PDA

View Full Version : New Hawk Chalk Editor

Kenn Filkins
12-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Hello Current and Past NAFA Members:

Below is an article -- coming out in the Dec. Hawk Chalk -- about me becoming the new editor of the HC.

I am interested in hearing ways that NAFex members think the HC can be improved.

I want to hear if the HC impacted the decision of any former NAFA member to not rejoin the club. Or, if the HC could inspire anyone to become a NAFA member again.

Please do not post these on this thread. Email me at hawkchalkeditor@yahoo.com

Please, note in your email if you're a current or past NAFA member.

Thanks for your help with this request.

kenn

---------------------
Kenn Filkins to edit the Hawk Chalk

Longtime falconer, author, editor, NAFA member and former NAFA Officer, Kenn Filkins, of Michigan, will take the reins as Hawk Chalk Editor as of the April, 2010 issue.

"I thank Danny and all of the past Hawk Chalk editors for their vision, hard work and dedication to NAFA and its members," Filkins said. "I will try to measure-up to their high standard."

Filkins wants to build on the positive work of former Hawk Chalk editors and expand its impact and usefulness for NAFA members. Filkins said, he will especially encourage a greater connection and interaction between the print version of the Hawk Chalk and the NAFA website. For instance, he will work toward having the Director's reports published on-line so that NAFA members can interact with their Directors directly through on-line comments, concerns and questions. Directors can then reply to the members on important issues and not have to wait until the next issue of the Hawk Chalk. Filkins wants more hawking stories and how-to articles included in the Hawk Chalk.

Another example of connecting the Hawk Chalk with the NAFA website is publishing an article on removable anklets and asking members to post examples, patterns, photos and experiences about removable anklets on the NAFA site.

"I want to see a partnership between the Hawk Chalk and website, not unlike what we see in the newspaper industry today," said Filkins the Editor of a daily newspaper. "My goal is to create more communication between NAFA officers and the members through the Hawk Chalk. Every NAFA member is welcome to email me about their concerns and ideas to make the Hawk Chalk and communication better."

Filkins has been a falconer and NAFA member since 1980. His past falconry birds include red-tailed hawks, short-wings, long-wings and baywing hawks. He has written five successful books (two of which have been reprinted, including the one on fly fishing) and won writing awards. Filkins edited the NAFA book, "Bond with the Wild." For nearly 10 years, he has been the editor of the daily newspaper for the eastern third of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. He has written hundreds of magazine articles on hunting, fishing, falconry and Christian topics. Kenn and his wife, Marti, own an action photography company where they shoot all manner of sports. They specialize at ice hockey. Filkins has also served as a NAFA Officer as the New Member Secretary. He has also been the president of the Indiana and Iowa falconry clubs. Filkins is the preacher of the Donaldson Church.

Kenn Filkins
533 Maple St.
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-635-7406
Email: hawkchalkeditor@yahoo.com

Filkins Fotos website: www.filkinsfoto.com (http://www.filkinsfoto.com/)

Sault Evening News: www.sooeveningnews.com (http://www.sooeveningnews.com/)

Filkins books include: "Comfort those that Mourn," "A Comforting Word," "Fly Fishing for Salmon & Steelhead of the Great Lakes," "Characters of Calvary," and "Seven Sayings One Friday."

---------------
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn122/jaakmerlin/kennW3hawksWEB.jpg

Photo Caption
Photo courtesy of Marti Filkins
Future Hawk Chalk Editor, Kenn Filkins, of Sault Ste. Marie, MI, holds his trio of Harris Hawks, from left: "Samwise," an '08 male; "Gabriella," an '09 female, and "Sadie," an '09 female.

redtailnut
12-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Hi kenn welcome to the fold guess we will be communicating soon!

Mike.
UK Membership Liason.

Kenn Filkins
12-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Thanks Mike,

I look forward to it!

everetkhorton
12-07-2009, 09:47 PM
Kenn:
Welcome aboard, I know it will be a pleasure working with you in the future. I am sure you are already working on the Apr. HC.

kimmerar
12-07-2009, 11:07 PM
Congrats Kenn. I can't wait to see the April HC.

Zarafia
12-07-2009, 11:22 PM
You will do great Kenn.
I've been dragging my heels about renewing. But I think I will have to now LOL.

sharptail
12-07-2009, 11:39 PM
Hi again Ken,
I forgot to include, as requested, that I am a current nafa member! Thanks again for taking on the task, we look forward to the arrival of the hawk chalks everytime at my house!

Lowachi
12-08-2009, 12:56 AM
And now I know where to send my yard comments/thanks<VBG>.

Dirthawking
12-08-2009, 01:11 AM
And now I know where to send my yard comments/thanks<VBG>.

amennn

Roper
12-08-2009, 01:16 AM
cool beans

frootdog
12-08-2009, 02:37 AM
Congrats! beeer

sakerjack
12-08-2009, 09:09 AM
Good luck Kenn.

Kenn Filkins
12-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Thanks to all of you for your support and well-wishes....

I think I'm going to need it.... haill

everetkhorton
12-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Make sure your mailing address is current so you can get your Apr. HC. Go on line in the member only sec. of the NAFA web site to check. Also renewal time is coming up. ;)

Flatwater Falconer
12-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Best wishes Kenn. Let us know how we can help out. :D

NMHighPlains
12-08-2009, 11:30 PM
I am interested in hearing ways that NAFex members think the HC can be improved.

Hard to say- I still read the thing cover to cover. It needs to continue with a good variety of stories, news, discussion, and etc. So much of that depends on input from members, though.

I think you're going to have your hands full just rolling with the flow. :) Get a couple of issues out and then let's see what we've got.

Oh, and actually, the publications play a large part in KEEPING me with NAFA. Speaking just for m'self, of course.