PDA

View Full Version : indian hood patterns

moffett
04-10-2010, 11:35 AM
does anyone have indian hood patterns they would share, ive made a ton of hoods in the past but only can find female pere and tiercel prairie sizes,quess i lost the rest , its been almost 40 years since imade 1, need kestrl and rt sizes,

outhawkn
04-10-2010, 11:52 AM
There is a hood generator on the internet, but I dont have time to find it . Maybe someone one here will be able to help. I'll check back tonight and if not I'll find it for you.

GONEHAWKN
04-10-2010, 12:22 PM
here is the link to the Modern Apprentice site.

http://www.themodernapprentice.com/hoods.htm

this is where the hood pattern program for both Indian and Dutch hoods are located. what you WILL need too know it the measurement across the birds head and just behind the eyes, in mm's to get it make a pattern for you. i have used the Indian hood pattern, but not the Dutch. good luck.

MarkT
04-10-2010, 01:18 PM
A while back there was a pattern in one of the Hawk Chalks that I wrote a program to generate. I have never actually tried making a hood from the pattern but would be interested to know if it works. If you would like to give it a try you can download it here (http://www.thesings.net/falconry/software/hoodpattern/setup.exe). If you do try making a hood from the pattern, please post a picture.

Note: This program will only run a Windows base machine and was written during the WindowsXP time so I'm not sure it will run on Windows Vista or Windows 7 but my guess is it probably will.

outhawkn
04-10-2010, 01:26 PM
A while back there was a pattern in one of the Hawk Chalks that I wrote a program to generate. I have never actually tried making a hood from the pattern but would be interested to know if it works. If you would like to give it a try you can download it here (http://www.thesings.net/falconry/software/hoodpattern/setup.exe). If you do try making a hood from the pattern, please post a picture.

Note: This program will only run a Windows base machine and was written during the WindowsXP time so I'm not sure it will run on Windows Vista or Windows 7 but my guess is it probably will.

Yes, it does work on vista...and thats pretty cool. clapp

Is it possible to use a different pattern?

TiercelR
04-10-2010, 01:30 PM
Hello, the patterns from the slijper hood generator do needs a small correction-modification in the sewning borders for to match well the both sides together, because the rear sewning borders are more largers than the frontal sewning borders.

Once made this modification to its pattern, so the new modified pattern will be excellent.

Despite of this, the program is wonderful just as it is, many many thanks for this software program to his own inventor !!

moffett
04-10-2010, 02:02 PM
thanks everyone , i downloaded the program mark posted, looks similar to the ones i have, which is good cause they always fit well, this is way better , all i had befor was a bunch of different patterns and it was trial and error to get the right size. arent computers great, ANOTHER QUESTION
what is the gortex material u guys use for braces and where can i get it, i just used leather but im sure this stuff is better

GONEHAWKN
04-10-2010, 07:52 PM
hey Dan, 'puters are in in fact wonderful. i have made many Indian hoods from the program for trapping and general use and they all work out really well.

Mark, thanks for sharing that program. i saved to my PC for use in the future!

Ken S.
04-10-2010, 09:35 PM
A while back there was a pattern in one of the Hawk Chalks that I wrote a program to generate.

Hey Mark... I think I know the article you're talking about. Is that the article Gaylen Gerrish in PA wrote? He had a formula and instructions for drawing out the pattern with a compass and ruler... pretty cool. I followed his instructions to make the pattern by hand on paper, and then was messing around with a simple CAD drawing program on the computer to scale it up and down. Very cool of you to make up the program and share w/ everyone! Thanks.

MarkT
04-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Yes that is the article. I did it as practice app to brush up on working working with graphics in Visual Basic but never got around to trying to put one of the hood together.

ladyfalconer
04-11-2010, 03:45 PM

Mark,
It's been ages since I've made a hood. When I saw this post I downloaded your program and tried it with a piece of paper....pretty neat. I have Windows Vista and it worked fine. I wanted to ask though, where does your measurement come from? It's no prob. converting mm to cm and cm to inch, but how do measurements convert to hood sizes?
ie) 2 inches entered into the program = size X hood
Is the measurement (to be entered) from the widest part of the hawk's head?
Thanks
Leah

MarkT
04-11-2010, 04:51 PM
That should be in the help file but if I remember correctly the measurement is the distance accross the head just behind the eyes.

KT2020
07-09-2020, 01:21 PM
Hi Mark,
Just wanted to say thank you for making the hood pattern generator.
It worked on Windows 10!
If you don't mind, could you tell me whether permission from Mr. Gaylen Gerrish was necessary for making the program?
I'm thinking of making a program draw his 2-7 Arab Canon patterns, and wondered how to get a permission.
TIA.

Saluqi
07-09-2020, 02:12 PM
The 2-7 Arab pattern is already in Mark's software. Check post 37 of this thread: http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?16776-Hood-pattern-generator-program/page2&highlight=generator

KT2020
07-09-2020, 03:02 PM
all I can see is 3-4-5 slipper canon pattern.
Could you tell me how to print 2-7 Arab pattern?

Saluqi
07-09-2020, 03:21 PM
You downloaded it from here, right?

http://www.thesings.net/falconry/software/hoodpatterngenerator/setup.htm

This is what my screen looks like:

KT2020
07-10-2020, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the correct URL.
I was looking at "Hood pattern maker" not "generator".
Now I got 2-7 Arab Canon patterns.
Have a nice day!

edworsham
11-04-2020, 05:11 AM
I downloaded the program. It's pretty cool.