PDA

View Full Version : Call For Director Nominations

Flatwater Falconer
04-14-2010, 01:04 PM
Hello All,

It's getting to be that time of year when your CS begins putting together the Call for Director Nominations packet. I am readying this and it will be in the mail within the next few weeks. There will be a complete page of details for nominations plus a return-by-mail form.

If you would like to serve the Association as a member of the board please consider running for one of the Director positions. It is perfectly fine to put your own name into the hat.

As your CS I am charged with securing candidates for each directorate. Multiple candidates for each area is my goal. After all one 'choice' isn't really a choice is it? (Though if your director is doing a super job that's not a bad thing.)

So here's a heads-up - I will be looking for nominations for the following regions and one Director-At-Large:

South Pacific
Mountain
Great Lakes
Canada
Director-At-Large

Please note: this is a courtesy notice only. Wait for the mailing to arrive to utilize the instructions and accompanying form.

If you wish to view the nomination instructions immediately you can find this in the member area of the Association web site. The information posted is from last year but I will change this shortly. The basic details should remain the same. (www.n-a-f-a.com (http://www.n-a-f-a.com))

Thank you from your North American Falconers Association Corresponding Secretary.

One final thought - if you haven't renewed yet or wish to become a member and get involved please let me know. I will assist you with this so you may participate in the upcoming election.

All the best,

sharptail
05-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Well so far, we have nominations for Ralph Rogers, Daryl Perkins and Ron Clarke for the upcoming DAL position. I think the deadline to get nominations in is June 6. Whom is the best person that you know to move falconry in the right direction? Will there be anymore nominations?

Ron Clarke
05-24-2010, 07:45 PM
The deadline for nominations is midnight on 5 June, 2010, so don't wait if you want to step up or if someone you'd like to nominate is interested in running. If you'd rather not jump into the arena yourself, be sure to at least let the candidates know what you want from NAFA and what you want to see for falconry in the future.

sharptail
05-25-2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the correction Ron! I also want to encourage NAFAX members to join NAFA in time to vote in the upcoming elections! Members here are among the best informed falconers anywhere and we can have a major impact on this and all elections. If you are less than satisfied, or feel that recent small improvements don't address the past problems within the NAFA board, here is your chance to help make a change.

Last I looked we still had no nomination for Mountain Director and it would be great to not see the Canadian Director, Mark Williams run unopposed. So what happens if there are no nominations for a directorship? Does the board fill the open position?

Saluqi
05-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Come on Jeff, you should run for mountain director. No time like the present!

sharptail
05-25-2010, 02:31 PM
As much as I might like too, I can't. I have heard that you have been asked to run, what do you say?

Saluqi
05-25-2010, 02:57 PM
As much as I might like too, I can't. I have heard that you have been asked to run, what do you say?

Yes, I've been asked. Someday I'll run, but right now there are too many issues at the state level that need to be resolved.

Dutch
05-25-2010, 03:24 PM
Donna wrote, One final thought - if you haven't renewed yet or wish to become a member and get involved please let me know. I will assist you with this so you may participate in the upcoming election.
Jeff wrote, “Last I looked we still had no nomination for Mountain Director and it would be great to not see the Canadian Director, Mark Williams run unopposed. So what happens if there are no nominations for a directorship? Does the board fill the open position?” “Well so far, we have nominations for Ralph Rogers, Daryl Perkins and Ron Clarke for the upcoming DAL position.”
If Regional Directors end up running unopposed and old blood like Ralph and Daryl are running for DAL, can we assume NAFA is wilting for some reason or several reasons? Personally, I was pleased the 2010 NAFA elected board members seemed to be new blood for the organization and NAFA had a new president and vice president.
It is clear NAFA has many qualified falconers living in the Mountain Region who have the skills and experience to be of great value to help lead NAFA in 2011&2012. Personally I will be uncomfortable if someone runs unopposed in the Mountain Directorate.
Can anyone share how many members NAFA had at the end of 2009?
J. Stoddart

