PDA

View Full Version : Just a beginner

Robert214
01-12-2010, 02:24 AM
Hello all, I guess I should repost as nobody has responded to my first one. My name is Robert and I live in Copperton, Utah, just a bit south and west of Salt Lake City, near the copper mine. I am interested in getting involved with falconry. So is my teen son. I have been reading and getting familiar with "The Modern Apprentice" as well as other online information and even with all the warnings about time and cost, I am still intrigued. With all the nature in this area so close to us, I want to get even closer. Falconry will accomplish this goal as well as form a new bond with my son that we can share for a lifrtime. I plan on going to the Utah Sky Trials in Rush valley so I hope to meet several people and getting involved that way as well. I would like to know if there are any active sponsors in the SLC, Tooele or Grantsville area that might be interested in taking on some new comers. Thanks and good hunting. Robert

zero
01-12-2010, 02:33 AM
Welcome Robert:D

Sounds like you are on the right path......Good luck

KidK
01-12-2010, 05:08 AM
Hello all, I guess I should repost as nobody has responded to my first one. My name is Robert and I live in Copperton, Utah, just a bit south and west of Salt Lake City, near the copper mine. I am interested in getting involved with falconry. So is my teen son. I have been reading and getting familiar with "The Modern Apprentice" as well as other online information and even with all the warnings about time and cost, I am still intrigued. With all the nature in this area so close to us, I want to get even closer. Falconry will accomplish this goal as well as form a new bond with my son that we can share for a lifrtime. I plan on going to the Utah Sky Trials in Rush valley so I hope to meet several people and getting involved that way as well. I would like to know if there are any active sponsors in the SLC, Tooele or Grantsville area that might be interested in taking on some new comers. Thanks and good hunting. Robert

Robert,

Welcome to NAFEX. (welc)

It makes little difference if a falconer "sponsors" apprentices or not. At this point, it just doesn't matter.

The reason you have got no replies from you first post about a "sponsor" is the way you worded your post. No fault of your own, just inexperience, and we all have been there!:D

Your second attempt was much better, but leave the idea that you need to find someone to sponsor you and focus on just finding someone to go out hawking with and have fun. For this, it makes no difference of the falconer ever sponsors an apprentice or not.

We are all falconers and, with the exception of the apprentices, potential sponsors. But we are not "sponsors", we are falconers.

I know it sounds a bit confusing!

Great idea to go to the Sky Trials. Also, check out the Utah clubs site here: http://www.utahfalconers.org/content.aspx?page_id=0&club_id=116174

One of the first things you should do is join this club. You will then be able to access the members list, find some falconers close to you and give them a call and ask if you could go out and beat the brush for them.

Often times, you have to do this leg work yourself to get into the field. Though some of us do willing offer to take newbies into the field without being asked, many falconers seem to like being asked.

Best of luck and again, Welcome!

everetkhorton
01-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Robert:
(welc) to NAFEX. I would suggest that before you head for the sky trials that you learn as much as possible about the sky trials and flying falcons as you can before you get there. This way when you hear people talking about how the flight went you will have some idea of what went on. JMO. It is great about being a father and son team.

Roper
01-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Robert

Kory is right on target here. Due to your inexperience although very genious is a little bit of the cart before the horse.
sponsers are not required as one of the first things. it is farther down the list. heed Kory's advice, get involved in your state club. contact you dnr and ask for any info they have for falconry. obtaining a sponser is like dating you usually have to get to know people first, go hawking with them, listen to what they talk about and take it all in and you will get the flow of how things work. kind of a learning as you go type things , friendships develop and some people you will learn to stay away from. as you get your permits and learn about mews, leashes the pros and cons of different types of swivels. opinions are vast and endless.. and why and why nots then you will obtain a sponser.through your state club and getting to know people and people to get to know you.

thunderheartiii
01-12-2010, 07:51 PM
(welc) to NAFEX.

Robert214
01-14-2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks all for the great advice!