PDA

View Full Version : Hawking in Huston, Mont Belvieu Texas Area

Roper
01-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Any falconers down in the Mont Belvieu Texas area as I might be headed that way soon ?
Or can anybody tell me what the area is like etc...

crbhawking
01-05-2010, 10:04 PM
pm sent

Roper
01-05-2010, 10:09 PM
cody when did you send it , I did not receive one yet as of 1/5/10 8:09pm

crbhawking
01-06-2010, 08:41 PM
ya it's not working so just give me a call

713 732 7655

Roper
01-06-2010, 10:45 PM
cody .. cool beans got your pm today at about 8:30 pm.. I appreciate the responce and the invite...
Now if I can put everything together and get my horse trailor unbarried from all the snow that fell on it off of the shop building . and then get it packed up and hopefully get the birds, the horses, and the dog and etc etc.. etc.. ..
I understand that it is quite cool border line cold down there right now..
.. what is the terrain like down there.. are you hunting on private land ..can you give me the low down
what is the town or the area of Mont Belviue like ?
what are you guys hawking where your at.. jacks , bunnies ???
etc...
again really appreciate the invite...

crbhawking
01-06-2010, 11:39 PM
Well where you're staying is going to be mild in temp. cause you're right near the ocean( but so is all of Houston), and may get swampy in areas, but where we hunt is usually thorny mounds of thorns on private lands, and should be ok thick however with these colds it's been thinning out nicely. Just depends on the fields and what you're hunting sometimes it's squirrels, mostly rabbits, and most feilds are pretty wet, sort of depends though on rain and again the individual fields.

Roper
01-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Cody
so is it rubber boots calf high or should i throw in a pair of hip boots.
just want to be prepaired type thing..
briars and cactus type thing I usually put on a pair of leather leggins we call "chinks". they are basically chaps but not full legged ones .. a lot of cowboys use them as apposed to a full chap due to the chap being hotter.
watching the weather on TV they are saying you guys are about -21 degrees colder than normal.. but I bet I can live with that as it is about -9 here today and blowing & snowin. I must be getting use to it cause I ran outside to let the horses out for their evening feeding in just a sweat shirt and jeans.. lol

crbhawking
01-07-2010, 12:24 PM
oh no not that swampy. You can usually just wear boots but because of the rain you may want some that go to the base of the knee or less. And when are you planning on coming down

Roper
01-07-2010, 08:06 PM
cody
I have hopefull plans on getting out of here next week.. I was waiting for my health papers to come in for my horses .. the faxed copies showed up on my desk today in my office.. We own a masonry restoration company,, brick repairs, caulking windows, tuckpointing etc.. although my men are not working right now .. I dont seem to get away from it. Things aare being bid in the off season and i seem to have a lot of paper work for the projects we are on .. i would like to get that all wrapped up before I head out of here.. In addition it appears that you guys are on a bit of the chill side of things..
for years i use to go to Stephanville Tx .. alot of times in January i froze my ass of down there.. it could be 40 degrees and wet cold . I remember sitting in the resurant frustrated that we could not rope as it was raining and the pens were a mess. anyways the morning papers said "Pheonix sunny and 75degrees .. so in turn we started going onver there. but it was nice when my son was going with me and stuff now he is married and has little desire to make that trip . it usually takes us 3 days of driving to get there first trip is to Witchita KA , we can stay there at the fair grounds or pull into the cattle pens right off the toll way..
the next leg we usually make Alberquake (sp?) NM and stay in the fair grounds one night or push on to Presscot AZ and stay in the fair grounds there. everything is geard toward getting the horses comfortable and letting them out to walk around etc... then the next day we make the final legg into Casa Grande AZ or where ever we are staying at. it is a haul.. and now I usually do it by myself.. My wife will fly into and stay for about 1-2 weeks but it can get a little boring sometimes .. you can actually get tired of riding horses with roping calves in the morning, roping steers in the afternoon and then going hawking .. you can actually get tired of doing the things you like to do.lol

but anyways I am trying to get things done so i can leave for a while I am trying to get out of here maybe next week.. I just have to deside if I want to south or southwest... southwest is more expensive but it is warmer and consistantly warmer.. south is less expensive but not as warm . I need to put it on paper and way out which way to go...

