PDA

View Full Version : New to the Game...and hello from California!

EricADugan
07-17-2007, 12:06 PM
Just wanted to introduce myself to the group. I have been lurking on the forum for a couple of months now. You guys sound like a great group and I have enjoyed and learned alot from the topics across the board.

My name is Eric and I live here in southern California. I will be taking the state test at the end of the month. My primary interests are in the evolution and ecology of snakes. I have been studying two species of rattlesnakes using radio-telemetry for the past 5 years in a local state park. This research will be the backbone of my dissertation.

I have always had an interest in falconry but never the time to pusrue it. Recently I hooked up with a local falconer who is now my sponsor. I recently completed the building of a mew, and I plan on working with a RT this season, assuming I pass my test. I look forward to interacting with you all here.
Cheers,
Eric

hawkstir
07-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Welcome and best of luck.

everetkhorton
07-17-2007, 12:41 PM
Eric:
Welcome to the site. We have some other who's
interest are along those lines.
Any picture of your mew? I see CA has formed another club. I guess this
is not real uncommon now days. Have fun and good luck.

chamokane
07-17-2007, 12:51 PM
Good luck on the test. That first Red Tail can be a real adventure. Not all Red Tails are created equal. Some of them can be super stars.

I'd like to know more about your rattlesnake study.

dfarris
07-17-2007, 12:52 PM
Welcome and good luck on your test

kenbro77
07-17-2007, 01:06 PM
Welcome to the forum and the best of luck to you on the test.

EricADugan
07-17-2007, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the welcome, its nothing short of what I expected.
Ev- I will take some shots of the mew and post them on here when I get a chance. It close to being done and I am happy with how it turned out. I still cant believe how much time it took to build it.

Chamokane - I am investigating the evolution of competition among Red Diamond and Southern Pacific rattlesnakes. I have been radio tracking 6 adults of each species beginning in March of 2003. Im looking at movements, home range, mating phenology, diet, and populations structure. One species occupies home ranges nearly twice the size of the other and eats a markeldy different diet. I might add that all the snakes are at the same 20 hectare site.

Any suggestions on a glove? So many out there, I want to make the best purchase possible.

Thanks again guys,
Eric

everetkhorton
07-17-2007, 05:11 PM
Eric
There are two types of glove. Nice ones and the one you will use the
most.
I would just go to a flea market and get a welders glove to use for feeting
etc. As far as a good glove goes, sorry I have had the same glove for
years. It is a Kalem Glove, it has served me well but I do not use it much
more for show etc. I am left handed so I can always use the glove you
don't use if you buy a pair [smilie=banana.gif]

EricADugan
07-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Ok Ev. I see how things are, trying to slip a new glove from a newby by having me pick up a set, lol. [smilie=eusa_naughty.gif] I was looking at the extra gloves one of the forum members and liked the look. I want to say it was Chris. Ill likely pick up a green one from him.
E

everetkhorton
07-17-2007, 06:26 PM
Eric:
Ya got me [smilie=icon_hang.gif] Hard to get the five bucks together to
get a new set. I guess I will have to hold on to the one I have now [smilie=eusa_boohoo.gif] Maybe at the end of the summer I will be able
to pick one up for halp price [smilie=dontknow.gif]

Jimmy
07-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Ok Ev. I see how things are, trying to slip a new glove from a newby by having me pick up a set, lol. [smilie=eusa_naughty.gif] I was looking at the extra gloves one of the forum members and liked the look. I want to say it was Chris. Ill likely pick up a green one from him.
E

might have been me....... Didn't you send me a PM a few weeks ago?

gabboon
07-17-2007, 10:58 PM
Kalem doesn't make gloves, but the business was taken over by Traditions. I don;t think there is a website, but I'm sure someone knows how to contact him. A very nice glove at a reasonable price. I have also heard raves about the gloves from Timberwolf in the UK, but I know they have raised their prices a bit over the years.

If you want a traditional glove these are good. As Ev says, a welders glove will do just as well with about $1.oo of alterations if any. But it is hard to find one that fits if you have tiny hands like me. I also prefer something not as thick so I can feel what I'm holding.

Some people like bull riding gloves and these look good to me. Look like regular gloves, long in the cuff and half the price of a traditional glove. I think I may get one of those to use with my Harris' so I can tone down the "fancy" appearance of my current glove.

everetkhorton
07-18-2007, 10:07 AM
Jimmy:
Don't you have gloves for sale, or was it someone else on this site.

