PDA

View Full Version : Alone in Florida?

JetBourne
10-29-2009, 10:49 AM
Hello everyone. My name is Brett and I've recently taken interest in falconry. But everywhere I turn information is either out dated, or there's no one to talk to about it. I really want to do this... it's not every day something captivats me like this and I'm trying to get involved.

I've ordered books that I've seen on suggested reading lists, I've joined websites even if they're outdated, and I've been making phone calls. But I don't seem to be getting any closer to my goal. frus)

I guess the question I'm asking is as follows: "WHERE ARE ALL THE FLORIDA FALCONERS???"

'nuff said.

But any information is welcome. Thanks

GregMik
10-29-2009, 12:21 PM
Brett,

Welcome to NAFEX.

Try contacting the Florida Hawking Fraternity.

http://www.f-h-f.org/

Greg

Hawkmom
10-29-2009, 12:54 PM
Go to these sites for information: www.myfwc.com search for falconry.

Florida Falconry Association: www.floridafalconry.com

Also the Modern Apprentice: www.themodernapprentice.com

Where do you live in Florida?

JetBourne
10-29-2009, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the links guys. They help!!

Justin Monroe
10-29-2009, 01:59 PM
Brett. If your looking for friendly Falconers that will help you anyway possible. You have found the Motherload.

On a side note... I thought this was a singles post with the Alone in Florida heading :eek:toungeoutconfusedd

JetBourne
10-29-2009, 02:34 PM
LOL no it's not a singles post rofl. Thanks though. I hope I can find some Florida based falconers though. That seems to be my biggest challenge thus far. I've tried FHF and FFA but both were either outdated or difficult to navigate.

keithtsoar
10-29-2009, 02:47 PM
There are a few Florida falconers that come on here from time to time. Im sure someone will see your thread and get in contact with you.

rri32701
10-29-2009, 03:30 PM
Brett:
I'm an apprentice myself and just got my first bird.I,ll tell you what you need to do.Go to Western Sportings website.Order 3 books
1)The California apprentice study guide(study this and you will pass your test)2)The Redtailed Hawk and 3)The Falconers apprentice.
The last two because being an apprentice a redtailed hawk is what you
will almost assuredly get for your first bird. They also have directions for making your mews and other equip.
You will need to call Colonel Julie Jones of the FWC @ (850)488-6253
to schedule your exam.
It will take two weeks to get your results,then they will schedule to come inspect your equip. and mews.Your mews and weathering in Florida can be one and the same.
Someone who is on this website furnished me a list of falconers in my
area and the first two I contacted both offered to sponsor me so finding a
sponsor should not be a problem.if you do all of the above.People like to
see dedication before they offer to sponsor you.
This process can take 6 months so don't drag your feet.
Good Luck Robert Miller

ericedw
10-29-2009, 04:03 PM
LOL no it's not a singles post rofl. Thanks though. I hope I can find some Florida based falconers though. That seems to be my biggest challenge thus far. I've tried FHF and FFA but both were either outdated or difficult to navigate.

Brett, not sure what you found difficult about the Florida Falconers' Association website. There's not a whole lot there. But I did get the contact form you filled out today.

I'll forward your information to a few falconers in your area but please understand it may take more than a few hours for them to get back to you.

Eric Edwards
Florida Falconers' Association

JetBourne
10-29-2009, 05:03 PM
Brett, not sure what you found difficult about the Florida Falconers' Association website. There's not a whole lot there. But I did get the contact form you filled out today.

I'll forward your information to a few falconers in your area but please understand it may take more than a few hours for them to get back to you.

Eric Edwards
Florida Falconers' Association

thank you Eric. I do understand that and have no problem with that. Thank you everyone for all your support and your help.

everetkhorton
10-30-2009, 10:14 AM
(welc) Brett: You will find that there are many challenges in falconry, the paper work can be slowwwwwww, some times. You just have to work around thing until things get moving. It just takes time. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

tampamatt
10-30-2009, 03:03 PM
Most certainly not alone! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.