frootdog
01-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Why not stop on by the THA meet next weekend? In Abilene.

http://www.texashawking.org/2010THAMeet.htm

crbhawking
01-08-2010, 12:37 AM
yep a bunch of the Houston falconers will be in Abilene and if you are coming down here why not stop at the meet for a weekend or just a night along the way, it really is fun and well worth it, and you can see falconry from all over Texas

cllhawker
01-08-2010, 12:47 AM
yea you should reall stop by Abilene on your way threw? it is going to be worth it! This year is going to be my first year to go and i am verrryyyy exited.
stupd

ukroper
01-08-2010, 01:32 PM
QUOTE:Roper;
can actually get tired of riding horses with roping calves in the morning, roping steers in the afternoon and then going hawking..

BULLS##T.....toungeoutcrazyytoungeout

cllhawker
01-08-2010, 02:10 PM
QUOTE:Roper;
can actually get tired of riding horses with roping calves in the morning, roping steers in the afternoon and then going hawking..

BULLS##T.....toungeoutcrazyytoungeout
if you loved to sport of falconry, i dont think you would get tired of hawking? Thats is BS

Roper
01-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Ok Cody and Gary let me ask you this
name your favorite food for me....
got it ....ok .. so if you had to eat it all the time you would get tired of it .. that is all I am saying.
before you step off your high horse , I suggest you make sure you have a horse to step off of.. and its not a donkey.
;)

cllhawker
01-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Yes I probrably would get tired of the same food, but not FALCONRY!!! Its my life and never seems to get old or tirering.
amennn

Roper
01-08-2010, 11:38 PM
not to be negative .. stop lets start over .. Hey i really apreciate the invite.. it seems a little out of my way, not that I have to be any place reall specific but isnt it more of a gathering .. I here the game is a little slim there.. or is that just gossip.. I will have to see when and if i get out of here.. I think things are opening up it sure is damn cold here but it will warm up next week into the 20's they say...clappI might be able to even get the harris out and fly her.

cllhawker
01-08-2010, 11:47 PM
Yes it is supose to start warming up by next weekclapp and thats good that you might be able to get your harris hawk out! Ever flown her after ducks or pigeons?
rtsqrl

Roper
01-09-2010, 12:07 AM
c
never flown here after pigions, yes I have flown her on ducks.. but not enough to wet her on them .. usually by the time we can get the ducks gathered up in the open water up here , it is usually quite cold . but ya I like to try ducks and pheasants .. bunnies are fine but after the 100rds of bunnies we have killed i like to try other things.. kind of back to eatin the same type of food all the time if ya get my drift..
if I had my choice I would like to go back to flyin a gos hawk. I am sure kickin that idea around again...never have flown an imprint just passage birds.

cllhawker
01-09-2010, 12:15 AM
Gos hawks are beasts. Accepiters are my all time favorite BOPs and my sponsor is flying a passage male coop and i love hawking with him and the coop. we mainly hunt pigeons, starlings and sparrows with him. Once my apprentice years are over im going straight to a female coops or gosamennn.

Tasha55403
01-09-2010, 12:24 AM
c
never flown here after pigions, yes I have flown her on ducks.. but not enough to wet her on them .. usually by the time we can get the ducks gathered up in the open water up here , it is usually quite cold . but ya I like to try ducks and pheasants .. bunnies are fine but after the 100rds of bunnies we have killed i like to try other things.. kind of back to eatin the same type of food all the time if ya get my drift..
if I had my choice I would like to go back to flyin a gos hawk. I am sure kickin that idea around again...never have flown an imprint just passage birds.