Jimmy
07-18-2007, 10:16 AM
Jimmy:
Don't you have gloves for sale,

yep......

gabboon
07-18-2007, 11:32 AM
Jimmy:
Don't you have gloves for sale,

yep......

Pictures? What are they like? How much? PM me if you prefer. I'm in the market for a new glove or two. My wife now handles my bird. When I'm not home to put her out. And I'd like to get one for her.

Falcon Boy
07-18-2007, 11:45 AM
http://nafex.net/viewtopic.php?t=559

`Chris L.
07-18-2007, 01:28 PM
I was looking at the extra gloves one of the forum members and liked the look. I want to say it was Chris. Ill likely pick up a green one from him.
E

Eric,
Welcome to the NAFEX. Sorry It has taken me so long to welcome you but it has been crazy around my house [smilie=BangHead.gif]. It is great that you have taken the plunge into falconry. It is as addictive as snakes are for sure.

Many of us on here have a passion for snakes as well. Do you keep any snakes. What are you monitoring on the Rattle snakes? Have you found any interesting facts out about them with your research? You mentioned you use radio tracking with them, this will put you way ahead of the game when you start to use Telemetry on your bird.

I used to sell gloves and falconry equipment. I still have some left over. If you need one let me know. I will hook you up [smilie=icon_thumright.gif].

Again welcome to NAFEX forums and please keep us posted on your progress

wesleyc6
07-18-2007, 02:09 PM
I don't know how much some of the others sell gloves for, but for the price I know you can't beat what Chris is selling. They are thick enough to protect you and fairly supple. The best glove I have ever had is a Tradtions glove by Jim Spohn(sp?). It is a custom glove though and it should feel better as it is made to fit your hand. It is more expensive, but still a good deal. I lost my last one from them and I am using one of what Chris sells for my hawks and it is a good solid glove. For my falcon and for male HH's I am using a Pineo I got at the SC meet and it is nice, but pretty thin.

chamokane
07-18-2007, 02:34 PM
For falcons and other gentle birds, I like a rodeo glove. But for a big female Red Tail, I want double thickness elk hide. My old RT has even penetrated this type of glove a few times.

`Chris L.
07-18-2007, 04:01 PM
I don't know how much some of the others sell gloves for, but for the price I know you can't beat what Chris is selling. They are thick enough to protect you and fairly supple. ..

I lost my last one from them and I am using one of what Chris sells for my hawks and it is a good solid glove. For my falcon and for male HH's I am using a Pineo I got at the SC meet and it is nice, but pretty thin.

Wes,
Thank you for the compliments. Its god to hear it is still holding up. As Wes said you can buy More custom/detailed gloves but you will pay a pretty penny and probably wont use it as it is too nice to get messed up. Get a glove that is a great price and functional. Hope this helps

Jimmy
07-18-2007, 04:31 PM
Pictures? What are they like? How much? PM me if you prefer. I'm in the market for a new glove or two. My wife now handles my bird. When I'm not home to put her out. And I'd like to get one for her.

Noah posted the link to them. (Thanks Noah)
I have them listed for $50, but I'll take $45 for them.

wesleyc6
07-18-2007, 07:49 PM
No problem Chris. I like the glove a lot and use it often.

Hey if you get one from Jimmy, he will include a "flashing naked Harris Hawk" picture too. Hurry before they run out [smilie=smileys13.gif] [smilie=eusa_sick.gif]

Jimmy
07-18-2007, 08:16 PM
he will include a "flashing naked Harris Hawk" picture too. Hurry before they run out

That'd be better than the goofy dog pic you've been peddling...... [smilie=BangHead.gif] [smilie=eusa_doh.gif]

wesleyc6
07-18-2007, 10:18 PM
Jimmy, Jimmy, that isn't better than anything [smilie=eusa_naughty.gif]

I am keeping that goofy dog pic until I can take a game photo from here in Texas. [smilie=icon_hang.gif]

Jimmy
07-18-2007, 10:28 PM
Want me to send you a real bird to help, so you don't have to wait as long? [smilie=eusa_think.gif]

wesleyc6
07-18-2007, 11:15 PM
Sure, did you buy one you don't need?

Seriously though, it looks like my plans on flyin' a gal this year may have to wait. They both look boyish. No worries. There are apparently lots of cottontails around too!