Saluqi
05-25-2010, 03:45 PM
Donna wrote, One final thought - if you haven't renewed yet or wish to become a member and get involved please let me know. I will assist you with this so you may participate in the upcoming election.
Jeff wrote, “Last I looked we still had no nomination for Mountain Director and it would be great to not see the Canadian Director, Mark Williams run unopposed. So what happens if there are no nominations for a directorship? Does the board fill the open position?” “Well so far, we have nominations for Ralph Rogers, Daryl Perkins and Ron Clarke for the upcoming DAL position.”
If Regional Directors end up running unopposed and old blood like Ralph and Daryl are running for DAL, can we assume NAFA is wilting for some reason or several reasons? Personally, I was pleased the 2010 NAFA elected board members seemed to be new blood for the organization and NAFA had a new president and vice president.
It is clear NAFA has many qualified falconers living in the Mountain Region who have the skills and experience to be of great value to help lead NAFA in 2011&2012. Personally I will be uncomfortable if someone runs unopposed in the Mountain Directorate.
J. Stoddart

Here's a thread that ran last summer about NAFA's declining numbers:

http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?t=5218

Some interesting reading.

Tony James
05-25-2010, 05:08 PM
Here's a thread that ran last summer about NAFA's declining numbers:

http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?t=5218

Some interesting reading.

Hi Paul,

I wish you hadn't offered that link --- my normally cheery disposition has just been shattered:eek:.....;).

I can't offer any worthwhile thoughts on the situation in the US, but if it's of any interest I can tell you the arguments seem all too familiar ---- and there was me thinking you gentlemen never had a cross word to say.

However, for what it's worth, I would like to say I've met some of the above mentioned folk at IAF meetings and suchlike, and I believe you are incredibly lucky to have a choice of commited, talented, and diplomatic people willing to serve the interests of US falconers to the very best of their ability.

I would urge everyone to support whoever is voted into the various positions if at all possible, and use your votes to make change as required.
Division amongst falconers is the most powerful tool in the armoury of those you should be united against.

Sorry for poking my nose where it doesn't belong,

best wishes,

Tony.

wyodjm
05-25-2010, 06:01 PM
J. Stoddart

I thought Ralph wasn't going to run for any more NAFA offices.

I'd run for DAL or Mountain Director. Would that mean I'd have to join NAFA again? :) Would that mean I'd have to say nice things about the USFWS and how pro falconry they really are? :)

Saluqi
05-25-2010, 06:11 PM

I'd run for DAL or Mountain Director. Would that mean I'd have to join NAFA again? :) Would that mean I'd have to say nice things about the USFWS and how pro falconry they really are? :)

I didn't think that Ralph was running either?

Dan, I'll pay for your membership if you run, seriously. Nah, you can say what ever you want about the USFWS, as long as you say nice things about me :)!

sharptail
05-25-2010, 06:11 PM

I'd run for DAL or Mountain Director. Would that mean I'd have to join NAFA again?
Yes, get it done and I will nominate you!!!!!

frootdog
05-25-2010, 09:30 PM

Unfortunately you can't just join and run. You must be a paid member in good standing. That's why Sulski was not allowed to run. He had not paid current dues for the election year. Just FYI to all.

Secondly Ralph has said he's not running, he is, he's bowing out of the position, no wait he's staying. If he's that iffy on the commitment how can we expect him to serve diligently.

wyodjm
05-25-2010, 09:59 PM
Unfortunately you can't just join and run. You must be a paid member in good standing. That's why Sulski was not allowed to run. He had not paid current dues for the election year. Just FYI to all..

Just FYI, I was kidding. Why would I want to join NAFA? :)

Secondly Ralph has said he's not running, he is, he's bowing out of the position, no wait he's staying. If he's that iffy on the commitment how can we expect him to serve diligently.

Hey........he keeps getting elected! I don't think Ralph's the real issue!

FredFogg
05-25-2010, 10:39 PM
I don't think Ralph's the real issue!

