PDA

View Full Version : Packing list for 2010 NAFA Meet?

Kenn Filkins
03-24-2010, 03:38 PM
Please, help me create a packing list for someone going to the 2010 NAFA Meet in Kansas.... Can be real or funny....

I want to include it in the Hawk Chalk on the page with the current Meet information.

Any ideas?

I don't have a lot of space for it but would like some input from all of you.

Thanks for your help.

Eragon
03-24-2010, 03:55 PM
Bird(s) - I have forgotten mine when going hunting.
Rabbit Skin Hat - Being the lure is fun!

cnoel08
03-24-2010, 04:03 PM
portable tornado shelter.
has anyone seen the KHC logo?
http://kfda.images.worldnow.com/images/9902592_BG4.jpg
http://kansasfalconry.com/forum/templates/Chronicles/images/logo_chronicles.gif

Flatwater Falconer
03-24-2010, 04:16 PM
M
W
B
B
G
G

(Meat, Whistle, Bird, Boots, Glove, Glasses.)

My litany for every hawking day. If you have these essentials your meet experience will probably be very good. ;)

dirthawker2004
03-24-2010, 04:17 PM
birds, food for the birds, clothing, money and as the great frank used to say single malt scotch. thats all you need

ukroper
03-24-2010, 04:40 PM
Birds,..food,Blue Heeler,Coke,CanadaDry,Jaimeson,Jack Daniels,Ice,Wallmart cooler/roping dummy,doppy ex-firefighterbox2,aging cowboytoungeout,intelligent hansome postie:D ....Horses,Tack ,Hay...sorry,is that just us????:eek:

Heatherg
03-24-2010, 04:47 PM
birds, vest, gloves, scale, food, first aid kit, perches, bath pan, game shears
dogs, food bowels (important), dog food (also important) tie outs
winter clothes, summer clothes, winter coats, spring coats, hunting boots, cowboy boots, jameson, gingerale, good beer, cooler, headlamp, good music, hawkin videos, camera and extra batteries, shot gun and shells etc. etc. etc.

or just go to walmart...and get what ya need :)

Eagle Owl
03-24-2010, 05:07 PM
food bowels (important)

:eek::eek::eek: Heather, now that is just GROSS!!!!! toungeout

latham
03-24-2010, 05:10 PM
Meet etiquette list (for example: if you are going to watch somebody's bird fly, make sure you get gas the night before - don't make the others wait for you ( "oh can you wait a minute? I have to go back to my room for my ..." gets old real fast); if your dog is in heat, leave it at home or at the hotel - nothing is worse than to be in a grouse field after traveling thousands of miles, spending hundreds of dollars, with your pointers/setters ready to run and have some univited guy along with his in season rat terrier, ...the big dogs want to check out the terrier and not work normally and the idiot (who is not flying) thinks it is funny. Use common sense and common courtesy- Bob (some
Please, help me create a packing list for someone going to the 2010 NAFA Meet in Kansas.... Can be real or funny....

I want to include it in the Hawk Chalk on the page with the current Meet information.

Any ideas?

I don't have a lot of space for it but would like some input from all of you.

Thanks for your help.

Heatherg
03-24-2010, 05:13 PM
:eek::eek::eek: Heather, now that is just GROSS!!!!! toungeout

so much for my AWESOME spelling abilities :) thanks for pointing that out though Brandi!! :) I appreciate it :)

Eagle Owl
03-24-2010, 05:14 PM
so much for my AWESOME spelling abilities :) thanks for pointing that out though Brandi!! :) I appreciate it :)

Sorry, Heather. I just couldn't resist!;)

Heatherg
03-24-2010, 05:56 PM
no worries:D

Tasha55403
03-24-2010, 07:05 PM
Money, birds, food (human, bird, dog, baggie), gloves, telemetry, lures, vests, baggies, dogs+gear, kennels, clothes, first aid kit, pillows, sleeping bags, portable grill, cameras+gear, laptop, books, booklight, flashlight, raffle donations, cell phone chargers, crockpot&liners...

Hunter45
03-24-2010, 07:08 PM
I hate not having what I need 900 miles from home, so with almost 40 NAFA Meets under my belt, I use an exhaustive check list. . . .

