PDA

View Full Version : Here is my new bird

mosman
12-21-2009, 11:48 PM
If this works,,,lol

http://i417.phhttp://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp251/Mosman64/724.jpghttp://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp251/Mosman64/707.jpgtobucket.com/albums/pp251/Mosman64/715.jpg

everetkhorton
12-22-2009, 12:35 AM
Terry:
Nice looking bird! Congratulation clapp

harrishawk_79
12-22-2009, 01:07 AM
congrats on the new bird wheres the trapping story and the trap weight we want more we want more he he he congrats

mosman
12-22-2009, 08:32 AM
Lol Harold, its a long trapping story so I need a day or so. I was just trying to get the picture posting down before I typed it all up. Still trying to figure out how to post multiple pictures on one thread... Thanks also Ev,, Been a tough year for me this year, well,, more a challenge then tough....

Terry

harrishawk_79
12-22-2009, 09:18 AM
oh a all day thing huh i under stand tis is normwlly where we would reply sying i have the time but its your lucky day i dont have to time today for the long story so we can settle up with some more pics he he he and the easy way of posting pics is make a photbucket account its free then click share the pic u want to share and click and copy the code that says forums and board code and past it into the message well congrats on a fine and beautiful bird and enjoy the rest of your wonferful season

cllhawker
12-22-2009, 02:44 PM
Thats a nice RT! hows it going so far with the hunting?rtsqrl

mosman
12-23-2009, 10:00 AM
Well lets start at the beginning, This year has been a tough one so far. My intermewed passage bird was just finishing his molt when the season started here. He had about 1 inch of the last primary to grow in when the season started and was doing great, took him out opening morning with no luck at all, feed him up after hunting and then found him dead in the corner of his mews 2 days later.
So, off to trapping we went after like spending the next month finishing some projects around the house. Spent several weeks trying to find a good passage bird which seem to all but disappear, Finally found bird #2 late one afternoon along a back road at the edge of town. Had my 2 year old Grand daughter out looking for "Nemo" as she calls them all. Had a perfect set up on the bird. thru the trap out across a small country road directly acroos from the bird and went down and turned around and waited. It took the bird about 15 minutes to decide it wanted the rat in the trap. Flew straight down NEXT to the trap and spent around 5 minutes watching the rat. Of course when the bird was down the cars started to come by, but the bird didnt bump. Finally commited and got hung up with 4 nooses.
Brought him home got all his gear on and started the training. Everything went real smooth with this bird. Got to the point I was trying to get him to follow along and he was doing good. Made it to the end of the block with the bird following great at the tops of the trees. made it to the corner and started calling him down but, you guessed it, NO luck. Went for the lure to find that I had dropped it in the garage. The bird looked over the house and locked his wings and was gone.... Spent a day and a half looking for him with no luck at, never seen him once. So the trap comes out again....

And now the weather decides to star acting up, First day it poured rain all day long, had my two older sons with me because the came down to visit before joining the army. Could not get a single bird to budge in the rain at all.
Day two, 35 mph winds all day. had a couple come down and land by the trap but no takers.
Day 3 went from 50s -60s to 15% with a little wind. Got out today at daybreak. drove and drove and drove. around noon started seeing more birds. had a couple come down and either do the chicken walk around it or just stand and look at it. This is day 5 of all day in the car looking for them, I could tell the boys where getting tired of not seeing anything and asked if they wanted to call it quits, my oldest, who has never trapped with me, said lets keep going till we trap one.
Off we go down the back roads again. Drove by bird #3 and thought it was a Hag, turned around and took a better look to find out it was a passage bird. turned around once again and drove by and tossed the trap, good set, close and in the open. went down and waited. Didnt take long at all, bird stared at the trap about 5 minutes, not looking at anything else. Locked his wings and glided straight to the trap and landed right on top. Went right to footing it like crazy and got hung up. We blasted off down the roads and swarmed the bird, she had only 1 noose one the back toe. Socked her up, hood,secured her feet and weighed her She weighed 1230 grams and looked good. Got her home and all her gear on..
So maybe i will get to hunt the last couple a months this year....
I will try and post more pics also... Told ya it was a long story...LOL

