PDA

View Full Version : California Hawking Club - News

jfseaman
02-13-2010, 10:43 AM
September 14, 2009

Hello,
My name is Bill Murphy. Recently, the Board of the California Hawking Club appointed me president. I have been a member of the CHC since its inception, and in the nearly four decades since then, I have seen the club go through some very good times and some rocky moments as well. I realize that many falconers who are not current members were formerly involved with the club, but have left for a variety of reasons I want to take this opportunity to explain to our members, as well as the falconry community at large, why I accepted this responsibility and why I am contacting you.
Last year I retired as a high school principal, and I now have more time to devote to falconry than I did while working fifteen- hour days. I also realize that for falconry to remain a viable field sport in California, we need to adopt and implement the new federal falconry regulations. Our current falconry regulations went into effect in 1984, and there is a very good chance that another quarter century might pass before we have the opportunity to change them again. I intend, during my term as president, to work with the Board, the membership, and all California falconers to ensure that regulations are approved quickly and that they allow us the opportunity and freedom to pursue our sport at the highest levels.
To make this happen, we need to form a united front. There are simply not enough falconers to make a difference unless we work together to reach our goals. As I have mentioned on previous occasions, there are over 200 high schools in the state with more booster club members than there are falconers in all of California. We all know that falconers are certainly individualists, but we need to realize that what binds us together must supersede what drives us apart. While I appreciate the differences that make each falconer unique, I firmly believe that the California Hawking Club can serve the needs of all falconers in the state. Therefore, I am asking each of you to consider one of three options: continue your support of the CHC if you are a member, join us if you are not a member, or rejoin if your membership has lapsed.
Both current and prospective members will want to know what the club has done and is doing for them. To begin with, we have been focusing upon adoption of the new federal regulations. Our affiliation with California Outdoor Heritage Alliance (COHA) has given us access to some of the most powerful and well-connected lobbyists in the state. With their help, we have made our concerns heard. In addition, former CHC President Jim DeRoque has met with the Assistant Director of the DFG, and the Assistant Director has agreed to meet with Jim and members of the falconry community to solicit their input, This bodes well for favorable decisions by the department.
Secondly, led by the Herculean efforts of club member, the late Gary Alten, we have succeeded in having the peregrine falcon de-listed in California. Although further legislative action will be required to remove the peregrine from protected status, this action has brought the wild peregrine closer to us than at any time since DDT almost drove it to extinction.

A third major accomplishment, spearheaded by club members Jeff Novak and Jim DeRoque, was the extension of the upland game season. Because of their involvement on behalf of all California falconers, we are able to pursue most game birds from August 15 until February 28, rabbits from July 1 until March 21, and sage grouse from November 7 until January 5. I want to mention that duck, snipe, and dove seasons are controlled by the federal government’s interpretation of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, and the state cannot set these seasons. Migratory bird seasons will be a future area of concern for the club.
Finally, I want to mention annual accomplishments. Our most recent journal, edited by Glenn Stewart and Marten Benatar, will soon be available to club members. Most who see this will agree that It ranks among the finest falconry publications in the country. Marten Benatar also continues to produce our newsletter, a skillfully assembled combination of club news and timely articles. Meanwhile Timm Browne and Alex Peredes are hard at work preparing for an outstanding field meet which will be held in January at Topaz Lake.
In closing, I want to thank our current members for their support and encourage those who are not currently members to join or re-join the CHC. Our website is connected to PayPal, so becoming a member is as simple as a few clicks on your computer’s mouse. Thanks for your time and good hawking.
Bill Murphy