Falconry Related: Food Baggies, Zip Lock Freezer Bags -Qt./Gal., Bath Pans, Bota, Chaps, Live Lures w/Cage/Food/Water, Field Jesses, Flushing Sticks, Frozen Hawk Food, 2 Coolers - 1 People/1 Game/Hawk Food, Gauntlets, Regular Gloves, Hawking Bag, Hawking Gear/Supplies/Tools Tackle Box, Hoods, Knives/Game Scissors, Leashes, Leather for Jesses/Anklets/Bewits, Local Hunting Contacts List (From Prior Meets), Metal Ruler, Newspapers for Giant Hood, NAFA Directory, Perches, Latex Gloves, Print Box, Scales, Short Shovel to Dig Out Dog/Bird, Telemetry & Accessories, Traps - Bal-Chatri and Pigeon Harness - Plus Repair Makings/Tools

Dogs: Bowls - Food/Water, Leashes/Check Cords, Crates, Dog Bed(s), Food, Grooming Tools, Leashes, OdorBan in Spray Bottle, Treats

Apparel/Personal: Belts, Books, Boots, Stamps/Envelopes, Credit Cards, Grooming/Dental, Hats, Jackets, Jeans, Medications, Spare Reading Glasses, Sunglasses, Shirts, Sock, Sweaters, Tennis Shoes, Underwear, Vests

Tech: Binoculars & Spotting Scope, Camcorder, CB Radio/Antenna, Cell Phone/Chargers, Computer/Printer/Paper, Digital Camera/Charger, Flashlight/Charger, FRS Radios/Charger, Firearms, Music, Spotlight/Inflator

Food: Bowls/Plates, Butter, Cereal, Eggs, Fruit, Fry/Sauce Pans, Gatorade, Hot Chocolate, Hot Plate, Ice, Milk, Nuts/Trail Mix/Candy, Pitcher, Paper Towels, Seasonings, Tea, Toaster, Utensils

Do I bring it ALL on EVERY long hawking trip? Of course not, but at least when I pull out of my driveway for 7 to 20 days on the road, I don't worry whether I've left anything at home.

Does anyone see anything I've missed on my list?

Tasha55403
03-24-2010, 07:08 PM
Oh yeah, almost forgot....boots, bath pans, misters, perches, hawking gear boxes, spare leather, knives, shears, cooler, guns+gear...

Tasha55403
03-24-2010, 07:12 PM
I like Greg's list-that's organized!clapp:D

JRedig
03-24-2010, 07:24 PM
I'll just ride with HeatherG and if she doesn't have it, find greg!

Dirthawking
03-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Proper perches and equipment!

Roper
03-24-2010, 07:52 PM
Gary .. we are still laughing, I had to call Robyn in and have her read it ... :D that was good to see after being out riding
Dont forget the wig and buck teeth there Bubba Jay

Kenn Filkins
03-24-2010, 08:26 PM
I'll just ride with HeatherG and if she doesn't have it, find greg!

Thanks every for the great responses. Loads of fun comments.

Jeff's made me laugh out loud.... Because it's true!

When I get to the NAFA Meet I'll just look up Heather and Greg.... They better bring extras....

Roper
03-24-2010, 09:25 PM
ya but with Greg's list you need to bring a trailor, just to haul all that stuff. But I am going to use it as reference for sure.

Hunter45
03-25-2010, 10:52 AM
ya but with Greg's list you need to bring a trailor, just to haul all that stuff. But I am going to use it as reference for sure.

LOL! I sometimes feel that way, but actually have each category pared down to what I use or have used on a trip. And from what I've seen of some of my long winger friends' rigs and equipment, I'm not that crazy.

Heatherg
03-26-2010, 05:07 PM
Thanks every for the great responses. Loads of fun comments.

Jeff's made me laugh out loud.... Because it's true!

When I get to the NAFA Meet I'll just look up Heather and Greg.... They better bring extras....

Kenn, you can bet that I will have extras or know where to get some :)I hate not having something I need :)

After having done hawking trips multiple times a year for several years ( for me its been since 2000 and at least 3 trips a year and most times more than that) I have a pretty good feel for what I "need" and what i "want"....for the most part...the things I "want" I get when I get to my destination...and everything I "need" has its place in my SUV...there really isnt room for anything else :)

Oh yeah...a couple staples I forgot....duct tape...cable ties (wire ties)...bungee cords....with these 3 things you can fix almost anything :)

JRedig
03-26-2010, 07:09 PM
....duct tape...cable ties (wire ties)...bungee cords....with these 3 things you can fix almost anything :)

And if you were mcgyver, add a swiss arm knife, orange peel and a tampon wrapper and you'd have a bomb! :D

Tasha55403
03-26-2010, 07:30 PM
And if you were mcgyver, add a swiss arm knife, orange peel and a tampon wrapper and you'd have a bomb! :D
ROFLMAO

GregMik
03-26-2010, 11:51 PM

Then you could put it by Greg and call the ATF. He would not need all his stuff then.....;)

Greg

Hunter45
03-27-2010, 12:09 AM
Then you could put it by Greg and call the ATF. He would not need all his stuff then.....;)

Greg

clapp

Oh, my! ROFLMAO.