I think the real issue is a bunch of falconers bitching about NAFA but doing nothing about it! Step up or stop complaining! Tired of all this sissy whining! Damn, is it time to go trapping yet! LOL toungeout:D

sharptail
05-26-2010, 11:05 AM
I think the real issue is a bunch of falconers bitching about NAFA but doing nothing about it! Step up or stop complaining! Tired of all this sissy whining! Damn, is it time to go trapping yet! LOL toungeout:DHey Fred, what have you done to move the election process forward? I didn't see your name put forth! Perhaps you nominated Darryl or Ralph? Whinning? Who is whinning? Perhaps a time for a little self examination, there bud. lol

Saluqi
05-26-2010, 11:16 AM
This is ridiculous. Barry goes trolling for responses by tossing out the old "what has NAFA done for me?" gripe, and now Jeff is bashing Fred for not stepping up to the plate. C'mon. Last year, in the thread that I referenced above people bitched and moaned about NAFA not having a forum to voice their concerns, now NAFA has a forum, and guess what? No one uses it, hmmmm.....If you NAFA members want to elicit a response from your directors, then post and keep posting on the NAFA forum until you get a response. Complaining here on NAFEX is strictly an exercise in self flatulation!

PeteJ
05-26-2010, 11:18 AM
I thought Ralph wasn't going to run for any more NAFA offices
Can anyone say "Bret Farve"?

Dirthawking
05-26-2010, 11:18 AM
Well said Paul, WELL SAID!!!

clappclappclappclappclappclappclappclapp

wyodjm
05-26-2010, 11:49 AM
This is ridiculous. Barry goes trolling for responses by tossing out the old "what has NAFA done for me?" gripe, and now Jeff is bashing Fred for not stepping up to the plate. C'mon. Last year, in the thread that I referenced above people bitched and moaned about NAFA not having a forum to voice their concerns, now NAFA has a forum, and guess what? No one uses it, hmmmm.....If you NAFA members want to elicit a response from your directors, then post and keep posting on the NAFA forum until you get a response. Complaining here on NAFEX is strictly an exercise in self flatulation!

To be fair, I probably didn't help things. Forgive me. I wish NAFA well now and in the future.

Lowachi
05-26-2010, 11:51 AM
Complaining here on NAFEX is strictly an exercise in self flatulation!

amennn

sharptail
05-26-2010, 12:27 PM
This is ridiculous. and now Jeff is bashing Fred for not stepping up to the plate.
Well Paul, Fred deserved everything he has gotten here. What I am critizising Fred for is accusing me of not stepping up and just whinning. I have put considerable time and effort into getting some people nominated, I know that you have noticed that there are no nomination for Mountain Director, and you also declined to step up. I didn't see any rules aginst doing NAFA business on NAFEX, and yes i do find the NAFA forum to be unresponsive.

So your solution is to bitch and moan and whine...go figure

Dirthawking
05-26-2010, 12:35 PM
Jeff, I think you need to slow down alittle and re-read some posts. I think everybody NEEDS to stop throwing stones! Fred is trying to get stuff done, as are other people. The guard of NAFA is changing. New blood is stepping up. I am TIRED or hearing what has NAFA done...blah blah blah... I stepped up, as have a few others. Other people have done nominations too. Others have said no thank you. Paul explained that his priorities to his state regs take priority. As did mine, as I am sure do yours. Step it back a few and realize that not everybody has time to commit fully, but dont just sit back and bitch about everybody else.

Ron Clarke
05-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Bobby Kennedy used to tell audiences of young people "we can all make a difference and each of us should try." We all have something to contribute: knowledge; experience; informed opinion; elbow grease; whatever. None of us has a monopoly on good ideas, so get involved and share your thoughts. N.B.: Clear articulation of what falconers want from NAFA or dream of for the future of falconry is much more useful than vague complaints, even those borne of legitimate frustration.

Here's an opportunity to get involved: Darryl Perkins has respectfully declined nomination as a candidate for NAFA Director-At-Large. It won't serve the process very well if I am an uncontested candidate for that position. Any takers?

sharptail
05-26-2010, 02:09 PM
Hi Ron,
The email that I got from the NAFA president, stated that Ralph Rogers has also been nominated for that position, is this incorrect?

Dutch
05-26-2010, 02:38 PM
Bobby Kennedy used to tell audiences of young people "we can all make a difference and each of us should try." We all have something to contribute: knowledge; experience; informed opinion; elbow grease; whatever. None of us has a monopoly on good ideas, so get involved and share your thoughts. N.B.: Clear articulation of what falconers want from NAFA or dream of for the future of falconry is much more useful than vague complaints, even those borne of legitimate frustration.

