PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Ireland Rekindled my Interest

SanFranDiver
10-13-2009, 12:17 AM
I've always loved raptors, bought a book about falconry in 1975, saw that my lifestyle was incompatible with owning a hawk and put it all on the backburner.

Last month my wife and I visited Ireland for the first time, stayed at the Ashford Castle hotel and went on a hawk walk with the owner of the Ireland School of Falconry ( http://www.falconry.ie/ ). We flew a Harris hawk and both wife and I fell in love with the tiercel.

So I'm now retired, getting my falconry books and California Hawking Club study materials and planning to take the test!

http://foto.sharrow.com/Craig-SpreadWingHarrisHawk-1000x646.jpg

Hawkmom
10-13-2009, 09:47 AM
Also: read this informative site: www.themodernapprentice.com

Go afield with some local falconers, do the dirty work, (clean mews, make equipment, etc).

Just like horses. Kid to mom and dad Mom/Dad: "I want to ride horses".

Mom/Dad takes kid to local stables: The first thing the stable instructor does is hand the kid the manuer fork.

everetkhorton
10-13-2009, 03:48 PM
(welc) We need a name to go along with the picture. The best way to get the interest of falconers is let them know you have a great hunting spot and IF you let you tag along you will show them the field.:D It takes a lot of leg work to find new places to hunt.

paganlove22
10-13-2009, 04:47 PM
(welc)

SanFranDiver
10-27-2009, 02:50 PM
As I mentioned, I'm semi-to-mostly-retired so I finally have the time that I think it will take to devote myself properly to falconry.

I'm in the process of studying for my CA exam. I plan to take it in November 2009. It seems unlikely that I'll be able to build my mews, get the approvals, find a sponsor, and then trap my RT before Jan 31 2010 (LOL) --

but I would like to meet some general/master falconers who live in the SF Bay Area (I'm in Marin county) and get some hawking and learning time in prior to the point when I finally get my Apprentice Falconer status.

In particular, I'd like to know how feasible it is to actually hunt an RT in the SF Bay Area.

Thanks

everetkhorton
10-28-2009, 06:51 PM
Craig:
You have a plan, so plan your work and work your plan. You will find in a lot of cases you will be waiting on others. Hit the fields in the bay area and see if there is game. That will tell you if you can fly a Rt. JMO Have fun. Keep us posted.