I'd just give them some of the names of my buddies in Homeland Security, and they'd say, "Oh, never mind. You must be going fishing. Have a nice day!" :D

GregMik
03-27-2010, 12:18 AM
clapp

Oh, my! ROFLMAO.

I'd just give them some of the names of my buddies in Homeland Security, and they'd say, "Oh, never mind. You must be going fishing. Have a nice day!" :D

I was just kidding Greg. Every yr Tasha and I go the the NAFA meet we seem to need more and more "Stuff". Even with a 3/4 ton P/U we still did not have room for all the birds and left one at home.

Gaz will attest the the need for the crockpot tho. Nothing like "Pot Roast" LOL

Greg

Lowachi
03-27-2010, 12:28 AM
Glenlivet, single barrel Jack Daniel's and American Honey for the yard folk/vet techs is always a plus & gets you closer to the gate.<VBG> See Don Bandauski's rig...has a wine rack.....
Seriously, what works for you in an enclosed weathering yard at home, doesn't necessarily fly/work at a meet. Perches that are not "one piece" are a liability. Not just to your bird, but to those perched around you. And remember, the yard is not covered. There is no fail safe-over the top netting if your equipment fails, like at home. Try as Mario & I do, s**t gets by,(as much as I try to be all things, my wife says....) I try to catch it--roofing material for jesses, bow perches w/o a cross bar, fishing tackle on a 40oz harris, ....the list goes on. Don't get me wrong, it's the job, my way of giving back to the club and if I can(we can) impact an apprentice in a positive way, hey, all the better!

GregMik
03-27-2010, 12:32 AM
Glenlivet, single barrel Jack Daniel's and American Honey for the yard folk/vet techs is always a plus & gets you closer to the gate.<VBG> See Don Bandauski's rig...has a wine rack.....
Seriously, what works for you in an enclosed weathering yard at home, doesn't necessarily fly/work at a meet. Perches that are not "one piece" are a liability. Not just to your bird, but to those perched around you. And remember, the yard is not covered. There is no fail safe-over the top netting if your equipment fails, like at home. Try as Mario & I do, s**t gets by,(as much as I try to be all things, my wife says....) I try to catch it--roofing material for jesses, bow perches w/o a cross bar, fishing tackle on a 40oz harris, ....the list goes on. Don't get me wrong, it's the job, my way of giving back to the club and if I can(we can) impact an apprentice in a positive way, hey, all the better!

Rich,

I volunteer as "Apprentice warden" next yr.

Greg

P.S. As long as you don't say "Do you know who I am?"

Dirthawking
03-27-2010, 12:32 AM
roofing material for jesses

Oh come on....that was the best one yet!!!

Eragon
03-27-2010, 12:36 AM
Roofing material for jesses? I gotta hear this one!

GregMik
03-27-2010, 12:36 AM
What roofing material was used? OMFG

Greg

Dirthawking
03-27-2010, 12:53 AM
Some apprentice walked into the yard with roofing material jesses (the rubber underlay roofing material, commercial use). Rich and I "decided" to change them out with something more traditional. The guy actually said, "My sponsor gave me those and said they were better than leather."

Rich and I, at the same time, said, "Go get your sponsor!"

Funny as hell!!! I think Rich still has the jesses to!

GregMik
03-27-2010, 01:06 AM
Some apprentice walked into the yard with roofing material jesses (the rubber underlay roofing material, commercial use). Rich and I "decided" to change them out with something more traditional. The guy actually said, "My sponsor gave me those and said they were better than leather."

The only thing I can think of was rubber or "EPDM"

There is one born every minute....

Greg

Eragon
03-27-2010, 01:18 AM
Wow. I guess you can't blaim the apprentice for trusting his sponsor, but jeez! Great story!

robhawkyyz
03-27-2010, 02:10 AM
don't forget to bring the the storage container for the apprentice or the pre-app and know it all apps, we need a break some times.

Hunter45
03-27-2010, 09:38 AM
I was just kidding Greg. Every yr Tasha and I go the the NAFA meet we seem to need more and more "Stuff". Even with a 3/4 ton P/U we still did not have room for all the birds and left one at home.

Gaz will attest the the need for the crockpot tho. Nothing like "Pot Roast" LOL

Greg

Do you remember the routine George Carlin did on "Stuff"? It certainly could apply to falconers. When we got the one ton Chevy crew cab to pull the RV trailer, I thought, "Well, at least now I'll never worry about enough room for my "stuff" when I pack for a hawking trip." Ha!

