to the eu and to germany is to hand.
i would also invite the breeder (if found) to come to germany and take place in a real old style german "beizjagd" as we call hunting with raptors.
friends of mine also breed european and northern goshawks, harris hawks, golden eagles, gyrfalcons, lannerfalcons, peregrine falcons and a lot more.
if there would be interessts.
maybe anyone of you could help me.
yours danny

Saluqi
10-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Hi Danny,

Welcome to NAFEX! It will be tough to get an American bred Coopers hawk out of the US. First of all because they are not a common bird for people to breed here, and second because folks who do breed them need to have a special CITES export permit. I would guess that most folks who have proper CITES permits are breeding large falcons for the Arab market and are not breeding Coopers hawks.

The thing about Coopers hawks is that they are EVERYWHERE, they breed in city parks and this time of year there are passage Coops all around, so if a falconer wants to fly a Coop it is an easy matter to either take an eyass, or trap a passage. Your best luck may be to move here for a couple of years and fly one here.

What birds are you flying now?

TheGerman
12-29-2009, 03:26 AM
atm i fly a europ goshawk fem and a northern goshawk fem.
also a gyr hybrid