jfseaman
02-13-2010, 10:45 AM
December 8, 2009

California Hawking Club
President's Message
Hello from the California Hawking Club (http://www.calhawkingclub.org/). We wanted to update you on club projects and keep you informed of upcoming activities. Some of you may be unaware that in addition to joining the California Rifle and Pistol Association, the CHC is now affiliated with the California Outdoor Heritage Alliance, the largest sportsman’s organization in the state. Both of these groups have worked to protect falconry as a field sport and have been actively involved in legislation protecting falconers as well as interceding with the DFG in our efforts to have the state adopt the federal falconry regulations. Recent legislation sponsored by COHA includes a bill which makes it a crime to interfere with hunting dog training as well as legislation prohibiting the harassment of falconers hunting with their birds. On Saturday, December 5th, the directors of the CHC attended COHA’s annual dinner, thanks to a generous donation of member Steve Shaw. With the pressure put on all hunting activities by anti’s, it is vital that falconers ally themselves with the entire sporting community.
I also want to update you on the field meet, which will be held from January 13th to 16th at Topaz Lake. In addition to outstanding hunting opportunities, we have lined up excellent guest speakers, reasonable hotel rates, competition in lure flights and sky trials. We have also had commitments from some of the finest falconry vendors in the US, including Western Sporting, Doug Pineo, Merlin Systems, Vitahawk, and Stanaslav hoods. Don’t miss the opportunity to get together with old friends, meet new ones, learn something new, stock up on equipment, experience high desert hawking, and watch flying exhibitions by some of the finest falconers anywhere. Further information as well as registration material is included on our website (http://www.calhawkingclub.org/news.htm).
In closing, I want to thank current members for their support, encourage non-members to join us, and wish you all a successful hunting season California Hawking Club. (http://www.calhawkingclub.org/)

Good hawking!
Bill Murphy

jfseaman
02-13-2010, 10:47 AM
January 20, 2010

Greetings from the California Hawking Club
Our field meet at Lake Topaz was a great success. We were fortunate enough to enjoy cold, calm, clear weather, hunt our birds, and have the opportunity to head home before the Sierras were pummeled by a series of winter storms. The meet was further enhanced by excellent guest speakers, a wide variety of quality vendors, outstanding sky trials and lure flying competitions, and a sumptuous sold-out banquet, complete with a large number of desirable raffle items. Meet chairs Alex Paredes and Timm Brown deserve a great deal of credit for making our meet a memorable one.
Among the items discussed at our Board meeting were issues that will positively affect all club members. Most California falconers would agree that we face two major problems. The first is getting the state of California to adopt the federal falconry regulations. With the support of sportsman’s groups including COHA, NRA and CRPA, we have addressed the DFG with our concerns, and we will continue to do so until our regulations are compliant. California falconers must be unified in this effort if we want to continue to exist.
The second problem is not as easy to address. Simply stated, California falconers are running out of suitable areas to hunt their birds. Club member Steve Shaw has made an incredible offer to combat this problem. He is donating $100,000 to the CHC to acquire hunting areas for club members. This is the largest single donation to a club in the history of North American falconry and an opportunity for our members to continue practicing our sport at a high level for years to come.
We, the Board, are asking California falconers for your input. How can we best invest this money to benefit club members throughout the state? Ideas have included outright purchase of property, leasing areas, joining land trusts, acquiring access to State and BLM sites, and working with the DFG to have falconry areas established in state wildlife areas. We are asking for your suggestions because we want to maximize this investment. We will not have an opportunity like this again.
In closing, we want to thank club members for their continued support and encourage those of you who are not currently members to join us in our pursuits of keeping falconry not only legal, but possible.
Good Hawking,
Bill Murphy, President

jfseaman
02-13-2010, 10:51 AM
February 7, 2010

On Tuesday, February 2nd, the Taucher Committee of the California DFG Commission met in Sacramento. Included in the agenda was a discussion of adoption of the federal falconry regulations. The California Hawking Club was represented at the meeting by Director Jim DeRoque, as well as our lobbyists: Bill Gaines of California Outdoor Heritage Alliance, Tom Pedersen of California Rifle and Pistol Association, and Ed Worley of the NRA. When the issue of adoption was discussed, Deputy Director Sonke Mastrup assured committee members that The Department would begin work on the process, and the first thing needed would be a CEQA (California Environmental Quality Act) document. This document is required of all new legislation affecting California’s natural resources. Because the old falconry regulations are expiring and must be replaced, the updated regulations are considered new laws.