mosman
12-23-2009, 10:04 AM
http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp251/Mosman64/715.jpg

mosman
12-23-2009, 10:05 AM
http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp251/Mosman64/670.jpg
http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp251/Mosman64/672.jpg

mosman
12-23-2009, 10:14 AM
http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp251/Mosman64/694.jpg
http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp251/Mosman64/681.jpg
http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp251/Mosman64/675.jpg

mosman
12-24-2009, 09:35 AM
Well yesterday was ANOTHER bummer day, was doing alittle manning with my bird. Had shortend her jesses and was holding the rope in my hand, she bated off my fist and she rolled her jesses into the snap, when she hit the end she broke the snap. And off she went. Flew up into a tree about 65 feet up in the back yard. she was just starting to lure train and was fat from the day before. Got the lure and started swing, she wanted to come just not hungry enough. I spent 2 and a half hours swinging the lure to her. It was getting late and I was hoping she would either come down or settle for the night, I was taking a break and watching her and waiting, and waiting..... About a hour before sunset she locked her wings and set sail over the hills. Jumped in the truck and headed after her, looked and looked and swung the lure and blew the whistle till dark.. No luck... The part that bites is about 1 hour before she got off I had just dispatched ALL of my live rats because they had gotten to big... This year sucksssss

zx2run
12-24-2009, 01:56 PM
That's a bummer! Hopefully things go better for you next season!

Good luck

borderhawk
12-24-2009, 02:20 PM
Sorry to hear that. One of the main reasons I've gotten away from snaps, outside of field use for a hunting bird. Extender directly looped through the jesses is all I use anymore.
Just to be clear... the jesses broke out of the snap, right? They're not still hooked to together?

mosman
12-24-2009, 06:42 PM
Well finally some good news,,, I found her.. Went back out this morning in the pouring rain and looked for hours, spotted a passage bird and finally got binos on it and found out it wasnt my bird. Drove back to a spot I thought she might be and was surprised to see her sitting in a tree by one of the schools close to my house. Then the games began again, lured for about three hours in the pouring rain, I was soaked thru and thru. Finally Called a friend that had a bunch of gerbils. he got to the spot I was at and as he was walking up to us she bummed. This game went on for a few minutes, she finally settled in a tree about 150 feet from the road, we put the trap out with 2 gerbils in it and backed off. We drove off so she could feel secure she was alone, checked on her to find that she was facing the trap finally, off we went again for about 10 minutes. When we came back we found her dancing around on the trap. it took her FOREVER to get hung up. She actually got hung up when she was leaving the trap. Man I am so relieved to have her back in the mews drying out......

mosman
12-24-2009, 06:49 PM
And yes Michelle, she broke the snap its self. And her jesses were together with w swivel, The swivel was what got caugt in the trap. Thats why I was so frantic. All of my snappes are getting pitched in the trash and I am going to direct line to line connections from now on. I dont ever want to go thru this again.... Like I said, this one worried me sick,and taught me a very valueble lesson...

Justin Monroe
12-24-2009, 06:55 PM
That's cool. You caught a bird and didn't have to put Anklets or Jesses on it ;)

james morrisontoxic2
02-05-2010, 05:07 PM
lovely looking bird mate

cllhawker
02-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Its good to hear you got your bird back dude! Thank god shes ok. How is she doing now?
rtsqrl

mosman
02-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Cody,
She is doing great, she is a dream bird, no bad habits and a joy to hunt with. If the weather would ever level out, we could try and finish off the year on a good note. the first squirrel she got she caught it off the fist...

cllhawker
02-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Terry,
That is awesome. Hopefully you will have good weather to go out in for the rest of the season. Id love to see more pics of her if you ever got the chance?
rtsqrl