Here's an opportunity to get involved: Darryl Perkins has respectfully declined nomination as a candidate for NAFA Director-At-Large. It won't serve the process very well if I am an uncontested candidate for that position. Any takers?
Robert Kennedy also said, “ In this life only God and angels can be spectators, the rest of us have to participate.” In my opinion, NAFA does not need any more leaders fighting among themselves. The organization needs workers committed to improving the organization. When an international organization has any uncontested director elections that do not involve an incumbent director, there is some wrong? An uncontested DAL position is a larger indicator, there is something amiss.
Can anyone share if the NAFA membership at the end of 2009 had declined significantly compared to 2008?
Jack Stoddart

frootdog
05-26-2010, 02:52 PM

Thank God! I have no problem with you being uncontested!

frootdog
05-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Can anyone say "Bret Farve"?clapp

frootdog
05-26-2010, 02:56 PM
To be fair, I probably didn't help things. Forgive me. I wish NAFA well now and in the future.

Dan this is your m.o. Stir the pot then apologize and wish NAFA the best. If you really did wish them the best you would get off your high horse and rejoin. NAFA IS changing. It is easy to see now.

FredFogg
05-26-2010, 03:32 PM
Hey Fred, what have you done to move the election process forward? I didn't see your name put forth! Perhaps you nominated Darryl or Ralph? Whinning? Who is whinning? Perhaps a time for a little self examination, there bud. lol

I tell you what Jeff, you take over the duties of webmaster for the NAFA website and I will be glad to run for DAL. I don't have time to do both. I am in the process of creating an online meet registration (have to mail them in the old way), creating online registration for new members (again, have to mail in), creating a list of all U.S. breeders for all falconers to have access to on the website (not just NAFA members). So don't jump my **** asking me what am I doing about the election! You better do your research before you stick your big foot in your mouth! I am trying to do my part and I am just trying to get others to step up and help and quit whining! If you took my post as directed at you specifically, then it must have hit a nerve! It was meant for everyone!

frootdog
05-26-2010, 03:43 PM
So don't jump my **** asking me what am I doing about the election!

Ooooooh the swear word police are going to get you!toungeout

Ron Clarke
05-26-2010, 03:46 PM
Hi Ron,
The email that I got from the NAFA president, stated that Ralph Rogers has also been nominated for that position, is this incorrect?

Hi Jeff,

My understanding was that Ralph wasn't going to run again, but we'd probably best ask him directly to confirm one way or the other.

wyodjm
05-26-2010, 04:21 PM
Dan this is your m.o. Stir the pot then apologize and wish NAFA the best. If you really did wish them the best you would get off your high horse and rejoin. NAFA IS changing. It is easy to see now.

Dude, you don't know me from Adam. Send me a private PM, and we'll compare resumes. If not, back off. Please! :) Don't be mean!

sharptail
05-26-2010, 05:31 PM
Hi Fred,
I have long been aware of your service to NAFA, and that is great, but that doesn't move the election process forward. Your criticisum of those working on getting some nominations here, is not appreciated, no matter what else you do for falconry. I don't expect you to run for office.

sharptail
05-26-2010, 06:47 PM
Hi Jeff,

My understanding was that Ralph wasn't going to run again, but we'd probably best ask him directly to confirm one way or the other.I have no reason to disbelieve the email I got from Larry Dickerson(NAFA president), didn't you recieve the same email? If you have a raport with Ralph, perhaps you wish to ask him?

FredFogg
05-26-2010, 06:59 PM
Hi Fred,
I have long been aware of your service to NAFA, and that is great, but that doesn't move the election process forward. Your criticisum of those working on getting some nominations here, is not appreciated, no matter what else you do for falconry. I don't expect you to run for office.

Jeff, bringing up crap about Ralph and Darryl is whining as far as I am concerned. Let's move forward and quit bringing up the past. I wouldn't vote for Ralph if he was the only person running, but that is whole different thread. My criticisum is bringing up stuff that doesn't need to be brought up and quite frankly, I could care less if you appreciate it or not. Moving the election process forward will happen with positive input not whining about what Darryl or Ralph or who ever did what way back when!

