PDA

View Full Version : <S> From North Dakota

NightWarrior
07-06-2007, 09:33 PM
Hello from the Dakotas!

Names Craig, I'm 32, 5 kids, 2 chows and a Supportive Wife. I will be starting my apprenticeship next fall. I will also be helping my sponcer this year with his falconry needs...

Can't wait to trap and hunt next season, next year is a long ways away yet 1 year 1 month to be exact... I will be reading and asking aq few questions along the way but mostly reading...

<S> Craig

P.S. We don't ride in cover wagons pulled by horses. We don't have to kill natives to leave the state. We also don't speak like in the movie Fargo...

kimmerar
07-06-2007, 09:40 PM
Welcome Craig - Great sight - lots of info here. Good luck and sounds like your off to a good start.

P.S. We don't ride in cover wagons pulled by horses. We don't have to kill natives to leave the state. We also don't speak like in the movie Fargo...

LOL Sure ya don't

Jimmy
07-06-2007, 10:12 PM
I will also be helping my sponcer this year with his falconry needs...

I wish my apprentice was like that.. Guess I need to trade him in.....
Welcome aboard Craig.

everetkhorton
07-06-2007, 11:08 PM
Graing:
Welcome to the forum. We have fun and do a little poking at each other in fun. I just hope you do not talk the those guy in MN. <G>.

NightWarrior
07-07-2007, 12:51 AM
Well yah I work in mn as a chef for a private golf course so I talk to them alot... Plus it's the land of 10,000 lakes man, some of the best fishin around besides the Red River of the North for catfish & walleye, oh don't forget smallies at the dams... (Soon to be 2nd love is fishing, mostly kitties and walleye in river...)

I came into the season a little late in the year in my opinion, so I will be waiting until next year... I plan on taking this time to learn to make all my equipment and some backups. Also give me more time to build mew/weather area and I have bought alot of reading material and have had some email conversations with Dr. Redig on a few things and on his book/articals: Medical Management of Birds of Prey...

As for my sponcer, I think he is a very genuine guy. Been doin falconry since 60's and was first in ND and help write out state test, he likes and flies F.RT as primary bird. I get to trap, train, mann bird. He has some friends come down and they hunt together and some fly falcons which will be kewl to see. He hunts rabbits and squirrel mainly and a few phesants in kicked up. He will be a very hands on trainer and great sponcer whom I hope to learn a ton from.

Well I hope you all feel that I'm off on the right foot because I think I am and not just dippin my toe in to see how it is but rather in it for the long haul. To me it's the purest for of hunting and it like the hunt and thrill of the kill. I will be hunting as close to nature as you can get, BoP and Bow...

Later, Craig

My Books Collection:
The Compleat Falconer, By: Frank L. Beebe
The Red-Tailed hawk, By: Liam McGranaghan
The Falconers Apprentice, By: William Oaks
A Falconry Manual, By: Frank L. Beebe
Buteos & Bushytails, By: Gary L. Brewer

Waiting for:
North American Falconry and Hunting Hawks (9th edition)
Beebe, Frank L. & Harold M. Webster

chamokane
07-07-2007, 04:59 PM
Craig,
Welcome to the sport (way of life). It sounds like you have a great sponsor and I have heard that North Dakota is a great place to practice falconry.

If you keep a Red Tail long enough to get it really steady, be sure to try flushing pheasants under it while it is soaring high in a thermal. The stoops can be awesome.

Dave

P.S. If you don't use horses, what do you use to pull your covered wagons? I hear oxen are great. [smilie=eusa_think.gif]

outhawkn
07-08-2007, 07:42 PM
Graing:
Welcome to the forum. We have fun and do a little poking at each other in fun. I just hope you do not talk the those guy in MN. <G>.

Here now!! Play nice Ev. [smilie=smileys13.gif]

Welcome to the forum. [smilie=banana.gif]

everetkhorton
07-08-2007, 08:20 PM
Bill:
I was at a NAFA meet in Neb. While I was there two different people ask me what part of MN. I was from. I told them I was from Mi. They said I had a MN. accent. [smilie=eusa_doh.gif]

NightWarrior
07-09-2007, 01:25 PM
P.S. If you don't use horses, what do you use to pull your covered wagons? I hear oxen are great.

1997 Chevy 1/2 ton silverado 4x4 w/2in lift and 33in tires... Does a great job but the cost of feed is killing me...

chamokane
07-09-2007, 02:10 PM
P.S. If you don't use horses, what do you use to pull your covered wagons? I hear oxen are great.

1997 Chevy 1/2 ton silverado 4x4 w/2in lift and 33in tires... Does a great job but the cost of feed is killing me...

I hear you. It would be ironic if the price of gas is what kills falconry. For a while, I actually tried to hunt out of a Geo Metro but I had to use a really small dog.

NightWarrior
07-09-2007, 03:17 PM
Ur telling me, gas is only $2.98 gallon but with my modified 350 Vtec it drinks more than me in a day... Craig

everetkhorton
07-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Creg:
$3.19 in my area of MI. We all know its [smilie=bs.gif]

Rudd
07-09-2007, 06:36 PM
3.69 here in CA.

kimmerar
07-09-2007, 06:37 PM
$2.87 in Arkansas