`Chris L.
07-19-2007, 09:26 AM

Seriously though, it looks like my plans on flyin' a gal this year may have to wait. They both look boyish. No worries. There are apparently lots of cottontails around too!

yeah rub it in [smilie=icon_pidu.gif]

chamokane
07-19-2007, 03:04 PM

Wes,
Some of the coolest HH flights I have seen have been made by males stooping at running jacks from a soar.

wesleyc6
07-19-2007, 04:38 PM
Hey Dave,
I have always flown males, and had hoped to fly a female this year, but alas I don't think this will be the year. Truth be known, I am smilin' inside that I HAVE to fly another male. [smilie=sleepy2.gif]

EricADugan
07-25-2007, 01:02 PM
Well, I was suprised by my wife with a new glove. She got it from England. Its a Due North glove, and from what I can tell it seems to be of nice quality. Double thickness where it counts.

I wanted to ask you guys if there is any certain topics/subjects that I should go over extra well prior to taking the falconry exam next week. I have studied alot and feel prepared. Im trying not to be blind sided by something though.
Take care.
Eric

Jimmy
07-25-2007, 02:01 PM
If you feel prepared, just go take it. If you try to be too prepared, you're likely to screw up. The test really isn't that difficult. In fact, it's too easy in my opinion. Especailly when you consider that you can buy a book with all the answers in it.

gabboon
07-25-2007, 03:55 PM
I wanted to ask you guys if there is any certain topics/subjects that I should go over extra well prior to taking the falconry exam next week. I have studied alot and feel prepared. Im trying not to be blind sided by something though.
Take care.Eric

not sure what your state's exam is like, but here it is good to think of falconry circa 1972 when taking the exam. (was even printed with that blue mimeograph ink!)

I had a call from our state permits coordinator because someone was not satisfied with some of the "correct" answers on the test and they wanted another opinion. The kid had made some good points. One that sticks out was what to do with a fresh trapped bird. "Correct" choice said to sock it and clip the talons. I don't know anyone who clips talons or would even recommend it.

Multiple choice calls for common sense and ruling out the bad answers.

I recall a couple of questions on medications that haven't been used in over 20 years.

But it should be rather easy if you've been reading.

good luck!

Falcon Boy
07-25-2007, 03:58 PM
Steve, the one that pissed me off the most on the test was "What percentage of the birds body weight does it need to eat to remain at the same weight for the next day?" The "correct" answer was 10%. I asked what the weather conditions were before answering, and they looked at me like a moron. GO figure.

EricADugan
07-25-2007, 04:11 PM
Thanks guys. I do have the exam book with similar if not the same questions.

I hate to ask so many questions, but you guys have a ton of knowledge that I dont, so I will keep asking. My next question is if I should purchase one of the "apprentice kits" that are sold by several of the big faclonry vendors. It seems like a good way to save a bit and get the equipment needed. What are your thoughts on this?
Eric

gabboon
07-25-2007, 04:58 PM
My next question is if I should purchase one of the "apprentice kits" that are sold by several of the big faclonry vendors. It seems like a good way to save a bit and get the equipment needed. What are your thoughts on this?
Eric

Depending on what is included in the kit, you can, and should make it yourself. Jesses are easy to make and you need both field and mews and a couple sets of each. Extra leather for replacements is always good to have. You never know when anklets or jesses will need replacing. Bird sizes vary regionally and I find anklets for RTs are too small for our larger eastern birds. Make your own!

Shop around for perches. Look at the photos and dimensions and opther falconers perches and try to find someone local to make them. That might save some money, if only on shipping. Cover it yourself.

Lots of hardware, bath pans, etc. can be found at hardware stores or farmers' coops like Southern States.

A hood in a kit may not fit what you trap. You may even decide to change sex or species.

Simple climbing rope leash is a few pennies if you make your own.

You already have a glove.

Buy a pack of Sampo swivels from Cabelas or some similar place. You should always have extra on hand. They run about $50/dozen. Will last a long time if you don't lose them fast. Your friends will lose them and you'll give half away.

Scales can be bought on eBay if you want a triple beam. Make your won perch for it. Or get a nice digital at Office Depot or Staples. I have a Sunbeam that cost $20 on sale ($29 reg price) and has always been loyal. I use it for bird banding. 9v battery lasts a couple years.

I think that's it. My thought is no on the apprentice kit. The savings are probably eaten in shipping costs anyway.

Jimmy
07-25-2007, 06:01 PM
My next question is if I should purchase one of the "apprentice kits" that are sold by several of the big faclonry vendors.

NO. You need to learn how to make most of the stuff anyway.

everetkhorton
07-25-2007, 06:06 PM
Eric:
Look at what you get, then see how much you can make. Hoods,bells and scales would better if you would buy them. Most of the other
item you can make yourself with a little work. Your sponcer can help
you in choosing the right items.