Saluqi
05-26-2010, 07:45 PM
How long are the terms for DAL and regional directors?

Lowachi
05-26-2010, 07:48 PM
2 years

Saluqi
05-26-2010, 07:54 PM
2 years

When is the election and when do the terms begin?

wyodjm
05-26-2010, 08:07 PM
Moving the election process forward will happen with positive input not whining about what Darryl or Ralph or who ever did what way back when!

One of the purposes of NAFEX, I would hope, would be for the dissemination of good, solid information for the falconry community. Not all topics are going to be fuzzy, feel good topics. But that doesn’t mean certain, sometimes uncomfortable topics can’t be discussed in a civil and respectful manner. To me, having some guy who I’ve never met in my life suggest I get off my high horse and get involved with NAFA isn’t the friendliest way to get their meaning across.

Look, there are quite a few used to be NAFA members still around. Like it or not, many of these people have a very real history with NAFA. NAFA’s screwed a few really good people over the years. And I don’t think you can just ask people to forget that stuff never happened.

Even the people who aren’t members any longer are still watching NAFA from a distance. Perhaps people would think of rejoining NAFA under the right conditions and if things were moving in a positive direction. But rearranging the furniture and vacuuming the carpet doesn’t necessarily mean the house is clean.

I’m still waiting for someone to answer Stoddart’s question about 2008 - 2009 membership numbers. He’s asked the same question twice in the last two days.

sharptail
05-26-2010, 08:19 PM
Hi Fred,
Since both Ralph and Darryl have been nominated and since both must have been consulted beforehand then they are not in the past and fair game. Because you don't like what happened in the past doesn't mean that nothing happend and that it should not be talked about and even joked about and I don't care if you are tired of it!

Dirthawking
05-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Even the people who aren’t members any longer are still watching NAFA from a distance. Perhaps people would think of rejoining NAFA under the right conditions and if things were moving in a positive direction. But rearranging the furniture and vacuuming the carpet doesn’t necessarily mean the house is clean.

Why not help clean the house, and not come in after the inspection has been done. More satisfaction in knowing that you "helped clean house"
Just saying....I know, I know....the past sucks!

I’m still waiting for someone to answer Stoddart’s question about 2008 - 2009 membership numbers. He’s asked the same question twice in the last two days.

Try asking the membership sec, not the general masses. He could find the information just as easy as I could. All it takes is an email to the right person. No offense ment, but I am tired of people "asking" for information, instead of finding out the answers for themselves. Kinda the same mentality of how we treat/expect of our apprentices isnt it?

Ron Clarke
05-26-2010, 09:01 PM
When is the election and when do the terms begin?

Nominations are due midnight, 5 June 5 2010; candidate biographies are due midnight, 26 June 2010; ballots go out via USPS First Class mail 15 July 2010; marked ballots must be postmarked by 19 August 2010. Terms begin 1 January 2011.

Here are the full details from the NAFA web site:

The following Directors’ terms expire on 31 December 2010:

Director-At-Large: Ralph Rogers Mountain: Bruce Haak
Canadian: Mark Williams Great Lakes: Dianne Moller
South Pacific: David Wadsworth
Any Regular Member may nominate a candidate for Director-At-Large from among current Regular Members in good standing.

Regional Director Nominees must be current Regular Members in good standing and reside in the region for which nominated, and must either be nominated by a Regular Member who also resides in the same directorate, or may nominate him or herself. Directors must have been Regular Members at least 365 consecutive days in order to assume their offices. Directors must maintain regular membership throughout their terms. The term of office is two years; half the offices begin on January 1st of even numbered years and the other half on odd numbered years.

Nominations must be mailed to the Corresponding Secretary (CS) to arrive by June 5 of the nominating year. No nominations will be accepted after midnight on 5 June.