In a lunch meeting with Jim DeRoque and our lobbyists, Deputy Director Mastrup again assured them that the federal regulations would be processed in time. He also asked Jim to serve as a liaison between falconers and the DFG and to help formulate the required CEQA document. With our lobbyists’ approval, Jim agreed to these requests, notifying the CHC Board that our input was being sought. Lobbyist Pederson informed the CGA of this agreement, asking their support in constructing the necessary paperwork.

We intend to begin this process immediately. Whether state legislators are contacted or not, the CEQA document must be produced for the process to move forward. The CHC Board has members experienced in the construction of formal documents and biological abstracts as well as legal experience. Yes, we realize this is a large undertaking, but the future of California falconry depends upon its outcome. We also realize that the late Gary Alten accomplished a similar process single-handed when he succeeded in de-listing the peregrine in California. We will be in regular contact with concerned falconers through e-mail messages, and will post updates on our website. We encourage your input.

Bill Murphy

outhawkn
02-13-2010, 11:00 AM
I'd sure like to see a NAFA president say something like this and mean it:

"To make this happen, we need to form a united front. There are simply not enough falconers to make a difference unless we work together to reach our goals. As I have mentioned on previous occasions, there are over 200 high schools in the state with more booster club members than there are falconers in all of California. We all know that falconers are certainly individualists, but we need to realize that what binds us together must supersede what drives us apart. While I appreciate the differences that make each falconer unique, I firmly believe that the California Hawking Club can serve the needs of all falconers in the state. Therefore, I am asking each of you to consider one of three options: continue your support of the CHC if you are a member, join us if you are not a member, or rejoin if your membership has lapsed".

tony123abc
02-13-2010, 12:09 PM
Bill,
You almost make me want to move back. Keep up the hard work. You are a credit to our sport. Tony

hawkerev
02-13-2010, 08:59 PM
outhawkn;119164]I'd sure like to see a NAFA president say something like this and mean it:

Bill

If you knew the new current NAFA president and how hard he works & the amount of time he puts in on falconry issues each day you would not throw out such casual comments. Larry is deep in the trenches working on lots of issues that fight for falconer’s rights to fly & hunt our raptors.

jfseaman
02-13-2010, 09:08 PM
Bill

If you knew the new current NAFA president and how hard he works & the amount of time he puts in on falconry issues each day you would not throw out such casual comments. Larry is deep in the trenches working on lots of issues that fight for falconer’s rights to fly & hunt our raptors.
I have high hopes for change at NAFA under Larrry.

raptrlvr
02-13-2010, 09:45 PM
Good luck with the CHC getting a "united front". There has already been at least one club formed recently because of being dissatisfied with CHC. They may be able to get this club to work with them, but, I don't think they will be able to convince the members to return to the CHC.

jfseaman
02-13-2010, 10:10 PM
Good luck with the CHC getting a "united front". There has already been at least one club formed recently because of being dissatisfied with CHC. They may be able to get this club to work with them, but, I don't think they will be able to convince the members to return to the CHC.Jim,

There have been a lot of changes since those days.

Ron Clarke
02-13-2010, 10:14 PM
While it's certainly a positive thing to have high hopes for any falconry club's leadership, the real job ultimately comes down to every single one of us acting on high hopes for ourselves. With as few of us as there are, each of us owes ourselves, each other, and the sport to do what each of us can to foster and protect falconry. There's a role for everyone and precious little time to dwell on differences of opinion, personality clashes, or perceived past slights or shortcomings. Talents vary and levels of experience are widely disparate, but each of us has something to offer to further the art of falconry. It's as important to get out there and fly your birds under hard-won new rules as it is to get those provisions passed. As Bobby Kennedy was fond of saying, we can all do something and each of us should try.

So, the question is not "What will my club leaders do for me?" It is "What have I done for falconry today?"

Ron

raptrlvr
02-13-2010, 10:43 PM
Maybe so, Fred, but, you or the CHC will never convince the die hards that it will be better to come back to the club. From what I have heard and read, there is a hugh gap between these 2 clubs with hard feelings towards each other. I don't live in California anymore, so, I'm not on either side and just speaking from what I have heard.

jfseaman
02-13-2010, 11:17 PM
Hi Jim,

The CHC doesn't need 'die hards' it needs active members who will get involved. Change doesn't come from 'die hards', they assume everything will always stay the same.

