PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from MD

Bojinx
03-16-2010, 01:32 PM
Hello all.

I just wanted to drop a quick line here to introduce myself. My name is Jimmy and I'm a lifelong resident of Maryland (going on 34years.) I've been hunting since I could hold a BB gun and I've had bird companions almost as long. I've always been interested in falconry but only recently have I begun looking at it seriously. I'm very much at a researching stage right now, but I'm looking to find some people close to the Cecil County area who are flying.

Maryland DNR has asked that I find and read the out of print "North American Falconry & Hunting Hawks." I was curious if anyone could help me locate a local copy, or suggest an alternative.

I was also curious about any clubs in-state. Marylandfalconry.com seems to have closed up, so any information on local clubs or websites would be great.

Thanks for any help. This seems like a friendly and knowledgeable community, and I'm looking forward to learning and growing here.

Hawkmom
03-16-2010, 01:38 PM
(welc) I'm from Maryland originally. Look at this site: www.themodernapprentice.com. Great info there too. NAFHH is a great text. A good start.

Chesapeakehawk
03-16-2010, 05:39 PM
If you can find North American Falconry and Hunting Hawks you should read it. I am staring at a copy about 5 feet away right now. Also "The Red-Tailed Hawk": A Complete Guide....etc. was helpful and my sponsor gave me a copy.

The Maryland extended public library system has at least a dozen titles you can check out through Marina books I believe. Many are older texts, a few were in middle English (but were still interesting from a historical aspect).

Bojinx
03-17-2010, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the tips.

I've been reading at www.themodernapprentice.com (http://www.themodernapprentice.com) in my spare time. That's the one thing I definitely have going for me is that I do enjoy reading.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for a copy of that book. I have some other's ordered (Buteos and Bushytails, The Red-tailed Hawk, both CHC books) and I'm patiently awaiting their arrival.

If any local events get organized, be sure to drop me a line. I'd love to meet more locals with a passion for raptors.

GONEHAWKN
03-17-2010, 06:55 PM
what i can tell you with out a doubt is that Maryland has designed their test around the NY exam. SO, having said that, if you are looking for something to read in preparation for taking the test, i would secure a copy of the NY state falconry exam study guide. i think it is available through the NY site for a nominal fee......

Bojinx
03-17-2010, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the info about the NY test and guide. All of it should prove invaluable for the test. I need to be sponsored before I can take the Maryland test though, so it might be a little while.

bellerophon
03-17-2010, 07:33 PM
Hey Jimmy, I scanned the NY study guide into a PDF. When your ready to start studying let me know and I'll send a copy your way.

GONEHAWKN
03-17-2010, 08:18 PM
well there ya go.....

Bojinx
03-17-2010, 08:28 PM
Sounds like a plan Lee. Thanks for the offer.

Chesapeakehawk
03-17-2010, 11:34 PM
When I took it at the DNR in Annapolis they told me I could take the NYS test or the old federal exam. I took the fed test and some of the questions were really quite outdated and included some things on diet that I disagreed with (but don't remember specifics now). It was, however, very easy.
The person who administered my test was Mary Goldie mgoldie@dnr.state.md.us and I have emailed her about various other permitting questions; she is very helpful.

Bojinx
03-18-2010, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the contact information, Abby. It is really appreciated.

As for the availability of two tests, I guess I'll have to cross that bridge when I get there. Honestly though, if I've done my homework (and with the help of the right sponsor) I should be able to pass either test. From what I've heard, you study for the test and then dismiss most of that and begin your true learning with real experience.

Ken S.
03-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Jimmy... I live close to you (Conowingo) and work in Elkton, (drive through North East every day). There's a few others in the County too. I took down the web site because it wasn't being used or updated much, etc.

You should be able to take your test in Bel Air, I don't think you'll have to go to Annapolis but... not 100% sure. One of the local DNR officers in the County is also a Falconer so I can put you in touch with him too if you want. He'd probably be the one to do your inspection I think.

Send me a PM or email if you want...

Bojinx
03-19-2010, 01:38 PM
PM sent. Thanks for the information.

MarkT
03-19-2010, 05:52 PM
I live close to you (Conowingo) I used to do a lot of fishing under the dam in the spring.

Ken S.
03-19-2010, 07:24 PM
I used to do a lot of fishing under the dam in the spring.

I love fishing below the dam when the water is really low in the summer and you can wade out in the rocks. There's a lot of good fishing around here, I especially love to fish for small mouth bass. But you can catch some big striped bass there. People come from all over the place to fish the annual shad run around here and it's about to start up too.