Do not make a nomination without the consent of the nominee. NAFA will not take the responsibility of contacting a nominee. That is the responsibility of the nominator. To be placed on the ballot, your nominee(s) must indicate to the CS his/her consent to run by providing a biography to arrive via mail or e-mail no later than 26 June of the nominating year. Without exception, all nominations will be deemed Null and Void unless a biography (up to 600 words and an optional photo), provided by the nominee, is received by the CS before midnight on 26 June of the nominating year.

Biographies provided by the nominator on behalf of the nominee will not be accepted.

The biography must include an answer to the following question:

Have you ever been convicted or plead guilty or nolo contendere to any felony of whatever kind, or any misdemeanor falconry or wildlife related activity? Yes____ No____

The CS will mail the ballots via USPS First Class 15 July of the nominating year. The ballots must be received back by the CS postmarked by midnight 19 August (35 days) of the nominating year to be counted. Ballots postmarked after August 19 of the will not be counted.

Flatwater Falconer
05-28-2010, 09:16 AM
Hi All,

Thanks for the nominations so far!

Several well-meaning falconers have submitted nominations for folks who weren't consulted first!
If you wish to nominate a candidate it is your responsibility to make certain they wish to run.
My responsibility is simply to report back to the Association membership the nominations. This does not guarantee the nominee will submit their bio and be on the ballot. It only means they've been nominated.
Also, please remember, if YOU wish to get involved you certainly are encouraged to put your own name "into the hat." I would like to see as many candidates for each position as will run. I would very much like to see more women involved as well. But to everyone - if you are considering running but haven't decided - get in touch with me and I'll try to answer any questions you have.
We really do have a wonderful Association and it is getting better every day. The energy I have seen is inspiring. It is a new Association - there have been many positive changes since I joined in 1997.

All the best,

sharptail
05-28-2010, 02:20 PM
[QUOTE=Flatwater Falconer;129946][FONT=Garamond][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Hi All,
I would very much like to see more women involved as well. QUOTE]

Gee, I couldl have gone all day without a sexist comment! I don't care what gender a candidate is, just how they will help run the club.

Hunter45
05-28-2010, 07:43 PM
will the candidate, if elected, help get to "YES" where that is the answer to the question, "Is his/her vote, philosophy, actions, etc. good for falconry in general and NAFA members in particular?"

If ego, power, prestige, etc. are in any way involved in the motives for the person running for office, then that is probably a good reason to pass on that person.

At our last Director's meeting (5.20.10) I believe the membership numbers effective 3/10 were north of 1,900, comparable to last year's or somewhat ahead.

We need ALL falconers of good will, ethics, and with a desire to contribute to the welfare and continuation of our sport to be in NAFA. The past is just that. Let it go. Move on. Hold no grudges. That is how we will move forward.

Thanks for the info provided on this thread on the rules for nominating someone. Hopefully we will find some more good people who want to serve in NAFA to consider for these various Directorships.

MrBill
05-30-2010, 11:03 AM
I was pretty active in NAFA until 1996 and since then I have not contributed at all to the organization except to pay my dues. During this period of time I was a critic of NAFA for the reasons we have heard over the years ad naseum. Last year I attended my first NAFA meet in 14 years, and I must say that it was the poorest attended NAFA meet I have ever gone to. I was disappointed. I later learned through the HC that the membership had dropped (in the US) to around 1200 people. In the 90's it was closer to 3000, so the low attendance was understandable.

Having said this, I was encouraged to learn that NAFA had appointed a Strategic Planning Committee to address age-old concerns of the membership. I know most of the committe and can say that NAFA chose the right people to head it up. I was also impressed when I learned from Dr. Cappy Leland (whom I also know) that NAFA had contracted him to help them develop and evaluate these plans. Cappy told me he felt the seminar he conducted with the powers-that-be at the NAFA meet was very producted. This would NEVER have happened years ago. The old guard was too entrenched. So, obviously, NAFA is making a concerted effort to make necessary changes and improve their membership. As a result, I am going to support the club once again any way I can; and I would encourage each of you folks to do the same. In other words, let's give NAFA a chance to redeem intself (at least in the eyes of some of us) and lend a helping hand. Thanks.