I know both clubs. I know the differences.

I'm trying to figure out if you are suggesting we all give up without trying.

Maybe so, Fred, but, you or the CHC will never convince the die hards that it will be better to come back to the club. From what I have heard and read, there is a hugh gap between these 2 clubs with hard feelings towards each other. I don't live in California anymore, so, I'm not on either side and just speaking from what I have heard.

jfseaman
04-13-2010, 08:17 AM
http://www.calhawkingclub.org/images/layout/logo.jpghttp://www.calhawkingclub.org/images/layout/name.jpg

California Hawking Club
President: Bill Murphy; Vice President: Morgan Campbell; Treasurer: Rick Holderman; Secretary: Ryan English; Director: Richard Smiley; Director: Jim Roush; Director: Bill Ferrier Director: Jana Barkley; Director: Dan McClurg; Director: Marten Benatar; Director: Glenn Stewart; Director: Keith Richman; Director: Jim deRoque; Director Brad Felger; Director: Kim Mauch

I want to update California falconers on the progress we are making toward adopting Federal falconry regulations. Before I start the update, however, I want to clear up a misconception that is causing undue concern to many. The current federal regulations expire on January 1st, 2014. Until that date, or until the new regulations are approved by the state of California, we are regulated under the current provisions of the law. Yes, passing the new regs is the most important challenge facing us, but we have nearly four years to accomplish this goal without threatening our ability to hunt with birds of prey.
That being said, I want to assure you that we are doing everything in our power to gain state approval as quickly as possible. On March 17th, Board Member and Regulations Liaison Jim DeRoque met with DFG Deputy Director Sonke Mastrup as well as COHA President Bill Gaines to establish a timeline for adopting these regulations. At a Natural Resources Board meeting held later in March, the CHC was invited to share input on Senate Bill 1332, introduced by Senator Dutton to expedite adoption of these regulations. Our contacts have proven positive, and I want to share a synopsis of the timelines that have been established.
To begin with, the Deputy Director clarified our role in creating the CEQA (California Environmental Quality Act) document required for passage of the updated regulations. Our responsibility in this matter is to explain what falconry is, including a brief history, an explanation of what falconers do with their birds, and a summary of the environmental impact we have on raptors as well as their prey species. We have three club members who write CEQA documents for a living who have agreed to help us with this task. Upon completion of this document, the Department will review current regulations and compare them with new federal regulations. By summer of2010, the department intends to identify the differences between the two and recommend changes for California’s new falconry laws that will comply with federal standards. By fall, 2010 the department will conduct public scoping of the federal regulations as well as an analysis and summary of existing falconry activity, including any possible impacts.
The entire CEQA process involves five steps. First, an initial study document (including our input) is submitted. At that point, the department will determine whether a negative declaration or an environmental impact is required. (Both are unlikely if federal environmental impact studies are any indication.) Third, the Commission must approve the document. Fourth, the document is open to public comments. Finally, the document is certified by the Commission.
By summer of 2011, the proposed state regulations will be submitted to the USFWS for review and approval. When they are returned, the state will make appropriate revisions, and open the revised document to a 45 day public comment period. At the conclusion of the public comment period, the department will summarize responses and make any necessary revisions. The Commission will then take another 30 days to allow public review, revise draft regulations, approve them, and submit them to the legal branch to perform any necessary editing. They will be submitted in their finalized form to the USFWS by winter/spring of 2011/2012.
This timeline leaves us nearly two additional years to deal with unforeseen complications. It is also probably more information than most people wanted to know, but it does answer the question, “What the ---- are they doing about the federal regulations?” As we move forward on this time line, we will keep you informed.
I am also asking that you support our efforts by joining the CHC.. Your membership strengthens our voice. In addition to publications and field meets, the club is actively working to preserve and protect our ability to pursue quarry with our birds. To join or renew your membership, please click on the link below. In an upcoming letter, I will share the progress we have made toward obtaining hunting areas for club members. Meanwhile have a clean moult and good luck with new eyasses.
Bill Murphy