EricADugan
07-25-2007, 07:32 PM
Great thanks to all that responded. It seems a wide spread idea to make my own when possible, so I will. I will likely purchase a hood anyways, along with scale, swivels etc. I had already planned on getting some of the equip. from a hardware store for a fraction of the price its offered at other places.
Thanks again,
Eric

gabboon
07-25-2007, 10:21 PM
Larry Counce makes nice bells at one of the better prices. I like the sound of the brass, but the nickel we more durable.

Rudd
07-25-2007, 10:34 PM
Good luck with your test Eric. I to am taking my test in the next couple of weeks. Are you using the CHC study guide? Where in CA are you located?

EricADugan
07-26-2007, 02:03 AM
I will look into the bells that were mentioned.

I am using the CHC study guide, and it seems to be full of great info. I am in the southern part of the state near Ontario. If anyone knows of any other falconers down here, please let me know. I imagine that I will mostly hunt on my own, as the serenity/solo aspect of it is huge for me. However, its always nice to know who is in your area.
Eric

`Chris L.
07-26-2007, 10:00 PM
Eric,
As others have mentioned dont buy one of those apprentice kits.. they are way over priced and you can make all of it. DO you have a sponsor yet? If you do get with him/her and they will show you how to make all of that equipment. If you dont have a sponsor hook up with a local falconer and ask them for some help with it. Falconry season is about to start again so most are getting their gear ready anyways and probably need to make some new gear as well.

good luck and keep us posted on your progress

EricADugan
07-31-2007, 02:55 PM
I took the falconry exam this morning at the Cal Dep Fish and Game office in Ontario. Scored 49/50 on it. The single question that I missed was the following:
Cramp is a disease most often observed in
a) Adult birds
b) Juvenile birds
c) downy chicks taken from the nest
d) all of the above

Since I had never heard of cramp and it wasnt in any of the study guides I used I missed it. The answer is c.

Well, Im on my way. Several more things to tie up before trapping season is here.
Eric

everetkhorton
07-31-2007, 03:51 PM
Eric:
Congratulation [smilie=icon_thumright.gif] There were 50 questions?
Trapping season is not far off.

Jimmy
07-31-2007, 03:52 PM
Only 50 questions?
We have 104 on ours..........

gabboon
07-31-2007, 04:08 PM
Only 50 questions?
We have 104 on ours..........

54 extra credit?

Jimmy
07-31-2007, 04:13 PM
None are extra credit.
100 are from the FEDs. And the state added 5. I meant to type 105 above. We have to score an 84 to pass. I thought all states had 100 questions on the test? I've always wondered when I heard people on the net talking about taking the test in 10 minutes.......

raptrlvr
07-31-2007, 04:21 PM
Congrats on passing the test Eric. You are on your way. Trapping season starts Oct 1st if I remember correctly. If I can be of any help or if you just want to hang out with the birds, let me know.

everetkhorton
07-31-2007, 04:35 PM
Jimmy:
Mi. is 100 questions and you have to have 80% to pass. Now that is when I took it and it took a long time because I have to chip stone.
[smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

gabboon
07-31-2007, 04:40 PM
None are extra credit.
100 are from the FEDs. And the state added 5. I meant to type 105 above. We have to score an 84 to pass. I thought all states had 100 questions on the test? I've always wondered when I heard people on the net talking about taking the test in 10 minutes.......

I think ours was 100 questions, but it took only ten minutes. I sat far longer as the proctor was on a conference call so I waited until he was done to hand it in. Meanwhile I played with some stuffed (taxidermed) animals in the room. I think it was a fox, turkey, rattlesnake and squirrel. Mr. Bill voice (SNL) and all. He kept trying not to laugh out loud.

CONGRATS on PASSING!!!!! Now you can sell that study guide on eBay.

EricADugan
07-31-2007, 05:19 PM
Yeah, it was only 50 questions that covered disease, raptor ecology, training, species identification, temperament, laws, feeding and maintenance, equipment, etc....
To be honest I found it quite easy, but then again I did put in alot of time studying. From here I will be puting the finishing touches on the inside of my mews and get a head start on building a couple of perches as well. I will post some pics when I get it done. Thanks again for all the help you guys have given me.
Eric

gabboon
07-31-2007, 07:25 PM
I will post some pics when I get it done.

good, then we can pick on you instead of Stewbutter!

KidK
07-31-2007, 07:30 PM
I will post some pics when I get it done.

good, then we can pick on you instead of Stewbutter!

...or gabboon..

Congratulations dude! Way to go!