PDA

View Full Version : Transformer Owl

DMX
04-08-2010, 12:05 PM
I just find a very funny video of an owl (i think it's a kind of African Scops Owls) anyway, Watch this fascinating video of how the African Owl changes its body shape to different sized enemies. So for smaller enemies its makes itself look bigger, and for larger enemies it makes itself smaller, or less threatening, and less 'owl like'.... but it's so extream!!! lol

this Owl is a definitely actor!!!:D
well, take a look....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es52WQKLumI&playnext_from=TL&videos=FC7xU2xtaEY&feature=rec-rn-4r-4-HM

qtrhorse89
04-08-2010, 01:54 PM
cute!

GONEHAWKN
04-08-2010, 02:03 PM
that first bit of posturing is typical of some behavior i have encountered with other owls. i can tell you this, if your ever on the receiving end of that kind of body language by a good sized owl, and you do not have some armor on your hand, your in for it. the last bit of posturing i found to be very interesting.

DMX
04-08-2010, 06:31 PM
it's funny.. & cute .

first one was looks like a guy from a some gang on a street singing rap songs on stages then second pose was like a hanged cat or almost looks like a tree branch!! i still can't understand what's the reason for this extream transformations.

Himiko
04-08-2010, 06:38 PM
The wing flared out is very common in almost all owls if frightened by a larger animal. It is their effort to increase their size to bluff. The change to a much thinner, elongated posture is an attempt to conceal. That posture is not nearly as common in the world's owl species. It is typical of the 3 Screech Owl species in NA and the Flams. (In many cases they almost disappear to our vision if the bark color and texture is right.) It is typical of small owls with prominent ear tuffs. (The tuffs purpose is to communicate mood. Up is attentive while down is a warning of coming aggression.) Our Saw-whet will bring its ear tuffs (which many think they don't have) up if alarmed. Barn owls drop their head and shake it like they were signaling "no", and often sway. Short-eared owls will also produce their ear tuffs if alarmed.

DMX
04-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Thank you, Himiko. that's makes sense... I learn new things everyday!;)
I really like this owl!

Himiko
04-08-2010, 06:56 PM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/smunster/GreatHornedOwl-1.jpg

This is a Great Horned Owl of mine displaying that bluffing body language/shape.

DMX
04-08-2010, 07:12 PM
wow... flares up like an turkey....and very similer with scop owls too! clapp

conorhawk
04-08-2010, 11:31 PM
AMAZING!!!!!

Jeff721
04-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Anyone know what the third owl in the video is? Beautiful bird.

Hawkmom
04-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Maybe this will help: www.owlpages.com

redtailnut
04-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Anyone know what the third owl in the video is? Beautiful bird.

Verraux Eagle Owl

otherwise called the Milky Eagle Owl

DMX
04-09-2010, 08:40 PM
I don't know...the third one on the video, right? It looks like he's got some mask that hiding it's beak on video....Verreaux Eagle Owl looks bit differs on photo i see ...but who knows I'm not that great on finding differencies in Owls, it might be still morphed yet anyway...lol

Verraux Eagle Owl

otherwise called the Milky Eagle Owl

Himiko
04-09-2010, 08:43 PM
I believe the first owl is actually a White-faced owl not a Scops (Otus scops) or even a Striated Scops owl (Otus brucei).

I agree with the suggestion of the 3rd owl being a Verreaux's Eagle owl or Milky Eagle owl or Giant Eagle owl. All 3 names have been used for (Bubo lacteus}. If you listen carefully you can hear the commentator (I don't understand a word of Chinese) say the word Bubo before the owl is shown. Bubo is a genus of large owls thoughout the world. (Bubo bubo) being the largest and (Bubo virginianus) Great Horned owl being N.A. 3rd largest owl by wingspan and 2nd largest by weight.

The other owl in the video I believe is a Barn owl (Tyto alba) but a different sub-species than N.A. There is a light colored version of the Grass owl (Tyto capensis) which is found in China. So I will let you draw your own conclusions on that one. I favor Barn owl.

DMX
04-09-2010, 08:57 PM
i don't know...i don't have an audio right now with my computer..lol
yeah i just checked White-faced owl & i think it's a Southern White-faced Owl (Ptilopsis granti).

but video on picture it's not a written on Chinese laugage at all.
It's written in Japanese that i can concur with.

the girl i can see with falconry gloves looks like pretty much remote area of girl in JAPAN.
but she looks wierd to me as a Japanese even...lol
It's a really big different between moon & jupiter or eagles or crows with any Asian laugages.
the name of the first bird is "popo" it's writen on screen of the video though.;) so, i'm really cofused.

Himiko
04-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Dean: A Scops owl has chest plumage much like the Screech owl. While the White-faced has fine barring on the chest like an adult Gos.

The Eagle owl was pretty simple as it is the only Eagle owl with brown eyes. I don't think there is anything unusual about that bird's face.

As for the Barn owl look-a-like both are common to Botswana area of southern Africa but I'm not saying all the owls are from that region.

Told you I didn't speak Chinese nor do I speak Japanese (although my username is the Japanese first empress and my Peregrine's name).;)

Himiko
04-09-2010, 10:03 PM
I had time to research in a few of my other owl books and the White-faced owl (Ptelopsis granti) is also known as the White-faced Scops owl.
But is a different species than the Scops owl. So the video was correct but not specific as to which species of Scops owl.

jfseaman
04-10-2010, 08:11 AM
I don't know...the third one on the video, right? It looks like he's got some mask that hiding it's beak on video....Verreaux Eagle Owl looks bit differs on photo i see ...but who knows I'm not that great on finding differencies in Owls, it might be still morphed yet anyway...lolredtailnut probably won't argue with you but...

He is the head keeper at a zoo that has 3 or 4 different species of scops, 2 or 3 different species of barn owl and of course Milky/Verreaux Eagle Owls.

They are a beautiful creature with pink eyelids.

I know because I worked there and on of my jobs was to feed them.

DMX
04-11-2010, 06:44 PM
jfseaman

That's a nice chill job you used to had.. ;)

redtailnut probably won't argue with you but...

He is the head keeper at a zoo that has 3 or 4 different species of scops, 2 or 3 different species of barn owl and of course Milky/Verreaux Eagle Owls.

They are a beautiful creature with pink eyelids.

I know because I worked there and on of my jobs was to feed them.