PDA

View Full Version : Change in NAFA president

Richard F, Hoyer
11-18-2009, 02:29 AM
Less than three hours ago, I received a message indicating that Dan Cecchini will not be seeking re-election as NAFA president. I noted in the past that the NAFA board of directors selects the organization's president and the notice indicated the board will be doing so during the NAFA meet in Woodward, Oklahoma.

The selection of president by board members has the potential of establishing the 'good old boys' network that appears to have plagued the organization in recent years. I also noted that a number of years ago, there was a ballot measure that tried to have the situation changed whereby the membership choose the NAFA president. Despite a majority of falconers voting for a direct election, the measure failed to pass as apparently a super majority (2/3rds or 3/4ths) is needed to change the organization's by-laws.

I do not know what the pros and cons were at that time but perhaps others can fill me in.

Richard F. Hoyer

frootdog
11-18-2009, 02:32 AM
I do not know what the pros and cons were at that time but perhaps others can fill me in.

Richard F. Hoyer

Pros and cons of what? It's clear that the members by a vast majority would like a say in who the next pres is but due to the bylaws the required majority was not achieved (missed it just barely if I remember right).

Migisi
11-18-2009, 12:01 PM
Board appointment of the Prez has always been a point of contention for me. I'd like to know the reason why NAFA chose to do it that way in the first place. Anybody?

Ken S.
11-18-2009, 12:16 PM
Seems like this would be a good thread to start on the new NAFA forum to see if anyone "official" will weigh-in on it.

Lowachi
11-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Seems like this would be a good thread to start on the new NAFA forum to see if anyone "official" will weigh-in on it.

Yep, just the reason it's there.amennn

PeteJ
11-18-2009, 12:57 PM
Board appointment of the Prez has always been a point of contention for me. I'd like to know the reason why NAFA chose to do it that way in the first place. Anybody?
It seems to me that they pretty much always did the new presidential picking during the annual meet. It might be because in the early days their members were few and far between and could not be reliably counted on to get mail (ballots) back and forth...you know, the whole pony riders and indians thing! So, since most of the members back in the day usually made it to the meet and the board HAD to be there, they just did that way. I think we have to try to remember that back then the board was often composed of falconers with access to the govt. on many levels that common folk like us didn't have. So they were often privy to information that we needed desperately to keep the national club on track. But, in retrospect, I think that is how much of what that has gone wrong with NAFA in recent years has come about. The board thinking that the membership doesn't know anything about what is 'really' going on at the national level. Hence the god complex has been perpetuated and left the masses feeling like the board is not in touch with our needs and desires. It was a natural progression. They should have made some important changes about 15 years ago, that seems to have been the breaking point of technological advancement, better communication amongst clubs and members, etc.. Power is hard a thing to let go!

Migisi
11-18-2009, 01:20 PM
Yep, just the reason it's there.amennn

It's where? helpp

PeteJ
11-18-2009, 01:28 PM
It's where? helpp
I think he's saying that it should be discussed on the NAFA website.

Migisi
11-18-2009, 01:36 PM

If I'm not a member, do I have access?

PeteJ
11-18-2009, 01:46 PM
I doubt it. I'm not a member any more either.

Dirthawking
11-18-2009, 01:47 PM

NO, but to point out what Rich was saying is that is why the NAFA site has a forum.

Also if you are not a member, then does it really matter if people talk about it on the NAFA members forum. If you want to see change, become a member and make change happen.

Chris L.
11-18-2009, 01:48 PM

Yes,
This is a NAFA member issue and needs to be discussed there.

http://n-a-f-a.com/members/Forum.htm

As a side note, I will be creating a NAFA section . It will be for NON member information. All information that is important to NAFA members will be discussed there on the NAFA members forums .

Any topics on NAFEX that are NAFA member issues or topics, that are relevant to only NAFA members, will be closed and redirected to the NAFA forum.

All other NAFA info can be discussed in the new NAFA section on NAFEX.

all the best

Chris