Bill Boni
Norman, OK

GregMik
05-30-2010, 01:14 PM
I see the molt is in full swing......crazyy

Greg

Lowachi
05-30-2010, 03:57 PM
I see the molt is in full swing......crazyy

Greg

Amazing how short a time it takes, isn't it Greg? There's always Direct TVtoungeout

Hunter45
05-30-2010, 04:20 PM
I was pretty active in NAFA until 1996 and since then I have not contributed at all to the organization except to pay my dues. During this period of time I was a critic of NAFA for the reasons we have heard over the years ad naseum. Last year I attended my first NAFA meet in 14 years, and I must say that it was the poorest attended NAFA meet I have ever gone to. I was disappointed. I later learned through the HC that the membership had dropped (in the US) to around 1200 people. In the 90's it was closer to 3000, so the low attendance was understandable.

Having said this, I was encouraged to learn that NAFA had appointed a Strategic Planning Committee to address age-old concerns of the membership. I know most of the committe and can say that NAFA chose the right people to head it up. I was also impressed when I learned from Dr. Cappy Leland (whom I also know) that NAFA had contracted him to help them develop and evaluate these plans. Cappy told me he felt the seminar he conducted with the powers-that-be at the NAFA meet was very producted. This would NEVER have happened years ago. The old guard was too entrenched. So, obviously, NAFA is making a concerted effort to make necessary changes and improve their membership. As a result, I am going to support the club once again any way I can; and I would encourage each of you folks to do the same. In other words, let's give NAFA a chance to redeem intself (at least in the eyes of some of us) and lend a helping hand. Thanks.

Bill Boni
Norman, OK

Bill, thank you for this excellent commentary(which I will be passing on to fellow Board members and the officers of NAFA). It will take time and patience for NAFA to implement all the ideas and changes that will make it live up to its potential, but you have a Board and Officers that certainly are open and trying to make that a reality. The support and encouragement of the membership, and most importantly, their polite, constructive, and thoughtful feedback on what we are doing right and not so right are key to making this happen.

Feel free to contact me at my official email address on the NAFA website. As you may or may not know I am still recovering from a horrific traffic accident (4.9.10 head on collision in CA w/person who crossed centerline into our lane and killed my dear wife of 37 years and injured myself (critically) and other family members (seriously), so I'm a little limited in my ability to respond. But I'm better every day! I walked for the first time this week. Again thanks for your terrific commentary and desire to once again support NAFA.

MrBill
05-30-2010, 08:30 PM
Hi Greg,

It so good to hear from you. And, yes, I know of the terrible accident that killed your beloved wife; in fact, I wrote you an e-mail a while ago expressing Belinda and my heartfelt feelings for your loss. We are so glad that you are making progress. I'll be in touch.

Take care,

Bill

Saluqi
06-01-2010, 07:39 PM
I threw my name in the hat today for Mtn Director (actually a friend did it for me), I figured if no one else runs I might stand a snow ball's chance of winning! Seriously, I was asked by a few friends and I figured I'd better either put up or shut up, and I'm better at not shutting up, so we'll see where this goes. More to come obviously....

FredFogg
06-01-2010, 07:51 PM
I threw my name in the hat today for Mtn Director (actually a friend did it for me), I figured if no one else runs I might stand a snow ball's chance of winning! Seriously, I was asked by a few friends and I figured I'd better either put up or shut up, and I'm better at not shutting up, so we'll see where this goes. More to come obviously....

Paul, I think you would do an excellent job! If I were in your region, I would vote for you!

GregMik
06-01-2010, 08:17 PM

Awesome Paul! Good luck, I would vote for you if I could also!

Greg

Chris L.
06-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Paul,

Congrats on deciding to do it. I know you will be a great fit. You have my vote

Lowachi
06-01-2010, 11:57 PM
atta boy Paul. I'm sure yer ol' sponsor can help abit<VBG> Congratulations fer steppin' up!

Flatwater Falconer
06-02-2010, 08:52 AM
Hello All;

There are only a few days to nominate directors! Please send in your nomination TODAY.
You may nominate youself. The main requirements are that you are a resident of the directorate for which you will run, and that you are a regular member in good standing.
We have several uncontested directorates for which I would like to see multiple candidates.
Remember - June 5 is the last day of the nomination period - so get them in right away.
Thank you to everyone who has stepped up so far. I am looking forward to an interesting election.
All the best,

ericedw
06-02-2010, 10:29 AM

Oh boy, now you've done it (welc)

But seriously, that's great Paul, good luck.