That's one of the great things about falconry-when you get a little bored with hunting bunnies, you get a falcon and stare at snow...get bored with that, pick up a merlin and chase dickey birds, get bored with that get an imprint sharpie and chase more dickey birds, get frustrated with that get a redtail and chase bunnies again...the list goes on and on, lol:) There's always something new to try and more to learn.

cllhawker
01-09-2010, 12:29 AM
That's one of the great things about falconry-when you get a little bored with hunting bunnies, you get a falcon and stare at snow...get bored with that, pick up a merlin and chase dickey birds, get bored with that get an imprint sharpie and chase more dickey birds, get frustrated with that get a redtail and chase bunnies again...the list goes on and on, lol:) There's always something new to try and more to learn.
thats probrably true! LOL I still think RTs are the best falconry bird for anyone who does the sport.
rtsqrl

frootdog
01-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Hey i really apreciate the invite.. it seems a little out of my way, not that I have to be any place reall specific but isnt it more of a gathering .. I here the game is a little slim there.. or is that just gossip

Lets put it this way all the Houston guys are going to be in Abilene next weekend so there won't be anyone to show you around....... The game has its ups and downs. As far as bunnies we have never not found them. Jacks you have to go a bit farther to find.

cllhawker
01-09-2010, 06:15 PM
Lets put it this way all the Houston guys are going to be in Abilene next weekend so there won't be anyone to show you around....... The game has its ups and downs. As far as bunnies we have never not found them. Jacks you have to go a bit farther to find.
LOL actually, most falconers in Texas will be going to the Meet next weekend. I know for a fact that all Houston falconers will be up there.
rtsqrl

ukroper
01-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Ok Cody and Gary let me ask you this
got it ....ok .. so if you had to eat it all the time you would get tired of it .. that is all I am saying.
before you step off your high horse , I suggest you make sure you have a horse to step off of.. and its not a donkey.
;)

beeermooonmooonbeeer

frootdog
01-09-2010, 06:28 PM

beeer Beer. Haven't got tiered of it yet!

cllhawker
01-09-2010, 06:29 PM
beeermooonmooonbeeer
Do you fly a Gos?
rtsqrl

ukroper
01-09-2010, 06:36 PM
beeer Beer. Haven't got tiered of it yet!

:D

Do you fly a Gos?
rtsqrl

I try :eek:

ukroper
01-09-2010, 06:41 PM
:D

I try :eek:

Nearly as well as i rope......

(I dare ya slipka..no..i double dare ya!!!...) ;)

cllhawker
01-09-2010, 06:42 PM
lol what do you mean by, you "try"?:eek:
rtsqrl

Tasha55403
01-15-2010, 05:25 PM

Lol:)

Roper
01-15-2010, 06:17 PM
thatlle do donkey , thatlle do.

Roper
01-15-2010, 08:05 PM
well guys i was not able to leave on Friday morning like I had planned .. looks like I wont get out of here until Sunday or Monday So I will miss the meet.. but I really appreciate the invite guys

crbhawking
01-18-2010, 05:05 PM
Yes I probrably would get tired of the same food, but not FALCONRY!!! Its my life and never seems to get old or tirering.
amennn

thats probrably true! LOL I still think RTs are the best falconry bird for anyone who does the sport.
rtsqrl
Ok not trying to be mean Cody but you can't be saying such broad statements as someone that has never flown a bird. Nor have you had the expierence of doing falconry 24/7 like a few of the guys on here do for a living, so you can't say you would never get bored of it. I have heard many bird abatement guys say it ruined falconry for them and now it's a job not a hobby. So you can get bored of falconry.

Roper
01-18-2010, 09:15 PM
:D;):D

Roper
01-18-2010, 09:17 PM
Now it looks like Wednesday.. after 1:00 pm in the afternoon. Looks like I am going to have to go to a meeting..

Roper
01-18-2010, 09:18 PM
so how did the meet go in abilene TX ?? have not seen anything posted...

crbhawking
01-18-2010, 10:04 PM
went well there were ok duck conditions and from what I can tell slim rabbit conditions, pretty typical, but fun was had by all

GregMik
01-18-2010, 10:35 PM

You rope like crap!!! I have pics to prove it!

But I know you fly a Gos well! I have heard stories anyway!:Dhaill

Greg

GregMik
01-18-2010, 10:38 PM
well guys i was not able to leave on Friday morning like I had planned .. looks like I wont get out of here until Sunday or Monday So I will miss the meet.. but I really appreciate the invite guys

It was awesome that I could hook up with you David and to see you catch a squirrel in fine fashion. I need to download the pics and see if I got any of it!

Greg