PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Southwestern Ontario!

KittyCanuck
03-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Hello!

I'm new to the forums and completely new to the sport! I don't really know much about it, but that's why I'm here.

I've been interested in falconry since I was a child, but I never really did anything about that interest until now when I randomly saw a hawk along the highway and decided to start Googling photos of hawks, which led to falconry, which led to seriously looking into it for the first time in my life.
I've been reading information online and I've checked out the only book on falconry in my local library. I've sent in my application to the Ontario Hawking Club, because I'd like to be a part of the community even though I probably can't even apprentice for a long time (I live in a tiny little house in a subdivision and don't have quite enough time yet).

Someday I would love to become an apprentice, but for now I'm just here to learn and meet people in the falconry community.

outhawkn
03-01-2010, 11:47 PM
(welc) you have come to the right place..have fun

everetkhorton
03-02-2010, 08:18 AM
(welc) Kitty! Have fun.

Mitchellbrad
03-02-2010, 09:54 AM
Greetings Kitty. When I was a lad I saw a hawk in the backyard. I had my beloved parakeet sitting on my shoulder. I opened the window to get a better look at the hawk. Out flew Junior to be caught and carried off by the hawk. I was so impressed I never got another parakeet.

KittyCanuck
03-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Greetings Kitty. When I was a lad I saw a hawk in the backyard. I had my beloved parakeet sitting on my shoulder. I opened the window to get a better look at the hawk. Out flew Junior to be caught and carried off by the hawk. I was so impressed I never got another parakeet.

Hahaha!
I've had budgies and a lovely cockatiel, but never anything larger than that.

goshawks00
03-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Welcome Kitty... I have several friends that live up your way and am sure they would welcome you to go hawking with them... I believe most are members of OHC. If you need an intro to them send me an e/m.
Barry

HelenG
03-02-2010, 01:53 PM
Welcome!
You should definitely try and get out to the OHC field meet next fall, I went for the first time in 2009 and loved it. I plan on going this year again. You guys have amazing bunny fields out there!
Helen

thunderheartiii
03-02-2010, 09:07 PM
Hello and (welc) to NAFEX. Good luck in the future with "getting started" in the life style we call falconry. :)

borderhawk
03-02-2010, 09:12 PM
until now when I randomly saw a hawk along the highway and decided to start Googling photos of hawks, which led to falconry, which led to seriously looking into it for the first time in my life.

LOL!! Gotta love Google, huh? It's led me down some interesting paths....

Welcome! And, be careful, it can become an addiction..;)

Chris L.
03-02-2010, 11:26 PM
Hi Caitlin

Welcome to NAFEX. I hope you find the forum useful. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask

Again Welcome

Chris

KittyCanuck
03-03-2010, 08:58 AM
Welcome to NAFEX. I hope you find the forum useful. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask
Thank you! It has been so far! I'm sure I'll ask questions eventually, as I start to know more and need things clarified, but for now I've just been reading through the forums. ^_^

Squirrelhawkin
03-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Thank you! It has been so far! I'm sure I'll ask questions eventually, as I start to know more and need things clarified, but for now I've just been reading through the forums. ^_^

Don't forget to check out the "falconry pig" thread,alot of must know info in that one!!!toungeout:D LOL!!!
Seriously though,you'll learn alot on NAFEX