PDA

View Full Version : New to board

corona
04-01-2010, 12:53 AM
Hi all, my name is John S. I am new to the board. I live in So Cal. Just wanted to introduce myself. I have been out of the country in Samoa for some years and getting back into falconry again. I have flown hawks since the early 80's. Looking forward to meeting some of you.

everetkhorton
04-01-2010, 08:28 AM
(welc)John. (welc)back glad to see you are getting back into the Sport.

outhawkn
04-01-2010, 08:32 AM
(welc) to the forum

tony123abc
04-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Dear John, I think we were doing in the mid to late 70s too. No since trying to claim you are younger than you really are.:D

corona
04-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Well, I guess we were. Tony you know what I remember hunting hawks with Jon Miller in 1973 or 1974. Man I guess we are old Tony.

tony123abc
04-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Jon made me the best coopie hood I had ever seen. He was a very talented artist. I remember Butch telling me ferruges were a waste of time. I remember calling em frog mouths and avoiding them at all costs. Now, they are my fave bird go figure. Time does pass if you let it.

corona
04-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Hi all thanks for the warm reception. I look forward to gleaning your experiences and knowledge about anything falconry. I hope this upcoming spring season is great for all of us.

California Native
04-04-2010, 10:24 AM
Hello John and welcome back to California and the forum.
Corona and California both a very changed place. I grew up in Pomona and used to trap Cooper's hawks in the citrus groves around Corona. That was in the early 1960's. Few of the groves remain today. That can be said for most of Southern California.
A great deal more falconers there now, as well. Falconry no longer the same either.
Enjoy the forum....another way of communication and sharing in the sport.

Dan

corona
04-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Hi Dan, thanks for the warm welcoming. You you beat me by 10 or more years to trapping coops in Corona. I remember trapping one off from Chase Dr. Corona then was an awesome orange grove. That for me was back in the later 70's. Now Chase Dr. is all homes. There are still a lot of places here to hunt and the coops are still here they are just urbanized. You are much better off where you are than here in So Cal.

California Native
04-04-2010, 10:24 PM
John,
Just a interesting observation.
One spring I spotted a female prairie falcon on a steel tower next to the Corona Expressway. Soon a tercel flew and copulated with her and they flew west into the Chino Hills. The following weekend we went on foot into the hills to search. Never did locate them, but I suspect they bred back there somewhere. There were cliffs back in there. This might have been around 1961-62. Historically there was a peregrine nest on the cliffs along the Santa Anna River near the golf course. West of Prado Dam.

Dan

corona
04-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Hi Dan, ok well I do know of some rock cliff formations in that area. The Corona express way is now the 71. Thanks for the lead, I will look into it.

corona
04-05-2010, 11:23 PM
Jon made me the best coopie hood I had ever seen. He was a very talented artist. I remember Butch telling me ferruges were a waste of time. I remember calling em frog mouths and avoiding them at all costs. Now, they are my fave bird go figure. Time does pass if you let it.

Hey Tony, I had not seen this post. Yeah Miller is the premiere artist. I still see him now and then. He does not fly, but may be he will when I show up with your awesome gift. Jon is one of the most gifted and talent persons I have ever met. He is really involved with Calvary Chapel. His son Eric married a Ukrainian gal and lived there for at least 3 years on missionary work. His son moved up to Oregon recently. I have not seen Butch for about 7 years, he has not flown for years. I still remember his mean RT. I still can not believe your generosity. It is so overwhelming. God will totally grant you a blessing Tony from unexpected avenues. Today I finished off the mew (12 x 10). I am getting it all ready so I can fly when I hit ground. I also found a decent telemetry unit here in Orange. It is an R-400 (http://www.com-spec.com/R400/index.html).

sharptail
04-06-2010, 12:39 AM
Well, I guess we were. Tony you know what I remember hunting hawks with Jon Miller in 1973 or 1974. Man I guess we are old Tony.Old? I used to hawk with Miller piror to 1973, I have not heard the name in a lot of years. He got one of his coopers hood patterns from me.

tony123abc
04-06-2010, 09:48 AM
Wow, if you are as old as Miller you must be really old. :D Last time I saw Jon he was playing bluegrass and working his art. That was a few decades ago.

corona
04-06-2010, 11:51 AM
Hi Jeff, If this is Jeff O'Dell, I actually have met you a long time ago, when Jon Miller, yourself and were out by Salton Sea you you guys caught a prairie in a miss net. I think i even got an ol pic of that catch somewhere in the archives. Well, if you taught Jon Miller, then was was your best student and you taught him the trade very well. Jon works for the vector control in OC out of Garden Grove, he is still in Anaheim off Cerritos.
John Strazicich

sharptail
04-06-2010, 04:23 PM
Hi Jeff, If this is Jeff O'Dell, I actually have met you a long time ago, when Jon Miller, yourself and were out by Salton Sea you you guys caught a prairie in a miss net. I think i even got an ol pic of that catch somewhere in the archives. Well, if you taught Jon Miller, then was was your best student and you taught him the trade very well. Jon works for the vector control in OC out of Garden Grove, he is still in Anaheim off Cerritos.
John Strazicich

Hi John! Close on the spelling, that is Odell. Jon has always been a talented guy, I don't know who learned more from who. Yes, I remember trapping that tiercel with you guys. Long time gone. I first met Jon and his brother when they were playing music at a pizza parlor, about 1970. We were pretty green in those days. Still playing blue grass...must be darn good at it now!