PDA

View Full Version : Hay-lo from Georgia

Kaisa
01-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Hi there. I'm pretty bad with introductions, hopefully I won't bore ya'll to tears to much.

I'm Kaisa, a young pre-apprentice with an avid passion for falconry. Ever since fourth grade I've wanted to become a falconer, and I've never ceased to be dedicated to the sport, it's something I'd love to spend my life doing, and something I plan to accomplish. I plan on starting out with a Red-tailed, but that's still awhile off. I love thinking of it though, and I can't wait until I'm out in the field.

Other then that, I also consider myself an artist, an avid reader, and I all around love animals. I plan on going to college for Ornothology or Zoology. I do live down in Georgia, I don't have much of an accent but I'm rather proud of being a southern-er. ;P

So, uh yeah. I get kind of nervous around really big forums like this, but this is the first active Falconry forum I have found and I'm interested in becoming part of the community.

tony123abc
01-08-2010, 04:38 PM
WELCOME.(welc)

Ross.Spafford
01-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Hi and Welcome,

You should come to the GFA meet.

http://www.georgiafalconryassociation.com/Events/fieldmeet.htm

Kaisa
01-08-2010, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the welcome both of you. (:

I was thinking of going to the GFA meet, but I haven't really talked to any other falconers from Georgia (any on the forum that wouldn't mind talking with me?) and it would be a bit awkward for me. It is on my mind though.

tony123abc
01-08-2010, 06:20 PM
Tells us, what do you know of falconry? And if you are a student, I am assuming H.S., are your parents okay with you writing to/soliciting strangers on an open forum? I know I would not be with my kids unless I was supervising.

thunderheartiii
01-08-2010, 06:53 PM
Kaisa,

Hello and (welc) to NAFEX. We all here also sign our posts with at least a first name. You can set up a signature by going through the User CP in the top tool bar. :D Again, welcome.

everetkhorton
01-08-2010, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the welcome both of you. (:

I was thinking of going to the GFA meet, but I haven't really talked to any other falconers from Georgia (any on the forum that wouldn't mind talking with me?) and it would be a bit awkward for me. It is on my mind though.

Kaisa:
Go to the GA meet. IF you want to get a jump on thing while at the meet buy a item off the NAFEX site that is on here. I am sure when someone see you wearing the item, well I think the rest will be history. Not knowing your age, I would suggest that your parents tag along with you just so they know what they are in for. I know if they go with you, it will feel like they are tagging along. You will have a blast for sure. If you pass this up it maybe some time before the group gets together again.
(welc) and have fun!

Kaisa
01-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the welcomes everyone. :)

Tony: How much do I know? That's a bit hard to sum up. I know enough that I could probably do well on the falconry exam, but not to pass it. I'm very aware I still have a lot to learn, but I don't mind. If I'm going to learn enough to be a good falconer, I need to be willing to learn all there is. And my mom doesn't really mind, in fact, she's very aware some of my best friends of mine have come from places on the internet (I actually have a friend coming down from NJ to see me, hopefully.) We're an internet family, she's used to it. Even at that, I'm very careful about what kind of info I give out on the internet. I know how to be safe. (:

Everet: Maybe I will, is there anyone I would need to email to let them know I might be coming? That's the only thing that's really kept me from going places, I never know if there's anyone I should ask first, I wouldn't want to show up anywhere unwelcome. Other then that, I'd be really interested in meeting and interacting with other falconers from Georgia, which would be one of the main reasons I'd go to the meet. (And for seeing all the birds, of course!)

FredFogg
01-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Contact one of the folks on the link below and explain to them that you are interested in going to the meet to talk to other falconers.

http://www.georgiafalconryassociation.com/apprenticeship.htm

One of the things you will have to do to become a falconer is get over your shyness of approaching folks about becoming a falconer. I know shyness is tough to overcome, but most falconers keep to themselves so they don't go out there looking for folks to chat with about falconry. Also, following the advice of falconers and especially, your sponser is the most important thing. Like being asked to sign your post, it is little things like that that will determine to a potential sponser your ability to follow their advice.

Good luck and have fun and go to the meet, you will have a blast!

Kaisa
01-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Yeah, I do tend to be kind of shy, hehe. Anyway, yeah, I'll send one of them an email. I'd really like to go, and I'm sure I'd enjoy it. And thanks for the advice. (:

everetkhorton
01-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Kaisa:
You may want to get good beating stick and a set of brush pants or chaps. Game hawking can always use more brush beaters. (dog)

sevristh
01-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Hi and Welcome,

You should come to the GFA meet.

http://www.georgiafalconryassociation.com/Events/fieldmeet.htm

Ross....

She said she wanted to learn about falconry... Not learn how to enjoy a banquet and the proper methods of showing a bird at Buck-A-Rama... ;)

cllhawker
01-09-2010, 06:50 PM
(welc)Kaisa