RyanVZ
06-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Is there a place on NAFA's website that lists the Officers' responsibilities and could give one an idea of what would be required of a person who won a position? I, like most, will claim that I am in no position to take on any more responsibilities at the moment, but I can see where some might be apprehensive to be nominated without knowing things upfront like: Are there meetings I have to be at in person, how much time does the position take on average, how much of my own $ will I have to spend to do the job right, etc, etc, etc. I would be interested in seeing at least a generic, yet realistic "job description," somewhere. I would think that this could potentially ease some of the fears that some might have about what one could expect should they win an election and may encourage others to step up. ( I may just be included in the this group, at least in the future ;) noidea)

Flatwater Falconer
06-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Is there a place on NAFA's website that lists the Officers' responsibilities and could give one an idea of what would be required of a person who won a position? I, like most, will claim that I am in no position to take on any more responsibilities at the moment, but I can see where some might be apprehensive to be nominated without knowing things upfront like: Are there meetings I have to be at in person, how much time does the position take on average, how much of my own $ will I have to spend to do the job right, etc, etc, etc. I would be interested in seeing at least a generic, yet realistic "job description," somewhere. I would think that this could potentially ease some of the fears that some might have about what one could expect should they win an election and may encourage others to step up. ( I may just be included in the this group, at least in the future ;) noidea)

Hi Ryan,

Good question! You can do several things -

Contact your current director
Contact any director-at-large
Contact Dianne Moller (Director Moller has prepared a booklet describing in general terms what some of the duties and expectations for director and candidates to consider.)
Current Association members may access the web site. Under the search tab type in Operations Manual and follow the link to 'Directors Handbook' to read it.

Hope this helps.

All the best,

RyanVZ
06-02-2010, 01:36 PM
Thanks Donna! That is exactly was I was looking for but could not find. :)

outhawkn
06-26-2010, 01:49 AM
Personally. I'd like to see each person running for office open a thread on here and invite questions. Then the question and the answer is here for all to see. This way we could get to know the person running and see who does what they say they'll do and who doesnt.

Tony James
06-26-2010, 02:36 AM
Personally. I'd like to see each person running for office open a thread on here and invite questions. Then the question and the answer is here for all to see. This way we could get to know the person running and see who does what they say they'll do and who doesnt.

Hi Bill,

perhaps if they were running for the position of Nafex Director, rather than NAFA.
Hope you're well,

best wishes,

Tony.

Flatwater Falconer
06-26-2010, 08:56 AM

Hi Bill,

You are, of course, free to phone the director candidates. In fact, I encourage you to do so.

Ron Clarke did extensive q & a here at nafex last year as did Greg Thomas.

I think your idea could be expanded to perhaps a dialogue evening - not a debate - but an open forum dialogue night where the candidates are all available at one setting. It would take some organization and thought. Can't promise anything for this round of elections but perhaps in the future.

Saluqi
06-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Welcome back Bill.

Sure, if Eric is up for it I'll participate in a thread where you can ask questions about falconry related issues.

ericedw
06-26-2010, 10:58 AM
Welcome back Bill.

Sure, if Eric is up for it I'll participate in a thread where you can ask questions about falconry related issues.

Wel, I'm not running for a position this go around, the SE position isn't up until next year.

But, I'm certainly not shy about answering questions any time, I like a good debate. boxingg

outhawkn
06-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Welcome back Bill.

Thanks....a death in the family, again...sure takes its toll.

Saluqi
06-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Wel, I'm not running for a position this go around, the SE position isn't up until next year.

But, I'm certainly not shy about answering questions any time, I like a good debate. boxingg

Sorry, Eric, I was referring to Eric Tabb.

Saluqi
06-26-2010, 04:12 PM
Thanks....a death in the family, again...sure takes its toll.

Sorry to hear that Bill, I know how it goes, lost my folks over the past few years...

ericedw
06-26-2010, 04:13 PM
Sorry, Eric, I was referring to Eric Tabb.

dohh