PDA

View Full Version : new to this side of the water

leeshawks
11-28-2009, 05:03 PM
hi folks

new to this side of the pond, i have flown a few gosses and bred a few over the years, will be interested in reading some posts of how you boys do it over here.

lee featherstone

sharptail
11-29-2009, 12:41 AM
Greetings Lee,
I have seen some of your posts from the green isles, amazing Goshawks, Welcome!

leeshawks
11-29-2009, 05:59 AM
Greetings Lee,
I have seen some of your posts from the green isles, amazing Goshawks, Welcome!

thank you jeff, hope to be posting a few on this site, if any of you want to have a look at my goshawks then you can have a look at my website at www.leeshawksandcockers.9f.com (http://www.leeshawksandcockers.9f.com)

atb

lee

leeshawks
12-03-2009, 07:00 AM
hi

well bruno is my male albidus x buteodes he is doing very well, he had kill 93, just 2 days ago and we are of out shortly to hopefully catch the next 1 or 2, all mainly feathered game, i will hopefully be able to get some pics up later but dont have a add picture button ?? maybe i have to post more than 10 posts?? before i get the button.
bruno flies very well, he is an imprint, he flys anywhere between 2lb and 2lb 2 1/2 oz dependant on how often i can get out with him, his manners are excellent on the kill and he is fairly quiet now at home and in the field, hope to get semen from him as a brown bird to put into some nice females and hope to be flying a female produced from him next season, will let you all know how he does today later.

lee

FredFogg
12-03-2009, 07:25 AM
hi

well bruno is my male albidus x buteodes he is doing very well, he had kill 93, just 2 days ago and we are of out shortly to hopefully catch the next 1 or 2, all mainly feathered game, i will hopefully be able to get some pics up later but dont have a add picture button ?? maybe i have to post more than 10 posts?? before i get the button.
bruno flies very well, he is an imprint, he flys anywhere between 2lb and 2lb 2 1/2 oz dependant on how often i can get out with him, his manners are excellent on the kill and he is fairly quiet now at home and in the field, hope to get semen from him as a brown bird to put into some nice females and hope to be flying a female produced from him next season, will let you all know how he does today later.

lee

Lee, you can't just attach pictures on this forum like you do on the other one. Read this thread, it will tell you how to post pictures.

http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?t=1407

We love to see pictures, I really like ones of birds out hunting. :D

leeshawks
12-03-2009, 07:29 AM
Lee, you can't just attach pictures on this forum like you do on the other one. Read this thread, it will tell you how to post pictures.

http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?t=1407

We love to see pictures, I really like ones of birds out hunting. :D

thanks fred i shall do that when i get backm mate i have a few of him out on kills and action shots, so will post some soon,