I ended up folding down the rear seats and making a transverse perch and drop cloth arrangement that let the birds ride "up front" with us when we could watch them and they had "better air" while traveling. We only moved them to their giant hoods for the night. They seemed to like it. Now I'm looking at installing a slide out platform to make everything in the 8 ft bed truly accessible, instead of having to hop up into it and root around all bent over under the cap for what I want.

Let's face it. We're trying to create a "home away from home" for both us and our raptors when we travel. There will always be innovative new ideas to make this work "the best". I marveled at some of the rigs I saw in Europe at the 2007 Czech and Austrian Meets, where their cars are, on average, much smaller. This was especially true for those who flew eagles!

One of the coolest rigs I ever saw for falcons was from some NC falconers I know. They flew up to ND with three falcons in a small private plane that had very limited room. Their solution? Picture a cirular shelf perch divided into three 120 degree segments by verticle pieces of plexiglass. Each bird sat on its segment and the plexiglass, while preventing them from touching or getting at each other, allowed full view of all three (hooded) birds at the same time. Below the shelf perch was the base that provided a place to catch the mutes and support the system when it was set down on the floor, an airplane seat, etc. At the top of the dividers was a handle that made it easy to carry the whole thing. Very ingenious!

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. NAFEX is a great place to network and learn, no matter if you're a neophyte or an old gray head who thinks he has it all figured out. There's ALWAYS something new and good to learn!

GregMik
03-27-2010, 09:49 AM
Do you remember the routine George Carlin did on "Stuff"? It certainly could apply to falconers.

Yup....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac

Greg

Lowachi
03-27-2010, 01:12 PM

Nah, I gave em back! He said his sponsor didn't come, but uses those in his rehab project. Evidently a wet area, from what he said.

Thaat was the same meet that Larry Dickerson, Peter Nolan & I "took the pigeon for a walk". Now that was a LMAO situation, after the Snowy got caught.frus)

Lowachi
03-27-2010, 01:16 PM
don't forget to bring the the storage container for the apprentice or the pre-app and know it all apps, we need a break some times.
Have 2- 50 gal plastic drums with lids and lockring for just the occasion:D, they're in the new trailer;)

frootdog
03-28-2010, 03:22 AM
I can attest. You CAN indeed bribe your way to the front of the gate!

jfseaman
03-28-2010, 07:10 AM
Proper perches and equipment!
I use those spinning perches that come apart for easy car storage. I'll bring one for everyone.

You know, the kind without the pin so they come apart fast for fast exits.toungeouttoungeout

Kenn Filkins
03-28-2010, 04:56 PM
Kenn, you can bet that I will have extras or know where to get some :)I hate not having something I need :)

After having done hawking trips multiple times a year for several years ( for me its been since 2000 and at least 3 trips a year and most times more than that) I have a pretty good feel for what I "need" and what i "want"....for the most part...the things I "want" I get when I get to my destination...and everything I "need" has its place in my SUV...there really isnt room for anything else :)

Oh yeah...a couple staples I forgot....duct tape...cable ties (wire ties)...bungee cords....with these 3 things you can fix almost anything :)

Heather,

I will count on you when I'm on a jack hawking trip out West.... Or, at the Kansas NAFA Meet!

Duct tape (or Gaffer tape) is a must!

Dirthawking
03-28-2010, 06:16 PM
I use those spinning perches that come apart for easy car storage. I'll bring one for everyone.

You know, the kind without the pin so they come apart fast for fast exits.toungeouttoungeout

That, dear sir, would most likely get you banned from any future NAFA weathering yards! :D

Lowachi
03-28-2010, 06:27 PM
......they come apart fast for fast exits.toungeouttoungeout

If I never see another,it'll be too soon! ...it wouldn't be the fast exits I'd be worryting about, but the slow insertions;)

I'm trying to get some more perches made for me/free. Otherwise I'm going to petition NAFA for some more

frootdog
03-30-2010, 09:06 AM
I...it wouldn't be the fast exits I'd be worryting about, but the slow insertions;)

uh.... nevermind. :eek:

Bird_Dog
03-30-2010, 02:43 PM
A copy of the Kansas "Walk in Hunting Area" atlas and a GPS receiver. You can download it from the wildlife department's website.

-- Scott

Hunter45
03-30-2010, 03:44 PM
A copy of the Kansas "Walk in Hunting Area" atlas and a GPS receiver. You can download it from the wildlife department's website.

-- Scott

Wow, Scott! Two great things to add to our lists. We've all found that "incredible" hawking spot, and then, the next year, not been able to find it. Way points on a GPS will fix that! And those walk-in hunting spots can be a godsend when landowners are away or you cannot get other permission.