PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Wisconsin

lucky7
07-18-2007, 01:49 PM
I have always been fascinated by the raptors and used to think about doing falconry when I was younger. Recently I came across that video of the golden eagle taking down a deer and that kind of rekindled my interest in the subject. I'm now looking around and researching all about this art. I plan on getting some books from the library and reading up on it as well as learning all I can off the internet and forums like this. I live in the Madison, Wi area. Is there anyone on here that lives near me so maybe I can get some exposure to this stuff? I don't think at this time I am ready financially or psychologically to take on falconry, but I would like to learn first hand what it takes so I will know how to prepare for a future hobby. Thanks.

everetkhorton
07-18-2007, 02:29 PM
Lucky7:
Go to the Wis. hawking club web site. In most cases there is a contact person on the site. Wis has a nice club. Contact your State Wildlife agency and fine out about the regulation in the State of Wi. Try and hook up with some of the falconers in the State. Right now there are a lot of picnic going on around the country. Alway offer to beat the bush. Find a field that can
be hunted and invite some falconers over. Welcome to the site, it is nice
to use your real name. How old are you and what other interest do you
have?
From the other side of the pond.

lucky7
07-18-2007, 02:42 PM
My real name is Ryan. I'm 28 years old. My other hobbies are long range rifle shooting, handloading ammunition. I also hunt deer and small game during the seasons and as I have time for it. I also like to run and lift weights to stay in shape. I have a feeling if I get into falconry that I'll have to cut down on some of my other activities to make time.

Other pets I have are two cats, one leopard gecko, one crested gecko. Plan to get a dog sometime in the future when I settle down a little more and don't do so much traveling. Just can't leave dogs alone like you can with cats and reptiles.

Joby
07-18-2007, 03:20 PM
Or Raptors!!!

`Chris L.
07-18-2007, 04:07 PM
Lucky,
Welcome to NAFEX. It is great you realize the responsibility of take care of a bird of prey. They do take a lot of time and you will have to find a balance between your other hobbies for sure. Pleaes let us know if you have any questions or need any help. Dont hesitate to post. The only way to learn is to ask questions

Also, we sign all of our posts with your real name. It helps keep the garbage off the site. Here is a link if you have any questions about it http://www.nafex.net/viewtopic.php?t=160

How did you find/hear about NAFEX? Was it a search engine or something else..

Again Welcome to NAFEX and please let us know if you need anything

goshawks00
07-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Chris I'm glad you posted this.... there is again because of lackness, another wave of folks that have come here under assumed names with no bio or history about themselves.

Chris you do a great job as I've said before and at least I'm will to step up and help make this site the best in can be...

IF and WHEN you do switch over and get a new start I hope you will REQUIRE ... all members ( remember if you build it they will come) full disclosure about themselves. If they can't be that honest with the general "membership", or take that much time, there must be a reason, and I can only let my mind wonder why.
Please consider this ernestly, thanks,
Barry

Jimmy
07-19-2007, 12:14 PM
IF and WHEN you do switch over and get a new start I hope you will REQUIRE ... all members ( remember if you build it they will come) full disclosure about themselves.

I agree. I like the fact that names are required. It gives a bit of credibility to the posts, and I believe has helped to keep some of the [smilie=bs.gif] off the forum. I don't mind the [smilie=bs.gif] when you at least know who it's coming from, but we've all seen what goes on on other forums where members can hide their identity.

wesleyc6
07-19-2007, 04:41 PM
Agreed here too!!!! Well said.

Some people are terrified of exposing their identity on the net. Let me tell you this to cause some paranoia and ease other. If someone wants to hack you, posting your first name on here will matter nothing to them. So those of you worried for that reason, please don't hold back.

Rudd
07-19-2007, 07:25 PM
I agree 100%. I have seen on other forums where someone is a boistorous loud mouth only because no harm is done since no one knows who they are. Fake names can always be given but those who aren't being upfront will be exposed with time.

everetkhorton
07-19-2007, 10:34 PM
Chris:

Here is another yes to have the name on any and all post. It is nice when
under the post. Some times the Avator is way off to one side so you have
to scroll to read the name. JMO

KidK
07-23-2007, 09:37 PM
[quote="lucky7"]My real name is Ryan. I'm 28 years old. My other hobbies are long range rifle shooting, handloading ammunition. I also hunt deer and small game during the seasons and as I have time for it. I also like to run and lift weights to stay in shape. I have a feeling if I get into falconry that I'll have to cut down on some of my other activities to make time.

Hey Ryan,

I am from Michigan but have spent quite a bit of time over in Wisconsin and have attended three of their winter field meets. They ususlly hold their major meet in Sun Prairie at McGoverns Hotel around the first weekend of February. The Wisconsin crew are a great bunch of people. Here is a link to their website:

http://wisconsinfalconers.org/

These guys put on a top knotch field meet with plenty of falcons, goshawks, redtails and harris hawks doing their thing. The raffle and entertainment night are a ball as well. And, you can usually get a few Linnies in you and laugh with the crew in the bar later that night. I have a bunch of great friends over there and I truely feel that Wisconsin is my second home.

Keep your eye on the website and plan on attending the meet. They will post details later this fall.

Take care,