thanks

lee

leeshawks
12-03-2009, 03:46 PM
went out this dinertime for the afternoon with bruno, had a eventful day with him and he was unlucky on 3 occasions having the quarry in his feet but losing it on the ground, walked the river bank and he had a couple of slips at some teal but they was up and away well in advance of us getting anywhere near standing half a chance but bruno wanted to have a go and beats siting on the glove not getting fit! so after 1/4 mile down the river across the other side a hen pheasant broke and bruno was off the glove cross the river, as he crossed a cock bird broke just infront of him and bang a big cloud of feathers, yes but then sh it i got to get to the other side which was gonna be a good jog, the river was up so no chance of crossing it, then the cackling of a cock bird i looked across to see bruno take stance in a tree, he had lost it, called him back to the glove and set off again, there was no mallard at all on the river which is unusual so headed over the bridge and back through the long grass field to see what we could find, nothing at all quartered the field and was there ages searching for a slip. headed for the trees which is a big plantation of rows and rows of tree's normally stuff knocking about in there, jay was working her socks of and put out some rabbits infact plenty of them, bruno buzzed a few of them but never committed, he just dont like the fur dont know why but he will chase them and then when he could nail them pulls up but he is flying and pumping his chest so it serves a purpose. we come to some really rough cover and jay pointed the cover, sent her in and out comes a cock bird, bruno was hard on it and after 250 yards they both crashed into the hedge row, i ran like hell as i knew there was a ditch under it that was probably full with water, got to the bit they crashed through and bruno was right in the middle of the ditch up to his chest in the water but he wouldnt come out i thought that he may have had the pheasant under the water so in i went and felt but he had clumps of grass, got him out the ditch and stood there for a while with thewind blowing through him, he was soaked through, headed onto the quarry to see what we could find there thinking he was gonna struggle now as he was soaked, run ja through some reed beds which are normally dry but where now holding water and 4 ducks broke bruno was straight on them for being wet he moved bloody quick, he hit a drake about 20 feet up in the air and landed back in the middle of it all, he was wet through now and i was gonna get wet having to go in and get them out, i could here them fighting whilst trying to decide whether to get me kit of or just get in there and bruno come out the water, he had lost it, couldnt find the duck and it never left there so it was deep in the reeds i reckon. bruno was truly soaked to the skin and thought that was the end of it, i stood with him for a while whilst i had a fag and walked to the top of a mound as the wind was pretty strong today he started to dry, i had probably a good mile back to the motor so headed of, as we come of the edge of the quarry brunos head was bobbing like mad and all of a sudden a covey of partridge got up, 5 of them bruno singled one out and wasnt far behind it, we was in a dip and as the partridge come to the edge it went up and hit the head wind it dramatically slowed and bruno had closed the gap, as he went up he slowed when he hit the wind head on, they both dissappeared over the bank, i ran as fast as i could got to the edge and couldnt see them, could hear bells in the distance and headed towards the sound, found him on the floor with a pile of feathers at a rabbit hole entrance, bummer he lost another one. we had one more slip on the way back to the motor which was a good distance but had no chance with the wind now getting stronger, he tree'd up and i called him back to the lure which he came instant to and he had half a quail on it and that was that.
a good work out for sure which i wanted but just a shame he never finished on a kill. a good day hunting with him though,

lee

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn66/leeshawks/birdshunting004.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn66/leeshawks/birdshunting082.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn66/leeshawks/birdshunting245.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn66/leeshawks/birdshunting048.jpg

barnaby
12-03-2009, 04:09 PM
hi lee
ul find it good reding on this forum . its kwiet good

leeshawks
12-03-2009, 04:28 PM
hi lee
ul find it good reding on this forum . its kwiet good

cheers barny fancy meeting you here (dog)

barnaby
12-04-2009, 07:17 AM
cheers barny fancy meeting you here (dog)

ther les bichy on this siet i liek reding ther storis and wot the us lads get up to wen hunting and . traping ther hawks and falcons , wel jelus ov them lol

leeshawks
12-04-2009, 03:31 PM
ther les bichy on this siet i liek reding ther storis and wot the us lads get up to wen hunting and . traping ther hawks and falcons , wel jelus ov them lol

very shy these boys not one post from any except fred!

Tanner
12-04-2009, 03:57 PM
I'll bite. Have you seen a bird like Bruno as an adult? I wonder what he'll turn out like--is this crossing what makes the powder blue variety? (I am obviously not a gos connoisseur, but I do like them!) I really like the light pattern on the back of his neck.

If you want to stir the pot, post some video. Cheers.

leeshawks
12-04-2009, 05:51 PM
I'll bite. Have you seen a bird like Bruno as an adult? I wonder what he'll turn out like--is this crossing what makes the powder blue variety? (I am obviously not a gos connoisseur, but I do like them!) I really like the light pattern on the back of his neck.

If you want to stir the pot, post some video. Cheers.

hi i havent any video of him, my camera needs updating! i,ve seen a male not quite as pale as bruno and he has moulted out very pale silver, i think bruno will too, should be nice looking after a decent moult, will try and get some video shots of him this weekend,

lee

hawking
12-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Hey Lee welcome over to the other sideamennn I think you will find it a very different enviroment.

leeshawks
12-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Hey Lee welcome over to the other sideamennn I think you will find it a very different enviroment.

thanks i look forward to reading it all!

lee